Plo koon vs RG

Prev13
I'm F2P level 62 and unaware of how the game works at the top tier. I'm thinking of farming plo as a counter for all the teams with RG, would love some advice from someone who has him. It seems there are so many teams on my shard that have him (me included), that i need a counter to all the teams with him so I can consistently beat them. I haven't had too much trouble so far,but when people's teams become really strong i fear it will be hard to deal with. I would get him to gear 9, which doesn't seem too bad a farm, for the 50% potency and only use him as a counter to teams with RG, which seems to be pretty much everyone so far. I have qgj as well, so i guess the team would look something like qgj, plo, GS, rey, RG.

Someone with experience of the game please let me know - Is this an effective and consistent way of beating an RG team? QGJ, GS and Rey do damage, and i make sure the character before plo's turn (or QGJ if his turn is going to come at a better time) takes someone under half, and then try to dispel. Rinse repeat for the others while my RG absorbs damage. Could work with a healer too, most likely barriss. I certainly won't be leaving him in for defense, but very likely would never upgrade him for the 90% potency. I don't want to waste gear on guys i won't leave in for defense, but if i can just use him as a dispeller, it should be worth it. I want to get several chars geared up a decent amount so that they can be effective counters to all the normal team combinations, like ST han to mess up the dooku or other counter teams, so I can beat any normal team and stay around the top 20, thats why I'm thinking about it.

If its a good tactic, is it necessary? when i upgrade my characters i just don't know if it will be easy to beat RG teams. Can i get round it all with just qgj dispelling? Or take him out first? Or take people to just above half health and wait for a big hitter to be able to KO them? If it's a waste of time, and ill be able to beat RG teams all the time at the top tier, i may farm someone else from cantina, and get eeth koth to 5*s before yoda comes back in a couple days, so let me know

Replies

• Options
    And also I've only heard about how good leia is, haven't actually looked at her abilities, but would his leader ability ruin any teams with her in too?
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What the heck is plo gonna do to Rg?

The best counters to RG are qui-gon, Rey and Sun Fac. I believe
  • Options
    dispel on basic attack
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    Options
    Lcb12321 wrote: »
    What the heck is plo gonna do to Rg?

I think he's saying Plo's basic hit dispels one positive effect, thus can wipe away RG's taunt.
  • Options
    I have qui-gon and rey and will be gearing them - I'm basically asking if a normal team composition with those normal F2P guys are enough to consistently beat RG teams, and if not, then will a 50% potency plo help me beat them every time
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    Options
    But there's better options and it's a random meaning he would probly already have defense up and possibly others. I dunno plo koon just doesn't stack up...

He'd be good against possinlbly stealth based character strategies on a team with clones
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    Options
    Nobody uses plo so at least you have that.... I guess ur strat could work but there's still better options
  • Options
    Yeah i'm worried about that, thats actually one of the things id like to know about how it works in an actual battle. My theory is that QGJ as lead would ensure he moves after your attackers who take someone below 50% health, after their attackers who will attack rather than apply effects to their team, and before all the slower characters who are likely to apply effects to their team, and that if dispel fails, qgj is pretty much next next up to dispel, then you KO and make it 5v4. But thats only my theory which is why hooooooooopefully someone will lemme know
  • Options
    lol yeah i know.... is there anybody out therrrrreeeeee.... Thats the thing i don't know if its pointless or not so don't know if i should waste my time
  • Lcb12321
    188 posts Member
    Options
    I dunno I've never fought plokoon actually I don't think...
  • Options
    how do you deal with RG?
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    QGJ is the prevalent toon used to counter RG. His dispell special is good and has a very short cool down so you can reuse often for RG's multiple taunts.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have a 7*/gear 8/level 77 Plo Koon. I never use him in arena. Maybe there is a setup where he's useful, but I haven't found anything he does that others don't do better.

When dispelling taunts you need 100% reliability. Dispelling it or not is usually the difference between life and death. His dispel doesn't always get rid of the taunt. It may get rid of something else. He has OK health, and does mediocre damage. His defense up is not that useful. The update was supposed to make it a more valuable buff, but it's kind of useless. I feel like he was a total waste of a month of farming. I'm currently farming RG who is more useful in top ten arena battles at 5* than the useless Plo Koon I worked so hard for. Go RG.
    Post edited by JRA on
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options
    Also, Mace Windu, Ima Gun-Di, and Teebo are all better dispeller than Plo Koon. Asajj Ventress has a mass dispel (even though she is too slow to be of any use). And if you are willing to pay thru the nose Sun Fac dispels with his basic reliably, and taunts, and counters, and heals too I think. Plo Koon is probably the worst dispeller in the game. It's the only thing he does that's useful and he is garbage at it.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have QGJ and will be gearing him up. JRA thanks I will definitely be beefing up my RG regardless of whether I get Plo, he would literally just be a counter to other teams' RGs

