Why are we loosing P2P players?

Prev13
SamoBudo
223 posts Member
edited July 2016
I think it is human nature to feel valued and have a perception of value.

The Mod debacle has highlighted that a majority of us feel betrayed both those who put in early and purchased of crystals and credits for naught and the later who want to catchup but can't due to the rubbish drop rates. Basically both the past and the future all have been burned.

This has lead to (because of the shock loss of value) for players to evaluate their collections and realize that the hours which they have invested in this game was not of value at all.

I won't outline precrafting et al because that is not the crux of my observation. It is the betrayal of the community which now has caused many P2P players to F2P. (Not to mention those who have quit outright)

How can you get these players back? Will freebies do it ? IMHO No it will not. The only way forward now is to prove to the players/payers that the original game that we installed and its quality is in the future development. Communication is the key here.

Will this affect the new incoming players ? Probably not and I hope for the sake of the game you don't get any who remember and understand what happened to us in the last couple weeks. I am classed prior to the mod nerf as kraken and I will be going F2P as my new challenge.

Replies

• Options
    You have lost P2P players like myself because we are happy to spend money on a game but we refuse to spend money and have it devalued based on the ranting of F2P players who didn't like a change and the weak developers who caved to the reaction in two days.

So funny thing happens when you have money to spend on a game. You move on quickly. The F2P players wanted to yell and scream. If EA would have just waited it out like supercell it would have passed. Now they have a game that is owned by the F2P and so paying players can't stay.
  • Options
    ChrisZovy wrote: »
    You have lost P2P players like myself because we are happy to spend money on a game but we refuse to spend money and have it devalued based on the ranting of F2P players who didn't like a change and the weak developers who caved to the reaction in two days.

So funny thing happens when you have money to spend on a game. You move on quickly. The F2P players wanted to yell and scream. If EA would have just waited it out like supercell it would have passed. Now they have a game that is owned by the F2P and so paying players can't stay.

lmao, the epitome of P2W mentality. Why even bother "playing"...
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options

Wait, what? As p2p you didn't feel like all the money you spent on gear was totally wasted since it all become obsolete overnight? Many people spent thousands on gear and hundreds of hours just to wake up and find that overnight that investment in the game was for nothing.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options

lmao, the epitome of P2W mentality. Why even bother "playing"...

Exactly. I have quit games that I payed to win before cause it's so boring without decent competion and wins are meaningless when you only get them cause of your pocketbook.
  • Pierce
    38 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't know that the devs are incompetent. The decisions are not being based on what is best for the status of the game but what will bring in the most revenue. EA is, and has always been, a micro-transaction company. Be it mobile apps, pc or console games. Their priority is milking their customers for everything they are worth. Looking at the update through that prism, the update was probably working exactly as intended. However, I don't believe they anticipated the backlash from the community. The EA business model is to push their customers to the breaking point and SLOWLY creep back before they throw up their hands and say, "forget it" The only mistake they made, in their eyes, was pushing too far too fast.

• Options
    We're losing all types of players but especially big spenders because what is the point of them spending thousands on this game?? They'd have to be tripping to do something that silly.

EA/CG need to get to work.....yesterday and fix this properly, spare no expense, unlimited overtime, working weekends and nights, that's how hard this issue should be focused, nothing less, no days off, no vacation time, 30 minute lunches, whatever resources needed, hire more people, whatever is needed to repair the damaged reputations EA and CG have. News flash boys, most people I speak to will never buy another game from EA or CG ever, including myself!!!!!!!
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    We're losing all types of players but especially big spenders because what is the point of them spending thousands on this game?? They'd have to be tripping to do something that silly.

EA/CG need to get to work.....yesterday and fix this properly, spare no expense, unlimited overtime, working weekends and nights, that's how hard this issue should be focused, nothing less, no days off, no vacation time, 30 minute lunches, whatever resources needed, hire more people, whatever is needed to repair the damaged reputations EA and CG have. News flash boys, most people I speak to will never buy another game from EA or CG ever, including myself!!!!!!!

Don't count on it. EA/CG do not care. They made their cash grab, probably enough to earn bonuses because of people who have too much money and not enough morals. Get used to it, you're just someone to be fleeced.
  • Options
    Personally I wouldnt care if I was EA. I think forum members only make up 1-2% of the playerbase.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldnt care if I was EA. I think forum members only make up 1-2% of the playerbase.

Doesn't that 1-2% represent the larger whole? Or do people really only show up when they're peeved? I came looking for tips, only later realized it was a good place to vent about ineptitudes and cash grabs and whatever.
  • Options
    ZarLatho wrote: »

Doesn't that 1-2% represent the larger whole? Or do people really only show up when they're peeved? I came looking for tips, only later realized it was a good place to vent about ineptitudes and cash grabs and whatever.

