It time to discuss RG is ruling/ruining the Arena?

Replies

• Options
    Ryzak620 wrote: »
    Kylo is worthless in the game right now.
    Yeah, Kylo is junk... forgot OP was running him.

There is literally only one character in that squad to worry about: QGJ (and since he's not going lead, on defense there's a chance he wont even get a turn). Phasma has a chance to give assists and TM, except the assists and TM go to wet noodles. Ben isn't dodging anything except when he's the only character left. Lumi will heal and give opponent's squad offense up via their QGJ (unless they already got it from Phasma).

If you don't like RG, run OB lead with ST Han. Put Leia, Rey, or GS in for Kylo. And maybe swap out Phasma for another DPS.

• H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    Options
    Take out qgj and I will take out RG. Until then deal with it.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    H_B0MBZ wrote: »

What? It's exactly the other way around...
  • Kurgath
    61 posts Member
    Options
    Rey is way worse in Arena than RG is. She once took my full Armored Daka to around 20% in one shot.
  • Al_Tiz
    58 posts Member
    Options
    Over the past 2 weeks, I have been watching the arena on my server, and RG determines your position in the Arena.

If you don't have RG you will be targeted Heavily. I mean Heavily. I am dropping almost 100-150 spots every night. I am 34K power. I have been watching the teams that beat me and their power is usually 29-31K. I am getting targeted by lesser teams simply because I don't have RG.

I also know that I almost exclusively target teams without RG for several reasons. 1) I never run out of time, and I can always win, no matter the team makeup. I can target a team powered at 36K and have no issue winning, but because I am targeted so hard, I have a very easy path to jump up 5 times beating 30-31K teams beacause I drop so far.

Upon looking. The teams with RG never drop far because nobody targets them. So now with RG now being the anti-target toon it's time to discuss how he needs changed.

Before we get a bunch of "you need to farm RG" posts, I have RG at 5 stars and I could jump him up. That isn't the point. The point is that he is completely controlling the Arena and there is almost no mix of lineups.

Every team is
    Dooku/Old Ben/Phasma
    RG(90%)/STH(10%)
    QGJ
    2 of Rey/GS/Liea

Sure there is a random Droid or Clone team floating around, but the vast majority of the teams have the same build and RG is at the center of not being targeted.

There's almost 100 chars in this game and everyone is running the same 5-7 chars. If RG wasn't so amazing at keeping from being targeted, and making teams not need a healer, there could be more variety.

But having RG as a necessity to be successful in the Arena is putting too much on one char and it needs to change.

This is really perplexing. You admit that you can beat any team line-up that doesn't have RG yet you have a problem with the meta being centralized around RG. We don't need to nerf RG lmao we need more characters like him that don't get decimated by Qui-Gon. Imo B2 was a step in the wrong direction but being that he's p2p and deals little damage keeps him from being an ideal across the board counter to RG.

What CG really has to do is create more Tanks that are viable like RG so there is more diversity in line-ups. The alternative would be having no viable defensive toons and full DPS line-ups where literally no one could hold rank
  • Options
    papnwors wrote: »
    TerraArran wrote: »
    They need to make RG's taunt a one time taunt for each character that goes below 50% HP, it doesn't matter if the character gets healed. It activates only once per character.

Honestly I have never seen this be a problem?
    Does it not work like that? Usually a toon under 50% is dead in one shot anyway and who uses healers these days in arena?

I use healers. Barriss lead, Lumi on her side. Always top 100 Arena, but maybe that's too low for your tastes. I am occasionally top 50, but that might still be too low for you. Don't rule out healers making a meta comeback!!
  • Avelenus
    54 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I run droids. I especially target teams with RG and Rey. I prefer RGs auto taunt because Rey is already dead before it trips. I have two hit her before.. I love HKs crits. :smile:
  • Options
    Aero wrote: »
    50% chance to taunt when an ally drops below 50% health. This chance is increased to 100% if the ally is Empire.

Encourage more synergy! Though I guess this would be more RNG determining things. Either way, Royal Guard is the only thing holding my all empire team afloat.

