The riddle of Nute Gunray

MarsAmbassador69
149 posts Member
edited September 2016
Along with Lobot, he's the only character I've never seen anyone actually using in this game. I'm pretty sure I've seen everyone else, even if they were just being given a test ride.

So what's up with Nute? He needs the most Raid crafting items to complete out of the entire game (6 - tied with Ugnaught and Boba Fett). So obviously the programmers don't consider him a lightweight or he'd just require 1 or 2 Raid gear.

I feel that at some point, the meta will shift again and a character like Nute Gunray is suddenly going to be the one that everyone is racing for. As a joke on us by the programmers, if nothing else. That or a Gungan.

To those that are already using him (there has to be someone), what team do you put him in and what parts of the game are you playing him in?
"No reward is worth this!" - Han Solo

Replies

• Options
    Nute is waiting until we get tired of metas, to be reworked and have a great synergy with a new p2p char
  • Options
    Oooohwee. I toy around with him in my last 2 gw nodes (I get the easy one). I use him, zam, greedo, mob enforcer, and JE. I just like having zam go 6 turns in a row. But his bomb is pretty cool when it sticks.
  • Options
    There is potential for a stealth synergy revolving around Nute's leader ability and Leia & Geo Spy plus a new character or two....but it needs a bit more tweaking to get there.
  • Options
    He needs to have synergy with droidekas. Like the ones he called in episode 1.
  • Options
    Nute's synergy with 3 Jawas and Dengar for Tm gain may be the new raid team of choice.
  • Options
    I like him. G9 nearly 10, he crits like a truck...well, before we started seeing 10-20k crits. He's not useless in a Scoundrel squad, but needs far more potency and maybe a small rework to me more useable. With the addition of old/new again Scoundrels, he's really only viable on a Zam team...and THAT needs work to work because she's such a lightweight.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Options
    Funny you should ask because I use both :P

Nute I use because I got him in a Bronzium pack a while ago and have exactly 5 Scoundrels: Nute (pack), Dengar (freebie), Greedo (from another Bronzium pack), Chewbacca (freebie), and Stormtrooper Han. So if I want to do the Scoundrel events I have to use him. He's at 4 stars, level 61, gear 7. He does good damage considering the low level of investment I had put in him (I levelled and geared him exactly to the point where I could do tier 2 of the old Credit Heist and NOT ONE CREDIT FURTHER). He's fragile, but his basic gives stealth fairly reliably. Unfortunately the CUPs have so much AoE that his stealth doesn't help a lot...

Lobot was kind of a weird obsession I had. I got him from a Bronzium Pack (I've had pretty good luck with Bronziums, to be frank) and thought he'd be a good Droid leader because he gives them straight up speed and I didn't have HK at the time. So I did his two hard modes every day and just recently got him to 7 stars--ironically enough, when I was at 85/100, I opened another copy of him in a Bronzium pack to finish him off. By the time I had him at 5 stars I'd figured out that HK is just plain better, but by then I was already committed and decided I'd finish him off so that I could say I did it. It's a bonus that he doesn't need raid gear to get to gear 9, so I got him that far. He's currently 7 stars, level 80, gear 9, and....... Not very good. He's useful in Raids because his cleanse will remove Deathmark and in phase 3 debuffs reduce your damage. In Galactic War I'll put him in one of my early fights so he ends with high Turn Meter, then I'll throw him in later against certain match ups--Cleanse AoE debuffs. He's also helpful against Rey, because his basic will fairly reliably inflict Defense Down, turning off her Focused Strikes.

Both characters need work, to be totally honest. Nute's probably closest to being usable for other things because his damage is nice (For reference, despite his low levels he can hold his own in T3 Credit Heist) and his Thermal Detonator is made a little better because the Credit Heist mobs take turns quickly. But his Detonator is resisted too often, and the damage isn't quite good enough to be worth doing in a lot of cases. Lobot's not very good currently, but it's hard to say what exactly he needs in order to be better without seeing what Light Side Droids look like. For all we know they could synergize with him very, very well--doubtful, but possible--in which case he might be good later on. But, right here right now, he's very uninspiring despite his snazzy Seinfeld-esque puffy shirt.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Poor Nute. He just doesn't have it where it counts, just like the movies.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    It'd be nice if the damage from Thermal Detonators scaled with the duration of the debuff. Maybe it does already, the tooltips aren't exactly forthcoming, but I haven't noticed. This way a 3-turn Detonator (which will almost always be cleansed in a real battle) has some sort of reward for its vulerability.

Part of the problem is that unless you're lucky like I was to get him in a pack (at 4 stars, no less) you're just not going to use him. I use him because I have to--everyone talks about how great a Scoundrel team with Lando and IG-88 and so on and so forth is, but I don't have those guys. You do the battles with the guys you have, not the guys you necessarily want to have :P And that'd be completely okay if he was readily accessible. But, without relying on luck, you have to get him using the same currency you use to get Sidious, Han, HK, IG-88, and other All-Stars. So why buy him?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for all your feedback folks.

Looks like Nute could be super viable, but down the road. Works good with Zam, Dengar, the jawas and would be dynamite with Leia. As it is, just not quite ready for prime time. There's a character or two missing that could tie this all together. My guess is down the road, Nute will finally get his day in the sun.

Leader ability: "Stealthed allies gain 55% critical chance and gain 30% Turn Meter on a critical hit."

That crit chance and TM is insane. Plus he is fast, so he'd be going quite often. Nute, Teebo, Leia, ST Han and Dengar/Dathcha could be good and would be a TM and crit machine. But ideally you're pairing Nute with other detonator players like Greedo, Zam, and Jawa Scavenger, however that just doesn't look viable. Maybe with Geonosian Spy added? I dunno. Seems weak.

