Captain Phasma: the cookie cutter way to success

Prev1
Austin
61 posts Member
edited December 2015
If you take a look at the top 10 or 20 of your ladder, I guarantee that you will be hard pressed to find a team that doesn't have Captain Phasma as its leader. I can speak from experience, as to get to the number one spot in my ladder a couple days ago, all five of my attacks were used against Captain Phasma teams. I do not use Phasma myself (I use sidious), as I am completely f2p, and I'm still in the process of seven starring Luminara. The problem with Phasma teams lies in her leader abilitys proc rate while defending. I have used my allies' Phasmas before, and her leader ability does not seem nearly as overpowering as the defending teams in arena. I know that defenders in arena get a higher proc rate in compensation for terrible AI, but it is so irritating facing the same cookie cutter Captain Phasma teams because the higher proc rate benefits her leader ability so much. The rest of the community, along with myself, would probably greatly appreciate it if there was a slight decrease to her proc rate while defending in arena. I think this would be a step in the right direction towards creating a variety of different teams throughout the ladder.

On an slightly unrelated note, I know that fulfilling character requests are probably at the bottom of EA's to-do list. However, I think that adding more characters to the races that are small in number (jawa, clone, tusken raider, etc) should be next in line as far as new characters that are added to the game. This would actually make, say a clone synergy team, a viable option within the game, and undoubtedly would throw some more variety into the pvp ladder (which is definitely needed). I personally would love to see Captain Rex in game, if EA is looking for somewhere to start

EDIT: For all the people complaining that it's the way the AI procs is what needs to be fixed (despite me addressing it in the comments). I understand that this is the bigger issue, but you have to realize that this would be a HUGE task for the EA devs to address. My proposed idea would be a temporary solution until they could figure out a better way to configure the current AI system.
Post edited by Austin on

Replies

• Options
    I followed the crowd and just got my sid to 7*s and now phasma is the flavor of the month. Nerf her please.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Options
    Ummmmm....Captain Phasma is cookie cutter? Your Sidious is CC as there are 10 of those to every one Cap. Phasma you run up against. And she is most definitely a F2P option. Either you roll with it or you don't but don't come here crying about it. I use her due to sidious being a jedi killer, and I had to switch up my old jedi team and run 3 less jedi then before. She has a good anti-sith synergy, but is easily taken out by other teams.

The second part of your post is more constructed and can agree with.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    More nerfs to come
  • Options
    Why would you nerf phasma. The problem is not with her. The problem is with the way that the AI procs abilities
  • Options
    Get beat. Come to forums. Complain some one is OP.
  • Options
    Lol, Sid dominates my server too so, not sure where all this anger comes from? If I had to guess it sounds like your not use to the competition. If I were use to steam rolling PVP and that suddenly stopped I'd be like, WTH!
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Top_Quark wrote: »
    I don't think the character should be touched. It's ai compensation and the way ai behaves that needs to be looked into. Same thing makes Leia op too as you know.

Pretty much
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bleeaauuh wrote: »
    Why would you nerf phasma. The problem is not with her. The problem is with the way that the AI procs abilities
    This. There's nothing wrong with the character herself, and nerfing any character should always be a last resort. The problem is the way AI compensates with its silly high proc rate. That's what should be fixed.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    In my top 20 bracket only 1 has phasma as leader, 1 Im gun, 1 boba, 1 qgj, rest is either barriss or sid. So not everyone is running phasma.

The ai makes ALL charter abilities proc more then when a person uses them.

Wait till you run into a team sid, Vader, boba, old Ben. And Vader instant kills Barris because of all the debuffs and dots.

Wait till you run I to a team with Leia and tie pilot with boba as leader. Tie pilot will take out whoever he targets.

Wait till you run into a Jedi team with qgj as leader and everyone goes before you and kills your healer.

Do you see my point? Their are other options out there just as deadly ( if not more so ) than phasma. So please stop with the nerf stuff.

Oh and your second part I agree. But we have no idea what they are working on so have to wait and see, but the stuff you mention would be some nice additions
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    The top 40 on my server right now feature 11 Lumis, 17 Sids and 4 Phasmas.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    Rolf wrote: »
    This. There's nothing wrong with the character herself, and nerfing any character should always be a last resort. The problem is the way AI compensates with its silly high proc rate. That's what should be fixed.

Agree with both comments
  • Austin
    61 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    pay2win wrote: »
    Get beat. Come to forums. Complain some one is OP.

I never said anything about getting beat. In the past two three days, I have gotten rewards for rank 4, 2, and 1. You must not know how to read.
    Breetai wrote: »
    In my top 20 bracket only 1 has phasma as leader, 1 Im gun, 1 boba, 1 qgj, rest is either barriss or sid. So not everyone is running phasma.

The ai makes ALL charter abilities proc more then when a person uses them.

Wait till you run into a team sid, Vader, boba, old Ben. And Vader instant kills Barris because of all the debuffs and dots.

Wait till you run I to a team with Leia and tie pilot with boba as leader. Tie pilot will take out whoever he targets.

Wait till you run into a Jedi team with qgj as leader and everyone goes before you and kills your healer.

