Does anyone else wish that RG wasn't a requirement for competitive arena?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Dooku was never actually a problem. People were afraid of him. RG is the same. People are afraid. The next guy is Omega Fives.

The only defense in arena is to not be attacked so people's perception of your team is more important then the actual teams abiliyy

I do know that during reward time I have attempted to fight but was already being attacked, and didn't lose. This has happened too many times to count so I know I am defending some.

FWIW, one tactic is-- if you've secured first nearing payout-- to attack someone else (hopefully second to not be a ****) and just sit there and let the time run out. Not saying your team isn't winning on defense, but could sometimes be that. :)

I know this is true because I do it too:) . I guess I don't know why I defend well, it could be RG, it could be "fear", etc. I just know I don't leave the top 10 very often and it's been that way since I got RG to 7 stars (even before the balancing update).

It probably is RG. :)
  • Options
    For this ai, the simpler the kit the better.
    Dooku and rg have simple kits.
  • Options

For sure. The AI plays Yoda like a ****. Dooku... nope let's not battle meditate, let's use an attack meant for the target to be in yellow health.... GG
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options

This is a good point and perhaps another reason I don't drop too much. My team is Dooku, Savage, Fives, RG and Rey/QGJ (most of the time). Those toons all have very simple kits. Savage won't use his special unless someone is under 25% (which is easier to know if you are the AI), Fives will either call for an assist or shoot, can't really screw that up. Dooku will lightening someone first and counter. Rey will use her second special first or third if she has a positive effect (I think). QGJ will open with his assist and not use his second special unless there is a positive effect to remove and RG will be RG. My team on defense only really needs to make one decision and that is WHO to attack. The rest of the decisions are the same that I would make in general (Other than focusing a character).
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Alexone wrote: »
    @RAYRAY RG is like the little kid who is also asthmatic compared to what Dooku lead was pre-update.

I am curious as to why you think there is a difference with Dooku after the update? Do you think he is more balanced now? If so, why? Do you think Dooku lead is balanced now?

The reason I ask is that I still run him and I still get dodges and offense up. In other words, very little changed. I still get double attacks and stuns (they just happen to go to the tank now which makes the tank die that much quicker). Considering I usually prioritize killing RG anyway, I don't see a big change.
    He did get a damage nerf in the balancing update, is that what you are referring to? Because my dooku still double attacks for 3k each hit and still gets turn meter when he goes out of turn. If he gets hit by 5's twice, he will attack the tank 4 times (if the tank is still alive). He is still very useful as a leader. He doesn't attack the assisting character now. That is the only change of consequence. That being said, if you think he is balanced now, you are proving that he was never broken.

By pre-update i am saying pre-fortitude, that's what i meant. This little nerf they did here to make him only counter tanks...means nothing, people are exaggerating, they're even saying CT 5s is bad lol. And i can tell you pre-fortitude, that in most fights 2 dodges were all it took for my team to lose. And so, i lost often. Did i have the best team to attack Dooku with? No, but i didn't have much else. Dodge will never be balanced, dodging an entire attack will always be OP, HOWEVER, after fortitude it's more tolerable. Because there aren't anymore one-shots. So the effects of dodge have been mitigated.

I am also sure a megathread on Ben will be opened soon, although Ben doesn't have the kit Dooku has, so maybe not.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    @RAYRAY RG is like the little kid who is also asthmatic compared to what Dooku lead was pre-update.

I am curious as to why you think there is a difference with Dooku after the update? Do you think he is more balanced now? If so, why? Do you think Dooku lead is balanced now?

The reason I ask is that I still run him and I still get dodges and offense up. In other words, very little changed. I still get double attacks and stuns (they just happen to go to the tank now which makes the tank die that much quicker). Considering I usually prioritize killing RG anyway, I don't see a big change.
    He did get a damage nerf in the balancing update, is that what you are referring to? Because my dooku still double attacks for 3k each hit and still gets turn meter when he goes out of turn. If he gets hit by 5's twice, he will attack the tank 4 times (if the tank is still alive). He is still very useful as a leader. He doesn't attack the assisting character now. That is the only change of consequence. That being said, if you think he is balanced now, you are proving that he was never broken.

By pre-update i am saying pre-fortitude, that's what i meant. This little nerf they did here to make him only counter tanks...means nothing, people are exaggerating, they're even saying CT 5s is bad lol. And i can tell you pre-fortitude, that in most fights 2 dodges were all it took for my team to lose. And so, i lost often. Did i have the best team to attack Dooku with? No, but i didn't have much else. Dodge will never be balanced, dodging an entire attack will always be OP, HOWEVER, after fortitude it's more tolerable. Because there aren't anymore one-shots. So the effects of dodge have been mitigated.

I am also sure a megathread on Ben will be opened soon, although Ben doesn't have the kit Dooku has, so maybe not.

Got it. I agree, post protection where one hitting isn't the meta anymore, each dodge isn't as game changing. Thanks for clarifying. Oh and I already started the Old Ben Dodge Megathread (bentwookie rightfully edited out the megathread from my title). I am sure you are right, there will certainly be some talk about OB when more realize he is fixed.

