Does anyone else wish that RG wasn't a requirement for competitive arena?

Prev1
RAYRAY
2761 posts Member
I know there are other comps that are successful but having RG in more top arena teams than Dooku ever was is getting boring. I am not saying he is OP, he is what a tank should be-the ultimate sacrifice and protector for your team. I just wish it wasn't mandatory to have him in order to defend on defense. Teams are more fun when you can have another dynamic character other than RG in that slot. Maybe more effective tanks are needed. STH is getting a lot of talk but I find any team that has had him to be a very easy win (I don't think I have lost to one on offense).
☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV

Replies

• Options
    i've never had RG and regularly place 1st/2nd, i do suffer on defence though, i will be getting him starred up next level up on the catina shard though just for that purpose. i find either QGJ humbling blow, or ventress special to remove RG taunt effective, so you can kill off 1/2 toons then finish of RG. i like the variety in teams but agree RG is everywhere but isn't causing to many problems for me.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is more a flavor thing than a OMG RG is OP thing. He is just kinda boring.
  • Algren
    306 posts Member
    Options
    Nah, RG doesn't really bother me, no where near as prevalent as dooku was. St han is better imo
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Han is a great alternative. You don't need RG and some still use no tank
  • Options
    I don't think RG is mandatory, I'm usually staying at the top of my shard (mid dec) without him. I'm one of few that use ST Han instead, and I know I do quite well on defense as well. Usually I don't drop more than to 10-15 place during the night.
    I'm using dooku (L), qgj, yoda, ST Han and Rey, I would probably not do well without dooku lead though hehe. But I'm sure there are lots of ways, for example now after ackbars change, rebels will be really good!
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    J7000 wrote: »
    Han is a great alternative. You don't need RG and some still use no tank

This is true, on Offense. If I take out RG and put in STH I would expect a drop into the 20's. With RG I rarely leave the top 10 on defense.
  • Jcrandall21
    151 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Half the teams in my top 10 don't have RG. So you don't need him to be competitive.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hmm, Maybe it is time for a change? I just know before I put RG in the line up I would fall out of the top 10 overnight. Now with RG, I barely leave the top 10 ever. In my shard the top (including the level 77-80 players) that stay in the top 10 all run RG. Some come in from time to time without RG but they don't last and are easy kills on offense. I guess i need to get to work on STH.
  • Options
    Im sitting on 1st right now and im currently only1 who doesnt use rg on top20, but i too think its lame that all ppl just go no-brainer and use him just bc they think hes awesome and op, well throw in daka and ee and the threat rises.
    Still easy to beat all those rg's when you get used to fight them everytime.
  • Options
    Dooku Lead, Rg all in my server
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Calling something optimal vs uncompetitive gets abused on the forums a lot. Not every single combination will be optimal, but there are many competitive combinations
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    I have a 4* GL VIII RG. He does me good, but he's not the end all be all for arena. ST Han is who I'm going after now. I think he's way more viable. There's one person in the top 20 who has him and I find his team to be quite annoying as you have to get rid of Han first. He runs Akbar lead with ST Han and by the time I go, his whole team has attacked twice.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    He's not, just one shot him. Hilarious that people use their 4 star RG and Dookus.
  • SmokedSnipe
    28 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Funny how teams with synergy like FO, Rebel, Nightsister, Resistance, cant compeat with a team that has RG, and QGJ in a squad with no synergy...
    So tired of fighting arena teams with RG and QGJ 95% of the time.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RG is a fear factor, that's why people use him. He really isn't that hard to beat but...he is feared. I would swap him with Han even in defense if i had more than one tank and if i had a team behind Han. Otherwise i would need Han at gear 9 for RG to probably go away, because i ain't swapping my gear 9 RG for gear 8 Han.

And i've lost way more battles in offense against Han than against RG. Gear 8 RG that is. Han is a better defender if you make the right team. Just imo. RG is more of a 'i fit almost everywhere and i am decent' type of tank. Can't judge gear 9 yet, although gear 9 in the right team is a bit too much i think. But we will see when everybody reaches gear 9 if i still feel that way.
  • Options
    Just put Dooku, Daka, RG, IG88, and GS in your squad and no one will challenge you ever.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    ObranVox wrote: »
    Just put Dooku, Daka, RG, IG88, and GS in your squad and no one will challenge you ever.

That's a very beatable team.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Dooku was never actually a problem. People were afraid of him. RG is the same. People are afraid. The next guy is Omega Fives.

