crit chance vs crit damage

For the triangle mod you have the option to add 36 crit damage or 12 crit chance. Has anyone done the math for which is better in terms of overall expected damage? I would think for gs the crit chance would be better since that helps him get tm.
I tried the math once on rey. And for rey crit chance gave a higher expected damage for her special but crit damage a higher expected damage for her basic. Anyone know definitively with explanations? Thanks

Replies

• Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your crit chance otherwise. I haven't done any math, but I would guess if you already have high (50%?) crit chance, that crit damage is better.
  • Options
    In most cases crit damage is better. I know with Rey it is certainly better. There are a few characters who benefit more from crit chance, but most do not.

(I can't speak on GS as I do not have him though)
  • Options
    Crit damage triangle tends to be better for your dps toons. I can't think of any toon where this isn't the case-- but I would appreciate the input if anyone else knows.

Only time I favor crit chance triangles is for my clone team to improve my chances at resetting codys 212 cooldown
  • Options
    Multiply the Crit chance times the Crit damage. Use the one that gives you a better product.
  • scuba
    14066 posts Member
    Options
    Crit damage is better for most because crit chance can be obtained from a secondary stat on all shapes.
    For some characters that abilities get better when they crit, GS, lando, Aayla, rebels under wedge lead, I personally use 70% as my mark. if I can get crit chance close to 70% with mod sets, unique, leader abilities and secondary stats I will use the crit damage.
  • Options
    Snake2 wrote: »
    I think it depends on your crit chance otherwise. I haven't done any math, but I would guess if you already have high (50%?) crit chance, that crit damage is better.

Yes. I asked a world of Warcraft player this very question the other day. He explained that both are great, but if you have 50% chance to crit 180-216% damage, that is way better than 60% chance to crit 150% damage. Both are close to working half the time, one does much more damage to the opponent
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Crit damage is better for most because crit chance can be obtained from a secondary stat on all shapes.
    For some characters that abilities get better when they crit, GS, lando, Aayla, rebels under wedge lead, I personally use 70% as my mark. if I can get crit chance close to 70% with mod sets, unique, leader abilities and secondary stats I will use the crit damage.

Yes
  • Options
    Crit damage goes up by 24% with a 36 mod. 36/150
    In order for the 12 crit chance to increase by 24% the base crit chance would be 50.
    So if my primitive math is right...anyone with a crit chance less than 50 would benefit from the 12 crit chance more than the 36 crit damage. Is my math flawed?
  • scuba
    14066 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jomamaphat wrote: »
    Crit damage goes up by 24% with a 36 mod. 36/150
    In order for the 12 crit chance to increase by 24% the base crit chance would be 50.
    So if my primitive math is right...anyone with a crit chance less than 50 would benefit from the 12 crit chance more than the 36 crit damage. Is my math flawed?

Also have to consider if going with crit chance mods can add 15% from mod sets, and extra from secondary.

6 crit chance mods can add.
    15%+ crit chance and 36% crit damage
    Or
    27%+ crit chance.
  • Options
    Bumping this thread.

What would people suggest for Luke and Leia? I currently have crit chance on Leia and crit damage on Luke. I am kinda leaning towards giving Luke a crit chance for the turnmeter gain.
  • Options
    O8c8h80 wrote: »
    Bumping this thread.

What would people suggest for Luke and Leia? I currently have crit chance on Leia and crit damage on Luke. I am kinda leaning towards giving Luke a crit chance for the turnmeter gain.

Not sure about Luke but you definitely just want 4 crit damage 2 crit chance and a crit damage triangle on Leia.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Base 50% crit +, crit damage is better, but for characters that gain special effects from critting...GS, CS, RP, Ani, Aayla, Sid etc...there is no discernible way to factor that in.

For those toons, I would always take crit chance

With 1 exception...Lando. U need him to bring the pain and if he is at 40%+ and only needs 2/5 crits to refresh his aoe, crit damage all the way.
  • Options
    Dependeth upon the hero, and the team to someth extenteth.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Zooey wrote: »
    Bumping this thread.

Not sure about Luke but you definitely just want 4 crit damage 2 crit chance and a crit damage triangle on Leia.

That's what I have on both of em, 4 crit damage, 2 crit chance. I kinda like having that crit chance on Leia. Both Luke and Leia get crit chance up on there own fairly often and Leai gets crit damage from her stealth. Also I run Luke with Boba so he gets the leader bonus as well. I think Ill switch their triangle mods around and try some tests against the rancor.
  • Options
    Zooey wrote: »
    Bumping this thread.

That's what I have on both of em, 4 crit damage, 2 crit chance. I kinda like having that crit chance (Triangle mod) on Leia. Both Luke and Leia get crit chance up on there own fairly often and Leai gets crit damage from her stealth. Also I run Luke with Boba so he gets the leader bonus as well. I think Ill switch their triangle mods around and try some tests against the rancor.

• Options
    Okay hear me out...

Crit dmg is totally better when you have a high base Crit chance to begin with, or a lead that boosts Crit chance. I.E. hk/boba/sid leads

Crit chance is better when you don't have that chance to begin with...or you have a slower toon that needs that hit to count. For instance, savage oppress... he just used special to finish off a toon and gets his Crit dmg/chance buffs on top of his ou/du buffs... his turn comes up, let's just say he is attacking royal guard, he misses, that was a 10k+ attack wasted... Crit chance woulda been a better option over Crit dmg. I know oppress could have hit for over 15k+ dmg if Crit dmg moded, but I'd settle for 10k if I knew it would hit.

Personally I use Crit chance up on my IG-100 AND B-2. When they hit it's almost always a crit.
    Factoring in the 30% from HK lead, and 25% from JE, and the boost from critical chance mods they both have a 85%+ critical chance, since HK is lead and they gain that game changing 50% turn meter on crits, chance trumps dmg. My B-2 is lucky to break 2k dmg per hit but since there all critical he goes fast, real fast...like 3-5 times faster than my 254 speed JE....that's FAST...and IG-100...OMG he is the secret weapon of mass destruction... I have a set of dmg mods and chance mods on him... he crits almost every time and crits for 8-10k pending ou buff...he is amazing and has single-handedly wiped out 3-4 toons when rng is in his favor...with the chit chance cranked up on him (and a decent speed boost from mods, 151 on mine) he is the fastest toon in game with HK lead, faster than my JE and B-2...sometimes he will use his aoe twice before HK gets his second attack in (as in the free attack from using hk's aoe, meaning 100 got 6 turns in b4 hk got his 1st Turn and free turn).

Then on the other hand...I have my Leia critical dmg moded (other 2 health mods on arrow and triangle speed and crit dmg primarys) her critical dmg the way I use her is 291%... let me explain.
    I like using Boba lead with her...+50%, she stealths, +25% her mods add 66% on top of base 150%...
    I love using Boba lead with leia/lando/fives and a tank (usually poe)

So ultimately I think chance has most use overall, but do NOT underestimate the power of the crit dmg side of the mods!