My thoughts on F2P vs P2P. (Long and Detailed)

13Next

Replies

• dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    there's someone who got a full furnace as a reward for 48th place in tier 6 raid what a lucky son of a gun
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    Alexone wrote: »

Ok...what about raids? Who wins the #1 if those three fight it out?
    and how about the guy who finishes last in @telaan 's guild ? I think its fair to assume that he probably spend more than the average player, yet he gets 50th place rewards. Spending money got him exactly nothing to show for.. P2L ? makes no sense does it ?
    edit: he got double shafted, lost his money, and got a crap reward. Where the f2p only gets a crap reward. does not seem fair to me.

And this is precisely the point we've made to @CG_JohnSalera in some of our feedback. The current system actually discourages whales and other p2p players from congregating in the same guild. It's an utterly ridiculous design.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    MY Thoughts. Thank you for those who P2P, as you give the developers a reason to continue developing a game that people can also enjoy playing F2P. And for those F2P complaining about P2P, please remember that. Also, it's a mobile game. It's meant to be "casual". Don't get so worked up about it.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    @Telaan How many tries it took them to beat that number 3? How many tries you think it takes no3 to beat them? How do you think no3 performs in raids versus those 2 other guys (you can understand what his roster is only from those 5 guys)? You think they keep their spot like no3 does? If their Arena times would be the same as no3, would they ever get no1 ever? If this were live pvp and not playing against AI would they ever win?

I also understand what you are saying, but no3 has the advantage over them. It's not like in my case, because i don't even those 2 f2p players teams, but it's there.

The discussion is about competitiveness. The fact that someone with that roster is able to still even dream of competing let alone actually do it shows there is not a f2p vs p2p imbalance in this game.

I seriously don't know how anyone can genuinely believe there is. I'm showing pictorial evidence that there's not.

In a game that truly favors p2p players that roster would never be viable in a top 3 spot. Ever. The only reason f2p are feeling a perceived pinch right now is because the increased level cap has allowed p2p players to put distance between them. This is normal in any freemium game. As soon as f2p reach level cap, that gap will really disappear just as it did at 70.

You'll also notice that in the top 3, in that screenshot, there is only one premium toon. Every other one is f2p.

Alright, let's say they can 'compete' although beating the AI is nevermind...Ok...what about raids? Who wins the #1 if those three fight it out?

Also what happens if a f2p god forbids, farms what he wants instead of those toons those two guys farmed for? When is he catching up to no3? He doesn't have a way to get top 3 and he can't buy furnaces.

Then again i really shouldn't wonder, i mean...there is disparity even between f2p lol.

You've just highlighted my point. The design of tiered rewards based on a DPS leaderboard is an abysmal design. I cannot believe it made it out of the beer napkin stage of planning. Raids are a group effort and every member should be rewarded as such. This should be the focus of arguments, not p2p vs f2p.

That leaderboard goes to show it's entirely possible for that team to potentially win. I'm honestly not sure what other discussion there is to be had. I'm not sure what you mean by fight it out though.

If a f2p farms what he wants rather than what is competitive, then he had no one to blame but himself for anything that occurs as a result. I see players make the argument all the time about the meta changing and whales just changing with it. But how true can that be when that player is still running Phasma and fotp? Clearly this game is much more forgiving than many like to give the impression it is.

I don't know...i can't beat no1, he has 7k power over me and he is full of gear 10/11. It's ridiculous just when i look at it. If there were 2 more like him, man! Makes me not even want to try it lately because i know what happens. I am beginning to hate Leia again...frustrating...anyway! If i don't buy furnaces, i will spend more crystals to get into top 3, people will attack me more, because at the very least, higher level gear is a fear factor. So to me, being able to get furnaces very fast is a tremendous advantage, but i see what you are saying. It can be done, i will beat him eventually. Not now...but it will happen.

I agree about the raid rewards. The system is something i didn't understand from second one and i will keep reminding everyone how bad it is on a constant basis. Maybe i will catch up to gear at some point, but what i won't catch up with anytime soon is having 20-25 guys gear 9 ready. So i don't know what they were thinking there either.

