Is Sid must have?

All the suggestions I read are Sid first from arena. I have only been playing 3 days (I know, seasoned veteran) but I invested in the droid pack because I wanted more dark side for campaign and it seemed like a good deal.

I am loving droids!!! I use the 3 droids with Poe and an AOE attacker like jawa and have been killing it in arena so far. Farming gear for all of them. Can't wait to get Poggle.

Here is my question. Do I have to unlock Sidious because he seems so unanimously strong? Or could I switch to leveling IG88 or HK47? I know I can do whatever I want but is that just dumb for efficiency? If droid leveling is a viable strategy should I start with HK (4star) or IG88 (3star)?

Also since I am heavily using Poe can I star him instead of getting daka? Or once again will that hurt my progression?

So many questions after 3 days.... Thanks for any advice

Replies

• Options
    Darth Sidious features heavily in arena, i've unlocked and levelled him but i'm actually levelling a Droid team myself instead.

I have HK-47, next IG 88 and 86 then Poggle the lesser.

If you want better tank/ability block, go for HK first, IG 88 is squishy but has some powerful attacks, especially with other debuffs.

Daka is great for PvE levels, rarely seem him/her in Arena though so up to you.

Sidous' main benefit is his natural dodge against Jedi and heal blocking regular attack, his leader ability to up crits is great as well.
  • Options
    Yes. Sid has high natural dodge against Jedi. Combine him with Luminara and he's a dodge machine. On top of that he has a hard hitting AoE(I've gotten crits near 3k before the DoT), his leader ability is fantastic, his basic attack hits hard, healing immunity debuff, good speed, and when any character dies he gets a heal. On top of that, he's easy to farm to 7*.
  • Nicks075
    210 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been playing since November and I have yet to unlock sid, I've been placing top 5 and most occasions top 3 in arena, and my server has lots of maxed out compition. I always finish gw.

If a droid team is working well with you I would say keep going with it. I 7 stared savage with my arena tokens and just unlocked ig88 and planning on 7 staring him before moving on. Probably going for hk 47 and ventress after that.
    I think I'm the only one that has no desire for sid, I'll never use him in arena and for darkside battles there's several to borrow at level 60 and 7 Stars since its what mostly everyone else shoots for.

Though I don't have her, Daka is very useful for darkside battles, I would love to have her right now for level 6 hard in darkside, I almost never see her in arena but when I do she is never a problem dealing with so I would say unless you want her for darkside battles I'd leave her go but like me you will eventually need her to progress in darkside battles.
    Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.
  • Options
    That actually leads to another question with your Daka comment. I finished the first 3 rounds of dark and light side but have been spending energy farming gear. Should I focus a certain amount of energy on progressing further?

Thanks for the response. Curious what others think.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick. I love that seemingly many strategies can work in this game. I'm sure more strategies will continue to evolve too. Hope the game is successful and continues to add content.
  • Options
    That actually leads to another question with your Daka comment. I finished the first 3 rounds of dark and light side but have been spending energy farming gear. Should I focus a certain amount of energy on progressing further?

Thanks for the response. Curious what others think.

That's tough to answer, progressing further leads to being able to farm shards on hard and also opens up more access to components to create gear that you will need to upgrade once your gear is leveled up to a certain level.

My best opinion would be to farm gear components that you have access to to get your primary team stronger, eventually you will need to progress through light and dark once you level your gear high enough. It won't use too much time or energy once you find yourself needing to progress. It's usually best to focus on getting your primary team as powerful as possible before anything else.
    Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sid is not a must. He is just a sure bet. One advantage of having Sid - and the most important, is to learn all the wayt to kill him. Just that knoledge is important enough, because he is too often see anywhere there is a level 60 team. Not everyone uses him, but most non-Pure-blood teams (same race) mix him in. His is very "mixable" and grants skills that are great to have (like immunity block).

After Sid's buff, I see very few heavy healer teams designed to stall Arena. Thank Sid for that!
  • Options
    You don't have to have Sid. You do need an anti-healer imho but IG88 works in place of sid. Droid teams seem viable end game and if you like em then keep rolling with them.

Sid is just the best bang for the buck when you're not sure what team you're building. I have him and like him but he's definitely replaceable.
  • Options
    If you have already started so early on the droid pack, I think Sid need not be your 1st choice.
    Sid's just a solid overall attacker for F2P players who don't have the ability to build a specialized roster early.

