Mace Windu STILL needs a rework (+suggestion)

MrJx3
257 posts Member
Originally put this in general so you guys can check it out there if you want as well.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/64714/i-think-mace-windu-still-needs-a-rework-suggestion#latest

Warning: hella long post ahead.

I know many of you might disagree with me as he has recently been buffed, but I think mace still does not have the kit he deserves. Mace Windu was at the time the second greatest Jedi to ever live, only behind master Yoda. He's one of the greatest duelists of all time, rivaling the likes of Dooku, Yoda, and Sidious. He even created his own lightsaber form, Vaapad, a variant of Juyo. He is the only one to have mastered this form without falling to the dark side. Not only is he an all time great, he is one of the most iconic characters in Star Wars, played by mother******* Samuel Jackson. Basically every iconic character right now (except boba and maul) have solid movesets that separates them from others. I feel he needs a kit that is deserving of his iconic role and stays true with his character and lore.
Mace Windu
Aggressive attacker that wears down enemies through swift critical attacks and Shatterpoint.
Invincible Assault (Basic)- Deal Physical damage to target enemy, with a 55% chance to gain speed up for 2 turns. +15% chance (lvl8)
This attack centers around Mace Windu's signature lightsaber form Vaapad which draws its power and ferocity from the emotions of both the user and the opponent, hence the speed up. This reliable speed boost along with tm gain allows Mace to get off a lot of attacks, dealing solid dps.
Tempered Aggression (cooldown 3)- deal special damage to target enemy 4 times, with a 55% chance to deal damage a fifth time. Each attack has a +25% chance of dealing a critical hit. If Mace has Shatterpoint, gain offense up for 3 turns. Each hit after the first deals less damage.
Tempered aggression is the term used when fully embracing vaapad, using both your own and the opponent's emotions and enjoying the thrill of the battle, dancing with the dark side. This attack isn't exactly a direct source of damage as it wouldn't do an absurd amount but instead used to rev up dps by getting an increased chance to gain Shatterpoint early in each encounter. each hit after the first only deal about 25% damage, and the total damage should deal considerably less than say Rey's flurry of blows.
I'm thinking it should look something like this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Swirling_VZZZ.jpg
Smite (cooldown 7)- deal physical damage to target enemy, with 25% more damage for every ally defeated on your team. This attack has a 100% critical chance.
Smite is like the be all end all attack, a last resort, which is why it has the longest cooldown. This is Windu's trump card, and you only really use it when you're really in trouble. If used in the right situation, it can change the tide of the battle. This should ideally be used when Windu is the last one alive, as it can deal IMMENSE damage to a single target, potentially one shotting them, dealing similar or even more damage than a culling blade with multiple debuffs in the right situation. This really spices things up when facing a team of sith and handling 2v1s or even 4v1s.
Jedi Commander (Leader)- Jedi allies gain 10% offense for every enemy defeated, and 10% defense for every ally defeated.
This leader ability shows Mace Windu who frequently leads the charge in battles, whether it is flipping off dooku or arresting a Sith Lord.
Vaapad (Unique)- Mace Windu has 15% critical chance 30% critical damage. Mace also gains 15% turn meter whenever he gets hit with a critical attack. Gain 20% turn meter whenever he gets hit by a sith (level 8)
Vaapad, the ferocity form, is the seventh form of lightsaber combat and is described as the most erratic and unpredictable of the forms. Mace Windu is the only practitioner of this form to not fall into the dark side. This form started as a variant of Juyo, a fierce and aggressive form of combat, which Darth maul is notable for mastering. Vaapad is able to "eviscerate a lone enemy". This is why I added crit synergies and tm gain to Windu's arsenal, as well as single target attacks, which I feel fits with the lore perfectly.
Shatterpoint (Unique)- Whenever Mace deals a critical attack, he has a 50% chance of gaining Shatterpoint for 3 turns. In addition, Mace Windu gains 25% turn meter whenever he deals a critical hit. If Mace Windu is the last one living on his team, he passively gains Shatterpoint for the rest of the encounter.
Mace Windu's attacks can't be evaded or countered and is immune to debuffs as long as Shatterpoint is active. I've changed the way Shatterpoint kind of works here. Instead of expose, Shatterpoint is a buff unique to Mace. There's still that rng aspect of having to land a critical hit just for a chance to gain Shatterpoint. That way it still stays true to the lore. There's another bonus to Shatterpoint however. If he lands a critical hit, he gains 25-35% turn meter. Before you think this is op, you can still dispel it just like any other buff. However, if he is the last one standing, he gains this effect passively, meaning you can't dispel it. I added this since in Revenge of the Sith, he faces off against Darth Sidious. In that battle, he fully utilizes vaapad, channeling and reflecting Sid's limitless power of the dark side and fights like he never fought before, fighting him as a complete equal.
Gameplay: Mace Windu's main source of damage comes from his basics, and his specials complement his play style perfectly. Use TA early, get Shatterpoint, and wreck havoc through frequent heavy hitting basics. He is a solid attacker in any situation, but where he thrives is as the last man. He gets undispellable Shatterpoint, boost in damage through offense up with TA, and a heavy hitting smite in case you face multiple attackers. Sith only fuel his power, gaining tm whenever he gets hit by them. If mace is lead, he gets to tank even more attacks through more defense, as well as get stronger as he mows through enemies. Mace becomes even more deadly if paired with JKA as lead, allowing him to deal ridiculous amounts of damage through even more lethal attacks. So instead of getting hit 4 times per attack, you only get hit once or twice before you get to attack again, which I feel perfectly represents vaapad and Mace Windu's style of fighting.
Counters: One of the most effective ways to deal with Mace is by killing him off early and outspeeding him. In RoTS, Palpatine could have killed all the Jedi, including Mace, right in the very beginning. Dooku, for example, could stun Windu first due to higher base speed. If he doesn't, dooku will just feed Windu tm and only make him more deadly. If he is unable to be outsped, a tank with high defense could simply absorb his attacks while a dispeller could also hinder his potential. Mace Windu should be a top priority and should be killed first, as Windu has abilities that could allow him to easily take the battle if left for last.
I know it's a lot to ask from CG, but I believe that this kit best represents his character, and also adds a layer of depth and brings something new and entertaining to the table. Even if it's not even considered, I hope it at least inspires one of the devs for a possible rework idea for Maul or another similar character.