I think you are wrong about Phasma and FOTP. I met a FOTP in GW 2 days ago, gear 9, he was one-shotting everyone, granted i didn't have fortitude on. Phasma can be awesome because she relies on RNG and you can win fights that seem unwinnable with her around. That's just my view anyway. Don't have either of them, but i am farming for Phasma and i will start FOTP at some point.

Didn't want to turn this into p2p vs f2p discussion, don't know when it happened. Just wanted to bash the raid rewards in the beginning really. lol
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    One more thing i would like to add before i end this 'gear' talk of which i am really tired of, if it doesn't matter much that players are able to buy furnaces continuously from shipments and it ain't much of an issue and f2p can still compete, then pre-crafting is also at the very least at the same level. Meaning a non-issue. So Naecabon was wrong complaining about pre-craft, because there weren't 7k power differences in arena in the pre-craft era. What's happening now is much more significant than pre-craft!
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    One more thing i would like to add before i end this 'gear' talk of which i am really tired of, if it doesn't matter much that players are able to buy furnaces continuously from shipments and it ain't much of an issue and f2p can still compete, then pre-crafting is also at the very least at the same level. Meaning a non-issue. So Naecabon was wrong complaining about pre-craft, because there weren't 7k power differences in arena in the pre-craft era. What's happening now is much more significant than pre-craft!

I don't think I could possibly disagree more. If anything this issue hurt f2p significantly more than whales.

Whales largely saw the writing on the wall. As a result they were able to pre craft many now unobtainable items for next to nothing. This includes the droid caller and Nubian device, which were both easier to pre craft than the furnace. How do you think you're seeing p2p teams with g11 toons? On the flip side f2p, with much more limited resources, weren't able to pre craft any in a vast majority of the cases. Once furnaces hit shipments, p2p players were then able to expand on that imbalance by adding to their stockpile of existing pre crafts or creating the bridge that allowed them to bring the other pre crafts into play.

Had the pre craft issue never existed, there's a good chance CG would have never released furnaces into shipments to try and correct their error. CG would have then been able to implement their plan of having that gear only be obtainable via raids and guilds. See the cause an effect here?
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    Options
    Your post and writing is just fine @InternetSwag, no need to worry. You make valid points. In my world, I would have made this game where everything was for sale to anyone, so paying would only speed the process. I don't believe in exclusivity in the idea that only "some" people can have an item and some can't. I more believe that an item can maybe be out of the price range of some perhaps, yet those people left out could find money tomorrow and then buy in then.

It makes sense that a totally free player will not compete with someone paying to speed the process. Eventually, the free player should be able to have equal to the paying player, just wait more time to have what a person pays today to have today, whereas free players would take time to grind to get there.

The situation they have now is not a solution, it's a stall. I'd rather them just open the door and let people get the content and then have to wait for new stuff to arrive rather than have an artificial stall tactic put in place...
  • Options

I don't think I could possibly disagree more. If anything this issue hurt f2p significantly more than whales.

Whales largely saw the writing on the wall. As a result they were able to pre craft many now unobtainable items for next to nothing. This includes the droid caller and Nubian device, which were both easier to pre craft than the furnace. How do you think you're seeing p2p teams with g11 toons? On the flip side f2p, with much more limited resources, weren't able to pre craft any in a vast majority of the cases. Once furnaces hit shipments, p2p players were then able to expand on that imbalance by adding to their stockpile of existing pre crafts or creating the bridge that allowed them to bring the other pre crafts into play.

Had the pre craft issue never existed, there's a good chance CG would have never released furnaces into shipments to try and correct their error. CG would have then been able to implement their plan of having that gear only be obtainable via raids and guilds. See the cause an effect here?

@telaan Wanna hear my precrafted gear conspiracy theory? :)

I wonder if CG were always planning on selling gear in the store. But imagine we hadn't been able to precraft - everyone would have complained about the cost of gear and, seeing how noone else had been able to gear up higher, there would have been less incentive to buy it. Everyone would be on equal playing field stuck at gear VIII and campaigning together to reduce the price of gear or make it more readily available in raid rewards.

