Proposal to revive mercing..

Prev13
Ok so the 48 hour cool down on raid rewards pretty much killed guild hopping or the hilarious term "mercing", I would like to see that term revived again so I propose this...

Instead of players receiving no rewards during the 48 hour cool down, what if they received reduced rewards, at about 20 or 30 percent of what they would've normally gotten, with no chance at all for a fully crafted piece of gear. This allows players just joining a guild to still be rewarded with something for their efforts! Also mercs will still have some small incentive to go back to doing what they like to do.

The small amount of gear wouldn't bother me at all. I normally get probably like 60 pieces of random salvage from being top 10 in T7. That's only 12 pieces of salvage if the rewards were reduced to 20 percent! And you don't even get to choose what it is! So maybe 6 furnace salvage and 6 stun cuff salvage, not a huge advantage at all!

This is also coming from a dog who has stayed loyal to his guild, I've only done 60 raids, I don't have Han yolo unlocked yet, and I'm happily married to my T7 guild, no cheating on it or anything. So no bias is here. Would you like this change? @EA_Jesse help us Jesse, you're our only hope.
#savethemercs

Replies

• Options
    No, in my opinion
  • Options
    LordRath wrote: »
    No, in my opinion
    But millord Rath; why?!?! :(.. that makes me a sad panda.
  • Options
    I actually think most mercing is unhealthy for the community. I'm not going to go into the fact that mercs gear up faster than people who play the game as intended. That's kind of a dead horse, plenty will chime in both ways on that.

I think in most cases it's unhealthy for the guild receiving the help. First, it makes them dependent on an outside agency to be able to play this aspect of the game. This doesn't encourage people to learn their squads better, build their squads better, and learn to adapt. In theory, this could be part of why many struggle with other aspects of the game, like GW. They get more power in a squad, that they didn't really earn, and now it's out of whack for them.

It build a dependent mind set as well. It is a little bit like the old proverb...give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a life time.

I also have concerns because people advance faster than intended (though current advancement rates could be arguably too slow). This is a problem as their is no real endgame. So you rush to the "end", and then find you are bored.

Just my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    Your argumentation seems valid to me LordRath. Nevertheless my guild was happy of that occasional mercjob we needed from time to time when we started Heroics. Even though most us knew what we were doing with our squads. Now after a little more farming and some more good members we don't need mercs anymore (just in time... phew). Guess with the new cooldown you have to be even more sure before rising up to T7, before you could just be like "Doesn't matter. Let's just give it a shot!"
  • Options
    No. No. No. No. It's over. Like the Sopranos. Find a different show.
  • Options
    rawman wrote: »
    Your argumentation seems valid to me LordRath. Nevertheless my guild was happy of that occasional mercjob we needed from time to time when we started Heroics. Even though most us knew what we were doing with our squads. Now after a little more farming and some more good members we don't need mercs anymore (just in time... phew). Guess with the new cooldown you have to be even more sure before rising up to T7, before you could just be like "Doesn't matter. Let's just give it a shot!"

Yeah, that's why I preface my comments with "most". When it's just a little nudge the negatives go way down
  • Options
    1zzkeja.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, that's why I preface my comments with "most". When it's just a little nudge the negatives go way down
    Yeah you do have some valid points, mercing does spoil guilds rotten lol. That's one problem with it, really the only problem tbh.
    No. No. No. No. It's over. Like the Sopranos. Find a different show.
    Hmm? Did you just finish the sopranos? I prefer the wire myself, to each his own.
  • Options
    1zzkeja.jpg
    Oh. That's you in the pic? So they're a team then. Ahh, wonder what city and sport they play?
  • Options
    1zzkeja.jpg
    Oh. That's you in the pic? So they're a team then. Ahh, wonder what city and sport they play?

Lol at you making fun of a guild being called a team. And you call a player who hops from guild to guild a mercenary. You are so clever you lone wolf.
  • Options
    Ok so the 48 hour cool down on raid rewards pretty much killed guild hopping or the hilarious term "mercing", I would like to see that term revived again so I propose this...

Instead of players receiving no rewards during the 48 hour cool down, what if they received reduced rewards, at about 20 or 30 percent of what they would've normally gotten, with no chance at all for a fully crafted piece of gear. This allows players just joining a guild to still be rewarded with something for their efforts! Also mercs will still have some small incentive to go back to doing what they like to do.

The small amount of gear wouldn't bother me at all. I normally get probably like 60 pieces of random salvage from being top 10 in T7. That's only 12 pieces of salvage if the rewards were reduced to 20 percent! And you don't even get to choose what it is! So maybe 6 furnace salvage and 6 stun cuff salvage, not a huge advantage at all!

