Am I doing something wrong?

I'm always hearing of people who are really short on credits, usually under a million. Yet here I am at level 77 and with over 25 million credits. Am I missing out on something, or am I just raking in the dough?

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    well, i guess it all depends on your roster. Having alot of credits AND a good roster would mean you're doing nothing wrong, you would be doing the impossible actually ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Post your roster and I'll tell you.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Leveling a toon from 77 to 80 costs you ~800K credits and mods are crazy credit eater as well...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Are you happy with your arena placement, raid ability, access to mod challenges, access and ability to complete random events, and ability to complete GW?

If yes to all of these and you not spending a lot of money....then no you are doing everything right.

If yes and you are spending a lot of money...then you are doing one thing wrong, you should be giving me your money. :smile:

But if your happy with where you are and you have a little extra money then no, why measure yourself against others. Play and be happy!
  • Options
    For a while, I was in your boat (though, more like 10mil credits). I didn't care at all about my arena rank, and just upgraded my GW A-C teams together, keeping everyone similarly leveled. When 70 was the cap, nearly all of my characters were level 65 and that's where I kept them. I'm not sure if that strategy is similar to you or not, but it yielded me a similar result. I was in a decent arena spot every day, didn't care about maxing out a bunch of characters that I wouldn't use, and it was a simple/enjoyable time. I could level at my own pace and, if I decided to take on a side project (full FO Squad or full Rebel Squad), I had credits available whenever I needed them.

However, since the cap increase to 80, a bunch of new challenges coming out with specific factions required, and the introduction of mods, there is just more stuff to spend credits on than I have a capacity to earn at the moment.

I think the number of projects that someone has to take on to participate in everything is what causes the credit crunch (Empire & Ewok events, Yoda Event, Scoundrel Event, various factions for Mod Challenges, Arena Team, GW Teams, Raid Teams, etc.). If you are ok to miss out on some things, and not chase everything all at once, credits are not an issue. For lots of people (myself included), we are just being stretched in so many ways to try to participate in everything, that there is no way to have the credits to complete it all.
  • Pyramidshawn
    871 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You could have a billion credits if you don't care about your ranking
  • Options
    25 million is incredible. I max only hold 7-9 mil. I just operate differently. For me its the end game. I hate being broke and low so i with hold maxing everything at once. I go by weekly and only spend GW winnings a day. I stay top 10 arena, currently 5th. It works.
  • Options
    Truthfully, there is no "wrong" way, there is only "your" way. If you like your way, have at it.
    But ... yeah, you're doing it wrong. ;)
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Eventine nailed it. Some of us like to live penny to penny (optimizing over time) and others save for some reason (skipping immediate for larger payout later). Seems like we're all gonna come out roughly even in the end.

Last few weeks, I've been saving my shards, credits, mods, gear/salvage during the weekdays, then spending it on the Weekend. It's been a happy medium. Been fun, give it a try if you're looking for a new feeling.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    https://swgoh.gg/u/sarcoplank/collection/
    Here is my collection. Hope this link works.
  • Rizn
    246 posts Member
    Options

Your characters are still in their 60s. Bringing them to level 80 will make you broke. Leveling mods for them will leave you in the credit crunch.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    So you're level 77 with level 66 characters and ranked 616 in arena. Alright, nothing to see here folks!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    Hey op, good job saving up. I'd be eyeing mods in the mod shipments if I were you. No you're doing nothing wrong. There is no credit crunch until lvl 80. If you focus on one squad, you can beat it, also if you're very patient! However there's not much fun in that for some people, myself included. If I were to start an alt right now I could save up and do very well, I'm sure. But right now, as it stands if I were handed 40 mil id still have toons I'd need to level up. Level 1 - 80 is 4.6 milli, which is pretty much a week of earning credits. Then you have starring up a toon, which is about 2 mil. And now we have mods and other stuff?!? It's just turrible for some max level players. I'm a freaking peasant right now.
  • Options
    Only 3 seven star toons, none at max level, no max mods. It's gets exponentially more expensive to level, star, gear, and mod toons. You have not got to the most expensive part of the game. That 25 million will go real fast when you get to max level and get a stronger roster.

It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • RWTD_Burn
    141 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey op, good job saving up. I'd be eyeing mods in the mod shipments if I were you. No you're doing nothing wrong. There is no credit crunch until lvl 80. If you focus on one squad, you can beat it, also if you're very patient! However there's not much fun in that for some people, myself included. If I were to start an alt right now I could save up and do very well, I'm sure. But right now, as it stands if I were handed 40 mil id still have toons I'd need to level up. Level 1 - 80 is 4.6 milli, which is pretty much a week of earning credits. Then you have starring up a toon, which is about 2 mil. And now we have mods and other stuff?!? It's just turrible for some max level players. I'm a freaking peasant right now.

You mightwant to check out the link to his roster. He is level 77 and yet his max level character is only 66. Unless he only runs GW and doesn't care about the raid and Arena results, then he is actually failing to build his roster properly. If he cares about the other aspects of the game, he should at least level his arena team up to match his current level. That alone will cost him roughly 10 million. to level the 12 characters that he has at least at gear level 7 it would cost him just about 25 million. He's be out of credits before even touching the few under-leveled mods he has on them.