Do you see my point? Their are other options out there just as deadly ( if not more so ) than phasma. So please stop with the nerf stuff.

Oh and your second part I agree. But we have no idea what they are working on so have to wait and see, but the stuff you mention would be some nice additions

The issue is how the proc rate specifically benefits Phasma teams more compared to other teams. I don't think I would classify slightly toning down her proc rate while defending in arena as nerfing though (the word implies a much stronger change than what I am suggesting). As far as addressing your later writings, I ran into those teams more below the top 20. The boba-tie-leia team is not very fearsome imo. I faced one yesterday when I was climbin back up that had I think a six star tie pilot (he had really high health for a tie pilot) but I was still able to knock it out in one turn. There's nothing you can really do with leia right now though. Thankfully I haven't ran into any team like the first one you described because I have to admit that would be a nightmare.
  • Options
    I run Jawa as lead. Just cuz.
  • GhostChili
    29 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My leaderboard currently has only one Phasma as leader in the top 10.
  • Options
    Hmm. Maybe this is why I am finding it hard to stay in the top 200 since switching to sid as my leader. I used to sit around 185 every day with phasma leading.
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Its kinda a Phasma thing. It should benifit her team. You can just see and count the impact more easily with her leader skill, unlike with sid where everyone just performs much better. Those crits you're always getting, and their damage numbers... Phasma teams no not get that. Ever see a Ben move before your Sid? Yeah, thats a QGJ leader benefitting his team.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Options

I agree it's the AI that needs to be fixed, but that is a solution that would take a huge time investment by EA. What I am proposing would be a temporary solution.
  • Options
    Every character and team has strength and weaknesses. The more you play against them you'll pick up on how they work. The only "broken" character is Leia at the moment because of a bug with her skill. Just keep going and you'll grow into the game
  • Options
    1 in the top 20 - 2 in the top 30 on mine.
    /shrug
  • Options
    Pilot wrote: »
    I followed the crowd and just got my sid to 7*s and now phasma is the flavor of the month. Nerf her please.

This.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    While we're discussing Phasma, does anyone know what the deal is with the cooldowns on her abilities? Someone said he upgraded her advantage skill to level 5, when it is supposed to reduce the cooldown, but it didn't. So I'm afraid to waste my precious ability mats on her.
    Anyone know? Thanks.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    GhostChili wrote: »
    My leaderboard currently has only one Phasma as leader in the top 10.
    Mine too. Oh wait, it's the same server. You're the dreaded #1 ahhhh run!! ;)
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Austin
    61 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Aggropox wrote: »
    Pilot wrote: »

This.

Sidious was never used by most people with a group that would highly benefit from his leader skill. Most people just used him as their leader because that was the best leader skill they had. On the other hand, people with Captain Phasma teams generally have a team that highly benefits from her leader skill.
  • Options
    That's funny. Captain Phasma is new, and a pretty good leader, so of course people are using her. However 99 percent of the time, it seems like everyone and their momma has either a high level, high star, high level gear Sid or Lumi as their leader, as they are two OP characters that are both incredibly easy to farm. I enjoy and respect originality, I like seeing Phasma on the list, or other, lesser used characters.
    TNR Co-Founder
  • Options
    Yay another cry discussion about nerfing phasma yet again when its the defending ai procs that needs nerfed
  • Options
    Crittik wrote: »
    Yay another cry discussion about nerfing phasma yet again when its the defending ai procs that needs nerfed

See posts above
  • Options
    Nope

See posts above
    [/quote]

• Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    There are 19 in the top 200 on my server.
    Only 2 in the top 20 (8 different characters in top 20)

You need a very specific squad to utilize her effectively and even if perfected, that squad can be beaten, she is by no means overpowered.

Not playing in a vacuum, adjust your squad to beat your opponents. Don't cry nerf on scissors just 'cause you put a lot of effort into paper. Get a rock.

• Options
    Baal wrote: »
    There are 19 in the top 200 on my server.
    Only 2 in the top 20 (8 different characters in top 20)

You need a very specific squad to utilize her effectively and even if perfected, that squad can be beaten, she is by no means overpowered.

Not playing in a vacuum, adjust your squad to beat your opponents. Don't cry nerf on scissors just 'cause you put a lot of effort into paper. Get a rock.

The problem isn't that Phasma is unbeatable. It's more of the fact that 90% of what I fight is scissors.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    That's funny. Captain Phasma is new, and a pretty good leader, so of course people are using her. However 99 percent of the time, it seems like everyone and their momma has either a high level, high star, high level gear Sid or Lumi as their leader, as they are two OP characters that are both incredibly easy to farm. I enjoy and respect originality, I like seeing Phasma on the list, or other, lesser used characters.

I'm actually developing a Phasma team, but I can't field it yet, because the characters are too low-star and the resulting power level (around 18k right now) would lead to everyone sniping me. It will take probably until mid-January to get it where it needs to be.
    This will be a bit different than some other Phasma teams. But the point is that it takes some effort and time. Teams led by Sid or Lumi don't. I do not see a big issue with Phasma atm, even when played by the AI. As someone said, it's just more noticeable when her leadership ability procs, whereas as passive leadership ability is less noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.