Is a dispeller a must in arena?

Salgado9
529 posts Member
edited June 2016
With taunts and other buffs being a huge thing in arena, is a dispeller a must? Like QGJ, ventress, or teebo etc

Is a dispeller a must in arena? 91 votes

Yeah
41%
FakeRobbobenacrowKrychekMcPot45MithMizake_MizanMikymateTuftedpaper85MezmoWeezy_vegas17AnimalMotherJoseIrimiaTooltjeLeandrovvModeratusImperialisJ_LowBigralphy15aerendhilTimitockMol_Eliza_oops 38 votes
No
58%
TelaanJ7000SlyGambitHbk146BerdilioStarSonRonTomTakunit900000TomekGwonkStuwartSmokeyJoe320Megadeth3700IrrlichtNaugrinRAYRAYIsThisThomKingken851AmYourFath3r 53 votes

Replies

• Options
    No
    No.
    Collaborative T7 guild looking for active members. Details here or PM me.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No
    On my February server it's

Droid team (no debuffer needed)
    Clone team (sunfac or echo or Plo, as debuffer)
    Jedi team (need QGJ for speed, and he is a debuffer)
    Ackbar Leia team (not necessarily)
    or...

1. Ben/Dook/Phasma lead
    2. Rey is the one and only constant, must have toon.
    3.Tank (if ben lead, use han. If dook or phasma, use RG)
    4. Take your pick of QGJ/GS/5's/Daka/Phasma/second tank ; QGJ totally optional
    5. Take your pick of QGJ/GS/5's/Daka/Phasma/second tank ; QGJ totally optional

So, no... debuffers are not needed. The only thing that is a must is to have Rey and to protect Rey. But the Ben/Han/Rey/GS/QGJ team seems to be the bestest of the F2P teams on my server. There are like 3 exactly the same team in my top ten every day, lately.
  • Salgado9
    529 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »

or...

1. Ben/Dook/Phasma lead
    2. Rey

So, no... debuffers are not needed. The only thing that is a must is to protect your own Rey. Why debuff the other team's tank when you can just kill it outright?

So much for a tank
  • Options
    Yeah
    Yes. On my shard at least there are many ST Han/RG teams (I run it myself). You need a dispeller for them. I neglected QGJ to farm Daka for a while and had to come back for him. If you are p2p, then Sun fac is probably your best bet. He is crazy good now that they fixed him
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No
    So much for a tank
    Yeah. If you're server doesn't have to many Rey's, and you don't have Rey, then you need a debuffer. Once Rey is there, you can have all the debuffers in the world, and you still can't beat the team with Rey very well. And the teams with Rey will beat you even without a debuffer.

Once Rey is there, you still need tank(s), but the primary purpose is to protect Rey until she gets off her two specials, it seems.
  • Options
    So much for a tank
    Yeah. If you're server doesn't have to many Rey's, and you don't have Rey, then you need a debuffer. Once Rey is there, you can have all the debuffers in the world, and you still can't beat the team with Rey very well. And the teams with Rey will beat you even without a debuffer.

Once Rey is there, you still need tank(s), but the primary purpose is to protect Rey until she gets off her two specials, it seems.

Why not bring a Dispeller instead of a Debuffer?
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No
    That's what I meant. Dispeller. Detaunter. Even with a detaunter, it's usually not in time to change much, IMO. Unless it's a cheezy Han only tank team without Ben lead. Those teams are fine on offense but don't stick in top tiers on defense on a mature server.

Any other Rey team with dual tanks or Dooks and RG, detaunter is not going to save the day. Between foresight and the screen that the tank provides unti you can detaunt, it's usually too late. With ben/han, your Teebo/QGJ/Assaj is usually going to be blocked. Best way to beat Rey is with one of the synergy teams or with your own Rey. Sadly, Rey is the must have toon. Not the detaunter. At this point on my server, anyway. Either you manage to wipe Rey before the taunt, or you finish her with AOE, or you manage to keep her debuffed.. But by the time you can detaunt, haha, that's the last ditch effort.