Since I'm here all the time I believe most people just come here to complain. Barley ever does someone come here and say something positive. So that's why it seems like the forum is always negative. Its pretty much this, how many people call customer service and say how well they like the product? Pretty much no one. That's why everyone was here conplaining about the 1st gen mods and when they fixed them they all disapeared.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options

Huh? It wasn't the f2p players complaining ONLY. Nobody remembers Ti posting about mods and effectively shutting their spending down?
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating here (partially abridged):

It took me 1.3 millionish credits to level 6 mods for ONE toon to get them all from level 1 to level 15 and now it costs triple the amount.

It already costs 4.6 million credits plus training droids to level a toon from 1-80. That doesn't even account for the stars. Stars from level level 4 to level 7 are 1.75 million. Now account for gear crafting costs and purple mat costs. I don't have those figures as they vary per toon. Now stick 3 million on top of that for mods. We're looking at minimum 10 MILLION CREDITS to max a toon. IF you can complete GW, GW now awards:

511k total for completion
    435,300 total for completing node 11
    363,900 total for completing node 10

So, basically, it would take you 20+ days to max a toon depending on various factors. Also, count the cost of equipping mods and removing them for maximum results.

They put that carrot WAY out in front of the horse and killed it.

To elaborate more, it was too much, too soon, paying players saw it for what it was and said forget it. It totally disrupted the flow of the game, paying payers came to a screeching halt and said ENOUGH. Just a week ago, everything we purchased (scanners from shipments, anyone?) was nerfed to the ground from 40% potency to 10% potency (and yes, I understand the number rework). Stars didn't matter, gear didn't matter and Level didn't matter. It was a hard reset with barely a warning other than a teaser picture. Also, mods for those 48 hours COMPLETELY broke raids, Arena to a point and every other facet of the game. There's still gear that doesn't appear (the blank gears past X or XI). THAT would have been a natural progression of the game. This was precraft 2.0 on a grander scale.

I'll bet players are wishing now that the level cap was raised to 90 instead of mods being introduced. Money still would have been spent but a lot of people threatened to quit over that too if it came too soon.
  • Options
    Didn't like the initial mods update, OK with the present one. But, still going F2P from a very high spending P2P (have almost all the exclusive toons). I was one of those guys always working on some extra toons, didn't hoard anything. Spent every credit, energy and crystals building a diverse roster. Trying to be prepared for a meta change, a new direction, new raids. As much as I can be. Credit crunch was always there so I managed upgrades, spent crystals only for new toons/ parts and energy refreshes (credit packs are too much of a hustle, couldn't bring myself to purchase them).

Now, I see there is no way I can play as I used to, not without becoming a whale. I just cannot work on diversity as a P2P. I'll have to concentrate on modding up my Arena team, at least 10 toons for GW,then start on levelling and upgrading all the toons I have so that I can complete the mod challenges. It cannot be done, not with my aversion to the outright cash grab the credit packs are. Everything needs credits and there's none on sight.

As F2P, I can and will take things slowly. And I won't be mad once EA opens up more avenues for spending credits while squeezing whatever sources you already had. I will no longer worry that EA doesn't understand how I can justify spending cash on Rex or Rey or any of the Star Wars toons but I really am going to hate being forced to spend on generic virtual currency. All of us know this, the credit crunch is going to get worse. All hail the Galaxy of Credits. Buy as much as you can cos you sure can't earn them. Unless you're a F2P and are willing to grind and manage. So... I'll manage.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Didn't like the initial mods update, OK with the present one. But, still going F2P from a very high spending P2P

We are in the same boat my friend. Same boat. It's been hard to not spend, but with the volatile nature of the game lately, I'm in a holding pattern. No vaults for me. I didn't even re-up my crystal sub for this month.
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating here (partially abridged):

It took me 1.3 millionish credits to level 6 mods for ONE toon to get them all from level 1 to level 15 and now it costs triple the amount.

It already costs 4.6 million credits plus training droids to level a toon from 1-80. That doesn't even account for the stars. Stars from level level 4 to level 7 are 1.75 million. Now account for gear crafting costs and purple mat costs. I don't have those figures as they vary per toon. Now stick 3 million on top of that for mods. We're looking at minimum 10 MILLION CREDITS to max a toon. IF you can complete GW, GW now awards:

511k total for completion
    435,300 total for completing node 11
    363,900 total for completing node 10

So, basically, it would take you 20+ days to max a toon depending on various factors. Also, count the cost of equipping mods and removing them for maximum results.

They put that carrot WAY out in front of the horse and killed it.

To elaborate more, it was too much, too soon, paying players saw it for what it was and said forget it. It totally disrupted the flow of the game, paying payers came to a screeching halt and said ENOUGH. Just a week ago, everything we purchased (scanners from shipments, anyone?) was nerfed to the ground from 40% potency to 10% potency (and yes, I understand the number rework). Stars didn't matter, gear didn't matter and Level didn't matter. It was a hard reset with barely a warning other than a teaser picture. Also, mods for those 48 hours COMPLETELY broke raids, Arena to a point and every other facet of the game. There's still gear that doesn't appear (the blank gears past X or XI). THAT would have been a natural progression of the game. This was precraft 2.0 on a grander scale.

