Pay to win??

Prev1
Phoenix0spud
17 posts Member
edited June 2016
Is Swgoh joining the growing club of "pay to win" games to play at the top level or is it down to gold old fashioned time, effort and skill??
-Spud, ally code 337-127-347

Pay to win?? 123 votes

Pay to win
27%
IvoB1987BerdilioEM650vincentlondonQuiteDrunkbenacrowTomekaceofthedarkFatzketajienaPadmeMeese_RancherslickdealerSamuraiDarth_cowboyaerendhilTimitockVinniarthLendokadricianTimKonn 34 votes
Time, effort and skill
18%
JJHBentWookieeStarSonGalgenstrickMofojokers1992GuardiasOobydoobNoSpoilDomLonJediMasterSavageVicLeandrovvsloweagleGoosySpaceDogHaydiganNot_Ceth_SenpaiDarthAleexSuper123FitzDjangoQuik 23 votes
A mix of both
31%
PokebreakerJ7000SongdjlottShadowHoundTheopiumRonTomfberbertKrychekSilleckSagefireSlyKrysisIsThisThomEnarethpower1AmYourFath3rDang3sgiggsyZiggy23Jedi_DaveShaolinPunk 39 votes
Mind numbing grind fest
21%
TelaanDhallunit900000NoTimeMegadeth3700Brazilian_JoeThewhiteonEGreg1920ToukaiHunterXJDubn87Big_BossKabbesBigralphy15Darling_VentressdjvitaTijiddarakulLastJediKinnick 27 votes

Replies

• Options
    Time, effort and skill
    Farm and play smartly and any F2P can be on top.
    Sinister Alliance (Leader) - accepting waitlist members - PM for information
  • Options
    Pay to win
    Only turned pay to win when raid gear was added to shipments.
  • Options
    Time, effort and skill
    Farm and play smartly and any F2P can be on top.

This. :)

• Super123
    233 posts Member
    Options
    Time, effort and skill
    Hard work and some smart thinking
  • Options
    Time, effort and skill
    Like could a new player with too much spare cash quickly and easily get himself to end game level??
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    Options
    Pay to win
    Lol without good toons and lots of them you have nothing in this game. Yes FTP can get 1 in arena daily but that doesn't mean you can 'win' in this game, whatever that is.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    Options
    A mix of both
    benacrow wrote: »
    Lol without good toons and lots of them you have nothing in this game. Yes FTP can get 1 in arena daily but that doesn't mean you can 'win' in this game, whatever that is.

Yeah, there is no winning. There is just farming forever as the cap gets moved up.

Whenever that happens pay players will pour money in and in a matter of days will be untouchable in arena... For a while. As long as we are given a bit of time, us free players can catch up. We just have to be super careful how we spend our resources. One wrong move can set us back for months.

Money helps, but it isn't impossible to "win" arena occasionally after the whales get to romp for a month or two.
  • Options
    When do I win, and what do I win? I though this game went on forever.

Do I win when I am number 1 in arena forever? Do I win when I 3 star all the light and dark side battles? Do I win when I am first place in my guild every raid?

Collaborative T7 guild looking for active members. Details here or PM me.
  • Options
    Time, effort and skill
    All good points guys, do you think the game would be better and better off if the ability to use real money in the game was taken away or perhaps reduced or capped?? Obviously this would never happen but opinion on the matte.
  • Options
    I pay to collect my 2nd acct is f2p and it's fun to use the the typical 5 to 7 and win but I bought a pack of 8 tonight n got zam and some crystals for it.
    -FightinPhantom 303rd/720th Mile High City
    191568986 Ally Code
    Phightin.Phantom@gmail.com
  • Options
    All good points guys, do you think the game would be better and better off if the ability to use real money in the game was taken away or perhaps reduced or capped?? Obviously this would never happen but opinion on the matte.

I have no problems with game developers and publishers making money. If you took away the money, the game, the IP (star wars, which you know they license for like um money) would cease to exist. We would not have a game.