Now if he doesn't care about the Arena battles nor raids, then he's perfectly fine the way he's going. He is handicapping his roster though. Having a roster built like that will also impact your ability to get into a stronger guild (Which may not be a concern if you like the one you are in). Many guilds will instantly skip anyone that doesn't keep a team at the same level as their main level.
    RWTD_Burn - Bears with Sabers
    https://swgoh.gg/u/rwtdBurn/
  • Options
    to answer OP's question, yes what's wrong is your sitting on 25 million in cash when your roster obviously needs a cash infusion.

Right away, your Arena team should be at max level. That will put you at ~15 million

But then GW will get harder so you will have to level up other characters. There goes another 5-10 million.

Hopefully you can promote away another 5 million.
  • Options
    RWTD_Burn wrote: »

I can only assume you didn't actually look at his roster. He is level 77 and yet his max level character is only 66. Unless he only runs GW and doesn't care about the raid and Arena results, then he is actually failing to build his roster properly. If he cares about the other aspects of the game, he should at least level his arena team up to match his current level. That alone will cost him roughly 10 million. to level the 12 characters that he has at least at gear level 7 it would cost him just about 25 million. He's be out of credits before even touching the few under-leveled mods he has on them.

Now if he doesn't care about the Arena battles nor raids, then he's perfectly fine the way he's going. He is handicapping his roster though.
    Oh yeah.. I didn't look at it lol. OP go level up your toons man. You're not out of the crunch bro. Welcome to poverty with the rest of the peasants. You can buy me a beer, they're only 5 credits. Level 66 - 80 costs about 2.6 mil, that's very hefty. And a big reason a lot of my roster isn't past 70.
  • Options
    tRRRey wrote: »
    So you're level 77 with level 66 characters and ranked 616 in arena. Alright, nothing to see here folks!

lol didn't even have to see that to know his situation
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, looks like I have a new nickname around here. But with the op team, well, you know what they say... If you can't beat them, join them.

• Options
    But I just maxed out my Lumi and she only went to 77.
  • VirtraThrad
    444 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yup. This is my life. Especially since I'm doing two squads right now thanks to my ADD. These clones are costing me a fortune, and I'm still maxing out my Jedi... plus my scoundrels are a side project. There aren't enough credits in this galaxy for all my projects. I just finished max starring everyome exceot lando and RG. You add on mods and gear.... I'm a pauper. I'd love to be upgraded to peasant status.
  • Options
    Credits are meant to be spent, but it's good to have 5-10 million stored just in case. 25 million, though, is excessive and you aren't at your full potential because of this.
  • SnokeTrooper
    189 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I could only get my Lumi to 77 do I have to gear her up more?

Edit: Think I got it. It has to do with your level, right?
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options

Well now iknow why you have that many credits. You havent put on many mods or leveled them up. You haven't leveled up many characters or starred up many characters. But this still doesn't necessarily mean you are doing anything wrong.
  • CatoNines
    423 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Credits mean nothing. The object of the game is to level up characters and progress through battles.
    Having credits and a weak roster is like saying "I'm starving to death but I've got a room full of cheeseburgers".
  • JediStormbringer
    81 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My Toons
    https://imgur.com/a/GQkNk

My Arena and Holdings
    https://imgur.com/a/DUyBK

For the Op, check it out. I would say you should definitely invest more in your toons. My account is just over 4 months old. I have spent the occasional $10-$20 on crystals for pushes, but I just play conservative. This is my hobby. Game needs a great deal of fixing before I would be motivated to spend more. My best advice is pick your top toons and focus what you have on them. Dont go for broke but being higher level is important for everything. As is you are missing out on a great deal of enjoyment and ability. Omega abilities are awesome fun and my QGJ is my favorite toon, even over Rey and her slaugter ability. In my listing you will see I have toons i could shard up but havent yet. The reason is I am developing my top toons (everything purple) in sets. Once i max the first set i will push the second set and once they are all max star, max level and mod set as i have been doing i will push another set of three to four toons. Im making up for how i started all over the board just leveling everyone and gearing, when i could of focused elsewhere. Hope it helps.

My QGJ
    https://imgur.com/a/geTV9
    Post edited by JediStormbringer on
  • Options
    I think you have been playing it pretty conservatively by leveling up your A-C teams together. That's a good strategy if you are focusing on GW. There are some good toons in GW rewards. Just beware that just by leveling up your Lumi, you will probably see GW as more of a challenge.

If you are happy with how you are progressing, don't worry about it. But I would recommend following the advice of upgrading your mods as much as possible. AFAIK, upgrading mods does not affect your squad power. So, it makes you stronger without affecting GW. This will help your GW results and should help you move up a bit more in arena. At least try to get to below 500 in arena to get better rewards.

Also, as mentioned, some events are limited by your player level or character level, so having higher level characters opens up more playing options.

Lumi is a good character to level up. She is my strongest character and does very well for me with where I am at.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick!" Theodore Roosevelt. "You know that's right!" Rey
  • Options
    Mods actually do affect squad power, it was a bug fix in one of the latest updates.
  • Options
    Thanks. Guess I have not checked in the last week. Maybe that's why I'm doing better in GW!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick!" Theodore Roosevelt. "You know that's right!" Rey
  • Options
    The real secret of GW is its factoring. For PL 30-40k the final nodes tend to be a complicated set of super soldier squads. For PL over 40k, however, they always draw final nodes of 3 star weak geared nothing accounts with high levels... Very odd bug but what can we do lol. I manage GW, thats part of the reason to develop multiple squads so you can send teams to fit the different bills, and take advantage of weak nodes to institute healers to keep squads healthy for the harder nodes. Happy Hunting!