What has this forum come to? What does it mean for the game?

I'm trying to be positive in a time a gloom here on the forum. It's pretty tough. The real negative shift for me was right after they "fixed" Dooku's leader ability. It used to not function at all if you can believe that. It's been downhill from there. I'm not against people voicing their frustrations about things in the game. This is definitely the place to do that, too. It's just there isn't enough positive to balance it out. It's really as if all we really have to say about the game is how frustrated we are.

Are we all really getting that frustrated? If we are, what does that mean for the game? I realize that only a very small portion of players come to the forum, but from what is represented here one would really fear for the health of the game. Not because of loop holes or even poor design choices in general, but because of the enjoyment factor just really isn't there anymore for many of us.

I just finished my long term plans for the game and cut galaxic war participation out of it completely because it really is too much. I've never planned on participating in the Yoda event. I'm falling behind, albeit slowly, in the arena due to my refusal to be in a "competitive" guild. I'm only interested in finishing a total of 10 characters in the game because of what I'll have to go through to gear them. More and more I am not active during my payout window in the arena. It's still enjoyable to play this game but things are going in game the same way they are going here on the forum.

What could make it better? I'm really at a loss. So much potential both here in the forum and in the game. It's just too slow to fruition it seems. Maybe it's time to share some long term plans to give us a little hope.

Replies

• hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    The game is literally designed to frustrate people into spending money on shortcuts.

The forum is exactly what they wanted it to be.
  • SeaWhy
    84 posts Member
    Options
    Nerf this post!
  • Options
    I was perfectly content before evasion came to wreck the game.
  • Options
    SeaWhy wrote: »
    Nerf this post!

It could use a nerf to its read time! It's a bit longwinded, I know :)
  • Options
    hhooo wrote: »
    The game is literally designed to frustrate people into spending money on shortcuts.

Very well articulated
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    You can pinpoint most of the doom and gloom to a few vocal thunderheads.

• AceCV
    995 posts Member
    Options
    Unfortanlly I'm starting to think that some things aren't only incompetence in the management of the game...they are following a kind of strategy.

If that points to be truth i think that this game isn't for long time players...at least in the competitive version of it...for colectors maybe....but for competitive features like arena or guilds....i have my doubts increasing in the last days.
  • Sirryker
    98 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm not doom and gloom about this game. I enjoy it very much, especially raids and events. Promoting, leveling up, and gearing your favorite Star Wars characters is emotionally rewarding. Galactic war isn't as much of a chore if you consider that it rewards you with what you're most lacking if you're f2p (credits!!). My guild's chat can be lighthearted and funny. I don't worry too much about placing highly in the arena. All in all, I think it's a mediocre game build, but it's Star Wars, so it's fun to play. </positivity>
  • Options

This^

Short and concise.
  • Jazz66
    212 posts Member
    Options

Exactly.
    Sith Yoda: mandryk.artstation.com
  • Options
    Online forums, especially gaming ones, are just dark and nasty places in general. It doesn't mean much of anything about anything if it is this way.

#nerfthedookie
  • Options
    Take a break for a few days, don't touch the app at all. Then come back and see how much your perspective has changed.

Should I do GW? Nah, waste of time.

Should I do a challenge? Nah, too boring.

Arena! Sweet! That was fun, now a ten minute timer until my next battle. I'll try again in an hour. (Completely forget about it).

Raids! Awesome! Bang, bang, bang. Pew, pew, pew. K cool. Now what? I guess I'll wait another day.

Another event, cool. Oh wait, I'm not eligible.

Free energy notification? Can't be bothered.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    I enjoy prowling the forums almost as much as the game itself. Love seeing the trolls, and love seeing @Timitock and a few others embarrass posters who make wild, unsubstantiated claims about "statistics that you know are true". @cosmicturtle333 has some quality ones as well, like above. If not for my addiction to this game plus my lack of other things to do, I'd love to walk away from it!
  • Options
    I do my dailies and log out. I spend more time in the forum than the game. I won't be in a guild, I made my own just to quit getting invites.

I quit spending money when I realized I dropped more for this game than any other game. IAP should never amount to more than 60 dollars because then you could've bought a proper game and been more entertained.

I do the first two gw because after that I face lvl 80 characters and none of mine are even 75.

I keep myself in the top 1000 in arena, that way I get five shards a day.

The only thing I do that I enjoy is count the drop rate in cantina and hard mode. Its six percent across the board, not 30. I have my own numbers that cg can say I made up.
  • Options
    The only thing I do that I enjoy is count the drop rate in cantina and hard mode. Its six percent across the board, not 30. I have my own numbers that cg can say I made up.

