Speed doesn't matter in arena

2Next

Replies

• Options
    At start each character have own base turn meter which not affected by speed. Only after that speed will become multiplier to their base turn meter.

That's my observation.
  • Options
    speed in this game **** me off. Sometimes I attack 1 time in the first 5 in an arena battle. it goes 2, 1, 2. Im the 1. And my team will have 1.6k more power than his team so I wonder how on earth I can be so unlucky, or they tried making the CPU much harder since it used to be easy. I think its broken tbh
  • Options
    Please check the guides section for a list of characters in various speed tiers. Some of the posts in here are quite silly and flat out wrong. Speed absolutely DOES matter, be it arena or elsewhere. Speed-based leader skills are a different thing entirely (some people are somehow getting them confused, though I don't know how). Speed-based leader skills do not affect STARTING (ie initial turn order) speed in arena. They work after that point however. They function as normal in other game modes.
  • Options
    It's just bugged, like 80% of this game.
  • Options
    Everything is a coin toss.

If we can agree speed doesn't matter, then why are people complaining about Poe?

It's all RNG.

This entire gambling psychological mechanic is a RNG fest designed to take your money. Simple really.

:smile:
  • Options
    yeahp0n wrote: »
    speed in this game **** me off. Sometimes I attack 1 time in the first 5 in an arena battle. it goes 2, 1, 2. Im the 1. And my team will have 1.6k more power than his team so I wonder how on earth I can be so unlucky, or they tried making the CPU much harder since it used to be easy. I think its broken tbh

Having more power overall doesn't mean much with regards to taking turns. As someone above said, read the guide(s). It's all about who is in the team and what their individual gear is for their actual speed ultimately.

It's probably looking different, as your "they tried making the CPU much harder " states because of the recent level cap increase because some characters have become total game changers due to the speed cap raising, Poe anyone? ;)
  • Options
    Control > Speed
  • CptCaveman
    713 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    moddom wrote: »
    After days of testing, and consulting with others that I know, I have come to find that first round turn order isn't based off a character's speed stat. For example: Old daka maxed out 7* has 126 speed, which is slower than my qgj, leia, and sidious yet the enemies daka will attack before my 3 faster characters. This is just one example, and yes I have taken into account the leader abilities that are being used to ensure their speeds have not been increased. I'm not really sure what first round turn order is based off of anymore because to me it clearly isn't the speed stat, or atleast the speed of a character isn't working in the way that it is supposed to.

Feel free to comment if you have experienced similar situations or if you think I am completely wrong and have evidence to the contrary. I would love to hear the findings from other people aside from myself and several others.

So the enemies Daka went first turn before any other toon? No one on the enemy team went before Daka?

No enemy Poe? He would tie for action in 7th round and go first, using taunt with turn meter reduction, which would result in Daka going before your faster characters.

If there is no Poe, I don't see how it could be possible. Maybe a bug with Daka. Speed always seems to work like it is described in the instinct guide to me. Will keep an eye out and see if I notice anything weird.
    Post edited by CptCaveman on
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Options
    CptCaveman wrote: »
    After days of testing, and consulting with others that I know, I have come to find that first round turn order isn't based off a character's speed stat. For example: Old daka maxed out 7* has 126 speed, which is slower than my qgj, leia, and sidious yet the enemies daka will attack before my 3 faster characters. This is just one example, and yes I have taken into account the leader abilities that are being used to ensure their speeds have not been increased. I'm not really sure what first round turn order is based off of anymore because to me it clearly isn't the speed stat, or atleast the speed of a character isn't working in the way that it is supposed to.

Feel free to comment if you have experienced similar situations or if you think I am completely wrong and have evidence to the contrary. I would love to hear the findings from other people aside from myself and several others.

So the enemies Daka went first turn before any other toon? No one on the enemy team went before Daka?

No enemy Poe? He would tie for action in 7th round and go first, using taunt with turn meter reduction, and could result in Daka going before your faster characters.

If there is no Poe, I don't see how it could be possible. Maybe a bug with Daka. Speed always seems to work like it is described in the instinct guide to me. Will keep an eye out and see if I notice anything weird.

