What is "Water Army"?

3Edward9
486 posts Member
edited September 2016
Water army or internet water army refers to those who give good reviews of a product or a service in exchange for money or other benefits. Their number can be in thousands and their fake reviews can be very difficult to detect because they are just as real as any review from actual consumers.

A famous example is the Xbox One which is in direct competition with the PS 4. In order to boost its sales, Microsoft hired the Water Army to give good reviews of its Xbox One which later became known to the media and the public.

Water Army is a well-organised group and they could be anywhere. They have been working with many big companies in multiple platforms. Therefore, it is no longer trustworthy to read the reviews online because fake reviews are also accompanied with photos and locations which make them look very authentic.
Post edited by 3Edward9 on

Replies

• Options
    And, this is relevant how to this game?
  • Options
    Lillegre wrote: »
    And, this is relevant how to this game?

And who cares since same applies to negative reviews you can choose if you trust something or not yourself or w/e. ;)
  • Options
    Interesting info m8... Hey and if the water army does attack I'm sure you can turn your tinfoil hat upside down and make a boat for the flood :)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Wait, but I read everything on the Internet is true.

I read it on the Internet so it must be true.

Also, *holds up sign*
    'Will work for crystals'
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Also, *holds up sign*
    'Will work for crystals'

Thank you, this made my morning :)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    for arguments sake let's say this is happening with swgoh. Many, if not all, forum members already installed the game and have played the game enough to form their own oppinion. They either like it or they don't, not much a review from a paid fake "customer" can do about that. Personally i never read reviews before i install an app/game, but i can imagine some people do. Possitive reviews will result in those people being more likely to downlaod swgoh. Obviously this is a good thing for us who are allready playing the game. Chances are the new players actually like the game, regardless of whether the review was fake or not. We (atleast most of us on this forum) like this game, so it would make sence new players would also like the game. We also won't be decieved, since we have already formed our own oppinion. I see no downside for us established players if ea/cg is using a "water army".

Save water, drink champagne!
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why it's important to find a reviewer you trust instead of anonymous reviews
  • Options
    Wait, you're saying Xbox is in competition with PS4?
  • Options
    What's an xbox
  • Options
    I own both platforms and it all depends on which one you like. Neither really out performs the other PS4 does have slightly better graphics in some games. But I love the Xbox controller over PS4 but with technology I can use either controller with both consoles.
  • Options
    Apple has been cracking down on fake reviewers, but it's not as easy as it sounds. One way to do it is to tie actual trusted iTunes accounts and gameplay to the reviewer.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    So what you're saying is we may be seeing a Water Army bought and paid by for by whales like Team Instinct to hold leverage over the devs by using a reverse theme, one starring the app and leaving negative reviews? OK good to know.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    is a water army not called a Navy? just a thought.
    Lost in the 20th century
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Also, *holds up sign*
    'Will work for crystals'

Lol mee too!!!!!