I'm going to keep sitting on the sidelines but also keep my eye on Nute. I just have a feeling he's going to make meta one day with a tweak or something.

• Options
    With more added characters with Stealth, i'm sure he would be used as a Leader alot more!

• Options
    The new separatist synergy gives me some sort of hope for him. But the detonators being terrible will always hold him back =(
  • Options
    I have used Nute in arena and gw fully geared he hits hard, stealths and then usually crits and stealths again. With the addition of mods his potency can be raised so his thermal detonator sticks, I throw it on a tank and when it goes off it does the highest damage of any td on target and adds splash damage too. He is useful as a leader with Leia, Dengar and Jawas. I rank him as number 2 in scoundrels behind Lando.
  • Nodisintegtations
    226 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My Nute team ranks me 2-10 and only once at 1. But it's so hard to star up Nebit, Leia, and Nute all at the same time. Truthfully, all I count on is Nute to land his detonator move and then he dies shortly after. Leia rocks with his lead and Scavenger, also, with his detonator exploding bomb drop. Teebo acts as stealth cover tank with a little bonus from Nute's stealth lead. Honestly, I am super surprised I have hung in top ranks so long when others surely laugh at such a team.

I'm waiting to see how they perform at the Omega lvl
  • Options
    EA RIP Nute when they fixed his leader skill.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Nodisintegtations
    226 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's pretty easy to see Nute makes for a great stealth lead, and he is so squishy I need him to land is detonator and Scavenger to detonate it, and then peace out Nute lol. Above from what I've said Dengar and that other... I can't think of her name now, Zam, lol would work great with his lead. But I've fought so tooth and nail I'm pretty much using the must have build with him, and without his lead, ouch waste.
  • Nodisintegtations
    226 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The build is Nute, Leia, Nebit, Scavenger, 5th is a you pick but Teebo works fine.

I solved his riddle, holding great rank for thier power, and am looking to see Omega results.
  • Options
    I use him and his potency at gear 8 is 6% so he needs protency because they decided to make detonators a debuff in this game but when they stick and go off, big damage. He cries often and hits hard and is pretty fast. Works in several comps but not used often and I'm sure if they fixed thermals in general and gave nute a small buff he would be used by slot more people.
  • Options
    A guy in my guild uses him and swears by him. He runs mute with Zam and gets 40k of the detonator. He throws and then Zam detonates straight away with her basic. So he's able to take RG almost out in one hit.
  • Stabshimi
    77 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nute is my favorite Star Wars Character so I maxed him out gear 10, maxed omega, and 7 stars EVEN though he is not strong. I have high hopes EA will buff him. I'm working on a stealth team with acolyte teemo leia nute and one more.
  • Options
    Nute Gunray is a slick dude. Maybe they will add Rune Haako eventually. Neimoidians may have been dull but they did have cool names (and headdresses...)
  • Options
    I have a g10 fully maxed Nute with crit damage mods. He's super fast (often gets two attacks before others) and crits almost every time. With Boba lead, he deals at least 6-9k per attack, and his unique and stealth keep him around until the end of the battle.
    When stealth gets some more work, he'll be crazy. Whenever I run him as leader with Teebo as ally leader, I use Lando & Phasma, and their crits & AOE's allow them to attack repeatedly - gaining 100% turn meter on each attack... it's IMPOSSIBLE to lose. If there way some way to get Teebo's leader ability as a passive unique for some toon, he'll be #1. Until then, he's just ok.
  • Options
    He hasn't been the same since his loss against Obama in 2012
  • Options
    Oooohwee. My main gripe about him is how huge his head is when you select him for a battle. It just doesn't look as proportionate as it should. I don't even know how he got that robe on with that huge pumpkin noggin.
  • Options
    Although the revised AOE AI sort of nullifies the idea, I have this dream of running an all-stealth team with Nute, Leia, Dengar, Teebo... And Obi-Wan. OB being the only non-Stealth toon, forcing the opposing AI to target him and potentially provide his on-death buff to the team. Might still build this team out to see how well it works...

iN DarthJarJar | Team Instinct Δ
  • Options
    I'm thinking that an Stealth team with Nute, Leia, Dengar and Teebo would work well with a health/prot stacked Fives. They'd be stealthed and opponents would be forced to target Fives, giving them all speed down for most of the fight. Nute's leadership ups Turn Meter, Nute is fast, Leia is fast, Teebo's alright with some speed in his mods. I'm thinking the attack rate of this team, coupled with Nute's crit leadership bonus plus Leia's crit add, makes this a pretty deadly mix against non-AoE teams. Teebo can smash a taunt, Dengar can give Tenacity Down, squishy players don't get hit because of stealth, Fives takes all the heat while crit monsters go to town. I'm gonna do it!
  • Options
    Nute Gunray is also my favorite character.

They should make a TV-series about him (like Clone Wars etc) and a Movie about him (like they're doing for Han Solo and Boba Fett).

He needs more recognition across the world.

He also needs an option to upgrade him with a Pimp-Cane later on. (Gear XII).

His Thermal Detonator (Called "The One Detonator") should be Unresistable/Unavoidable, Always Stick, Undispellable, and have more power than all the Death Stars combined.

2741820-nute_gunray_swe.jpg
    Nute+Gunray.png
    tumblr_n3f0wydbsB1s6w6foo1_400.gif

tumblr_o5hl7tyAFu1rws5bbo1_500.gif