Ive had daka go 1st turn in 3 different GW fights. Before my sid, rey, and poe. Even before the enemies own sid. If im not the only one whos seen this... seems like theres some sorta lf bug with her.
  • Xsi
    11 posts Member
    Options
    Speed DOES matter, but important speed points are 143+ for turn 1, 125+ for turn 2, 112+ for turn 3. If 2 heroes have a speed of 160 and 143, its a coinflip to see who goes first in turn 1. 142 speed heroes will always go after 143 speed heroes.
  • Options
    CptCaveman wrote: »

No enemy Poe? He would tie for action in 7th round and go first, using taunt with turn meter reduction, and could result in Daka going before your faster characters.

Ive had daka go 1st turn in 3 different GW fights. Before my sid, rey, and poe. Even before the enemies own sid. If im not the only one whos seen this... seems like theres some sorta lf bug with her.

She goes first before anyone? No enemy Poe?
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • Options
    Dont assume the characters are all max gear. It is more likely they are not, and thus Sid, Rey, Poe would still be turn 2 and tie Daka
  • Options
    Ptolemy wrote: »
    Dont assume the characters are all max gear. It is more likely they are not, and thus Sid, Rey, Poe would still be turn 2 and tie Daka

True. Would need to know both team comps with levels and gear to verify that it is a bug for certain. Lots of variables that could lead to what people are seeing.
  • Monkeyman
    143 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's a really good speed guide written by Team Instinct. Here it is

http://www.teaminstinct.net/speed-and-you-a-team-instinct-special/

Post edited by Monkeyman on
    If you are going to shoot, shoot, don't talk - Tuco Ramirez
  • Options
    Brigger wrote: »
    There has to be some RNG going on. Several times now when battling a team with Sid, their Sid will attack twice before my Sid attacks his first time. And my Sid is completely MAXED. I also make sure to watch if there are any debuffs or turn meter reductions happening from other people on the opposing team but I don't see it happen and usually none of the other heroes have that ability anyway.

I just battled a squad where all 5 of their heroes got to attack before any of mine. Sid, Chewy, Consular, IG 86 and Ahsoka is my team. My squad power was higher and its not like my heroes are slow. Yet, by the time I got to attack once, IG 86 was dead, and everyone else was at half health with several healing immunity debuffs on them. The opposing team didn't have any speed buffs either. So **** happened? Needless to say I retreated instead of wasting my time.

In GW, I've seen a lvl 50 Sid in lvl 6 gear attack first, before my maxed out Sid. How does this make sense?
    Some part of it HAS to be random, and I ****ing hate it!

That's part of Sid's skills - Sid's Sadistic Glee has "25% chance to gain 50% turn meter" whenever any unit is defeated. So if his Sid is lapping yours, it's likely because he got the meter gain to proc. 50% is a huge bump on top of Sid's natural speed, so he will fly up in the turn order.
  • Options
    I'd be careful about any anecdotal type "my Dooku always goes first" stuff. I too thought that I tended to notice Dooku winning turn 1 meter rolls - my speculation was that within a given turn, it was weighted somehow to give a truly faster hero a higher chance to win initiative (I think this is how it should be done - would be an easy addition to the calculation). To test this out, I went to Cantina over 2 days and put Poe and Dooku on the same team and noted who went first. There were streaks back and forth, but ultimately after 30 battles, it was split dead even at 15 to 15. Those two are currently at the extremes of highest turn speed tier - if there was anything but random RNG determining same-turn rolls, those two should tease that out.

I've also never personally seen the turn meter rules (as noted by the (iN) guide linked above) broken at the initial turns. Until I see proof I'm considering that meter analysis to be the law of speed.

Just be careful no additional turn meter stuff is going on that is impacting the order. I'll give you a great example today. Poggle is 142 speed - one of the faster characters. I have a Snowtrooper, 98 speed, one of the slower. ST has a unique though that he gains meter whenever any unit is defeated. I was testing builds today using both of them, and because of 2 deaths before each character went, ST actually shot ahead of Poggle for turn 1 and went before Poggle. Now, if I didn't know ST did that I'd be saying that speed was broke....how could ST outpace Poggle?...but he did.
  • Options
    The one thing I don't like about this speed meta is that it cheapens the game on the whole. Most teams I face in Squad Arena are endless duplicate speed cookie cutter teams that make you feel like you are playing the same team over and over and what kind of fun is this for anyone???