PS. Leia's AI doesn't keep her perma-stealthed anymore:) so that's good.
  • bbmiLo
    378 posts Member
    Options
    Offense got a lot easier after the update, even a mediocre team without RG can hit #1 in arena. but on defense, without RG you will get attacked all day, just like without Poe during the Poe-meta.

Han on the other hand, can cause real trouble IF he gets the taunt off AND lives on. But in reality, I can take Han out before he even gets to move.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options

Got it. I agree, post protection where one hitting isn't the meta anymore, each dodge isn't as game changing. Thanks for clarifying. Oh and I already started the Old Ben Dodge Megathread (bentwookie rightfully edited out the megathread from my title). I am sure you are right, there will certainly be some talk about OB when more realize he is fixed.

I know, made a thread yesterday, thank devs for that! :smile: She is still beast and man would i want her. And lmao at the Old Ben thread!
  • Lambi
    473 posts Member
    Options
    Han better at g9
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options

I know, made a thread yesterday, thank devs for that! :smile: She is still beast and man would i want her. And lmao at the Old Ben thread!

I have her at one furnace way from gear 9, 7*. I am for sure going to put her on the team when I get he abilities leveled. I need 26 more purple mats before I can max out her abilities (and 1.25 levels before I can max out her stealth).
  • Royce
    83 posts Member
    Options
    What the devs should do is copy final fantasy's gameplay where players are allowed to use different gears and apply different stats for each character. like for example you can increase the speed of a slower toon to be at par with high speed high damage toons or you can increase the health of glass canons. something like that. Devs should play more RPG to understand this but I hope they get the point.
    In-game name: Royce. Ally code: 844-142-988
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Royce wrote: »
    What the devs should do is copy final fantasy's gameplay where players are allowed to use different gears and apply different stats for each character. like for example you can increase the speed of a slower toon to be at par with high speed high damage toons or you can increase the health of glass canons. something like that. Devs should play more RPG to understand this but I hope they get the point.

Yes, this was something that I had to get used to coming from other RPG's. You could completely change a character based on what gear you gave them. However, I feel like the fact that this is a mobile game, they needed to do gear the way they did to make it easier to balance everyone.
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The thing you need to learn with RG is how to attack around him. You can't just focus fire one toon get them to yellow and then beat on RG. You have to setup a character as low in the green health as you can and then use a special or assist to knock it out. Practicing with your team and their basic attacks to learn how much damage you will subtract, roughly, helps in these situations. I prefer to see RG than ST Han at this point to be honest, ST Han's abilities are far more dangerous in my opinion, even Poe can be.

I think the difference on defense could be the fact that the AI can't really mess up RG. He attacks and stuns, Gives himself and the team a decent buff and he automatically taunts. AND he has amazing health. The AI just can't mess that up. STH and Poe taunt first but with the right team you can still kill someone before that taunt goes off, even after the balance changes and protection. I do it all the time.

What's funny is Jesse said they'd make character changes in small increments but, tank-wise, RG went from last to 1st. -Chit to Chic.
    I have STHan at 6.5 stars but I'm on a mature server so can't use him yet. I'm very curious if he's actually as good as ppl make him out to be.
    As you mentioned - When I face him in Arena, I take him out 1st. He never gets his taunt off and he's a non-issue. Maybe I just haven't faced him at gear 9 yet?? I was thinking about putting both STHan AND RG with droids.
    ~ There is a great disturbance in the forum. ~
  • Options
    Bon_El wrote: »
    The thing you need to learn with RG is how to attack around him. You can't just focus fire one toon get them to yellow and then beat on RG. You have to setup a character as low in the green health as you can and then use a special or assist to knock it out. Practicing with your team and their basic attacks to learn how much damage you will subtract, roughly, helps in these situations. I prefer to see RG than ST Han at this point to be honest, ST Han's abilities are far more dangerous in my opinion, even Poe can be.

I think the difference on defense could be the fact that the AI can't really mess up RG. He attacks and stuns, Gives himself and the team a decent buff and he automatically taunts. AND he has amazing health. The AI just can't mess that up. STH and Poe taunt first but with the right team you can still kill someone before that taunt goes off, even after the balance changes and protection. I do it all the time.

What's funny is Jesse said they'd make character changes in small increments but, tank-wise, RG went from last to 1st. -Chit to Chic.
    I have STHan at 6.5 stars but I'm on a mature server so can't use him yet. I'm very curious if he's actually as good as ppl make him out to be.
    As you mentioned - When I face him in Arena, I take him out 1st. He never gets his taunt off and he's a non-issue. Maybe I just haven't faced him at gear 9 yet?? I was thinking about putting both STHan AND RG with droids.

With aa lead he gets taunt off before i can kill him.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Bon_El wrote: »

With aa lead he gets taunt off before i can kill him.

Good point, my hope for this game is that rebel teams, sith teams, Jedi teams, Empire teams, droid teams, etc all become "decent". Sure there should be some hard counters like sith should have an advantage over jedi (small but there), Jedi over droids, rebels over empire, Clones over jedi (or synergy WITH jedi). Etc.