Replies

• Options
    This captures the essence of Vaapad very well. It never made sense to me that Vaapad was a leader ability, when Mace was the only Jedi who mastered it.

So the Shatterpoint (unique) ability gives the Shatterpoint buff, which does nothing except allow him to gain an offense up buff? Seems a little underwhelming for a unique buff. Perhaps Shatterpoint (unique) should instead give him critical damage up on a crit (with critical damage up being the trigger for gaining offense up on Tempered Aggression)
  • Options
    Coldth wrote: »
    This captures the essence of Vaapad very well. It never made sense to me that Vaapad was a leader ability, when Mace was the only Jedi who mastered it.

So the Shatterpoint (unique) ability gives the Shatterpoint buff, which does nothing except allow him to gain an offense up buff? Seems a little underwhelming for a unique buff. Perhaps Shatterpoint (unique) should instead give him critical damage up on a crit (with critical damage up being the trigger for gaining offense up on Tempered Aggression)

My idea for Shatterpoint actually does a lot more than just an offense up buff. His attacks can't be evaded or countered, he is immune to debuffs, and gains 25% tm upon critical hit. Tempered aggression can be used to get Shatterpoint early (5 attacks=higher chance for Shatterpoint) or when you're the last one alive, you can get offense up along with Shatterpoint.

Shatterpoint can be anything, but I wanted a powerful offense orientated buff unique to Mace. Maybe it can also be all his attacks can be critical and can't miss for 3 turns. But yeah I agree with what you said, Vaapad really shouldn't be a leader ability. It's weird how they got so many little things right like wedge's unique ability but not this.
  • Options
    I think it would be cool if he had double damage against sith, like DM against Jedi. It would help counter EP and Vader teams. And play in to his prowess with a light sabre.