Add diminishing returns

Suikoden
111 posts Member
there, pvp fixed

Long and insightful post is long and insightful

In all seriousness, have it teter totter...ability hits (ie. evade, speed down, etc..), lower % moving forward...each time it misses, higher % moving forward

Replies

• Zekex
    474 posts Member
    Options
    I think what you're looking for is psedo-random distribution. It is currently implemented in dota for probability based effect/damage.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Pseudo-random_distribution
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    And what's fixed by that? Requires a rebalancing of toons/abilities. Toons that rely on detrimetal effects to be effective in arena are not hit by this change the same way toons that rely on pure dmg do.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    And what's fixed by that? Requires a rebalancing of toons/abilities. Toons that rely on detrimetal effects to be effective in arena are not hit by this change the same way toons that rely on pure dmg do.

the link will explain it better.You are less likely to experience long periods of hot streaks or cold streaks. This applies to proc-based effects like dodge and drop rates.It does not require a rebalancing of toons/abilities
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    Zekex wrote: »

the link will explain it better.You are less likely to experience long periods of hot streaks or cold streaks. This applies to proc-based effects like dodge and drop rates.It does not require a rebalancing of toons/abilities

It's not a bad idea, it keeps abilities from completely locking somebody out for an entire game; it's no different than preventing one-shot kills. In World Of Warcraft they implemented diminishing returns in PVP and it was a good thing because certain Crowd Control abilities were too powerful.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Some teams actually rely on locking out the opposing toons. Teams that would otherwise be weak. I don't see how it fixes anything. It just moves the balance.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    Some teams actually rely on locking out the opposing toons. Teams that would otherwise be weak. I don't see how it fixes anything. It just moves the balance.

It's hard to explain unless you did competitive Arena in World of Warcraft. Toons like the "Rogue" and "Ice Mage" relied heavily on being able to CC their opponent through stuns and other immobilization effects. However, each use of that ability would last a little bit less until it didn't work at all anymore and then you had to give it "x" amount of time for it to wear off. It really did keep things balanced in the game. I don't know if it's a great idea for this game or not, but it would be interesting for the Dev's to consider and respond how it would actually affect the game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    1 quick question, what would diminish if a ability block proccs, but gets deflected ?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    Options
    This all sounds very nice but, how will they continue with such fairness?? I was always of the impression that they like this imbalance......
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    It's hard to explain unless you did competitive Arena in World of Warcraft. Toons like the "Rogue" and "Ice Mage" relied heavily on being able to CC their opponent through stuns and other immobilization effects.

Rogues and ice mages had other tools in their repetoire as well (dmg). What will Old Daka have left if this is implemented? Weak healing, weak dmg and and a very unreliable revive. That would render her useless.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    It's hard to explain unless you did competitive Arena in World of Warcraft. Toons like the "Rogue" and "Ice Mage" relied heavily on being able to CC their opponent through stuns and other immobilization effects.

Rogues and ice mages had other tools in their repetoire as well (dmg). What will Old Daka have left if this is implemented? Weak healing, weak dmg and and a very unreliable revive. That would render her useless.

This. Some characters are built around control and utility, implementing this system would be a direct nerf to them.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options

Her revive makes her a target for sure anyway. I don't know how or if it's even possible to implement something like this; I just said it's not a bad idea. LOL!
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    I thought they already had added diminishing returns.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • SantasWS
    165 posts Member
    Options
    the problem is more the speed of the TM on some of the hardest hitting toons like GS, Rey and Leia
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Her revive makes her a target for sure anyway. I don't know how or if it's even possible to implement something like this; I just said it's not a bad idea. LOL!

And I just pointed out some weaknesses in the idea. Yes, they can be dealt with, but it requires a rebalancing as previously stated.

PS. Don't take things personally. I'm discussing the suggestion — not you or your intellect.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    PS. Don't take things personally. I'm discussing the suggestion — not you or your intellect.

If only more people understood that.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options

And I just pointed out some weaknesses in the idea. Yes, they can be dealt with, but it requires a rebalancing as previously stated.

Didn't take it personally guy...
  • int3ns1fy
    210 posts Member
    Options
    Diminishing returns would certainly be nice not just for debuff, but for dodging (i.e. each time a toon dodges, their next chance of dodging is reduced). There are lots of easy and well-known ways of fixing the overabundance of dodging and stunning in arena, but given how long CG has been sitting on their hands I'm guessing whatever solution they do come up with will simply break the game somewhere else.