My worry is that facing an RG with huge health that is taunting every time you get a character below 50% health will be tricky and I will lose some battles. Just like he saves my **** every time at this level. If they have a healer and you can't dispel RG before the healer's turn, and they heal back over 50%, you have to target RG again with no dispel for three turns, so you have to take him out. Even if that doesn't happen, it just keeps becoming a problem every time a character gets under 50%. Having two dispellers, QGJ who is very reliable, and plo who has no cooldown, i hope might help with this
  • SantasWS
    165 posts Member
    Options
    when i face a RG team i have no intention of wasting mt QGJ dispel on him my focus is on taking RG out 1st anything else is second stun and dispel are for other toons in the opponents team, i am Lv71 and am a constant top5 Arena player without a single P2P toon in my team! (lumi lead, QGJ, RG, Fives, GS)
  • SantasWS
    165 posts Member
    Options
    P.S. if you really want to use Plo Koon build a proper Clone team as that would make better use of him.
  • Options
    RG isn't really a problem anymore. U just need the right strategy. Hitting him first out right is not the way to go from my experience. He only taunts under 50%. So if u time it right with gs or rey u don't have to waste a dispell if u just paste em outright. If they have Dook lead and u hit rg outright u will get blasted by their dps while rg dodges all day
  • Options
    Anecdotally I've heard that Plo was good at gear 9+ because it boosts his potency. He might be good if you have Rex, 5's, and some other DPS.
  • Options
    Max out Plo Koon's basic ability and his gear and you'll have a 90% potency attack that removes ALL buffs from the enemy.

I'd still highly recommend QGJ on the same team, so you can effectively render RG and teams with two tanks useless. In short, if you plan a longterm investment into Plo Koon it could pay off. It's just that next to nobody does it, nobody gets him to max apart from a handful of people...so nobody can talk about his usefulness properly at end game.

I personally think he'd be pretty decent with an Omega and that Jedi's are guaranteed a buff sooner or later (around jedi Luke/Rey's release maybe?).
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    Plo Koon dispels taunts reliably and has no cool down and can be called for an assist to dispel. Just saying
  • Options
    In my arena there is 1 maxed, but since i dont use rg, hes not threatening to me in that team (rex,clones) i see he takes buffs away pretty good, and off down lands on 1-3 toons so not bad. Just cant lose with protection update, offense has become too easy bc silly ai. ;)
  • darthnoobage
    182 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    thanks all - they've made him so tricky because at g10 he goes from 50 to 90% potency, but g9 to g10 is such a **** to gear - 100 cuffs and 100 guild only items can't really be justified.

I'm still quite torn really - it could mean i own any rg team or team with two tanks, or he could not be one of my optimal characters against those teams anyway and be a waste time. Offence down does seem pretty tho..

i'm thinking of just getting lando, 1) for the tache, 2) paired with phasma his AOE crits, resets, and gives him crit chance up and 50% more damage. If QGJ has dispelled anything, offense up for both turns. Gear ups are so long in this game tho. However taking a damage spot from rey qgj or GS against any team is probably unlikely

Nortikka and drew - so RG is easy to deal with anyway? Even when he is fully beefed up like 20k health and protection? Is it always easy to get characters to just over 50% and wipe them out in one hit from there when everyone has maxed health?
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    Options
    are you telling me RG is easy to deal with anyway? Even when he is fully beefed up like 20k health and protection? How do you guys beat him? Get characters to just over 50% and wipe them out in one hit from there?

That, or you go after #1 threat (Daka or Rey, for example), when RG taunts, hit him until QGJ comes around and use humbling blow. Then go back and finish off #1 threat, go after #2 threat until another taunt, then go back after RG. By the point QGJ is ready with humbling blow again, RG is just about finished, or just remove the taunt again and repeat.
  • Brimley_Ploom_19
    366 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There is one team I came across where plo koon fit perfectly but literally the only team I believe he has viability with. Rex (L), 5s, Plo, Clone Sargeant, and this particular guy used assaj believe it or not as his 5th, and was placing in the top 5. Plo and Assaj both for dispel, and Plo grants team defense up along with clones 50% TM, and with his offense down aoe made his team pretty good defensively. Here's a link to his team against ewoks + RG
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPwW_8Zi70
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options
    Max out Plo Koon's basic ability and his gear and you'll have a 90% potency attack that removes ALL buffs from the enemy.

I'd still highly recommend QGJ on the same team, so you can effectively render RG and teams with two tanks useless. In short, if you plan a longterm investment into Plo Koon it could pay off. It's just that next to nobody does it, nobody gets him to max apart from a handful of people...so nobody can talk about his usefulness properly at end game.

I personally think he'd be pretty decent with an Omega and that Jedi's are guaranteed a buff sooner or later (around jedi Luke/Rey's release maybe?).

Maxed out his basic has a CHANCE to remove all buffs. It may remove 1 at random, or it may remove all. It's a coin flip. If I'm bringing a taunt buster I don't want a coin flip. I want it to work, or he isn't worth the space unless he has other uses.

Also 90% doesn't mean it will work 90% of the time. It's being compared to the opponent's tenacity, so it may have to go thru 2 coin flips if their tenacity is high. (tanks usually have high tenacity) To give that number perspective, QGJ maxed has 240% potency. I've never seen his dispel resisted. The attack might be dodged, but if it lands it kills taunts. Plo Koon has to go up an insanely expensive gear level or two to get a taunt that goes thru 2 coin flips before it might actually work.