I recently got owned in Arena by a Droid Squad buffed with Poggle. They definitely pack a punch :smiley:
  • Options
    The team you have to make is:

Sidious
    Luminara
    Jedi Consular
    Chewie
    Count Dooku

Any other team is wrong. You have to farm these heroes, because it's the rules.

Everyone has to have the exact same team.

If you don't have this team you will fail in PVP.

Also, if you don't have at least one of these heroes in your PVP team you get banned.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    The team you have to make is:

Sidious
    Luminara
    Jedi Consular
    Chewie
    Count Dooku

Any other team is wrong. You have to farm these heroes, because it's the rules.

Everyone has to have the exact same team.

If you don't have this team you will fail in PVP.

Also, if you don't have at least one of these heroes in your PVP team you get banned.

You jest, but I faced that exact same team 3 times in a row two days ago in GW. One of them was level 60 and a huge pain in my behind (I'm only lvl 54 right now). I see a lot of teams that drop Chewie for Luke in that setup, but good lord am I getting sick of that cookie-cutter team everywhere.
  • Options
    I may or may not be giving away a amazing way of negating first round damage from a Sid party. Two characters Lobot and Admiral Ackbar, you're welcome and f#&$ Sid...
  • Options
    Sid is a solid unit until you get to diversify your roster. He's easy to get through arena, and will help you tons in pve and GW as well because he's a fast unit. There's not only "arena" in this game, if you want overall value, he's a huge return on your investment (instead of scenario-specific units like Han or HK-47), that's why so many got him.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    You can tell that there's something wrong with this game when I would rather lose to a pay to win Jedi team than win against the cookie cutter team in Arena.

(As I did a few minutes ago)
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options

You can tell that there's something wrong with this game when I would rather lose to a pay to win Jedi team than win against the cookie cutter team in Arena.

(As I did a few minutes ago)

The passive-aggressive is strong in this one.

There's nothing "wrong" with the majority of people having the same units a month after the release, because it's factually the best choice to begin with. It'll get better in time once everyone gets to start working on their "favourite character" or what's not and more units are introduced in the shipments.

Just like there's nothing "wrong" with the cookie-cutter taste of the masses enjoying the new SW movie.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    In a word, yes.
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well, anyone who has been following the meta knows that jedi teams are out and healers are on their way out. You're new, so I'll give you a quick on the meta shifts.

Healers were it. Every team had a minimum of 3. The healers synergised well with jedi, and then the meta started shifting towards jedi. After the anti jedi patch, the meta shifted away from jedi.

With that said, sid is a counter to healer heavy and jedi heavy metas. He wont do porely as he is a strong hero with a nice kit, but with the meta shifts, sid is fast becoming obsolete.

I would strongly suggest that you stay with what you are doing, and don't follow the FotM. Your path to droids will put you ahead of the meta by the time you level up.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    Options
    Once teams have chars that can replace jc and lumi sid will begin to fade away. I doubt he will ever be "obsolete" as he has good all around skills and hits hard, but a lot of other hero's hit hard and do something else, they just don't have heal block. Heal block isn't a must but it sure makes life easier.
  • Options
    All the suggestions I read are Sid first from arena. I have only been playing 3 days (I know, seasoned veteran) but I invested in the droid pack because I wanted more dark side for campaign and it seemed like a good deal.

I am loving droids!!! I use the 3 droids with Poe and an AOE attacker like jawa and have been killing it in arena so far. Farming gear for all of them. Can't wait to get Poggle.

Here is my question. Do I have to unlock Sidious because he seems so unanimously strong? Or could I switch to leveling IG88 or HK47? I know I can do whatever I want but is that just dumb for efficiency? If droid leveling is a viable strategy should I start with HK (4star) or IG88 (3star)?

Also since I am heavily using Poe can I star him instead of getting daka? Or once again will that hurt my progression?

So many questions after 3 days.... Thanks for any advice

The two things he brings is healing immunity and lasers hip skill. He's not the be-all end-all.

If you like droids better feel free to go for them instead.
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Options
    His self heal is his best attribute
  • Options
    IG-88 can prevent heals like Sid... But he ends up being more squishy than Sid because he lacks the Jedi Dodge and self heal.

Sid is currently the best f2p charachter in the game and is likely better than all the p2w also except maybe Rey (I don't have her so AI can't be for certain.)