One day, I hope to try different combos. But this is what I see in my arena.
  • Options
    Yeah
    Some teams carry up to two tanks. Have fun eating through that to get to their DPS
  • Options
    Yeah
    In any veteran server there is always St Han and rg and a mixed Rey who hits for up to 30k...if you can't kill her you lose its that simple.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No
    Some teams carry up to two tanks. Have fun eating through that to get to their DPS
    Problem is, by the time you detaunt and get back to Rey and get through her foresight, she has already had 4 or 5 turns. That's if QGJ wasn't blocked or killed by now. And if you try to carry two detaunters, you don't have the dps to finish off the team, even if you manage to kill Rey. This is my perception.

On an early server, the detaunt is key. As Rey takes over, it becomes way more effective to kill or debuff Rey before the taunt occurs. Again, that's my perception on my server. I see teams without a dispeller doing just fine. Using the aforementioned template.

I might add, I used to run a cheezy Droid team with Han, and even then I basically ignored QGJ. QGJ was a non factor. Even if he detaunted my Han immediately. No problem... if I had managed to kill Rey before/despite RG protected her.

I have dooku. I have ben, RG, han, GS, QGJ, Plo, and Phasma. I dont' have Rey. It's not evasion. It's not the tanks. I can't beat the Rey team with QGJ and/or Plo. It doesn't matter, if you don't have Rey. And if you have Rey, you don't need the detaunter (from what I see these teams achieving on my server).

The formula is simple. If you're F2P, you either use droids. Or you have Rey. Or you are content to be locked out of the top 50.
    Post edited by LastJedi on
  • Tomek
    327 posts Member
    Options
    No
    Dispeller like Ackbar or Edler we do not need on arena. It this is rebel or ewok team, you should use Acbar and Edler of course.
    If you will ask about debuffer , the answer can be dieffrent.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah
    Let's make this quite simple.

Almost everyone runs RG, st Han or Sun fac. So u need qgj or other to dispel taunt. Otherwise will loose at least a whole turn trying to bring down the tank.

Other option is a squad with high health like phasma, fives, etc... In this case u don't need a toon to dispel, because your team can resist to a lot of hits and survive.
  • bngman
    369 posts Member
    Options
    No

or...

1. Ben/Dook/Phasma lead
    2. Rey is the one and only constant, must have toon.

So, no... debuffers are not needed. The only thing that is a must is to have Rey and to protect Rey. But the Ben/Han/Rey/GS/QGJ team seems to be the bestest of the F2P teams on my server. There are like 3 exactly the same team in my top ten every day, lately.

Qgj is a taunt remover!
  • Tavanh
    523 posts Member
    Options
    I've gotten wrecked facing against QGJ lead, OB, RG, ST Han, Rey. Once OB lands his Mind Tricks on majority of your units... you just get pummeled down.
  • Options
    No.

I have found that the combo of IGD (defense buff) and Old Ben (offense/special debuff) can take away the need for a de-taunter. Even with Rey and QGJ on the other team, the damage is so mitigated that you can go after RG or STH first, then take down the DPS characters at will.
  • DjangoQuik
    863 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There are like 2 teams in my top 30 who don't have a taunter, whether RG or Han. I don't use a dispeller and I struggle against RG & Rey teams but can occasionally sneak into top 20.

So it's not really a yes/no answer - it depends how high you're aiming.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Options
    No
    Droid team I run doesn't have a dispeller or stunner. They do enough damage early (and big damage numbers) that you can avoid taunts plus the AoE ability blocks from both HK and IG-88 limit the ability for anyone sans RG from taunting. On a non-droid team you don't need a dispeller when you have someone like Rey who can 'dispel' a STHan taunt by clicking her attack button. :)

• fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    No
    Since running droids I haven't missed QGJ at all. The only thing I've lost to is RNG against dodge leads, but there's no counter for that. Even B2 can miss.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    Options
    No
    Not if you have enough dps.
  • Options
    No
    A dispeller would make things easier, but it's not a requirement.
  • Options
    No
    Not required, but QGJ is a great guy to have on a team... removes turn meter, assist attacks... his dispel is just a nice bonus