As it is now, I have a max Plo Koon, and I put him in arena for the exact reason darthnoobage asked about... I was facing 20 RGs a day out of nowhere. I pulled him after a few days of experimentation, because he was garbage as a taunt buster, and doesn't help much any other way. He may indeed be great with a clone team. But I will never put the hundreds of dollars in to this game that are needed to get a max Rex, so for F2P there are tons of easy strategies to deal with RG. But none have involved Plo Koon for me so far.

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm curious about Plo, too. I'm farming mine, but he's not my top priority, ATM.

But not for RG. I'm more curious about using him against Ben L and ST Han. Esp because by the time QGJ gets a chance to debuff Ben-Han, it can be way too late and/or he could be ability blocked. And even if the stars line up, he might still whiff. Having two debuffers with one of them getting a chance on his basic (which can't be blocked) might be a decent counter?

Someone posted that at gear 9 he debuffs RG almost all of the time. I think Han's tenacity is similar? And Han doesn't have any other self buffs, I'm aware of. So seems like Plo might be some decent medicine, here.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    I'm curious about Plo, too. I'm farming mine, but he's not my top priority, ATM.

But not for RG. I'm more curious about using him against Ben L and ST Han. Esp because by the time QGJ gets a chance to debuff Ben-Han, it can be way too late and/or he could be ability blocked. And even if the stars line up, he might still whiff. Having two debuffers with one of them getting a chance on his basic (which can't be blocked) might be a decent counter?

Someone posted that at gear 9 he debuffs RG almost all of the time. I think Han's tenacity is similar? And Han doesn't have any other self buffs, I'm aware of. So seems like Plo might be some decent medicine, here.

At gear 9 his potency goes up to 90% against tenacity of 72% from RG for example. Not sure what math they do with those stats, but in practice it has been awful. I still prefer QGJ with his 240% potency. Believe me that 90% sounds good, but it's still fatally unreliable.

And Han may not have any self buffs, but that is counting on nobody else on the team giving him any buffs. AI will almost always buff up immediately. If Plo Koon does succeed in dispelling, but Han has any other buffs it is a coin flip to get the taunt. Your odds go down with every buff. And beyond helping clones, and a lousy, unreliable taunt, Plo Koon is a dead spot on a very small team.

Every toon needs to be strong in multiple ways. Mace Windu by comparison has similar health and speed, does thousands more damage, can heal himself with his basic attack if his health is low, has a chance to expose and gain turn meter, has a dispel that removes ALL effects, and has 137% potency. He doesn't give the defense up buff, but that buff is nearly useless anyhow. The dispel attack has a cool down, but that's fine if he's a backup taunt buster to QGJ anyhow. I'm by no means recommending Mace. I think his kit needs some tweaking to be of any use. I've heard so many discussions of how busted he is, but he is better in nearly every way than Plo Koon.

If I could trade my max Plo Koon in right now, lose him forever, but get another max toon in his place, I would take almost anybody in his place. I'd take busted Mace. I'd love to take Ima Gun-Di. I'd even rather have any of the hated Ewoks. I really hope his kit gets reworked, but as is he is not special at anything. Not even good at anything. Please learn from my mistake and don't waste hard earned resources on this toon until he's fixed.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Believe me that 90% sounds good, but it's still fatally unreliable.
    No, 90% sounds awful. But someone who did it has stated it is very reliable on RG. And RG has pretty high tenacity compared to most other toons. I actually don't know what Han's is at gear 8-10.

Is your Plo Koon gear 9?
    Plo Koon is a dead spot on a very small team.
    Yeah, I know. But if he can help to ensure there's a debuff on ST Han within a timely manner, Han is a dead spot on the other team! I'd rather carry one dead spot and have a living RG thru turn 3, than to carry 5 awesome toons where RG and one other is dead before the end of the third act.

I have heard GQJ plus Mace is a good duo to take down Ben and Han. But I pulled Plo from a Bronzium. So I'm kinda hoping this idea isn't dead, already.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Believe me that 90% sounds good, but it's still fatally unreliable.
    No, 90% sounds awful. But someone who did it has stated it is very reliable on RG. And RG has pretty high tenacity compared to most other toons. I actually don't know what Han's is at gear 8-10.

Is your Plo Koon gear 9?
    Plo Koon is a dead spot on a very small team.
    Yeah, I know. But if he can help to ensure there's a debuff on ST Han within a timely manner, Han is a dead spot on the other team! I'd rather carry one dead spot and have a living RG thru turn 3, than to carry 5 awesome toons where RG and one other is dead before the end of the third act.

I have heard GQJ plus Mace is a good duo to take down Ben and Han. But I pulled Plo from a Bronzium. So I'm kinda hoping this idea isn't dead, already.

Han is 49% tenacity at current max
    RG is 76%

Sun Fac is the character you're looking for to deal with this problem gentlemen if you can get him, if not plo will work but rarely and situationally.