Dengar - The Most Powerful Raid Character in the Game Post-Mods

Prev1
Thundyrcats
172 posts Member
edited July 2016
There has been very valid complaints about the dramatic decrease to potency in characters that are fixtures of our raid team - Teebo, 5s, Rex, QGJ.

There is a great work around that does not require you to farm useless Empire toons...who really needs a G10 Snowtrooper, anyway.

Dengar with potency mods, even 1-2 dot, paired with Captain Phasma guarantees with 85% efficiency tenacity down on both the Captain and the Rancor. This means that regardless of the potency of your speed down and TM reduction characters, you will achieve their negative status effect 85% of the time. You can easy solo P1, and with reasonable RNG progress even to P4 with a Dengar team.

Just by adding Dengar to your team, you can bypass the terrible potency mod grind and focus on mods that are actually useful in the arena and GW.

Replies

• Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    Plus he will add assists to those characters on his basic since rancor will always be debuffed good spot!
  • Thundyrcats
    172 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The team that we ran tonight was Teebo (L), Dengar, Rex, Phasma, and QGJ. Rex had 19.8% potency, Teebo had 25% potency. And I got to 0.25% of P2 with some bad RNG.

The other guy running it got to phase 4

• ZurinFet
    261 posts Member
    Options
    Very good info, thanks a lot !
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Options
    The team that we ran tonight was Teebo (L), Dengar, Rex, Phasma, and QGJ. Rex had 19.8% potency, Teebo had 25% potency. And I got to 0.25% of P2 with some bad RNG.

The other guy running it got to phase 4
    In heroic? Doesn't seem like 25% teebo would do much....
  • Options
    Phasma for the speed down or victory march to ensure the crit?
  • Thundyrcats
    172 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Because Tenacity down reduces the boss to 0 tenacity, potency does not matter. There is a base 15% chance to resist that cannot be further decreased by additional potency.
  • Options
    How many Stars does your dengar has?
  • Options
    A character has to have 7 stars to participate in a T7 raid. So unfortunately the grind went to 7 stars.
  • Options
    Malia can you give me the link to your Dengar review? Is it on lordskunk.com?0
  • Options
    Phasma for the speed down or victory march to ensure the crit?

With Dengar its the crit. But you need speed down too.
  • Options
    can't Dengar apply speed down as well? If so there's really no need for Phasma.
  • Options
    Great advice! How do I get him?
  • Options
    kanersen wrote: »
    can't Dengar apply speed down as well? If so there's really no need for Phasma.
    Yes and his blast and smash he has a 50% vs phasma's 85%
    BAMFer wrote: »
    Great advice! How do I get him?
    Guild store

My take away:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iyC-Rb2SAcY
  • Options
    There has been very valid complaints about the dramatic decrease to potency in characters that are fixtures of our raid team - Teebo, 5s, Rex, QGJ.

There is a great work around that does not require you to farm useless Empire toons...who really needs a G10 Snowtrooper, anyway.

Dengar with potency mods, even 1-2 dot, paired with Captain Phasma guarantees with 85% efficiency tenacity down on both the Captain and the Rancor. This means that regardless of the potency of your speed down and TM reduction characters, you will achieve their negative status effect 85% of the time. You can easy solo P1, and with reasonable RNG progress even to P4 with a Dengar team.

Just by adding Dengar to your team, you can bypass the terrible potency mod grind and focus on mods that are actually useful in the arena and GW.

Wait, wait, wait... Everyone needs a Snowtrooper ! /sarcasm

I am running a Full Empire team on Galactic War back to back, no retreats, since the release of Palpatine. I don't recommend you farming them if you don't like them, for sure, but I'm very happy with the team synergy and the investment since I play with them daily. With Snowtrooper guaranteed TM boost between matches, GW battles, no meter how strong the opponent team is, are all easy, I mean, all twelve.