EA/CG has a difficult task ahead of them, create balance within the game so that all the characters in the game are useful. If they don't, what will eventually occur is every new team and player will have the same team and the existence of whales will be over as most pay-for players will only buy the 5 characters that can help them win Arena and abandon the rest. EA is the loser in this deal. Why collect 70+ characters that are worthless to you in-game when you only need 6 of them to perform well in Arena and whatever junk you build along the way to get through GW???
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Speed is king atm. u can get rid of 2 chars before your opponent even moves.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    QGJM wrote: »

Sort of true. Speed and damage are the two most important considerations in building a team. However, only Poe allows you to wipe two opposing toons out before that team even acts by manipulating the turn meter on the first turn.
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks to Ewok of Instinct, we know that the game presses all of the individual heroes speed on each turn (or "tick"). Turns 1 through 6 are usually instantaneous since the combined ticks have not accumulated the threshold of 1000. Once the threshold is reached, heroes will begin to take their actions. The logic of this process holds up through most tests, but leave room for questions.

1. What happens when two or more heroes hit the threshold prior to the next tick?
    2. Why do heroes require 6 or more ticks to take their first action, but then only a couple ticks to take their second action?

Again, Ewok of Instinct speculated that some form of a tie breaker was implemented to break ties when two or more heroes hit the threshold prior to a tick. The Devs have commented loosely after Ewoks speed analysis confirming the existence of these tie breakers while attempting to explain other observed phenomena. How exactly the tie breaker works is still a question. Through many observations, I have a reasonable understanding of how a tie breaker occurs.

As some of you know, I typically run some sort of turn manipulation composition: my teams usually consist of 3 or 4 layers of turn control. Because of my affinity for turn control, I have gained insights through observations which provide repeatable conditions in tie breaker situations. To simplify the explanation, I'll break the larger tie breaker question into smaller questions and then answer each of those smaller questions with repeatable conclusions which anyone can test on their own.

What happens in tie breaker situations?
    - What happens when two heroes tie prior to the next tick?
    - What happens when more than two heroes tie prior to the next tick?
    - What happens when a hero not in turn is pushed into turn by turn manipulation from a hero who is in action?

What happens when two heroes tie prior to the next tick?
    The more complex to answer, and the basis for understanding all tie breaker conditions. First we'll take a look at the RNG seed mechanics. An RNG seed is planted at the start of the encounter. A seed is a pre-complied string of sequential numbers. When a seed is planted (or chosen through RNG), the RNG is actually selecting one of many pre-built strings of numbers (e.g. 2, 9, 7, 1, 4, 2, 7, 5, 1, 6, 3, 5, 5 etc.). Once a seed is planted, all seemingly random events are actually the next sequential digit along the seeded string of numbers. The seed is a 1-dimensional array of digits with each digit having an index. In the example string of digits above, the 9 has an index of 2 (the second digit in the string of digits), and the first 7 has an index of 3. Every time a dice roll is required, the index is increased by 1, and the seeded digit is used to determine the outcome.
    Repeatable Example: The existence of a seed string can be verified through the Retreat option in GW, where performing the same actions will provide the same results over and over. This is due to the call to the RNG seed index, and the returning digit being the same each time as with the first match. In the GW team selection menu, by changing the members of the team, or by moving the members around in the team, a new RNG seed is planted, thus you will see different results.
    The RNG seed index can be adjusted in match by selecting a hero. Each time a hero is selected, the RNG seed index is increased. To verify this, play the first few actions out in a GW match, and then retreat. Perform the same actions and observe how the outcome is identical to the first match. Retreat and play a third time, but at the start of the GW match, before any heroes have taken an action, select an enemy hero (any will do). Now attempt to play the match out exactly as in the first two matches. You will find completely different results. Retreat and do the same hero selection at the start and repeat your actions to find that the match plays out identically to the third match. With this, you can calibrate the RNG seeds index for favorable results.

As for tie breakers. The same seed index is used to determine the winner of a tie breaker. Team 1's unit above the threshold is given a digit returned from the seed, and then team 2's hero is given a digit returned from the seed. The greater the digit wins the tie breaker. This is how a tie breaker can exist between two identical units of the exact speed. Team 1 is the defending team, and team 2 is the player controlled team.

So what happens when more then two heroes tie?
    The same process occurs, but it happens more than once. Team 1 hero(es) are given a seed digit, then team 2's hero(es) are gives a digit. The highest digit takes an action. Once that units action is complete, the whole tie breaker process repeats. Team 1 hero(es) are given a seed digit, then team 2's hero(es) are gives a digit, and the highest digit takes an action.