I got almost 40% for Finn. I've seen numbers from the low to high 30s.

My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options

I got almost 40% for Finn. I've seen numbers from the low to high 30s.

12 shard drops for Daka. 3 a day since Feb 1. Lando in cantina I counted the number of attempts, I'm at 1603 and I have 97 shards.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    STORM NOOOOO! We love you! Don't give up! Quite a few people on here who haven't resorted to complaining yet, we're just too busy reading everything else haha.

Answering your questions, it sounds like it would be helpful for some of us to know how many people actually work on this game. Is it a crew of 3 developers? Is it 50? Maybe help us understand how long things take, but even then, I know I wouldn't; I have no coding experience (unless you induce trying to learn html back in the 90s).

We know there's more raids coming, more heroes, possibly starships (if we all wish upon a star), and more heroes becoming available in the different shops and Cantina nodes. Man, yeah sometimes though, gotta come up for air.

**Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Daenion
    91 posts Member
    Options
    Forum is where the inmates discuss future medications and the henchman beat some sense into them when they get too rowdy. It is awesome and fun!
  • Options
    If you read any other game forums, you will likely see the same thing. Whether the game has been around for years, months, weeks, days, hours. People love love to be doom and gloom. They want to be right about something quasi big, i.e. predict the end of a popular game.

No game is without it's issues, but as long as people keep pouring money into the game, it will continue its course with or without you. If/when you leave, 10 people will take your place and you will not be missed, regardless of how many forum posts you have. It's just the way it is. Most people with a gripe about the game think it will implode upon their exit but are upset that it continues to thrive in their absence.

People get burned out, bored, mad, smart, busy, etc. The more players that play a game, the more people will have issues and complaints.

Don't worry, the game is not going anywhere and it does not matter what any one person in these forums does, says or spends.

I sound like I'm bashing. I'm not trying to, Just stating how I see it.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    @Veritasum Yeah, I feel the same, from other forums, it just becomes the usual. Wonder if they could start closing negative/complaint threads. There's a lot spelled out in the forum posting guidelines, that if people followed, we'd see a little less doomy-gloom. I'm happy it's EA and Star Wars, you know it'll be around and functioning well for a long time. I also love this genre of squad building and skirmish fights, wrap it up in this beautiful game, I honestly think it's the gem of mobile Star Wars games. Yeah I'm a fanboy, oh yeah.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Take a break for a few days, don't touch the app at all. Then come back and see how much your perspective has changed.

Should I do GW? Nah, waste of time.

Should I do a challenge? Nah, too boring.

Arena! Sweet! That was fun, now a ten minute timer until my next battle. I'll try again in an hour. (Completely forget about it).

Raids! Awesome! Bang, bang, bang. Pew, pew, pew. K cool. Now what? I guess I'll wait another day.

Another event, cool. Oh wait, I'm not eligible.

Free energy notification? Can't be bothered.

This x100.
    The game is NOT an obligation.
    Stop treating it as such.

Also they delete all my positive threads. Lame. I made a hilarious thread about how ugly dengar is and they removed it.

It's like they want us to focus on depressing, miserable stuff.

| John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    Veritasum wrote: »
    If you read any other game forums, you will likely see the same thing. Whether the game has been around for years, months, weeks, days, hours. People love love to be doom and gloom. They want to be right about something quasi big, i.e. predict the end of a popular game.

No game is without it's issues, but as long as people keep pouring money into the game, it will continue its course with or without you. If/when you leave, 10 people will take your place and you will not be missed, regardless of how many forum posts you have. It's just the way it is. Most people with a gripe about the game think it will implode upon their exit but are upset that it continues to thrive in their absence.

People get burned out, bored, mad, smart, busy, etc. The more players that play a game, the more people will have issues and complaints.

Don't worry, the game is not going anywhere and it does not matter what any one person in these forums does, says or spends.

I agree and I don't. Player opinion on forums can change games.

The biggest of all, Clash of Clans, took away town hall sniping in December last year, forcing players to train full armies for over 2 hours to compete. As with all gaming companies, they wanted to see how much they could get away with, after all long troop building times can be skipped using gems.

They stuck to their guns for several months, they said nothing on the forums.

Last month they finally reduced troop building times by more than half, they most likely saw a financial impact from the December update. They certainly didn't give anything away to be generous, they would never do that.

