how come the USA got a promotion when the dvd got released and the uk didn't?

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Baal wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    Disney won't spend as much to advertise in areas it won't make as much money in.
    So maybe this time there wasn't enough marketing budget to go around.

it doesnt cost them anything to give a toon, some manhours for the coding, nothing more

Incorrect. Because the character is a 'gift' some coutries levy a tax.

i highly doubt that. And even if that was true you can just call it an achievement or a reward for login in.
    i might be wrong, but its gonna take some more to convince me than just stating that some countries levy a tax for "gifts"
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Because U.S. companies made Star Wars and SWGOH.

Are you seriously still upset about that? It was like 50 shards two months ago for a toon that isn't even meta anymore.

Well it can be said that we made U.S
    But i also dont think that in this matter it means much since its only about a few shards in a mobile game.
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    Options
    because Trump and Cameron aren't best buddies :)
  • Options
    It's because you dumped Ricky Gervais on us.
  • Options
    It's because you dumped Ricky Gervais on us.

I was going to agree with the advertising points, but that sounds about right. ;)

There's an opportunity cost for giving stuff out in-game. Free stuff is stuff we don't have to farm for. The less stuff we have to farm, the less money we will spend on farming.
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Options
    Disney won't spend as much to advertise in areas it won't make as much money in.

it doesnt cost them anything to give a toon, some manhours for the coding, nothing more

You don't understand how advertising works,
    this game and what it does has NOTHING to do with the dvd release.
    Disney has an advertising budget, they use this to buy tv ads, billboards, online ads, and yes, in game promotions.
    Disney paid Ea for those previous promotions, same as how iOS and android paid them for those respective events
    Since Disney makes considerably less money in certain markets, the advertising budget for that location is less.
    It may just be pixels, but nothing is free.
    Sorry, but that's how it works.

not the point i was trying to make. i wasnt talking about advertisement, i meant that it doesnt cost them anything to just give the same free shards to everybody, regardless of any promotional campaign. just like they give 500 crystals for server outage for example.

The Dvd release event WAS an advertisement. Disney paid, so that certain people would get certain things, like a free hat at a ball game.

500 crystal for an outage is from within the company. These 2 events are completely separate.

Had Disney sponsored the event in your area, it would have happened. But they didn't.

The May the 4th be with you event is another example. That was sponsored by the game itself, and therefore was available to everyone. Disney had nothing to do with this.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

You don't understand how advertising works,
    this game and what it does has NOTHING to do with the dvd release.
    Disney has an advertising budget, they use this to buy tv ads, billboards, online ads, and yes, in game promotions.
    Disney paid Ea for those previous promotions, same as how iOS and android paid them for those respective events
    Since Disney makes considerably less money in certain markets, the advertising budget for that location is less.
    It may just be pixels, but nothing is free.
    Sorry, but that's how it works.

not the point i was trying to make. i wasnt talking about advertisement, i meant that it doesnt cost them anything to just give the same free shards to everybody, regardless of any promotional campaign. just like they give 500 crystals for server outage for example.

The Dvd release event WAS an advertisement. Disney paid, so that certain people would get certain things, like a free hat at a ball game.

500 crystal for an outage is from within the company. These 2 events are completely separate.

Had Disney sponsored the event in your area, it would have happened. But they didn't.

The May the 4th be with you event is another example. That was sponsored by the game itself, and therefore was available to everyone. Disney had nothing to do with this.

why are you explaining the same thing twice? What gave you the impression that I dont understand how advertising works ? The first time around was already redundant, but i can see how my first comment left alot of room for interpretation.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Lol @ this

But I'm pretty sure it was because of Ricky now
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Yudoka wrote: »
    It's all about licencing. Same products have to be negotiated separately in each territory. It's why Netflix provides different programming depending on what your country is.

This is logical and the truth - which is why it will be summarily ignored on these forums. :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    Options
    I Rebel! ;)
  • Santin
    48 posts Member
    Options
    Can we now have an official statement from one of the devs on this?
  • Maskarii
    851 posts Member
    Options
    Doing the same thread weeks before...
  • Frommer
    145 posts Member
    Options
    Because racism duh... Nothing here in finland either :/

@Nortikka_aikarajuu

Since when did Finland or England become a race? Yes it seems European schooling truely is better than its American counterpart.
  • Kabbes
    430 posts Member
    Options
    Define "race" for us then.
  • Options
    They had the Lando promotion here in the UK and some azzoles exploited it turning it into a farce and robbing others on the process. I can see why they were reluctant to extend any further promotions this way
    Ally code 797-111-992
  • Options
    That should read "in the process" **** this freakin' phone
    Ally code 797-111-992
  • Frommer
    145 posts Member
    Options
    Kabbes wrote: »
    Define "race" for us then.

@Kabbes
    rac·ism
    ˈrāˌsizəm/
    noun
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

race2
    rās/
    noun
    noun: race; plural noun: races
    each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
    "people of all races, colors, and creeds"
  • Kabbes
    430 posts Member
    Options
    That's a dictionary definition of race. But what does it mean? What are the "major divisions of humankind" please?
  • Suikoden
    111 posts Member
    Options
    Because America is the master race and Donald Trump commanded so in preparation for his upcoming presidential run.

Coming soon: Han Trump - Trump class. Special move: Wig toss.
  • Options
    When are you foreigners gonna realize that America is just better? At everything. Except soccer. And who cares about soccer?
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Frommer
    145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kabbes wrote: »
    That's a dictionary definition of race. But what does it mean? What are the "major divisions of humankind" please?

@Kabbes

You literally just asked "define race". Then comment, that's the dictionary definition of race. Yes. Of course it is. That's what you asked for. Then you pretend that's not what you wanted? You ask what are the divisions when my previous comment actually has examples if you read the entire definition. I swear oxygen is wasted on people like you.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    When are you foreigners gonna realize that America is just better? At everything. Except soccer. And who cares about soccer?

murica !? there is always some asian kid better, probably even better at being an american.
  • Options

murica !? there is always some asian kid better, probably even better at being an american.

Then he's an American. It's science.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

maybe, you will never know
    latest?cb=20130206012340
  • Artas
    223 posts Member
    Options

Who cares about soccer? The rest of the world. When do you realize that America is not the whole world and there are many civilized countries outside US?
  • Options
    Artas wrote: »

Who cares about soccer? The rest of the world. When do you realize that America is not the whole world and there are many civilized countries outside US?

Lol @ civilized. Soccer would be a lot more interesting if the players carried weapons.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Options

maybe, you will never know
    latest?cb=20130206012340

I dont watch that show. I'm more of a Duck Dynasty fan.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Options
    bngman wrote: »
    Don't know about other countries either. What's up with that.

I've never missed a login day since android release. I never got that, and I live in the US.
  • Options
    Baal wrote: »

Incorrect. Because the character is a 'gift' some coutries levy a tax.

Not for digital products, in most countries, gifts must be physical. Amazon and Apple have won numerous lawsuits with that argument.
  • Options
    To all the SWGOH friends not in the states, sorry for the American hubris. Only a handful of Americans are egocentric, agoraphobic people.