Now, back to Dengar, I 100% agree: he makes raids easier (albeit outrageously longer if you want to full solo).
    My favorite characters Empire - Sith
  • Options
    Don't expect Dengar to be much help on T6 or T7 raids. You still need supper high potency on Dengar to get the speed down or tenacity down to apply. Even if you get tenacity down to stick (not very likely) you still can be resisted on other TM reductions (actually quite a lot in my experience. ) If speed down doesn't stick the cool down is too long to wait for, constantly retreating to get better RNG is about the only way to make it work.
  • Options
    Dengar has been a bit of a disappointment for me as well. At G9, with Phasma for guaranteed crit I really don't see much difference between when Rancor has tenacity down and when he doesn't. I get TMR with Teebo and QGJ about as often as without tenacity down, which is very rarely lol.
  • Options
    This is all disappointing to hear, I've been slowly gearing and starring up Dengar hoping he'd get on my A raid team... Is there something that changed in an update?
  • Options
    You need no potency on Dengar - his tenacity down does not use the potency/tenacity roll.

Dengar can apply speed down with his special but you are better off getting the speed down from phasma and using his basic for the additional TM manipulation of his assist chance.

We regularly have people who do 5-10 million damage with a Dengar team. You can absolutely do the same damage with a high potency team including 5s but it takes a significantly longer amount of time. If you are having issues posting damage, feel free to join the TeamSkunk.com discord and PM Maliabean for tips.
  • Options
    Thundy would you mod him with Crit Chance Up then to better apply the tenacity down? That's where I was thinking of going....
  • Thundyrcats
    172 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @V1p3rdyn4sty #TSalpha4Life Free Brady

A little dated but still is mostly accurate.

lordskunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Dengar-1.pdf
  • Options
    @jtruts Unfortunately, after mods were nerfed, you cannot reach 100% crit chance which you absolutely need to guarantee the crit and tenacity down debuff. Phasma's advantage gives you that 100% crit chance and that is why she is required.

I would mod him for speed because more attacks means more chances for assists and more TM manipulation. It also makes the phase transitions easier to assure that he has a chance to attack after victory march.
  • jtruts
    65 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Gotcha, read your PDF, good stuff - I suppose you only need that initial 100% crit chance to fire his tenacity down, then if TM reduction goes well victory march will be off cooldown for the next time it's needed. I like it. I don't have Rex, maybe CWC for additional (albeit weak chance) TM reduction or a high damage dealer/assist like GS or Crit Chance buff like Leia would work. In the PDF it said to mod dengar with mk1-2 potency - but I agree I think speed probably better... Thanks.
  • Options
    I know that some people have used EE instead of Rex with mixed results. I would definitely try a very fast EE before any other 5th if you don't have Rex.
  • Options
    I have a decent EE mainly for death mark washing - but what else does EE bring to the table other than that? His damage seems low.
  • rawman
    685 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just had my first 2 heroic raids with dengar and I was kinda disappointed. Captain and Rancor resisted quite often, but could also be RNG against me. 2 Raids is no samplesize fore sure.

Did close to 2M and 2.3M with that setup: Teebo(L), Elder, Phasma, QGJ, Dengar

Any hints what I'm doing wrong? What mods are best here?

Before I had GS in the team instead of Dengar and could solo P1 very easily with ~5 turns to enrage. Now with Dengar I got into enrage both times.
  • Options
    jtruts wrote: »
    I have a decent EE mainly for death mark washing - but what else does EE bring to the table other than that? His damage seems low.

His basic provdes TM to Teebo/Scout (25%) and others (10%) when Omega'd. He also revives if Rancor doesn't eat anyone and just kills them (particularly helpful in P4).
  • Options
    @SlyGambit thanks, makes sense - I'm still 79 so don't have any abilities omega'd yet. :)
  • Options
    You need no potency on Dengar - his tenacity down does not use the potency/tenacity roll.

Dengar can apply speed down with his special but you are better off getting the speed down from phasma and using his basic for the additional TM manipulation of his assist chance.

We regularly have people who do 5-10 million damage with a Dengar team. You can absolutely do the same damage with a high potency team including 5s but it takes a significantly longer amount of time. If you are having issues posting damage, feel free to join the TeamSkunk.com discord and PM Maliabean for tips.

He is right, Dengar just needs a crit, he does NOT use potency to apply tenacity down. Once tenacity down is applied, everyone's abilities work without any problems, on T6 and T7. My raid team is Teebo, QGJ, Tuscan raider, Dengar and Phasma (Phasma gives dengar advantage who gaurentees to apply tenacity down).
  • Options
    He's lame!
  • Options
    He is no sauce ventress, thats for sure.