Four arena matches vs lower power teams. Killed ONE enemy character. ONCE.

Okay... something odd is happening to me this weekend. Is it because I'm now over 60 player level? Regardless, I'm being utterly decimated in arena. I managed to kill a royal guard once in one of four matches. That was my only kill. Out of four matches :-D And things were nearly as bad yesterday, too.

My own tank - royal guard - gets nailed in less than one turn, as soon as another character is hurt, without a chance for me to heal. Then my healers are picked off. Finally the rest of my team fails to kill anything as the enemy healers heal their team every time.

I've tried adding more assist moves for multiple hits. I tried adding another tank. A third healer. Targeting heals first. Targeting Sid first. Ignoring Sid, targeting attack units.

Whatever I do, I'm decimated by the AI, lot least of which because a huge number of my moves are evaded, whereas nearly every enemy move lands! :-(

This is stupid. Have I wasted my time and money? Is SWGoH broken beyond repair after a certain point?

Replies

• Options
    Make that five in a row today lost. I did actually manage to kill their healer this time. But that was all. So broken.
  • DJJ
    367 posts Member
    Options
    Something isn't broken just because you're not successful at it. Why don't you tell us your team, star levels, gear, other options, and maybe we can give you down advice. I'd say on average the attacking team will win in arena 4/5 times, all else being equal.
  • Options
    Wizardling wrote: »
    Okay... something odd is happening to me this weekend. Is it because I'm now over 60 player level? Regardless, I'm being utterly decimated in arena. I managed to kill a royal guard once in one of four matches. That was my only kill. Out of four matches :-D And things were nearly as bad yesterday, too.

My own tank - royal guard - gets nailed in less than one turn, as soon as another character is hurt, without a chance for me to heal. Then my healers are picked off. Finally the rest of my team fails to kill anything as the enemy healers heal their team every time.

I've tried adding more assist moves for multiple hits. I tried adding another tank. A third healer. Targeting heals first. Targeting Sid first. Ignoring Sid, targeting attack units.

Whatever I do, I'm decimated by the AI, lot least of which because a huge number of my moves are evaded, whereas nearly every enemy move lands! :-(

This is ****. Have I wasted my time and money? Is SWGoH broken beyond repair after a certain point?
    You run healers in arena? Lol lol
  • Osik
    235 posts Member
    Options
    "I've tried adding more assist moves for multiple hits. I tried adding another tank. A third healer. "
    first off, if you have 2 healers and a tank in your normal group you wont do enough damage to beat anybody. also, do you have mods? they make a big difference compared to how much power they add to your team...
  • Options
    Something _is_ broken when regular success suddenly becomes two days of near total failures. The only win I've had this weekend was with a Teebo stealth team. My Royal Guard was still slaughtered before either two healers could heal - pointless. But the random stealths managed to disrupt other attacks enough for my healers to keep four of my characters alive. I really would have been better off not using a RG in that match. It only served to concentrate the AI's devastatingly accurate fire. Without stealth my frequently evaded attacks would not have been fast enough to win before my team would have been slaughtered - as happened in all other matches this weekend.

Since you ask - that team was Teebo (lead), RG, Lum, JC, Geo. Fail teams were IG-86 or Talia or Qui-Gon or Chewy instead of Teebo, with Lum leading, and Chewy leading one. All toons are 4+ star, level 54 - 57, about half purple geared or nearly so.

So - perhaps lesson learnt: regular tanks are worthless. Stealth is the only way to go from here on out? At least that is the conclusion I must draw from this weekend. Insane as it seems to me.
  • Options

This is ****. Have I wasted my time and money? Is SWGoH broken beyond repair after a certain point?
    You run healers in arena? Lol lol

Not sure why you're laughing when most teams I face have two, and walloped me this weekend. One IME is good for nearly nothing - still that was also true of two heals this weekend, baring stealth Teebo team.
  • Options
    Not to sound condescending, but I have to comment on whether you are aware that games are balanced for end-game content. What is used at your player level versus the players at level cap is quite different. You're upset that you've gone from winning to instantly losing. As you play catch-up, you'll be swimming in larger, and larger ponds of players, all that have already been where you are now.

