Offense and Speed Mod Challenge Difficulty

Prev13
benacrow
2700 posts Member
edited September 2016
Just wondering here, has anyone been able to 3* the offense or speed mod challenges with anything less than 5 7* g9+ fully modded FO or Resistance toons? If so, please share how you did it.

I've tried countless times with both of these, and both challenges are basically the same in terms of what enemies you face, and Rey is the final boss for both because why not make it even harder. Every time I try, my weakest toons get targeted down first while the high gear ones never take any hits until the last node or so. I've got Rey, Phasma and Kylo maxed or near maxed from both factions, and the rest of them (both FO and Res toons) are roughly g8 5-7* and 5* health mods.

The only way I can see myself completing either of these challenges 3* is if I have a full team of 7* g9+ with how hard I get hit, but it's simply not possible to invest gear into each of these 10 toons (combined) and still try to be competitive in arena, let alone get enough gear pieces fast enough on a FTP budget.

Tips? Help? Criticisms? Call me a noob? I'm obviously doing something wrong and need some guidance here.

Edit: BTW my Rey is 230 speed 2900 physical damage so I think she'd be able to solo this with a decent supporting cast...
FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind

Replies

• Options
    having more dps will help.
    FOtp, resistance pilot, resistance trooper are all great dps. Pretty much a kill dangerous foes and use taunt when needed (for resistance), resistance are slightly easier because u can taunt to save low hp toons.

You probably just need to gear up another dps some to 3* this. ie fotp and resistance pilot
  • Options
    can't survive t1 speed mod challenge, guess just waiting for cap lv 100 update then. #deepcasual
    the cake is a lie
  • Options
    The key for me was building up Protection/Health on RT and Poe and not Taunting until Stage 4.
  • Options
    I did both of the challenges with only Rey, Phasma FOTP and Kylo at g9+

All toons are 7* but FOO, he's also the only g7 toon in the group. I did have all health mods with high protection secondaries on the low health toons and was pretty lucky, Rey's flurry brought FOO deep into red because I had offense down on her.

In general I would say with all 6* or 7* and level 70+, g8+ you should be able to clear at least if luck is on your side. Just make sure to give hp to those who need it and give crit damage to Rey and FOTP to get rid of opponents faster
  • Options
    I have 4 7* Reisistance (Rey, Poe, Finn, RP) with a minimum level of 73 and g8+ (Finn is g9 and Rey is g10), and a 6* RT (72, g8) and I just beat it, though barely (had not tried since they first came out). I am unwilling to try again, but I think if I had not accidentally put Rey as leader (I have not had coffee yet) I could have 3*'d it with my team.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    I have 4 7* Reisistance (Rey, Poe, Finn, RP) with a minimum level of 73 and g8+ (Finn is g9 and Rey is g10), and a 6* RT (72, g8) and I just beat it, though barely (had not tried since they first came out). I am unwilling to try again, but I think if I had not accidentally put Rey as leader (I have not had coffee yet) I could have 3*'d it with my team.

The worst decisions I make in Swgoh are done before I have my coffee. I fully understand this.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    benacrow wrote: »
    Just wondering here, has anyone been able to 3* the offense or speed mod challenges with anything less than 5 7* g9+ fully modded FO or Resistance toons? If so, please share how you did it.

I've tried countless times with both of these, and both challenges are basically the same in terms of what enemies you face, and Rey is the final boss for both because why not make it even harder. Every time I try, my weakest toons get targeted down first while the high gear ones never take any hits until the last node or so. I've got Rey, Phasma and Kylo maxed or near maxed from both factions, and the rest of them (both FO and Res toons) are roughly g8 5-7* and 5* health mods.

The only way I can see myself completing either of these challenges 3* is if I have a full team of 7* g9+ with how hard I get hit, but it's simply not possible to invest gear into each of these 10 toons (combined) and still try to be competitive in arena, let alone get enough gear pieces fast enough on a FTP budget.

Tips? Help? Criticisms? Call me a noob? I'm obviously doing something wrong and need some guidance here.

Edit: BTW my Rey is 230 speed 2900 physical damage so I think she'd be able to solo this with a decent supporting cast...

I have three starred both at tier four. And basically agree completely w your post. No way on hardest tier till maybe I have a maxed Finn. That will be in 2 years. They are too hard. Only thing missing in your post is that it will also take RNG.

• UoJCAM
    213 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My Finn and RT are only 6* and I 3* T3 without a problem. Just make sure everyone us modded correctly. Rey by herself at the end is easy. Just make sure everyone has 10k+ Health and Protection.
  • Options
    I did it with G10 Rey 7*, G9 Poe 7*, G8 Finn 6*, G8 Resi Pilot 7*, G7 Resi Trooper 6*...