Precrafting prevented this scenario from developing. In other words, precrafting created the very inequality that has stimulated demand for buying gear. Yes we can still campaign for change on the forums, but for now the trick has worked. It's each man for himself and the desire to buy gear to keep up with the precrafters is very real...
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options

I see what you're saying. But...it was the right move to put the furnaces in shipments. They doubled their profits from the numbers i saw. Hurt the game...but doubled the profits. They'll take it! The g11 toons i was talking about are happening on my shard because he put 2 furnaces in :smile: . The person in no1 in my shard never pre-crafted anything. He just made what i call a 'furnace' team post-update. The pre-craft and furnace may be linked to one another like you said, but the 'effect' of the 'cause' is much worse than the cause itself imo. You cannot fight fire with fire when gear 9 is so powerful compared to gear 8. So imo, they need to lower the prices on the MK5 and on all gear and increase the droprate on purples at the same time. Otherwise, f2p are fighting pre-crafters and furnace buyers at the same time lol. Right about now i bet some think 'man, remember the good days when i was only fighting pre-crafters with droid callers/MK7's'

I am not blaming him (the person in no1) or any p2p, i blame the implementation.
  • Kinnick
    83 posts Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm not as eloquent as Naecabon or Qeltar, but I have some thoughts I'd like to share regarding F2P vs P2P and its implementation in this game.

Traditionally in 'freemium' games you can pay for a number of things, whether it's a hero, cosmetic items, skins, in game currency, etc, there's a lot you can buy - but one thing that you generally can't buy, is an outright 'advantage' over your opponent. Yeah sure you can get stuff faster, you can have more, but you're never gonna see Hearthstone offer you an option to make your card better than someone elses. So why does this game?

Now in the past I was very satisfied with this game's implementation of P2P, but it seems that lately it is derailing into something different.

In the past you essentially had options to pay for;
    • Character Shards
    • Full Unlocks
    • Credits
    • Training Droids
    • Occasional Bundles

Now all of these fall into what can be expected from a traditional, successful, well balanced freemium game. In league of legends you pay for RP, meaning your friends cry while you play the new hero, unless they grinded currency.
    So a paying player has a bigger roster, they get characters faster and they generally have more fun. That in itself is already a big advantage in a game with such a fast evolving meta. The game is 6 months old? The meta has changed what, 5 times since then? I wasn't around at launch but I've been told it went like this; Bariss Meta, Sid Lead Meta, Poe Meta, Speed Meta, Dodge Meta, Current Meta.
    That's a huge shift every time for all players. So being able to buy those characters and immediately adapt is a huge advantage - just ask anyone who is F2P how many meta characters they've just maxed or almost maxed just for the meta to shift leaving them with a subpar roster.

Now imo that is all fair and standard practice, but lately the lines are blurring.

Currently being a spender will grant you;
    • Omega Mats (Refreshing the Omega Event)
    • Reaching Level 80 weeks before anyone else. This is concerning because you get 1 Omega mat per day before anyone that is F2P can even attain one so it's entirely possible for someone at level 77 to be facing a full Omega team.
    • Precrafted Gear (to an extent, but this has been discussed to death so I'm not going over it).
    • Buying Gear. This is a big one, they've blocked all feasible paths to said precraftable gear, then opened it with a 'paywall'. This means that you can literally now take out your wallet and have a statistical advantage over your opponent.
    • The Guild Shop Gear (?) This one is just terrible for everyone, but it naturally benefits large, powerful guilds in general as they attain more currency.

Let me ask you something, if this game had live PVP battles, would you be so accepting of the fact that your opponents toon has 4k more protection? How about 4k+ per character? In fact the only redeeming factor is the AI that is so terrible. That is the only reason you accept it, is because you can still win - and quite frankly that's a terrible mindset to have.

Can you imagine playing Dota and your enemy just outright has better stats and abilities than you? Would you put up with it? No. So why do it here?

Overall I feel like the long term goal for CG/EA is going to be damaging to both F2P and P2P. They're just going to find more ways to introduce paywalls and slow down the progression for the sake of profiting off of it when the players won't quit because they are already so invested in this game that they don't want to leave.

Well, those are just my scattered thoughts.

Disclaimer: I'm not hating on paying players at all and I never will. My issue is with the implementation of these advantages and what the future holds.

What I don't want as a response to this is, 'omg hurr OP I finish rank 1 and I'm f2p durr'. Yes, you can attain rank 1 as F2P, congratulations, I myself and many others have, that's not the point though.

