Please Explain Daily Challenge Cool-Down

So I’ve been playing this game since early December and I still cannot rationalize the Daily Challenge cool-down. Before guilds, it was a mild inconvenience, and frankly gave me content later in the day because I didn’t plow though them in 15 minutes. On Sundays, it actually didn’t bother me, because by the time I worked my way across the challenges, I was only about a minute or two from having the line of them reset in sequential order. Unfortunately, that all changed when Guilds were launched.
My reset time on Thursday is 8:30pm in Texas, I leave for work on Friday morning at 4:45am. So, every Thursday evening since the launch of Guilds (which I otherwise enjoy), I sit irritated that I now have to extend my bedtime by 15-20 minutes to grind out these daily challenges, sitting idly between their reset time stewing for 8 minutes of more, wishing I could just gem- them-out like the nearly as awful PvP guild challenge.
Daily Challenge Cool-down can’t relate to:
• EA cash generation, as there is no gemming option
• Player exploit, because speed of completion shouldn’t award better or more gear
The only thing I can figure is that this is geared at dragging out the content, so people have a reason to log in later in the day, but this principle is now completely conflicted as a result of guild challenges.
Can anyone please explain this to me?

Replies

• Options
    They want you to login in more often throughout the day.
  • Options
    I agree, it's a grind...
  • Options
    Agreed, no reason for cool downs on challenges.
  • Options
    Doggirl211 wrote: »
    Agreed, no reason for cool downs on challenges.

• Options
    Vavasour wrote: »
    So I’ve been playing this game since early December and I still cannot rationalize the Daily Challenge cool-down.

Also don't understand why Arena has to have a MAX time limit, its not like they have to wait for the teams to resolve the previous battle... I would understand if they were LIVE competitions but they are not.
  • Options
    The idea originally was probably to get you to log in more, the more you log in, the more chances you will spend money. It's not working. And with the energy bumps through the day they already have people logging in. Should be removed.

In addition, the energy bonuses, should be cantina or regular, you chose, same rate as normal, cantina is 1/2 of normal. I have little use for energy.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    So I’ve been playing this game since early December and I still cannot rationalize the Daily Challenge cool-down.

Also don't understand why Arena has to have a MAX time limit, its not like they have to wait for the teams to resolve the previous battle... I would understand if they were LIVE competitions but they are not.

Ummm....so you can't stall to lock out..any longer than 5 minutes, anyway.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • OzwaldEMandius
    1032 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »

Ummm....so you can't stall to lock out..any longer than 5 minutes, anyway.

Post edited by WillowStar on
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wish these times between challenges was removed, as I recall there have already been a few posts asking the same.
    It seems pointless and it's really annoying.
  • Options
    Just let me SIM the challenges. I've got 3,000 SIM tickets sitting around. Let me use them on something.
  • Vavasour
    102 posts Member
    Options
    papnwors wrote: »
    Wish these times between challenges was removed, as I recall there have already been a few posts asking the same.

So has there been radio silence on this as far as official responses then?

• Vavasour
    102 posts Member
    Options
    ...for the record, still infuriating.
  • scuba
    14064 posts Member
    Options
    ...for the record, still infuriating.

This is the only reason. To infuriate the player base.

This is the only timer in the game that makes 0 sense other than to annoy.
  • Options
    I agree that these timers are completely pointless and only there to frustrate players. However, since they're probably not going to change it (unless they decide to charge 500 crystals each time to remove the timer), what I do to not have any downtime is Challenge #1, Challenge #2, Arena battle, 2 GW battles, then rinse and repeat. You can skip the arena battle and do more GW battles if you want all 5 attempts to use before payout (I'm usually busy during my payout, so I do 3 arena battles to finish the daily, then do the last 2 before payout).
  • Hambone
    79 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The entire game is predicated on a frustration-based economy. Tweak your frustration in the hope you'll spend money.

That's it. Not a bug, a feature.

Usually, they have a direct pay-gate at the frustrating event (exhaust a node, why wait? Just pay up right here, look, we'll even make it easy for you). But with "challenges" they've tried something slightly different -- while you wait, go spend on a different frustration micro-gate. Or go away, cool off, and come back later for another dose of frustration.

Every single time you find yourself frustrated, it's working exactly as intended.

(Maybe a little more to illustrate the effect. What are you more likely to be when you're frustrated? That's right: frustrated. Whether it's pointed at direct cause and effect with a specific pay-gate, or atmospheric to jack up frustration in general so that you're more likely to act on one of the dozens of traps scattered throughout -- it's all fundamental to the core of the game's cash-extraction mechanism. And it's not about "you." It's about percentages. If upping the atmospheric frustration level can make just 2% of the player base more likely to spend, that's cash in the bank. If it forces folks to log in multiple times during the day, perhaps at times when they're inconvenienced and rushed and therefore more likely to make impulse decisions: cash in the bank. Yes, you -- and by you I mean we -- are being played. But don't let it be a mystery.)
  • Igor08
    221 posts Member
    Options
    Timers mean more logins, and most importantly, more time spent idle when you might buy something out of boredom.
  • Options
    It actually disadvantages me within my guild. I only have 30 minutes between guild reset and my daily reset meaning I can only do 6 rather than 8 during that time.
  • Xenith
    267 posts Member
    Options
    It actually disadvantages me within my guild. I only have 30 minutes between guild reset and my daily reset meaning I can only do 6 rather than 8 during that time.

I actually have like 2 hours between mine but! Since its at 1 am i prefer doing other stuff rather then easte around "50" minutes lolz challenges takes like 1 hour ...
  • vilvlugt
    76 posts Member
    Options
    papnwors wrote: »

+1
  • Vavasour
    102 posts Member
    Options

That sucks.
  • Vavasour
    102 posts Member
    Options
    Hambone wrote: »
    The entire game is predicated on a frustration-based economy. Tweak your frustration in the hope you'll spend money.

That's it. Not a bug, a feature.

Usually, they have a direct pay-gate at the frustrating event (exhaust a node, why wait? Just pay up right here, look, we'll even make it easy for you). But with "challenges" they've tried something slightly different -- while you wait, go spend on a different frustration micro-gate. Or go away, cool off, and come back later for another dose of frustration.

Every single time you find yourself frustrated, it's working exactly as intended.

(Maybe a little more to illustrate the effect. What are you more likely to be when you're frustrated? That's right: frustrated. Whether it's pointed at direct cause and effect with a specific pay-gate, or atmospheric to jack up frustration in general so that you're more likely to act on one of the dozens of traps scattered throughout -- it's all fundamental to the core of the game's cash-extraction mechanism. And it's not about "you." It's about percentages. If upping the atmospheric frustration level can make just 2% of the player base more likely to spend, that's cash in the bank. If it forces folks to log in multiple times during the day, perhaps at times when they're inconvenienced and rushed and therefore more likely to make impulse decisions: cash in the bank. Yes, you -- and by you I mean we -- are being played. But don't let it be a mystery.)

So I don't dispute anything you wrote. I think you are right.

However, if this is the case, then that's just sloppy game design after recent updates. This might of worked with the old game mechanics, but with random timers all over the game now, and points like Richisential's above, this doesn't make sense anymore.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    It's a total waste of time, removing the 10 minute wait would garner some goodwill from players.