I just swapped all my mods of my arena team for tier 3 then swapped them back... All the mods were health ones at the time..
  • Options
    I was able to 3 star the speed mod challenge yesterday using G9 lvl 80 7* Poe (L), maxed Rey, G8 7* lvl 77 RP, G8 6* lvl 64 RT, and G7 5* lvl 60 Finn. All have some level of mods with Rey's being top end and Finn and RT having a mishmash of upgraded and non-upgraded MKI-MKV mods. Finn's stun was incredibly helpful since it prevented final boss Rey from going more than once.
  • Options
    Cheer up, you need much less for Speed mod challenges!

you can do it with Resistance squad power 32k+ (Or 30k pre-mod). I had :
    3x7* + 2x6*,
    3 gear 8 + 1 gear 9 + gear 10 Rey
    Level 65-70, only Rey @ lvl 80
    Effectively all you need is a stun on Boss Rey. Check 2nd special ability of Finn, put potency mods on him and you'll be fine. Potency on "exposers" helps immensely too.

Haven't done Offense (First order) yet, as my FOO is low gear.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Speed challenge I was able to do with 5* g7 Finn and RT, maxed out RP and Rey, and a gear 9 6* Poe
  • Options
    Managed resistance with 5 star Finn and RT.
    The first order one is much harder to 3 star. Will have to get FOST to g9 (all others are g10+)
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    I 3 starred the speed challenge with
    maxxed rey, gear 9 6* poe lvl 73, gear 8 7* resistance pilot lvl 65, gear 8 5* finn lvl 65, gear 8 5* resistance trooper lvl 64. they all had mods of differing tiers.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/vita/collection/?f=resistance

jawas with this
    FUqyEu3.jpg
  • Options
    3*'d tier 3 of speed mod challenge with a 27k power team, plus mods. My weakest toons was Finn - 5*, lvl 52, g7. Next weakest was RT - 6*, lvl 65, g7. Maxed Rey was my only toon above lvl 70

Still working on the offense mod challenge
    IGN: Faceless
    Clan: FTB Overseers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm most surprised by my inability to do the FO one because I would literally have to take toons to g9 to 3* at this point. I've got Phasma g10, Kylo g9, then FOO FOST FOTP at g8, only FOST and FOTP aren't 7*. They've all got my best 5* health mods granting h/p and still can't do it.

For resistance, it's similar except Rey is g10, Poe Finn g8, RP RT g7 or so because of holo projectors, but they also have my best h/p 5* mods to help them survive...help it did not.
    djvita wrote: »
    I 3 starred the speed challenge with
    maxxed rey, gear 9 6* poe lvl 73, gear 8 7* resistance pilot lvl 65, gear 8 5* finn lvl 65, gear 8 5* resistance trooper lvl 64. they all had mods of differing tiers.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/vita/collection/?f=resistance

jawas with this
    FUqyEu3.jpg

Yeah that's just disappointing the jawa one is sooooo much easier when offense and speed are so much harder.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    offence and speed have FO and resistance as opponents, very high HP, my rey barely oneshot the weak ones, flurry on the high hp on node 3 would only take down 40%. all you gotta do is survive the first 4 waves. last wave is just one boss.
    a guildmate said he had an easier time with offence than speed, but hes a whale so he has them all maxxed
    https://swgoh.gg/u/jezro/collection/?f=first-order
    https://swgoh.gg/u/jezro/collection/?f=resistance
  • Options
    djvita wrote: »
    offence and speed have FO and resistance as opponents, very high HP, my rey barely oneshot the weak ones, flurry on the high hp on node 3 would only take down 40%. all you gotta do is survive the first 4 waves. last wave is just one boss.
    a guildmate said he had an easier time with offence than speed, but hes a whale so he has them all maxxed
    https://swgoh.gg/u/jezro/collection/?f=first-order
    https://swgoh.gg/u/jezro/collection/?f=resistance

So at least it's doable with g9s lol. I still don't like how they made Rey the boss for both challenges, esp the resistance one. No reason why the resistance would fight Rey with Rey.
  • Options
    Star level doesn't mean much anymore as the boost provided by staring up is minimal compared to what mods give. Rather than wasting the time and cantina energy on getting Fin from 5* to 7*, you're much better off farming for outstanding mods. This challenge can be done with all 5* toons (although most will have at least Rey at 7*) provided the gear level (7+) and mods are up to par.
  • Options
    Star level doesn't mean much anymore as the boost provided by staring up is minimal compared to what mods give. Rather than wasting the time and cantina energy on getting Fin from 5* to 7*, you're much better off farming for outstanding mods. This challenge can be done with all 5* toons (although most will have at least Rey at 7*) provided the gear level (7+) and mods are up to par.