Thanks for reading. <3

> EA
  • Annastrasza
    1766 posts Member
    Options
    @InternetSwag
    You post was spot on except you had to use Hearthstone as an example. :(

Hearthstone does allow advantage by allowing players to buy card packs. Those cards are not available to f2p, which gives p2p an advantage.

Besides that's everything else is perfect.
  • Options
    Great post. So i need 50 x mk10 holo lenses to get each of several of my toons to gear 9. These pieces are only available in raids v, vi and heroic. My guild has finished several tier 5 raids now and yet my count of this item remains at 0. The longer i go without being able to gear up the farther behind i get, the lower i finish in raids, the lesser prize i get etc etc.So yes i think the gap is just going to get bigger and bigger. And the bigger the gap the less inclined i am to spend any money at all.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Options

OK so you forgot one thing..those OTHER games you are playing AGAINST each other, this game is simply BRAGGING rights no other toon has DIRECT influence over your progress \ toon \ standing.

Even arena you win against AI not the a players.. so this isn't P2W or F2P, it's just basically a star wars board game (hence the opening screen where you see the holo table and other events around the room).. you are playing the AI.

There is *NO* Advantage. You play at your own pace or to have bragging rights.. big whoopie.. it makes ZERO difference if you are 80 and I am not you don't affect me AT ALL.

• Annastrasza
    1766 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »

OK so you forgot one thing..those OTHER games you are playing AGAINST each other, this game is simply BRAGGING rights no other toon has DIRECT influence over your progress \ toon \ standing.

Even arena you win against AI not the a players.. so this isn't P2W or F2P, it's just basically a star wars board game (hence the opening screen where you see the holo table and other events around the room).. you are playing the AI.

There is *NO* Advantage. You play at your own pace or to have bragging rights.. big whoopie.. it makes ZERO difference if you are 80 and I am not you don't affect me AT ALL.
    Sorry but you are wrong.
    Arena is against a AI.
    But that AI belongs to a P2W customer who has stacked his team to max by paying for its upgrades.

If you play against a similar stat AI then yes you are right but that is not the case here.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    atDrammen wrote: »
    + 1, great post that points out some key long term issues.

How long are people willing to fight with a large disadvantage? If I have to grind hard every day for months to only be able to catch up I will in all likelyhood loose interest and move on. It would be even worse if the cap is raised just as f2p manage to hit competitive levels, extending the slog even further.

'Catching up' to whales is a mirage, you will never do it. But if i slave away to relatively catch up in power to my current number 1 just to be able to beat him and then they introduce a new level cap + gear 12 in the same manner that this was introduced, i won't wait for anything anymore! So you make a very good point here. Nobody wants a new level cap sooner than 6 months.

Why its not a race.. they can raise the cap every week who cares.. you will get there eventually, someone else that has more progress than you affects you...how?

It doesn't.. THEY play on their OWN terms, as do you. It makes no difference. Even if you have a higher squad power, there is no guarantee that the teams you play in GW are ACTUAL player teams, they could be solely AI random generated.. Does the documentation say otherwise? No it doesn't.. so this is about YOU playing against the computer, games like Candy Crush have no end no level cap.. I have a game called 8 ball I am like level 27.. the game cap is 999 it WAS 700.. so that means SOMEONE is at the cap or above the previous one, which I will NEVER get to..

Those games are very different THIS game is YOU vs AI PERIOD. what I do has nothing to do with you.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    @Jedi_Yoda just because you want PvP to be controlled from both sides at the same time, doesnt mean this game isnt competative. You know this, so dont act like it isnt because you want to be able to control your arena team on defence.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Annastrasza
    1766 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    @Jedi_Yoda just because you want PvP to be controlled from both sides at the same time, doesnt mean this game isnt competative. You know this, so dont act like it isnt because you want to be able to control your arena team on defence.
    Well PvP is supposed to be controlled from both sides or else it will be called PvE (Player vs Environment aka AI).