I could see this if there was also a player controlled taunt. But please, no more rng dependence please
  • Options
    moemoney wrote: »
    If you are dropping 100-150 spots overnight, there are other issues with your squad.

I am running 34K
    Phasma G10
    Old Ben G9
    Kylo G9
    Lumi G9
    QGJ G8

I have experimented extensively over the last 2 weeks. There is no difference in running Phasma or Ben as leader I am getting the same results. I am working on a few other characters to replace in the future, but I can beat just about any team I face, I simply face the non RG teams because they require almost no effort to beat. RG teams mean I have to work to win and sometimes it doesn't matter.

I know someone said they drop 20 spots a night with a RG. Yeah, that is expected. Everyone will still get targeted some.

Lumi, and to some degree kylo, are good on offense, but bad bad bad on defense. I used to run Lumi, traded her out for 5's and don't drop nearly so many spots.
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    They need to make RG's taunt a one time taunt for each character that goes below 50% HP, it doesn't matter if the character gets healed. It activates only once per character.

Does it not work like that? Usually a toon under 50% is dead in one shot anyway and who uses healers these days in arena?

I use healers. Barriss lead, Lumi on her side. Always top 100 Arena, but maybe that's too low for your tastes. I am occasionally top 50, but that might still be too low for you. Don't rule out healers making a meta comeback!!

Top 100 healers may work, but when you start getting top 20/50 they unfortunately become unviable. It's just better to add an extra dps, you can't win much playing defensively and Rey/QGJ/86 will kill a toon before you get a heal off. Protection unfortunately made healers less viable.
  • Options
    The problem is evasion leaders not RG
  • MayCM
    124 posts Member
    Options
    If you are dropping 100-150 spots overnight, there are other issues with your squad.

I am running 34K
    Phasma G10
    Old Ben G9
    Kylo G9
    Lumi G9
    QGJ G8

I have experimented extensively over the last 2 weeks. There is no difference in running Phasma or Ben as leader I am getting the same results. I am working on a few other characters to replace in the future, but I can beat just about any team I face, I simply face the non RG teams because they require almost no effort to beat. RG teams mean I have to work to win and sometimes it doesn't matter.

I know someone said they drop 20 spots a night with a RG. Yeah, that is expected. Everyone will still get targeted some.

Like others said before, I can't imagine an easier target in arena fights. Old Ben is worthless in a non leading position. Same goes for Lumi, at least in your team configuration. Kylo (I got him to G9 too) is not that bad, but not really dangerous.
    So in the end, the only real threat is QGJ and all your synergy relies on phasma's assist attacks while none of your toons have special base attacks.
    Sorry, this is not about RG, but about your team.

• Kabbes
    430 posts Member
    Options
    RG-Rey-QGJ is incredibly easy to beat. It is no better on defence than any other decent team, which is to say it will lose unless it gets really lucky to any half-decent opponent.
  • Options
    I am glad to see less and less off GS I think the guard is fine.
  • Igor08
    221 posts Member
    Options
    Alexone wrote: »

Nope. If you took out RG, QGJ would be even more prevalent than he is now. But if you took out QGJ, you'd see different tanks used.
    As someone else posted above tho, the FunSac era is slowly arriving, and it's gonna make the RG days look like great fun by comparison. One recently arrived on my server, it's absolutely insane. People are gonna be screaming from the rooftops if he ever becomes commonplace.
  • Options
    That time was immediately following the protection update. Hard to call for a nerf on him now though with toons like B2 and Sun Fac. Sun Fac is the most ridiculous toon in the game, so it's pointless calling for a nerf of any other toon while he exists in present form.
  • Options
    I use STH and I finish at least in the top 20 every day, sometimes to 10. I never drop even to 30 in the time from rewards 7PM my time to when I wake up in the morning. If you're dropping 100-150 spots they're other issues.

