Speed doesn't matter in arena

Prev1
moddom
238 posts Member
edited February 2016
After days of testing, and consulting with others that I know, I have come to find that first round turn order isn't based off a character's speed stat. For example: Old daka maxed out 7* has 126 speed, which is slower than my qgj, leia, and sidious yet the enemies daka will attack before my 3 faster characters. This is just one example, and yes I have taken into account the leader abilities that are being used to ensure their speeds have not been increased. I'm not really sure what first round turn order is based off of anymore because to me it clearly isn't the speed stat, or atleast the speed of a character isn't working in the way that it is supposed to.

Feel free to comment if you have experienced similar situations or if you think I am completely wrong and have evidence to the contrary. I would love to hear the findings from other people aside from myself and several others.

Edit: Old Post no longer relevant, feel free to keep discussing but my views have changed.
Post edited by moddom on

Replies

• Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    Its not random, there is a hidden bonus to each hero speed bar, and that is random, so sometimes lower speed ones reach the end of the bar first.
  • Options
    @Otar Can you back this up with actual proof? Can a dev actually explain how Speed works in this game?
  • Options
    wow, it sounds perfect :)
    how stupid it is lol
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    @Otar Can you back this up with actual proof? Can a dev actually explain how Speed works in this game?

No, sorry, nothing in this game have proof, just observation. And having played so many matches, that's my observation, speed matters, its just not fixed on round 1.
  • Options
    This is also what i have noticed after several matches in both Arena and GW.
    It seems like its a dice throw who goes first, characters with higher speed ofc having better odds of doing so.
  • Options
    ive noticed if i fight vs an enemy with dooku & sid, dooku always goes first then sid, then my slower toons get a chance to attack, i do think on who starts the first hit is random though,if you and the enemy has a dooku, either will go first, dice roll i think.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    @Scorpion1980
    Last month I believe I saw a dev (Jesse or Aaron) reply to something like this. I believe it got sort of confirmed that first round is random (speedwise). Now I haven't used the search option but you can try to search on Speed or Jesse :P
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    I noticed when I switch Talia out for fives, in a team with sid and dooku, against an equal team with sid and dooku, it goes from there dooku getting first attack to me getting first attack, so I think all your team members, has somting to do with first strike.
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    http://imgur.com/a/npvxo

This screenshot clearly shows a team with Jedi with Qui Gon as lead, and then that same team vs the same opponent with Qui Gon switchedo ut for leader.

As you can see, my starting speed bars are IDENTICAL.

Soooo either Qui Gon isn't actually doing anything and his leader skill simply doesn't work, or there is definitely weird stuff happening with the first turn and speed.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you combine the speeds on both teams you way under his combined speed, and sid is fastest of the two + qgj leder ability say "Jedi allies gains speed" not "all Jedi gains speed", witch can be interpetated that it does not include himself
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    Not random at all. Dooku ALWAYS goes first an maul/asajj never go first always going last
  • Options
    My Poggle usually goes before my Sid despite being 8 points behind on speed. And I've had Kylo go before my Lumi even though there's considerable difference in speed.
  • shimmy
    200 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I always notice Dooku going first whether it is mine or the opponent's Dooku. I do feel there is some randomness there as I can often tell I have a better geared/leveled Dooku and he goes second.

Wouldn't surprise me though if there is some random thing that makes the stats useless to start. It is an EA game after all where they ALWAYS have to throw in some lame code instead of just going simply by stats and logic. So frustrating.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    My Poggle usually goes before my Sid despite being 8 points behind on speed. And I've had Kylo go before my Lumi even though there's considerable difference in speed.

Nice to know Poggle goes before Sid. Mwahahhaah
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    Ztyle wrote: »
    If you combine the speeds on both teams you way under his combined speed, and sid is fastest of the two + qgj leder ability say "Jedi allies gains speed" not "all Jedi gains speed", witch can be interpetated that it does not include himself

Old Ben and Aayla are both Jedi on the team. Both have identical turn meter positionings regardless of Qui Gon being lead or not. I never said anything about not going first. I said why are Jedi allies at the exact same speed positioning with or without Qui Gon's leader ability?

• Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    @Naecabon Aayla might, just get up to the speed of sid, and there the system might say sid gets the advantage, since his speed is base, old ben is so slow that even with boost he will first get his turn after poggle
  • Options
    Good information for all, it may help the newer players to farm the appropriate team members...
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    shimmy wrote: »
    I always notice Dooku going first whether it is mine or the opponent's Dooku. I do feel there is some randomness there as I can often tell I have a better geared/leveled Dooku and he goes second.

Wouldn't surprise me though if there is some random thing that makes the stats useless to start. It is an EA game after all where they ALWAYS have to throw in some lame code instead of just going simply by stats and logic. So frustrating.