EA and CG are in the business of making money. The game is f2p, but you can also pay money for certain advantages. This is how every single f2p game works unless it is ad based.

No offense but the question is kind of silly. Yes I would love it if they gave the game away for free and everyone was free to play.

Without money though this game would not exist.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    It's all about how fast you want results. Someone who didn't precraft, is having little luck with raid drops, and doesn't want to buy it with crystals may have to 'lose' for a while until they get the gear they need.
  • Options
    A mix of both
    You can win either way. Sure you can expedite the process by shelling out cash but if you are patient you can dominate your shard as a FTP.
  • JRA
    336 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A mix of both
    Somebody has to pay the programmers who make the game. It wouldn't exist if not for that. And honestly, if people want to pour thousands into the game it doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm glad they have it to spend. As long as we free players get to catch up every so often, and cool pay only toons become farmable eventually I'm fine with whales being on top of arena and having some toons first for a while.
  • Options
    Time, effort and skill
    TastyPants wrote: »

I have no problems with game developers and publishers making money. If you took away the money, the game, the IP (star wars, which you know they license for like um money) would cease to exist. We would not have a game.

EA and CG are in the business of making money. The game is f2p, but you can also pay money for certain advantages. This is how every single f2p game works unless it is ad based.

No offense but the question is kind of silly. Yes I would love it if they gave the game away for free and everyone was free to play.

Oh of course mate I agree with you 100%, It wouldn't work if they actually took the ability to do it away, the point I was trying to make which I probably could of worded better was are the people that are spending absurd amount of cash on the game ruining it for the people that done because they can't keep up??
  • Options

Oh of course mate I agree with you 100%, It wouldn't work if they actually took the ability to do it away, the point I was trying to make which I probably could of worded better was are the people that are spending absurd amount of cash on the game ruining it for the people that done because they can't keep up??

You would be appalled to learn what people spend on virtual bobbles. 5% of players make the game companies 90% of the cash. That is how mobile games work and it is not unique to this game.

Like others have said, you can do just fine as F2P you are just going to be slower. Honestly the really good F2P players are the best payers in the game hands down. They have a much better grasp on resource management and also think very hard about decisions since they are not shelling out cash to take the easy way out. If you are F2P take pride in it.

I personally occasionally buy crystals but not often. I am not 100% F2P but I also wont go after toons that are only available though packs.

• Options
    Time, effort and skill

You would be appalled to learn what people spend on virtual bobbles. 5% of players make the game companies 90% of the cash. That is how mobile games work and it is not unique to this game.

Like others have said, you can do just fine as F2P you are just going to be slower. Honestly the really good F2P players are the best payers in the game hands down. They have a much better grasp on resource management and also think very hard about decisions since they are not shelling out cash to take the easy way out. If you are F2P take pride in it.

I personally occasionally buy crystals but not often. I am not 100% F2P but I also wont go after toons that are only available though packs.

Yup and again I agree and I do think that the F2P players generally enjoy the game more and get a greater sense of achievement put of it.

Myself I can say I think I've bought around 3 sets of the £4 crystals over the course of several months and I'd like to think I wouldn't want to spend much more than that rich or not.

Ps. This has made my night shift go by a lot easier ha
  • Options
    A mix of both
    It's definitely not pay to win. Pay to play maybe. I have people on my old shard that don't pay, but they still occupy top 10 in arena, and consistently do heroic raids.

I pay to play and am definitely not winning, but I'm having a great time. I take pride in what I do, and I have accomplished a lot on this game. I do tier 5 & 6 raids, and usually sit in t50 PvP, so paying != winning. I don't spend my resources frivolously. I have a goal in this game, and I am very close to reaching it.

Without paying players, this game wouldn't be half of what it is now.

Without non-paying players, this game wouldn't be half of what it is now.
  • Options
    Time, effort and skill
    It's definitely not pay to win. Pay to play maybe. I have people on my old shard that don't pay, but they still occupy top 10 in arena, and consistently do heroic raids.