The only defense in arena is to not be attacked so people's perception of your team is more important then the actual teams abiliyy
  • Options
    I've been avoiding RG teams, but yesterday I had no choice if I wanted to advance to the next reward tier. My team (no RG) took him down along with Dooku, Rey, GS and Daka, won the match if only barely. RG isn't a requirement.
    Everybody is running 7* G8/9 teams on my ladder from #1-200 and probably further. About the only difference is character level and Omega abilities now at #1-20. Point is, RG teams can be beaten.
  • Options
    He's not a requirement, but a gear IX is about as big of an advantage you can get in this game. Which is saying something.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    ObranVox wrote: »

I'll beat that team easily and I'll use Phasma instead of a Dooku lead
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    The RG's on my server aren't fully starred or geared yet, so he's easy to take down. Focus on him first, let yours come into play and you have theirs toasted before yours. Use a heal if he gets to yellow.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Dooku was never actually a problem. People were afraid of him. RG is the same. People are afraid. The next guy is Omega Fives.

The only defense in arena is to not be attacked so people's perception of your team is more important then the actual teams abiliyy

You could be right, of course we have no way to know, it would be nice if we had the stats. I do know that during reward time I have attempted to fight but was already being attacked, and didn't lose. This has happened too many times to count so I know I am defending some. These are fights with maxed out good teams that have trouble beating me at times. That said, the only thing I can go by is the fact that I can sit in a position, say 2nd, for hours on end. Maybe that is because people don't want to attack an omega fives and omega savage on a dooku lead team with RG.

ETA: I agree, Dooku was never a problem.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @RAYRAY RG is like the little kid who is also asthmatic compared to what Dooku lead was pre-update.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Alexone wrote: »
    @RAYRAY RG is like the little kid who is also asthmatic compared to what Dooku lead was pre-update.

I am curious as to why you think there is a difference with Dooku after the update? Do you think he is more balanced now? If so, why? Do you think Dooku lead is balanced now?

The reason I ask is that I still run him and I still get dodges and offense up. In other words, very little changed. I still get double attacks and stuns (they just happen to go to the tank now which makes the tank die that much quicker). Considering I usually prioritize killing RG anyway, I don't see a big change.
    He did get a damage nerf in the balancing update, is that what you are referring to? Because my dooku still double attacks for 3k each hit and still gets turn meter when he goes out of turn. If he gets hit by 5's twice, he will attack the tank 4 times (if the tank is still alive). He is still very useful as a leader. He doesn't attack the assisting character now. That is the only change of consequence. That being said, if you think he is balanced now, you are proving that he was never broken.
  • Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »

I do know that during reward time I have attempted to fight but was already being attacked, and didn't lose. This has happened too many times to count so I know I am defending some.

FWIW, one tactic is-- if you've secured first nearing payout-- to attack someone else (hopefully second to not be a ****) and just sit there and let the time run out. Not saying your team isn't winning on defense, but could sometimes be that. :)

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »

I do know that during reward time I have attempted to fight but was already being attacked, and didn't lose. This has happened too many times to count so I know I am defending some.

FWIW, one tactic is-- if you've secured first nearing payout-- to attack someone else (hopefully second to not be a ****) and just sit there and let the time run out. Not saying your team isn't winning on defense, but could sometimes be that. :)

I know this is true because I do it too:) . I guess I don't know why I defend well, it could be RG, it could be "fear", etc. I just know I don't leave the top 10 very often and it's been that way since I got RG to 7 stars (even before the balancing update).
  • Options
    The thing you need to learn with RG is how to attack around him. You can't just focus fire one toon get them to yellow and then beat on RG. You have to setup a character as low in the green health as you can and then use a special or assist to knock it out. Practicing with your team and their basic attacks to learn how much damage you will subtract, roughly, helps in these situations. I prefer to see RG than ST Han at this point to be honest, ST Han's abilities are far more dangerous in my opinion, even Poe can be.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    The thing you need to learn with RG is how to attack around him. You can't just focus fire one toon get them to yellow and then beat on RG. You have to setup a character as low in the green health as you can and then use a special or assist to knock it out. Practicing with your team and their basic attacks to learn how much damage you will subtract, roughly, helps in these situations. I prefer to see RG than ST Han at this point to be honest, ST Han's abilities are far more dangerous in my opinion, even Poe can be.

This. +1
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options

I think the difference on defense could be the fact that the AI can't really mess up RG. He attacks and stuns, Gives himself and the team a decent buff and he automatically taunts. AND he has amazing health. The AI just can't mess that up. STH and Poe taunt first but with the right team you can still kill someone before that taunt goes off, even after the balance changes and protection. I do it all the time.