You don't need to "know" a game to play it anymore, just go with it, and pay for it, and in the end if you are unhappy, well your problem! Really love the new gaming mentality!
  • Brigger
    241 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There has to be some RNG going on. Several times now when battling a team with Sid, their Sid will attack twice before my Sid attacks his first time. And my Sid is completely MAXED. I also make sure to watch if there are any debuffs or turn meter reductions happening from other people on the opposing team but I don't see it happen and usually none of the other heroes have that ability anyway.

I just battled a squad where all 5 of their heroes got to attack before any of mine. Sid, Chewy, Consular, IG 86 and Ahsoka is my team. My squad power was higher and its not like my heroes are slow. Yet, by the time I got to attack once, IG 86 was dead, and everyone else was at half health with several healing immunity debuffs on them. The opposing team didn't have any speed buffs either. So **** happened? Needless to say I retreated instead of wasting my time.

In GW, I've seen a lvl 50 Sid in lvl 6 gear attack first, before my maxed out Sid. How does this make sense?
    Some part of it HAS to be random, and I ****ing hate it!
  • Options
    J7000 wrote: »

Nice to know Poggle goes before Sid. Mwahahhaah

My Sid and poggle are the same speed. It is random who goes first.... Unfortunately. Both 6*. at 136 speed. Did not upgrade Sid on purpose. I wish i could remove gear...
    134-693-359 Full but accepting lvl 70 only

dj
  • Options
    Weird. I hadn't refreshed my GCWs so I had two to do back to back. And every match the Dookus would go first. Then my Old Daka, then my Sid, then some of their team. And my Old Daka is slower than my Sid. Literally every single match. It didn't matter if they were level 50's in green and blue gear or 60's in purple.

Ladies and gentleman, EA!
    Star Wars: Galaxy of Supporting Cast Members
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We'll never know.
    Post edited by Naecabon on
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    Speed bonuses do not affect the start.
    They're not active until a char is.

Speed very much matters.
  • Options
    Baal wrote: »
    Speed bonuses do not affect the start.
    They're not active until a char is.

Speed very much matters.
    Speed bonus very much does effect the start since dooku or Leia will almost always go first. I have my own thoughts speed but I don't want to discuss them anymore lol. Let's just say that things aren't as random as you think and a lot of the randomness has to do with how the game handles multiple people with full turn meters.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    That is not speed bonus. That is speed.
  • Options
    Speed is a hellva drug :p
  • Enterprise4691
    77 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Top_Quark wrote: »
    I root for dev explanation. But yes, from the looks of it there is a % random variation of speed.

Expect it to be replied in a couple of months lol. This is devastating news to me as well. Just bought my first 5 Ackbar shards and now im hearing this nonsense. Haiz why not I just stick to the bloody meta and get Sid.
  • Options
    moddom wrote: »
    After days of testing, and consulting with others that I know, I have come to find that first round turn order isn't based off a character's speed stat. For example: Old daka maxed out 7* has 126 speed, which is slower than my qgj, leia, and sidious yet the enemies daka will attack before my 3 faster characters. This is just one example, and yes I have taken into account the leader abilities that are being used to ensure their speeds have not been increased. I'm not really sure what first round turn order is based off of anymore because to me it clearly isn't the speed stat, or atleast the speed of a character isn't working in the way that it is supposed to.

Feel free to comment if you have experienced similar situations or if you think I am completely wrong and have evidence to the contrary. I would love to hear the findings from other people aside from myself and several others.

I actually beg to differ... Dooku is one of the fastest characters in the game.. And whenever i have faced him or used him.. He always takes the first turn.. So it actually goes like the fastest gets the first turn... Also Sid has a decent speed.. And ive seen him goin first in a team if the other toons in the team are slower than him..
  • Xceptor
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Its actually very simple mechanics. Its a hidden initiative roll like countless games before that.
    What is the roll? Its definetely:
    Speed stat + roll of 1 dice, maybe a 6 face die or a 10 face die. Highest sum, goes first. No idea how a tie is resolved. (obviously since its software, it can be a 7,5 face die, or a variant dice taking composition into account. I bet its just a simple RNG roll of a small number though instead of an Inversive congruential effect.)
    The extra die roll cant be very high because we all see Dooku always getting first turn, and his Speed stat difference compared to the rest of the heros isnt more than 10-15.

So ye, its a roll of a small die that gives the RNG, but the Speed stat is the most important factor. If for example, you bring lower level characters in a fight of 60s, they will never go first because their speed stat is low
  • Eaywen
    422 posts Member
    Options
    You do know it's not a every character gets to make a move and it's a new turn/round game dontcha? It's a 1d10 to start meter at 100 meter you go, and you get speed in meter per second game. Slow asajj and dooku will get 3 moves in before she gets 1.