EA made gear as hard to obtain as they thought they could get away with. They put furnaces in shipments and probably play with the % chances on a weekly basis, watching revenues. They have to be rare enough to encourage refreshing but common enough to keep hope alive.

Droid callers are not included because it was only necessary to experiment on one item, the one most characters require to pass gear 8.

Raid rewards are as stingy as they think they can get away with.

They are constantly, mercilessly analysing and monetising every aspect of this game, but there always has to be a balance between the developer and the player.

Most of us think they've gone too far, plus they didn't factor in the effect of pre-crafting. They have a problem, they've acknowledged it for the first time a few days ago. The solution won't be perfect, but hopefully it will go some way to healing the damage done so far.

I live in hope, for now.
  • Mp44
    157 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    Veritasum wrote: »

I agree and I don't. Player opinion on forums can change games.

The biggest of all, Clash of Clans, took away town hall sniping in December last year, forcing players to train full armies for over 2 hours to compete. As with all gaming companies, they wanted to see how much they could get away with, after all long troop building times can be skipped using gems.

They stuck to their guns for several months, they said nothing on the forums.

Last month they finally reduced troop building times by more than half, they most likely saw a financial impact from the December update. They certainly didn't give anything away to be generous, they would never do that.

EA made gear as hard to obtain as they thought they could get away with. They put furnaces in shipments and probably play with the % chances on a weekly basis, watching revenues. They have to be rare enough to encourage refreshing but common enough to keep hope alive.

Droid callers are not included because it was only necessary to experiment on one item, the one most characters require to pass gear 8.

Raid rewards are as stingy as they think they can get away with.

They are constantly, mercilessly analysing and monetising every aspect of this game, but there always has to be a balance between the developer and the player.

Most of us think they've gone too far, plus they didn't factor in the effect of pre-crafting. They have a problem, they've acknowledged it for the first time a few days ago. The solution won't be perfect, but hopefully it will go some way to healing the damage done so far.

I live in hope, for now.

This is exactly the truth. Ea isn't stupid. They know exactly what makes money and how hard to squeeze. They have people with masters degrees in economics crunching every number every day.

The fact that they even acknowledged pre crafting and all the other issues us the only thing keeping me around anymore. I'll bide my time, see how things go, and if out it doesn't improve in the next few months, then I'll know it's time to leave.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone might as well bow down and accept it for what it is. A moneygrab.

They don't care about the players; in fact they use our complaints against us to make money.

"They really hate evasion. Hey, I've got an idea. Let's leave evasion alone and create an aurodium character for them to buy!"

"They're really having a problem with credits. Let's remove the keycard battles so they'll have more reason to buy credit packs!"

"The players think drop rates on gear are way too low. Let's put gear in the store so they can buy it with crystals instead!"

The list goes on and on. The only thing being accomplished by complaints is giving them more ideas to rip us off.

• Options
    Their attitude is alarming. I don't really play F2P games much but this team of devs got to be some of the most irresponsible and unresponsive out there.

Case in point: I don't particularly care too much about pre-crafting. Until I read the community update where they basically said "wow I can't believe you still won't shut up about this. Guess we'll have to do something".

Regardless of what that "something" will eventually be, it just irked me that their original action plan was "let's wait it out. Eventually they'll stop complaining".

No, EA. It doesn't work like that. Consumers have a right to complain. And as long as your game exists people won't forget. If not on this issue, it will be another. Because people don't remember in terms of single issues. They remember in terms of whether or not the devs take responsibility on fixing the game.

If I bought a traditional game for $60 I expect my devs to listen to feedback and fix their problems. In 6 months I believe I have paid more than that amount. I expect no less just because it's an F2P.
  • DarthHernia
    200 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm happy it's EA
    Right. It's not like EA is a hated brand name associated with shoddy support, disrespect for franchises, quick cash-ins or anything. Oh wait.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    It's the internet. What do you expect? People want what they want and they want it rght now, so if they don't shoot up the ranks from day 1 it's got to be because:
    --Other people are cheating.
    --Other people are paying more than they are.
    --Other people are using broken characters.
    --The game is out to get them.

Folks have no patience.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Daenion
    91 posts Member
    Options
    Glory to the overlords! They have won numerous awards and broken records which no other company in the world could even dream of.

https://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea-makes-worst-company-in-america-history-wins-title-for-second-year-in-a-row/
  • Options
    This forum has never been positive. Nothing has happened to it. There's always been a boat load of nerf threads on toons, nerf threads about GW, and bickering between whales and low spenders / F2P.