Arena? More like Dodgefest.

orange_cups
1 posts Member
edited May 2016
Is there really no better way to conduct arena battles than to basically boil the whole thing down to RNG? You either face a team that gets 15 dodges and destroys you or you get an even number of dodges and destroy them because the AI is too stupid to play competitively. Most of the teams use old ben or dooku because the whole dodge mechanic is broken.

Now the other issue with Arena is taunting tanks. You face these huge tanks with ridiculous health and protection **cough RG cough** and winning or losing comes down to being able to dispel the taunt. You are either successful and win extremely easily (because again the AI is incompetent) or you are unsuccessful and lose because you can't damage anyone but the enemy tank. This forces you to either bring a dispeller or your own tank. This is really an issue with RG. It's come to the point that you almost can't be successful without RG. For example, the entire top ten of my shard run almost the exact same team. RG, Rey, GS, Leia, dooku or old ben (L). This is ridiculous.

Arena definitely needs a lot of attention, but of course that could be said of any aspect of the game.

- S. T. U. P. I. D. is censored? Really?

Replies

• ThreeGee
    43 posts Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. The game does realize that dooku's leader abilty is only around +8.5-10% evade chance, not 100% right? I just lost a match cuz renowned dodgers QGJ and stormtrooper Han just couldn't be hit...what a joke. Sorry to everyone else that is having this problem as well.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    I posted this in the megathread in general. It seems like (Especially in Arena) the dodge was increased to make up for the poor AI. Dodge does seem to happen above the 15-20% or so of the leader abilities and character stats. I know that dodge chance increases if you are hitting a target of higher level as well.

Still, as is, I feel like dodge is a fair mechanic and shouldn't be removed are retweaked very hard. If it wasn't dodge teams, people would be complaining about burst teams (oh wait they did). If it wasn't burst teams, people would complain about stun teams (oh wait they did).

I dunno. If I was a dev, I would just make sure the % dodge matched character and leader abilities (they stack I think yeah?) and just make a note for the uninformed that characters higher level then your own are also a big factor in whether or not you land your attacks.

Guys, lvl 80 Leia should dodge lvl 75 GS better than she can dodge a lvl 80 GS. Make all the sense in the world to me.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    It would be immensely useful to have some hard evasion data, so that we can compare the actual percentage of dodge with the expected. It does seem much higher then it should be and it's a major cause of irritation.

Fix the AI you say, OP? What AI? What we have is an extremely simple algorithm and I agree, the devs do seem to cheat the stats to make up for its shortcomings. I wish they would find the time to design a cleverer algorithm, at least
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.
  • Options
    I've not won an arena match in days, even to lower ranked weaker teams. I'm only getting one or two turns for every three or four the a.I. Gets plus they evade nearly 50% of the time no matter who the leader is. I've gone from consistently in the top 30-50 now I'm lost in the 100's and can't win against anyone. What's going on with turn order all of a sudden? This isn't the fix to the a.I. Issue.
  • Options
    Old Ben and Dooku's leaders are each 15% evasion, not 8.5, 10 or 20. Get your facts right before posting.

Anyway, evasion leads are not the only viable leads in the game. There's tons of Phasma and QGJ leads, plenty of whales are using Rex as lead, and some people are even using STH or Lumi. The evasion might be the best, but they aren't much better than Phasma who's much easier to farm. If you nerf evasion leads they're all going to switch to Phasma, I know I will, and then rather than being 70% evasion leads, 20% Phasma and 10% everything else, it'll be 85% Phasma, 15% everything else. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd prefer to have 3 dominant leaders rather than 1