This is also coming from a dog who has stayed loyal to his guild, I've only done 60 raids, I don't have Han yolo unlocked yet, and I'm happily married to my T7 guild, no cheating on it or anything. So no bias is here. Would you like this change? @EA_Jesse help us Jesse, you're our only hope.
    #savethemercs

When this was first announced a month or two ago, didn't they state that the cooldown would mean that the hopper wouldn't receive "the best rewards" unless they had been a member for 48 hours?
  • Options
    kello_511 wrote: »

#savethemercs

When this was first announced a month or two ago, didn't they state that the cooldown would mean that the hopper wouldn't receive "the best rewards" unless they had been a member for 48 hours?
    They stated they'd only received currency.
    1zzkeja.jpg

Lol at you making fun of a guild being called a team. And you call a player who hops from guild to guild a mercenary. You are so clever you lone wolf.
    I have no clue what any of this comment is about. And I'm a talking dog with glasses, which I clearly stated earlier in the post. Wolf is offensive to us.
  • Options
    Just let people choose their "homeguild" where they dont have 48h cooldown
    Homeguild is set by being in there for a total of 48h and gets reset when leaving for 48h+

Example:
    Homeguild is guild A
    I am asked by B to help them kill their raid
    I move to B, help them out (and i am under this 48h cooldown, cant receive rewards), when done i move back (within 48h) to homeguild and dont have penalty, can receive rewards immediately...

Would allow helping out while keeping things fair/balanced
  • Options
    The problem is, they can't tell the difference between altruistic guild moves, with no rewards, and that of people working the system to get more rewards than intended. So you have to have a static cool down. Guilds that build a strong community, are healthier for game longevity too. Guild hopping, when rampant, has the potential to do much more damage than good
  • Options
    Homeguild is set by being in there for a total of 48h and gets reset when leaving for 48h+

Example:
    Homeguild is guild A
    I move to B, help them out (and i am under this 48h cooldown, cant receive rewards), when done i move back (within 48h) to homeguild and dont have penalty, can receive rewards immediately...

This, sir, is an awesome suggestion!
  • Options
    The problem is, they can't tell the difference between altruistic guild moves, with no rewards, and that of people working the system to get more rewards than intended. So you have to have a static cool down. Guilds that build a strong community, are healthier for game longevity too. Guild hopping, when rampant, has the potential to do much more damage than good
    Yeah I feel you. It's just, mercing was fun for a lot of the community, and a good way to earn more rewards. With reduced rewards it would give people incentive to actually help people out, and give others a reason to put extra effort into the game without really hurting anything. The big problem is like you said, some guilds can just rely on mercs to do all the work..

Example:
    Homeguild is guild A

And yeah this isn't a bad suggestion at all. Mercs wouldn't receive anything but a thank you for their time though lol, but hey, it's better than what we have now.
  • Options

Example:
    Homeguild is guild A

This, sir, is an awesome suggestion!
    Thankfully this isn't going to happen. The intent is to limit players from receiving rewards from unintended activity. By all means, push to get what you want, but this won't fly because this game is a business. If the activity doesn't generate a higher revenue stream, it won't be supported. My guess more revenue is generated by people pushing to prepare for a t7.
  • Options
    They should allow it only if they receive the absolute worst rewards in the guild, as if they gave dead last damage. And without any chance to receive 1 full piece of gear.
  • Options
    @LordRath if players want mercing, it's not your place to deny it to them. I say give them the choice.

Hopefully CG are working furiously on making mercing an official game feature. Once again: it's optional, it can't be forced on anyone and no one has the right to deny others that option. Except Uncle John, of course
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Scourge194 wrote: »
    @LordRath if players want mercing, it's not your place to deny it to them. I say give them the choice.

Hopefully CG are working furiously on making mercing an official game feature. Once again: it's optional, it can't be forced on anyone and no one has the right to deny others that option. Except Uncle John, of course

I don't deny anyone anything. I'm just glad they have mitigated the flow of unintended rewards. Interesting it makes you uncomfortable having an opposing view point. Play as you like, within the confines of the game. One idea, if you really want mercing, would be to sell a merc pass in the shipment store. Price would have to be between 3500 and 4000 shards though to offset the raid reward value of extra raids. Just a thought...
  • Options
    Revive it!
  • Options
    Question... If a guild leader kicks you out of a guild are you still subjected to the 48 HR cool down window?
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    Kramer wrote: »
    Question... If a guild leader kicks you out of a guild are you still subjected to the 48 HR cool down window?

i would assume yes, how will they know if someone was kicked out or left on their own? but i dont know for sure
  • Options
    Dhoey321 wrote: »

i would assume yes, how will they know if someone was kicked out or left on their own? but i dont know for sure

I don't think it would be that hard to put in a code that allievates the timer if you were forced out but I could see that being an exploit
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options

I don't think it would be that hard to put in a code that allievates the timer if you were forced out but I could see that being an exploit

they probably didn't think of that though.
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options

It was an exploit on the previous fix
  • Options
    Personally I would vote no as well; when we attempted our first heroic raid we got to 42% left in P4 and as a guild we accepted the failure, learned from the experience and moved on. I think guilds should live or die together... calling in outside help just feels like cheating to me. We need more people that can learn from failure and less that just take the easy way out all the time.
  • Options

So you are still subjected to the 48 window if you're kicked out?
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options

Yes
  • Options

Yes

It's pretty obvious that a guild that was mercing would just have an officer kick out the members who were going instead of having them leave on their own.