I never have issues with RG because you can kill people without him even taunting. Just get the health down to a certain point and then hit them with a burst or combo attack. Sometimes someone hangs on with a sliver of health, but I just take them out with Fusillade even if RG does taunt.
  • Options
    I run Phasma lead (gear 10 maxed available slots) with Rey, QGJ, RG, and Ewok Elder (all gear 9 with 1 raid slot left before 10). I'm consistently in top 50 of older server and usually place in the 20s or higher, with a few top 10 and #1 finishes on good days. I was sad to drop my gear 10 fully omega Daka but I need Elder's guaranteed revive plus debuff dispel for Rey.

I don't avoid RG teams and have used the same strategy mentioned above: drop toon to just above 50% and then burst with double hit for final kill to avoid triggering RG's taunt.

Usually, QGJ goes first, sometimes RG. Either way, Elder brings them back and if they can last another round, he'll heal them to green next turn. Having luck with omega heal on QGJ's special assist helps too. The right healers are still quite viable in the Arena. Try harder to bend luck your way...
  • Options
    If you don't have RG, Rey, CD, Daka, in your lineup then forget it. Top 50 all have the same lineup. Boring. When Rey can one hit an untouched 7* lvl 80 gear 9 toon something is seriously wrong. Rey is a beast but when it is the same lineup facing the same, then it all falls to RNG and actual strategy is absent from the battle. Either bring other toons up to speed or nerf the only used toons which is a lame option.
  • Options

I am running 34K
    Phasma G10
    Old Ben G9
    Kylo G9
    Lumi G9
    QGJ G8

I believe your problem is your team composition. Not attacking you here but Old Ben doesn't benefit much from Phasma as lead. Either remove him and replace him with someone else or make old Ben your lead and benefit from the dodge/TM gain + advantage/speed down combo of Phasma. Get rid of Lumi, she's great and I have her at gear ten, but having a healer on your squad is probably the real reason you get targeted, not RGs absence. I would also get rid of Kylo, I love his look and moves, but he just hits too soft and doesn't do much else except proc more often with a Phasma lead. You need a taunter plain and simple unless you have b2. The game has actually made them useful again, hell even chewie is actually viable now, especially his TM remove basic. I feel your pain honestly and I'm usually top 3 on my shard everyday. Don't complain, just beat them, it's not that hard. I don't run a typical team either to stay at that rank (yes I have a combo of some of those toons you mentioned). I run 88 (L) gear 10 omega on leader, Phasma gear 10 omega on Victory March, St Han GEAR 9 omega on taunt, Poggle gear 10 and Rey gear 10 omega on baisic and leverage. Just today I fell from 1st yesterday to 22 and climbed back to 3 for payout. Yiu can do it dude, just stick to your gun and do stuff your way and you'll be surprised what you can do once you put some thought into it.
  • Options
    GruyloRen wrote: »
    I don't get why people think he's that great. Yes, the auto-taunt is nice, but it's not really that big a deal.

3) A Poggle-buffed GS or IG-88 will kill RG in a couple of shots, as will Rey's special, or the high-damage attacks of other characters.

This is 100% incorrect. It's taking 3 to 4 team turns to eliminate RG with a Droid team due to stun and dodge factor.
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Options
    @BradGoodyear time to step up your game.

First there is many reason you drop your rank. Does you know you can refresh to have 5 more attack for 50crystals? I hope you know that. I see a lot of ppl didnt do that even they have good team.
    Secondly i think your team is just not good enough? who still use Lum? Kylo?

I use Dooku , Five , GS , Daka, QGJ... everyone have X Gear. I still in top 20. During the day i might get down to 30ish but then 1-2hour before the payout i can redeem myself and get to top 10. If lucky i can get top5 spot.

FYI: top 30 in my Shards have RG+QGJ+Rey.

• Options
    Over the past 2 weeks, I have been watching the arena on my server, and RG determines your position in the Arena.

If you don't have RG you will be targeted Heavily. I mean Heavily. I am dropping almost 100-150 spots every night. I am 34K power. I have been watching the teams that beat me and their power is usually 29-31K. I am getting targeted by lesser teams simply because I don't have RG.

I also know that I almost exclusively target teams without RG for several reasons. 1) I never run out of time, and I can always win, no matter the team makeup. I can target a team powered at 36K and have no issue winning, but because I am targeted so hard, I have a very easy path to jump up 5 times beating 30-31K teams beacause I drop so far.