I pay to play and am definitely not winning, but I'm having a great time. I take pride in what I do, and I have accomplished a lot on this game. I do tier 5 & 6 raids, and usually sit in t50 PvP, so paying != winning. I don't spend my resources frivolously. I have a goal in this game, and I am very close to reaching it.

Without paying players, this game wouldn't be half of what it is now.

Without non-paying players, this game wouldn't be half of what it is now.

Very well put mate
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Options
    A mix of both
    I think i'm doing a lot better than most folks that play in my Shards. Definitely not a P2W.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Mind numbing grind fest
    There's nothing to win in this game. So, no, it's not pay to win.

500 arena crystals. Spend it all on shipment refreshes. Now you will get to buy some raid gear.

There's still a few F2P out of the million that will get more luck in shipments than you without buying refreshes. :)
  • NoTime
    15 posts Member
    Options
    Mind numbing grind fest
    îf you fear pay2win dont play any free2play game, because at the end of the day, they need to pay the bills that someone can play for free.
  • Options
    Pay a lot of crystals to win a little bit of crystals...

no thank you~
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    Options
    Anyone who says skill and time is not a f2p player. You can have a perfect team but you will always be playing catch up and as soon as the max lvl increases you are down at the bottom again. Gear 9 and 10 is such a huge difference, you can spend months trying to get furnaces or droid callers, and never get them while you are stuck going no where. You are always low on crystals and because you don't have the gear you won't receive anymore crystals either.

In theory yes a F2p player can hang in there but it will take several months and during that time you have characters added, characters changing, meta change, gear grinding and lvl cap increase.

Because the difference in gear 9-11 is so huge, yes this game has become pay to win. Also people need to understand if P2p players arnt winning in arena they sure are in raids.

If you pay to play and are not top tier it's not because you lack skill, it's because you made poor purchases.
  • Options
    Time, effort and skill
    Depends on how you define 'win' but certainly in pvp (arena) f2p can beat whales but that's mostly because def AI is so poor.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    Time, effort and skill
    All the content is accessible whether you pay money or not, every character and resource in the game is currently obtainable by anyone, paying money just speeds it up a little bit. If there were something like a paid membership with content only members could access that would be considered pay to win
  • Igor08
    221 posts Member
    Options
    Mind numbing grind fest
    Rey is free. RG is free. QGJ is free. That's all you need.
    And on the strength of that, I have to say that FTP players can compete. But only after a mind-numbing grind.
  • Options
    Pay to win
    this game is the very definition of pay to win, the more money you throw at the game the faster the climb to the top will be.

the idea that all content is available to all so it is not pay to win is ludicrous, there are heroes only available when you spend real money, some of these heroes are pivitol raid heroes or pvp synergy buffs that far outshine anything F2P has.

ok so, all this content will be available for free at some point but the question was "Is Swgoh joining the growing club of "pay to win" games to play at the top level or is it down to gold old fashioned time, effort and skill"

while time and effort will allow you to play every aspect of the game if you pay enough money you can buy yourself a clear advantage in raiding and pvp, although f2p can compete they can not claim the top for raids or pvp which makes this game completely pay to win.

and it has been since day one, unashamedly i might add.
  • Options
    Pay to win
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    All the content is accessible whether you pay money or not, every character and resource in the game is currently obtainable by anyone, paying money just speeds it up a little bit. If there were something like a paid membership with content only members could access that would be considered pay to win

not true. how do f2p people farm Rex shards? they do not. you buy them with chromium packs making Rex a pay to win hero.

you could save up your daily crystals and maybe buy 2 chromium packs a week, to farm a hero this way would take years and although possible is just a complete waste of time.
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    Time, effort and skill
    This game is one of the most f2p friendly I've experienced on mobile. Winning the game is topping your shard arena atm. And it can be done completely for free. I know first hand what I'm talking about.