A thought on the difficulty of events.

PainSaber
156 posts Member
edited June 2016
I notice many people calling for harder gw, harder raids, harder events. These people say they want these difficult modes simply because "they love the challenge" and not because they want to increase the gap between them and lower players by having access to resources less powerful players don't have. I propose an idea. Create a challenge section of brutal challenges/modes, that an individual can complete for a trophy on their profile or some type of bragging rights, but absolutely NO resources/shards of any kind. If all the challenge seekers are being honest, then this should make them happy, while allowing all of the resources and shards of the game to be accessible to everyone equally:)

Replies

• J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Please be more descriptive with thread title
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Options
    No rewards = no need to pay real money = no chances of ever happening.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    No rewards = no need to pay real money = no chances of ever happening.

There would be the same things to spend money on as there are now. This is an addition, not a reboot of the entire game
  • PainSaber
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    J0K3R wrote: »

Considering the vast multitude of vague titles that grace these forums all the time...no :smile:

Btw, no rules have been broken
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    PainSaber wrote: »

Considering the vast multitude of vague titles that grace these forums all the time...no :smile:

Wow.. seriously? It *IS* in the "Rules"

He asked, nice and said please. He could have warned you, after all this is in the ToS.

Be descriptive
    Other users may have similar but different ideas or problems. The more information that is provided the more productive your post will be.

but he did not.. he was nice, and you decide to kick it back? :|

I will go ahead and change your title.. :)
  • Options
    I notice many people calling for harder gw, harder raids, harder events. These people say they want these difficult modes simply because "they love the challenge" and not because they want to increase the gap between them and lower players by having access to resources less powerful players don't have. I propose an idea. Create a challenge section of brutal challenges/modes, that an individual can complete for a trophy on their profile or some type of bragging rights, but absolutely NO resources/shards of any kind. If all the challenge seekers are being honest, then this should make them happy, while allowing all of the resources and shards of the game to be accessible to everyone equally:)

Ummm no. Everyone was whining about GW being too hard, so they nerfed it, and now it's a joke...
  • Options

Wow.. seriously? It *IS* in the "Rules"

He asked, nice and said please. He could have warned you, after all this is in the ToS.

Be descriptive
    Other users may have similar but different ideas or problems. The more information that is provided the more productive your post will be.

but he did not.. he was nice, and you decide to kick it back? :|

I will go ahead and change your title.. check your inbox. :)

Now I wish I saw the original title. Lol
  • Options
    M31Andro wrote: »

Ummm no. Everyone was whining about GW being too hard, so they nerfed it, and now it's a joke...

Why would this not work. This would give the challenge seekers what they want without affecting the rest of the playerbase
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I like this idea. Every event should have an impossible mode. The disclaimer on impossible mode should be that it is not intended to be finished. It may or may not be able to be finished. As long as it doesn't cost anything to do it would be great.

Just add a rewards case when you click on people's arena team. A Vader trophy for empire challange, a Yoda trophy for the Yoda challange. A Rancor head for when your guild beats impossible mode on a raid.

This will generate more Crystal sales as the completionists will be incentivized to beat these challanges.
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    The only ones who will dislike this idea are the ones who don't really care about challenge, only protecting their advantages.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Or, they could actually give rewards people would want like omegas, credits, crystals, etc. My guild isn't doing heroics for bragging rights. I don't do higher tiered credit, ability mat, or training droid challenges for a trophy. I also don't want to waste time doing an impossible challenge, raid, what have you, knowing I'm never going to finish it. If there's a higher challenge then there needs to be a higher reward. I could care less if the next person does it or not or for what reason. If they don't have the time, sorry about your luck. But that's on them. Anything short of better rewards is a waste of time.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sying wrote: »
    Or, they could actually give rewards people would want like omegas, credits, crystals, etc. My guild isn't doing heroics for bragging rights. I don't do higher tiered credit, ability mat, or training droid challenges for a trophy. I also don't want to waste time doing an impossible challenge, raid, what have you, knowing I'm never going to finish it. If there's a higher challenge then there needs to be a higher reward. I could care less if the next person does it or not or for what reason. If they don't have the time, sorry about your luck. But that's on them. Anything short of better rewards is a waste of time.