Be weary of judging content quite critically until you've dabbled through the entire spectrum of possibilities. I can promise you that stealth is a joke at 80.
  • Paxus
    60 posts Member
    Options
    You are starting to run into teams of more difficult opponents. Endgame arena is speed, taunt and high burst dps, no healers.

Also, power is meaningless. It is just an expression of the total stats of a character/team and doesn't represent what they can actually do.
  • Options
    Not to sound condescending, but I have to comment on whether you are aware that games are balanced for end-game content. What is used at your player level versus the players at level cap is quite different. You're upset that you've gone from winning to instantly losing. As you play catch-up, you'll be swimming in larger, and larger ponds of players, all that have already been where you are now.

Be weary of judging content quite critically until you've dabbled through the entire spectrum of possibilities. I can promise you that stealth is a joke at 80.

And healers at that point, it's all about dispellers (not teebo) and high dps at level 80, OP stick with gearing up your royal guard he will still be great.
  • Options

No, that wasn't condescending. It sounded sensible to me. I'm just a bit shocked at my sudden turn around in fortunes. I only levelled twice in the past three days. I suppose you're right. I'll have a cooler head tomorrow and work on gear - my weakest point, after lack of useful characters, I reckon.

So if stealth is a joke later on (stealth breaking toons popular?), what is a good mid-range style to adopt as I crawl forwards? :-)
  • Options
    Paxus wrote: »
    You are starting to run into teams of more difficult opponents. Endgame arena is speed, taunt and high burst dps, no healers.

Also, power is meaningless. It is just an expression of the total stats of a character/team and doesn't represent what they can actually do.

I'm seeing a lot of teams in my current 12th tier with exactly what you and others are saying is useless or less useful. And they kicked my **** this weekend. But what do I know? Maybe they're also facing my team and crying? Certainly I've not moved much this weekend, despite my losses.

So you reckon focus on burst DPS (I assume that's assist and multi-attacks?), and when you say taunts, you don't just mean one character, yeah? Because that's getting annihilated for me. You mean like some teams I've faced where there are multiple taunts pulling me around like a ping pong ball? I'll have to work on getting Han, I suppose.
  • Options

I'm seeing a lot of teams in my current 12th tier with exactly what you and others are saying is useless or less useful. And they kicked my **** this weekend. But what do I know? Maybe they're also facing my team and crying? Certainly I've not moved much this weekend, despite my losses.

So you reckon focus on burst DPS (I assume that's assist and multi-attacks?), and when you say taunts, you don't just mean one character, yeah? Because that's getting annihilated for me. You mean like some teams I've faced where there are multiple taunts pulling me around like a ping pong ball? I'll have to work on getting Han, I suppose.

Most of the players here are probably level 80. When they were your level there were no mods and no protection stat. My point is "META" or Most effective team available is relative to your shard (server/leaderboard). There are pointers you can follow, sure, but only you can find the most optimal setup for your shard. Look at what the top players use (ranks 1-20). It helps. This is coming from a F2P player who finishes regularly in the top3 at level 80.
  • Options

SThan is a solid toon to work on, it's hard to advise you on who to work on not knowing your roster but, old ben, phasma, anakin, Rey, all good toons to work on
  • Options
    Solid advice, thanks. I guess I've been mostly coasting on what worked for PvE.

Sorry about my moment of self pity at the top. I was - and know this is always a bad idea, heh - a bit ticked off when I wrote the OP and first couple replies, written during and after my string of losses (with what still seems an amazing number of evades by the AI - everything else aside: is it just me, or does the AI evade like a bandit?).