Example: Team 1 Poe (T1P), Team 1 Dooku (T1D), Team 2 Poe (T2P), Seed (..., 3, 9, 7, 3, 3, 6, 0, 1, 4, 2, 4, ...)
    T1P = 3
    T1D = 9
    T2P = 7
    T1D takes action
    T1P = 3
    T2P = 3
    Tie - Redistribute
    T1P = 6
    T2P = 0
    T1P takes action
    T2P only hero left > threshold
    T2P takes action

Finally, What happens when a turn begins, the first tie breaker has been decided, and the hero taking action performs a turn increase for their team, bringing new heroes above the threshold?
    The same thing occurs. When the action is complete of the Hero who won the first tie breaker, the system counts ALL heroes currently above the threshold, and applies a digit from the seed.

The logic would look something like this: For Each Hero > Threshold

Example: Team 1 Teebo ties with Team 2 Luminara.
    Team 1 Teebo wins the first tie breaker and uses stealth. This ability increases Team 1 Teebos Turn meter by 100%.
    Team 1 Teebo and Team 2 Luminarea enter another tie breaker.
    Team 1 Teebo wins the second tie breaker and takes the next action ahead of Luminara on Team 2.
    Team 2 Luminara is the only hero > threshold and takes her action.

Again. None of this is Dev confirmed. This is just from extensive observation while applying effort to understand the mechanics.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    Options
    There is no spoon.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    QGJM wrote: »

Sort of true. Speed and damage are the two most important considerations in building a team. However, only Poe allows you to wipe two opposing toons out before that team even acts by manipulating the turn meter on the first turn.

That's true because enemy also has Poe. Otherwise, a team of high speed dos can kill 2-3 guys in first turn against average or slightly above average speed toons.
    A team made of Rey, QGJ, Geo, Leia and FTOP (to be called as an assist) could wipe two chars of a team made of, say... Droids if they don't have Poe themselves.
    Poe allows you to move 5-0 if the other guy has speed chars as well. But even in a Poe-less works, speed and damage is way too important. Chars like Assajj are overlooked because of their speed
  • Options
    This is an old post before ewok made the guide. I am also part of iNstinct so I am well aware now :) You all are still welcome to use this post to chat but my views have changed from the time this was posted.
  • Options

Edit: Old Post no longer relevant, feel free to keep discussing but my views have changed.

We are in the same top 10. I see it too. I have 4 Turn 7 toons and I've had Daka go before me too. I had Phasma go before, That Finn lead has gone before me too. It is certainly a head scratcher. You are not alone though I've noticed it a lot lately.
  • Options

Edit: Old Post no longer relevant, feel free to keep discussing but my views have changed.

We are in the same top 10. I see it too. I have 4 Turn 7 toons and I've had Daka go before me too. I had Phasma go before, That Finn lead has gone before me too. It is certainly a head scratcher. You are not alone though I've noticed it a lot lately.

Yeah some things are understandable but some of the turn meters still dont make sense.
  • Options
    I have also noticed that if my QGJ as all 3 skill up and available to use he will ALWAYS be the first to go in any match and thus my next in line will follow no matter how many of their skills are available to use.

BUT if QGJ has only 2 of his 3 skills available, he might go first or might not. If he does go first with only his main and another skill available I will lose the advantage "sometimes" for my second character, not including an assist attack.

All this is based on the START of the battle. Not someplace along the line when meters are flucuating.
  • Options
    The balance in this game is garbage lets face it, speed should not be such a decisive factor over other factors. If I have 900 more power than a player should I lose because of speed? You know dang well the answer is no, speed ruins this game.
  • Options
    In Arena I've seen enemy's Aayla (117 speed) attack before my Poe (143 speed), which doesn't make any sense.

It's not the first time I see slower toons attack before faster ones though, it happens quite often actually.
    The only constant for me is my toons never happen to have this strange behavior regarding speed, it's always enemies (AI).
    I really think there is something not right with AI controlled enemies. Sometimes the % seems way bigger than ability descriptions say, as others have mentioned. So I wouldn't be surprised if Speed is somehow having the same sort of issues.

Definitely a bug or a hidden % chance/dice-roll that would allow slower toons attack first.