Then don't do them.

The arguement against making things hard with big rewards is they increase the gap between the haves and have nots which is not necessarily good for long term game balance.

Why do you play the game? (Serious question)
  • Options

See you're honest about why you play. You don't sit and whine things get to easy, claiming that the "challenge" is no longer there and thats mainly why you play. You play to progress. This is to give those that honestly want a challenge something more to their liking, while simultaneously silencing those individuals who CLAIM they want a challenge while in reality they simply want rewards others aren't capable of achieving
  • Azgadil
    226 posts Member
    Options
    The idea has merit.

I think what the OP is saying it would be fun to have a challenge that you could attempt and if you completed it would receive a toe men next to you name in Arena. *chief or something. But no other rewards.

There are two points that I believe could be inferred

1) we want challenging game play even if no rewards are available.

2) many people just like to brag about their abilities or their toons (this is not good / bad / or indifferent - it's just a competitive nature)
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »

Then don't do them.

The arguement against making things hard with big rewards is they increase the gap between the haves and have nots which is not necessarily good for long term game balance.

You honestly don't think I don't understand the argument? Don't get me wrong, I like challenge. I like to play a game where I'm not just smashing fingers. I can go back and play the first Super Mario Brothers and gain unlimited lives making the fear of losing a round moot. At the same time, if there is a challenge then there needs to be some kind of reward.

Not that my motivations are any of your business, but I play the game because I think it's fun and I like progressing and making my roster better.

My favorite part of your retort, by the way, was your line, "Then don't do them." I liked it because that was my argument about people not doing the tougher challenges for better rewards, in not so many words. The fact that this was your first line makes it appear you didn't understand my argument and then you went right into explaining the other side's argument, which I definitely understood.
  • PainSaber
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »

Then don't do them.

You honestly don't think I don't understand the argument? Don't get me wrong, I like challenge. I like to play a game where I'm not just smashing fingers. I can go back and play the first Super Mario Brothers and gain unlimited lives making the fear of losing a round moot. At the same time, if there is a challenge then there needs to be some kind of reward.

Not that my motivations are any of your business, but I play the game because I think it's fun and I like progressing and making my roster better.

My favorite part of your retort, by the way, was your line, "Then don't do them." I liked it because that was my argument about people not doing the tougher challenges for better rewards, in not so many words. The fact that this was your first line makes it appear you didn't understand my argument and then you went right into explaining the other side's argument, which I definitely understood.

Your counter of don't do them is very different from his. For instance, in his argument, if you don't want to do the reward-less challenges I proposed, you lose nothing. It doesn't stunt your progress. Likewise, if a person were to be unwilling or unable to do gw due to the difficulty, that person loses out on training droids, 400k+ credits, etc that are needed desperately in this credit-crunch environment we call swgoh. Big difference between his statement and yours. In this game, EVERY REWARD is extremely important because of the lack of easily available resources
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    ...while in reality they simply want rewards others aren't capable of achieving

That's where I think the challenge should be. When I first started GW in early feb (probably, it's hard to remember) it wasn't exactly easy for me. That fact alone was what brought me to these forums. I didn't know a thing about the retreat button, moving toons around, nothing. With the help of people here I went form maybe clearing it to almost always clearing it right away. Am I upset they nerfed it? Not really. It was a time drain that got super repetitive and tedious.

My point really is, not everyone here is capable of achieving all the same rewards. I didn't have the toons for the empire event so I didn't finish it. No big deal. Others got a lot of extra free stuff and I got nothing. I'm not complaining about it because that's just the way life is. I wasn't prepared and I missed out. I will be next time, though. If they institute a more challenging level for everything then it should be something to strive for not something for the people who can't do it yet to complain about. Everyone will get there eventually. Heroic raids weren't meant for everyone right out of the gate. It's something to strive for and you'll reap the rewards when you get there.