• Vikingo
    46 posts Member
    Options
    That terrible ai is due to peeps complaining during the offee meta... her power is too high for what she does. So, peeps whined and complained til ea changed the defense ai in the arena to be harder. I hate to defend ea but u b$@$&amp;es caused this. All u guys gonna do is whine and cry and b##$h some more.
  • Vikingo
    46 posts Member
    Options
    I win every time in gw, in challenges,I've spent 0 on this game. I know I'll never be #1 in the arena... this is p2p. But I got kicked down to 143 and am at 45 after spending 50gems. Its not a bad game if u **** don't force nerfs.
  • Freakshow
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Great post dude. I'm not even sort of close to the level of most of the posters in this thread. I've got a lvl 63 account which I screwed up horribly at the beginning, and now mostly play my new account which is a fear inspiring lvl 47. I'm not FTP, but I'm not a whale either, more like a chubby dolphin. I do feel that paying players should have the advantage, otherwise there would be no paying players. chasing the meta seems to be the biggest problem for all but the fattest whales. And the new changes are making the gap between FTP and PTW wider, no argument there. I think a great way to mix things up alot would be to mix up the gear slots. If there were options for each tier of gear I think that would make things alot more interesting. The option of using different gear in different slots that offer different benefits would be great. as things stand, say I need 20 gear pieces for a slot that lets me do a zillion damage. Give me the option to use 10 pieces and only do half a zillion. Or 20 pieces that let me dodge like a rich man at tax time, Or attack with the speed and ferocity of an ex wife. By simply changing the gear system, there wouldn't really be a meta, players would be dusting off the GW suicide squads for interesting new combos in the Arena, and the arena would be way more interesting because you'd never know what the team you were facing was designed for. Whales would be happy because they could still pay to get the zillion damage. FTP would be happy because they wouldn't be stuck at gear lvl 6 or 7 because they need a ton of unfarmables, and everyone would be happy because we'd all be trying out new ideas for chars which we'd hope can move us up whichever ladder we're climbing.

So I just noticed my short little post turned into a massive block of text, and may have strayed from the topic at hand. Sorry bout that. But I think this would add a whole new twist to the game that could potentially add more playing enjoyment to whales, FTP, and chubby dolphins all at once.
  • Options
    I believe I'm a little late on this and don't really have anything to add as of yet, but I love the original post and the discussion it spawned is interesting to read.
    .GG Profile | Got spaces on my ally list.
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    Options
    In fact the only redeeming factor is the AI that is so terrible. That is the only reason you accept it, is because you can still win

As we approach level 80, the gap between gear 8 and gear 9 is getting wider and wider. I'm losing arena battles at level 78 I used to win at level 74. They'd better do something about this ASAP, or a lot of people are going to bail.
  • InternetSwag
    2658 posts Member
    Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    MY Thoughts. Thank you for those who P2P, as you give the developers a reason to continue developing a game that people can also enjoy playing F2P. And for those F2P complaining about P2P, please remember that. Also, it's a mobile game. It's meant to be "casual". Don't get so worked up about it.

Yup. But the devs must be careful with how they monetize whales too.
    I believe I'm a little late on this and don't really have anything to add as of yet, but I love the original post and the discussion it spawned is interesting to read.

It's a pleasure to see comments like this. This thread turned out how I wanted it to. :)
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Ronon_Dex
    197 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I was just about to say the same thing lol. The ensuing debate was quite an entertaining read! :D

Also, @InternetSwag , GREAT post.
  • Options
    Agree! The thing that miffs me the most is the paywall. We were promised that guilds and raids would be solution to precrafters and it wasn't. At least not for those unwilling to drop $20 on a piece of gear. Never was it stated that was the case until people accidentally bought it, not realizing it was crystals they were spending.

In addition the mega guilds will obtain the level 9+ gear way faster than the average guild widening the gap between those that precrafted and those that didn't.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Terendol
    24 posts Member
    Options
    What I don't want as a response to this is, 'omg hurr OP I finish rank 1 and I'm f2p durr'. Yes, you can attain rank 1 as F2P, congratulations, I myself and many others have, that's not the point though.

If you haven't seen from last year that they want to keep digging more deeply into your wallet, no matter the cost, then you haven't been paying attention. This is the greediest grinder in the industry. They don't even have a VIP program. Guilds have emphasized Whales over Snails a hundredfold. That's the game you're playing. It hasn't become anything more than a P2W since launch.
  • Megadeth3700
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    Most excellent! I approve this message :)
    ☮ Consular ☮