Upon looking. The teams with RG never drop far because nobody targets them. So now with RG now being the anti-target toon it's time to discuss how he needs changed.

Before we get a bunch of "you need to farm RG" posts, I have RG at 5 stars and I could jump him up. That isn't the point. The point is that he is completely controlling the Arena and there is almost no mix of lineups.

Every team is
    Dooku/Old Ben/Phasma
    RG(90%)/STH(10%)
    QGJ
    2 of Rey/GS/Liea

Sure there is a random Droid or Clone team floating around, but the vast majority of the teams have the same build and RG is at the center of not being targeted.

There's almost 100 chars in this game and everyone is running the same 5-7 chars. If RG wasn't so amazing at keeping from being targeted, and making teams not need a healer, there could be more variety.

But having RG as a necessity to be successful in the Arena is putting too much on one char and it needs to change.

Ok @BradGoodyear ... I run Phasma lead, QG, 86, GS, and Yoda and have for quite some time. I get knocked back 50-60 maximum if I wait all day (on a bad day) but usually only 20ish. RG doesn't rule arena and he is extremely easy to counter. Is he a good character? Very much so, yes. Does he "rule arena"? No.

The reason arena lacks variation is because people follow the top. If you see the top people wit hX team then most people will try to mimic it in hopes to improve their odds. Then there are those of us that learn their weaknesses and mop the floor with them most times. Every team has a F2P counter, you just have to learn how to play it.
  • Igor08
    221 posts Member
    Options
    chuckwing wrote: »
    Sun Fac is the most ridiculous toon in the game, so it's pointless calling for a nerf of any other toon while he exists in present form.

Have to admit I previously didn't see what the fuss was about as I'd never encountered one. But now that I have, holy ****. I unloaded on him with maxed FOTP and maxed Leia and didn't even scratch him. He's the ultimate pay2win toon and a big sloppy kiss from the devs to the whales.
  • Options
    Igor08 wrote: »
    chuckwing wrote: »
    Sun Fac is the most ridiculous toon in the game, so it's pointless calling for a nerf of any other toon while he exists in present form.

Have to admit I previously didn't see what the fuss was about as I'd never encountered one. But now that I have, holy ****. I unloaded on him with maxed FOTP and maxed Leia and didn't even scratch him. He's the ultimate pay2win toon and a big sloppy kiss from the devs to the whales.

And another that I don't understand. Sun Fac has never given me pause. Either I've never seen him used properly or you are running teams that he counters...
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Welcome to rg era.

After awhile rg isn't enough.

Then u will be in your servers rg + rey or ben + han + rey era.

Or maybe your server is young enough for leia to replace some of those reys, plus to have some of the ackbar lead leia teams.
  • Azgadil
    226 posts Member
    Options

Lol.

So true I had to laugh.

Bay life. Rank 600 newbs. Lol.
  • 9r33d0
    492 posts Member
    Options
    Igor08 wrote: »
    Alexone wrote: »

Nope. If you took out RG, QGJ would be even more prevalent than he is now. But if you took out QGJ, you'd see different tanks used.
    As someone else posted above tho, the FunSac era is slowly arriving, and it's gonna make the RG days look like great fun by comparison. One recently arrived on my server, it's absolutely insane. People are gonna be screaming from the rooftops if he ever becomes commonplace.

Um, no. Sun fac, is galatial. And far from "insane". I melt the 1, on my shards, face every day. It's maxed.
  • Igor08
    221 posts Member
    Options
    9r33d0 wrote: »
    Um, no. Sun fac, is galatial. And far from "insane". I melt the 1, on my shards, face every day. It's maxed.

Nope sorry, can't believe you just "melt" through 30k protection and 25k hp, plus his 299 armour, which is top 5 in the game. Especially not if he's paired with RG.
  • Options

Rey has that 10% life steal. I have had her heal full just from a few big hits and an QGJ assist.
    Subscribe to my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UClZS5GiOkbKp-meIU6vFxow?sub_confirmation=1

https://swgoh.gg/u/tenchi7/