Look what happened with the Yoda event. They buffed it because of the level increase. People complained. They weren't ready for the challenge. The event got nerfed and it's a shadow of what it once was.

Look, I'm not saying there needs to be more challenging tiers that are close to impossible. I actually don't think there should be. But if there is then I think it needs better rewards.
  • 9r33d0
    492 posts Member
    Options
    I'd really like to physically watch players who burst the 38k arena bubble, play the prior gw where you fought a fresh arena meta team almost 8 times in a row. So, I could learn new cuss words, and call a paramedic for their blood pressure.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    9r33d0 wrote: »
    I'd really like to physically watch players who burst the 38k arena bubble, play the prior gw where you fought a fresh arena meta team almost 8 times in a row. So, I could learn new cuss words, and call a paramedic for their blood pressure.

Its not the challenge you claim if the person in question can field 5 "A-teams" worth of bench.
    ANY level 80, 7*, G10, Max ability character mix is adequate to, at the very least, cripple a GW opponent. The challenge is in the rotation of your teams. Resting clutch characters.

Of course its nearly impossible with 5 guys. EA shot themselves in the foot, because now there is no need to improve for GW, you can just auto it with 7 randoms.
  • Options
    In my opinion, events like Yoda which need to be completed *once* should be really, really hard - a big challenge. For example, some of the cantina, light side and dark side missions on stages 7 and 8.

Events which need to be repeated daily should be easier, simply so that you can grind through it every day without wanting to blow yourself up.

Otherwise, make them very hard - but give them a sim button for the daily grind once they've been 3 starred.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    I like the idea of like a trophy count or something. Or they could use a stat from our accounts already like, Arena fights won or something. However, I have yet to find my GW easier haha. Still not any faster either.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    I don't see why people have such an issue with money and time spent in game to be determining factors in how "good" or advanced you are in the game. If I spend more money and more time in the game I should have more stuff than you.
    I really dislike the idea that participation rewards should be the max rewards regardless of time, effort or money spent. And that max effort, time and money spent should not be rewarded so as not to offend those that can't or won't spend the time, effort or money. Just stop.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    i think there is a burnout threshold games try to avoid reaching
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Veritasum wrote: »
    I don't see why people have such an issue with money and time spent in game to be determining factors in how "good" or advanced you are in the game. If I spend more money and more time in the game I should have more stuff than you.
    I really dislike the idea that participation rewards should be the max rewards regardless of time, effort or money spent. And that max effort, time and money spent should not be rewarded so as not to offend those that can't or won't spend the time, effort or money. Just stop.

Yeah, I wouldn't advocate that either, just more of a nod to folks who've been here a while. Not like a trophy rating or something like that. Doesn't need to be about who's better, just if your hair has gone gray here or not haha.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • PainSaber
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    .i have no problem with paying players. I have put enough money into this game to buy a beater car. Im simply sick of people bashing people who have difficulties with various modes in the game. When the game is changed to make it more accessible and inclusive to lower level and ftp people, like the recent gw change, people who had little to no problem with these modes suddenly complain that "the challenge is gone" and thusly slam the rest of the playerbase who asked for and received the change. My idea solves the problem without creating further disparity. If these challenge seeking individuals are truly angered because they lost their challenge, and not because they lost their ADVANTAGE, then my idea makes EVERYONE happy
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    That's a really good point. I've seeen a couple threads critiquing that there needs to be end-game content because they're "already done." To which I say, it's like a book you know, you can read it and enjoy the whole story, still has an end though. If you pay enough, you can skip chapters and your story will be over faster. Thankfully they're still a lot to add to this game.

It would be great to see another end-game challenge that gave out a new bragging currency that didn't give that advantage. Good post!