Arena is obnoxious at the top: What to be done about lockouts and sniping

Prev1
And no this isn't because I just got sniped...well I did, but I took my spot back before payout. Arena at the top near payout isn't fun. You basically have to sit there pounding on the battle button for 10 minutes hoping you can somehow get into a battle while someone out of battle for the 10 seconds it takes to refresh the time. Someone tell me how this is fun? It doesn't show who has the best team at payout, just who can get lucky enough to get through the lockout.

Replies

• Asavanor
    197 posts Member
    Options
    And no this isn't because I just got sniped...well I did, but I took my spot back before payout. Arena at the top near payout isn't fun. You basically have to sit there pounding on the battle button for 10 minutes hoping you can somehow get into a battle while someone out of battle for the 10 seconds it takes to refresh the time. Someone tell me how this is fun? It doesn't show who has the best team at payout, just who can get lucky enough to get through the lockout.

So true. Not the least bit enjoyable or skill testing.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Well it's PvP so you should expect players attacking you and trying to push you back
  • Tycho
    52 posts Member
    Options
    I vote for handing out rewards based on the best rank achieved for the day. No locking out.

Sure that means 20 people might get 500 crystals. Who cares, right EA? That's chump change anyways. Just do it. Arena would be way more enjoyable.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Options
    It's a pretty lame system. It would be a highly enjoyable experience if you could get your payout based on highest rank for the day
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well it's PvP so you should expect players attacking you and trying to push you back

I'm talking top 5 where everyone is simply locking out the person behind them or right in front of them for 10 minutes at the end. They aren't attacking me, they are just sitting on the timer for five minutes. The sniping is an issue too. The only way I could see that being solved is allowing us to take command when we get the "Someone is in a battle with you." That would make you think twice about sniping if you know someone is going to be on the other end waiting. Put a timer on moves so someone couldn't take advantage of it
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

I'm talking top 5 where everyone is simply locking out the person behind them or right in front of them for 10 minutes at the end. They aren't attacking me, they are just sitting on the timer for five minutes. The sniping is an issue too. The only way I could see that being solved is allowing us to take command when we get the "Someone is in a battle with you." That would make you think twice about sniping if you know someone is going to be on the other end waiting. Put a timer on moves so someone couldn't take advantage of it

Yes I know what it's like in top five
  • Asavanor
    197 posts Member
    Options
    Tycho wrote: »
    I vote for handing out rewards based on the best rank achieved for the day. No locking out.

Sure that means 20 people might get 500 crystals. Who cares, right EA? That's chump change anyways. Just do it. Arena would be way more enjoyable.

For sure this would be great.
  • Options

Yes I know what it's like in top five

Then how can you not agree? Its not how good your team is because no one wins on defense. Its how lucky you are when you push the battle button
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Usually if I annoy people enough they ignore me and take the spot under me
  • Options
    Asavanor wrote: »

I don't see how this would work. Someone that was number 1 at reset would just be #1 again.
  • Options
    Usually if I annoy people enough they ignore me and take the spot under me

Ah...see I did that and it backfired on me. I've annoyed this one guy a lot, and today he tried to ruin my payout by sniping me and leaving me 1:30. Luckily I auto'd his team. Sometimes annoying people causes them to try and get revenge
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Options

Got my vote
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Options

I don't see how this would work. Someone that was number 1 at reset would just be #1 again.

Who cares. It would make the overall experience much better. I could actually play different comps for fun
  • Options

This, right here.

Different people have different reset times (depending on time zone, I believe).
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Yea what he means is that you just have to take #1 right before your reset and you'll get #1 rewards for two days
  • Options
    The game is already starving for content so I've always seen sniping as some sort of sadistic form of entertainment. It's definitely not changing anytime soon.
  • Kib
    13 posts Member
    Options
    What they really should be doing is to cause you to DROP rank if you lose or draw to someone at a lower rank. Add a little risk to the lock down...
  • Options
    If they want to give free gems for little to no effort on my part who am I to complain? I'm sure PVP is not going the way the expected. They surely didn't except people to lock position during payout. And, there's nothing they can do about it, lol.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    It's actually just like any arena in any game I've played so it's probably just as they expected. Actually be glad that you get to control your team on offense, in other games it's all auto battles.
  • SantasWS
    165 posts Member
    Options
    maybe they should change it to most time spend at what rank within the 24h, that would still have ppl spend crystals to hold rank but would remove the last minute rush and also remove the advantage some players form odd timezones enjoy.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for months. I dont care for it but what's the solution that doesn't dumb everything down and hand out participation medals?
  • Options
    The 30,000 or 40,000 players who aren't here complaining disagree with you and think everything is fine the way it is.
  • Options
    CatoNines wrote: »
    The 30,000 or 40,000 players who aren't here complaining disagree with you and think everything is fine the way it is.

Oh you know that huh?
  • Options
    J7000 wrote: »
    I've been doing this for months. I dont care for it but what's the solution that doesn't dumb everything down and hand out participation medals?

I think the best thing to do is live pvp when you get the "Someone is in a battle with you" message. Take command of your squad, and put a timer on moves so you can't just sit there.
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Options
    Widening the payouts, just make it 1-2 3-5 6-10 10-20 as pay out slots
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Options
    The game is already starving for content so I've always seen sniping as some sort of sadistic form of entertainment. It's definitely not changing anytime soon.

Haha this. I know who all of the euro players are on my shard and when I'm bored I just lock them out because there's nothing else to do.
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Tak wrote: »
    It's a pretty lame system. It would be a highly enjoyable experience if you could get your payout based on highest rank for the day

I like this idea!

Arena was the reason I quit playing. It was super annoying and stressful having to play for an hour a day, making sure I time people out so it's impossible for them to take my rank. Having to coordinate with other people is even more ridiculous... Something needs to be changed for sure. At the lower ranks it's not as big of an issue -- but at the top it's completely obvious how flawed the payout system is. CG should not force us to play at the same time every day to get the best rewards.

My bf plays as well and he works the night shift, so he's totally unable to play during reward payout times. I end up having to play for him or he just rolls the dice and his guildmates help snipe people for him.
  • Options

Yup yup and yup
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options

I think the best thing to do is live pvp when you get the "Someone is in a battle with you" message. Take command of your squad, and put a timer on moves so you can't just sit there.

Haha, that would be evil
  • Options

Haha, that would be evil

Why? It would make things interesting, and with a timer on moves in live PVP, it would ensure no abuse