The * rating doesn't really matter for me, but my mods are very good on all of my resistance and FO toons, so that is also not the issue. The issue is how much gear they all need, and how I can't afford to put such important gear items on the lesser toons since we're so strapped for gear.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    i know that feel i went for minimal investment. i saved 40 bucks not putting furnaces on rp and rt.
    i was going to bring them to gear 9 since rey would him them in the last phase but i got lucky and she hit finn bringing him to yellow, so i was able to 3*
  • Options
    I believe the most important toons are Poe and Rey. Focus on gearing Poe and modding his speed way up, with increased potency. The rest should be fine if they are G7-G8 with mods that give protection/health boosts (I have a few mods that add ~2k health/protection on their own).
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Rey gear X lvl 80 7*
    Poe gear VIII lvl 80 7*
    Res Pilot gear VIII lvl 80 7*
    Finn gear VI lvl 68 5*
    Res Trooper gear VI lvl 67 5*

Put my arena mods into them, took 2 tries to 3* the final challenge
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    Rey gear X lvl 80 7*
    Poe gear VIII lvl 80 7*
    Res Pilot gear VIII lvl 80 7*
    Finn gear VI lvl 68 5*
    Res Trooper gear VI lvl 67 5*

Put my arena mods into them, took 2 tries to 3* the final challenge

I used nearly the same geared team here and not even close to ever 3*ing
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I used 5* health mods with secondary speed all over the place if that matters. And 30 speed arrows.
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    I used 5* health mods with secondary speed all over the place if that matters. And 30 speed arrows.

What gear did you have? I just can't seem to 3* or even come close without having all g9 guys, despite my max mods on them
  • Options
    FOTP, Phasma, FOO, Kylo, FOST. FOST is the weak link at G8 5*. FOO and Kylo are G8, Phasma is maxed, FOTP is G9. All 7* except FOST.

I threw "junk" mods on them (leftovers) and although these are decent sets, mostly health and defence (so nothing zany like potency set on Kylo Ren) I get absolutely mashed. Clever AI though - every time, FOST gets singled out and targeted, then FOO, then randomly the decent ones. I cleared it, but only 1* as FOST and FOO had been downed.

My next step is to put my arena team mods on them and try it that way. But I had no problems with the Rebel, Empire, Jedi and Scoundrel ones.
  • Options
    KyleKatarn wrote: »
    FOTP, Phasma, FOO, Kylo, FOST. FOST is the weak link at G8 5*. FOO and Kylo are G8, Phasma is maxed, FOTP is G9. All 7* except FOST.

I threw "junk" mods on them (leftovers) and although these are decent sets, mostly health and defence (so nothing zany like potency set on Kylo Ren) I get absolutely mashed. Clever AI though - every time, FOST gets singled out and targeted, then FOO, then randomly the decent ones. I cleared it, but only 1* as FOST and FOO had been downed.

My next step is to put my arena team mods on them and try it that way. But I had no problems with the Rebel, Empire, Jedi and Scoundrel ones.

That's pretty much the same team I run but I have arena-worthy mods on them and it makes no difference. The AI still targets the weak ones first and Phasma is rarely ever touched until she's the only one left.

No idea why this one is so much harder, but the only way I can see myself completing it is to take each toon to g9...
  • Cor
    124 posts Member
    Options
    I did speed with lvl 80 7* G10 Rey and Poe. Resistance Pilot and Trooper were 7* but only G7 and Finn was G7 and 5* - these three at lvl 70. I cleared it 3* without problem. With Poe taunt and Rey speed and dps all went smothly.

Offense was a different story. Tried with three lvl 80 toons: FOTP G11 7*, Phasma G10 7*, Kylo G9 7* and two lvl 70 toons FOST G7 5*and FOO G7 5*. No problem with passing the challenge but only 1* - FOST and FOO were always focused first and they were usually dead in round 3/5. I hoped to do 3* without upgrading them to G8 or G9, but I believe it is a must for them to survive
  • Options
    Cor wrote: »
    I did speed with lvl 80 7* G10 Rey and Poe. Resistance Pilot and Trooper were 7* but only G7 and Finn was G7 and 5* - these three at lvl 70. I cleared it 3* without problem. With Poe taunt and Rey speed and dps all went smothly.

Offense was a different story. Tried with three lvl 80 toons: FOTP G11 7*, Phasma G10 7*, Kylo G9 7* and two lvl 70 toons FOST G7 5*and FOO G7 5*. No problem with passing the challenge but only 1* - FOST and FOO were always focused first and they were usually dead in round 3/5. I hoped to do 3* without upgrading them to G8 or G9, but I believe it is a must for them to survive

Yup I've got all FO ones up to g8+ and the weakest are always targeted. Yes I can beat it, but no where close to 3* as well.