I'll bet players are wishing now that the level cap was raised to 90 instead of mods being introduced. Money still would have been spent but a lot of people threatened to quit over that too if it came too soon.

This is exactly it for me. The amount of credits needed were pushed too far past anything realistic that it was a no brainer for me to throw in the towel on any hope of the game regaining any sort of playibility for me.

Edit: Plus all that other stuff.
  • ZurinFet
    261 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Because they spend an X amount of money to be on top. And now they have to spend more to do the same.

Problem is, it will always be like that on mobile games, P2P needs to spend money from time to time.
  • Options
    @ItsJarJarBinkz Usually the 1_2% can be extrapolated out.

But I agree it's not a perfect barometer.
  • Options
    ZurinFet wrote: »
    Because they spend an X amount of money to be on top. And now they have to spend more to do the same.

Problem is, it will always be like that on mobile games, P2P needs to spend money from time to time.

Especially when you reach your 50s..
    Allegedly...
  • Options
    I lucked out. My crystal sub ended just before the GW changes happened. Because they were announced I was able to wait until I saw those changes to decide whether I wanted to re-sub. The changes came, and when I saw how easy GW had become I knew it wouldn't last. So I waited for the other shoe to drop, and instead it was a wrecking ball. I would typically get my monthly sub and then at least once a month add another $20-$40 crystal pack purchase. So between $30-$50 a month on average. I'm no whale and I really liked the idea of this game. After the latest GW update, I never renewed. I won't be spending any more money on this game. The writing is on the wall and the devs have been pushed into sacrificing gameplay/features for cash grabs and fleecing by their bosses. Pretty sad really, but a typical EA move.

I hope Lucasarts is taking notes. With this game and Battlefront EA is showing their true colors and motivations for this franchise. They care for nothing but how much they can get quickly and then move to some new SW game/idea for milking more customer cash. They don't care for the fun factor or longevity of the game unless they are going to go in the red on it. Pretty sure this game has met it's quota in their books. It will continue to evolve into cash grabs and grindfests until they shut the servers down.

A lot of the community has seen this and word has traveled quickly on the internet as it usually does. It was a fun and original game sad to see it go this route.
  • Options
    Went f2p after the mod debacle. It's been hard not spending like I used too but it's getting easier every day.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    The devs want the game to stay, Salera confirmed they will put a premium pack for Rogue One. So at least November for that, why spend when you can farm slowly but surely?
  • Options

I love ignorant posts like this. I've been trying to keep up with the forums ever since the update, and even though I know it must make you feel better to blame this on all of the f2p players I have some interesting news for you.

It wasn't just f2p players complaining. In fact, if you actually read many of the threads/posts, you will see that quite a few p2p players were upset as well. If blaming the entire thing on f2p players helps you sleep well at night, then go ahead I guess. Must be bliss, y'know, being ignorant..... ;)
  • Tuscan21
    514 posts Member
    Options
    djvita wrote: »
    The devs want the game to stay, Salera confirmed they will put a premium pack for Rogue One. So at least November for that, why spend when you can farm slowly but surely?

New must have rogue characters will completely kill off the game.

They need to give something BIG back to us before they can expect any cash injection. Even if you come to the game late you'll read the reviews and think F that.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    Tuscan21 wrote: »

They need to give something BIG back to us before they can expect any cash injection. Even if you come to the game late you'll read the reviews and think F that.

hqdefault.jpg

Whales will still spend and keep the game afloat despite dev's bad decisions. You are wrong.
  • Tuscan21
    514 posts Member
    Options
    Toukai wrote: »
    Tuscan21 wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

Whales will still spend and keep the game afloat despite dev's bad decisions. You are wrong.

I've stopped spending. Many big spenders have stopped spending. It's all over the forums. Many have stopped playing.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Profits haven't seemed to be slowing. Remember that the forum community is only a small percent of the player base. A few good-bye's from known water mammals doesn't necessarily mean we have a huge exodus. I'm not worried about the longevity of the game. And hey, if a whale want's to get me one position higher in Arena be leaving an open seat, I will selfishly take that. :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    @Tuscan21
    see
    Profits haven't seemed to be slowing. Remember that the forum community is only a small percent of the player base. A few good-bye's from known water mammals doesn't necessarily mean we have a huge exodus. I'm not worried about the longevity of the game. And hey, if a whale want's to get me one position higher in Arena be leaving an open seat, I will selfishly take that. :)
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/68737/star-warstm-galaxy-of-heroes/

That says otherwise. They were up over 100k a week ago, 80 something after mods and now this.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options

That says otherwise. They were up over 100k a week ago, 80 something after mods and now this.

@pac0naut
    That's still over 1.8 million a month. So, yea...
    People seem to like being:
    MV5BMTU1MjEzNjgyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU3NjIyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Toukai wrote: »

@pac0naut
    That's still over 1.8 million a month. So, yea...
    People seem to like being:
    MV5BMTU1MjEzNjgyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU3NjIyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a bad mother..... HUSH YO MOUF!
This discussion has been closed.