Ha. If nothing else I'm not really gonna rage quit. At least not after sinking money into getting the daily crystal reward. I really do enjoy the art style and battle design of this game - that's what hooked me.
  • Options
    Ok.. Op I have to ask, what do your mods look like? Cause they hardly affect power though they make a huge difference in stats
  • Options
    Ok.. Op I have to ask, what do your mods look like? Cause they hardly affect power though they make a huge difference in stats

I've barely had a chance to more than glance at mods. I was concentrating on levelling useful characters, skill levels, promotion, and gear. At what point should I divert effort towards mods? Yesterday? Right away? focus on XYZ to a certain point first?

I don't have enough crystals to do more than buy two mission and one cantina refreshes per day. I do make sure I miss none of the free energy - I've been rather obsessive about that.
  • Options

I've barely had a chance to more than glance at mods. I was concentrating on levelling useful characters, skill levels, promotion, and gear. At what point should I divert effort towards mods? Yesterday? Right away? focus on XYZ to a certain point first?

I don't have enough crystals to do more than buy two mission and one cantina refreshes per day. I do make sure I miss none of the free energy - I've been rather obsessive about that.
    Right away. Mods make all the difference do the health mod challenges first..
    Mods are your problem bro.
  • Options
    Well, I'll try. I can only afford so much. Are you saying I should ignore everything else for now?
  • Options
    You should check https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/10/. Check what characters you have from those lists, check what you can farm easily and start working on new team :)
  • Options
    Mods make a HUGE difference.

Unfortunately, until you get them, level them, and figure out how to best use them, you will be at a big disadvantage.

I was lucky enough to dabble with mods when they had 100% drop rate and were less expensive to level. It kept me top 20 or better for a couple weeks until people started catching up.

That was with my toons being underpowered and under geared.

After that I dropped to 30-50 in arena and have been focusing on leveling (just hit level cap) and gearing.

There is a world of difference between gear 9-10 and gear 8.

There is a world of difference between gear 8 and gear 6-7.

Mods compound those differences.
  • Options

You are totally right!

• Options
    Okay, cheers. I'll start to work on mods, and I'll try to concentrate on characters the better ranked players are using. I still fancy a jawa team, though ;-)
  • Options
    Okay, cheers. I'll start to work on mods, and I'll try to concentrate on characters the better ranked players are using. I still fancy a jawa team, though ;-)
    Whoa. Jawas are poo together in arena. Sorry dude some squads just aren't meant to work yet, however don't give up on farming them, they may be good in the new raid! You should definitely focus on mods right now though.. Also, her are the best f2p toons imo, along with some honorable mentions.

1. Palpatine
    2. Rey
    3. Royal guard
    4. Anakin
    5. Storm trooper Han
    6. Qui gon Jin
    7. Genosian soldier
    8. Count Dooku
    9. Phasma
    10. Lando Calrissan

Honorable mentions/ very good toons

Old Ben, Leia, First order tie pilot, Luke, Luminara, Old Daka, Hoth rebel scout, Fives, Clone sargeant, plo koon, Biggs darklighter.

IG-86, IG-88, HK-47( these 3 droids are amazing when used together, but only IG-86 really shines when used without droids.) Jawa engineer is very good with the 3 droids, nebit is also ok..
  • Options
    I'm glad Lando made the list. Always been a fan. Already got him too.
  • Options
    1. Healers are rarely used in arena at lower levels. Its all about firepower and tanks in arena. Using a healer sacrifices a valuable spot that could be better used by a tank or dps. Save the healer for gw and other areas. 2. Every member of your arena team should be at least 5 star bylevel 60 if not 7. There are too many good arena heroes that can be farmed f2p not to have them at least that far. 3. Every member of your arena team should be at gear 8 at your level. To get below 200 they should be gear 9 if not 10. 4. Power rating is a general number, i regularly beat teams with a power rati g 4k to 6k over me. 5. All of your arena team should have a full set of at least 1 star mods fully maxed. If you dont have any of this (gear, stars,mods) at level 60 then your not focusing enough. Your scattering your resources around among other heroes your not using. Its better to have a small core of fully maxed heroes than abunch of mid level ones.