Let's have a talk about Rex lead

2Next

Replies

• MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am the reverse. I love facing Rex Lead teams. I know I am going to win and just giddy about it. Bring in a stun (RG/EP/Han Solo/All 3) and you win. He never gets he tenacity buff off...Or if he does there are already 2 people dead and its mop up time
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I wonder what happens when everyone has him, though... what is the endgame? Does it turn into the whose rex is faster game? Or the everyone can beat everyone else on offense game?

Rex lead is good because it can counter speed, to some extent. Sure, I can attack rex first. But can I kill him before he acts? Two crits, and he is up bat.... so it is very rng. If I fail, he pull his awesome individual ability and now anni and fac and the rest of the crew will buff themselves with defense up and be untouchable with all the speed in the world. Cuz your damage dished to received ratio just fell thru the ocean floor.

Even with the fast single target hitters, kill8ng rex is a crapshoot. They have to hit first, and kill him without critting... or they have to wound him without landing a debuff so he can be finish3d with an aoe or after detaunt. FailING that u just have to get lucky.
  • Quicksilver
    1175 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here's the "problem" with Rex lead:

The current arena isn't only about speed, but raw power. You have Anakin with the health of a tank, and two of the strongest attacks in the entire game. To kill him quickly, critical attacks are pretty much necessary. You use a critical attack on him with Rex lead, and his entire team gains turn meter. Do an AoE with critical attacks, his entire team is pretty much guaranteed to take a turn.

With mods most at the top of the arena have their teams modded for critical chance. High critical chance against a Rex lead team is almost a death sentence. There are several Rex led teams at the top of my shard who stay there. The leader ability is by far the strongest, most overwhelming ability in the entire game at the moment. Anyone who says otherwise obviously hasn't come up against strong Rex teams that are full of health and crushing AoE attacks.

how is this a bad thing? you think people should be able to just slap on some crit chance mods and expect to be able to beat every team in arena with those? heaven forbid they need to change their tactics or mods a bit based on the different leaders they are facing!

and again I face very strong top 5 rex lead teams, with and without my rex lead, and I have no problem beating them every day, are you sure your arena team is good enough? cause rex lead is very beatable by anyone who cares to develop a good enough team

to me this whole thread just seems like a "wah I dont have rex, nerf him so things are easier for me without me having to actually do work or play the game how its meant to be played"
  • WhaleKiller1
    517 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    I wonder what happens when everyone has him, though... what is the endgame? Does it turn into the whose rex is faster game? Or the everyone can beat everyone else on offense game?

Rex lead is good because it can counter speed, to some extent. Sure, I can attack rex first. But can I kill him before he acts? Two crits, and he is up bat.... so it is very rng. If I fail, he pull his awesome individual ability and now anni and fac and the rest of the crew will buff themselves with defense up and be untouchable with all the speed in the world.

Killing Rex first has nothing to do with his leader ability. He's not even the one you need to kill first. You need to get Lando, Anakin, EP, etc. since the turn meter gain will help them destroy your team in record speed.

Unless you put together a team with few criticals and peck away at them, hoping to get lucky, you need to pray for good RNG.
  • Options
    Another Rex plus. He was actually worth the price of admission when gambling and vaulting up repeatedly to buy the chromers to get him! Wish I could say the same about Echo, Cody, Fisto, Leia (was good until mods), etc..........

Good article!
  • Options
    Every time I give someone else L I realize how much Rex makes a difference. Of course on defense every team is beatable, but on offense he is anti-everything. Name one team that Rex + 4 can't beat. And yeah combined with SF it's just so easy to win on offense. I don't think he needs a nerf, rather other synergies should be created. My shard has 4 teams in top 10 with Rex sf combo, so it makes no sense for me to change my team, the Rex's will roll ANY other team I could make anytime they want.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ig88, lol. Worst counter ever suggested. 50 percent chance to block rex, minus tenacity check... so 25% chance to block rex.... 100% chance to land a debuff on someone and fill rexs turn meter.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »

Rex lead is good because it can counter speed, to some extent. Sure, I can attack rex first. But can I kill him before he acts? Two crits, and he is up bat.... so it is very rng. If I fail, he pull his awesome individual ability and now anni and fac and the rest of the crew will buff themselves with defense up and be untouchable with all the speed in the world.

Killing Rex first has nothing to do with his leader ability. He's not even the one you need to kill first. You need to get Lando, Anakin, EP, etc. since the turn meter gain will help them destroy your team in record speed.

Unless you put together a team with few criticals and peck away at them, hoping to get lucky, you need to pray for good RNG.

The baddest rex leads on my shard don't have ep AND anni AND lando. Maybe in that case... the rex lead I beat have one or the other. U need to be able to debuff (let alone detaunt) fac (and possibly 5s or rg) or u will get slaughtered. EP as non lead, meh. Leave him be and roll the dice. Rex must die for his squad discipline. Giving every tank tenacity up and defense up (I think fac gives this?) and they give tm on every crit they take, that's why rex must die. Anni, also meh. Without his crit/offense lead, his AOE doesn't demolish u, nor landos first one. So I guess it depends, tanky rex lead team kill rex. Aoe team, maybe not so urgent.

It does have to do with his leadership. If u allow squad discipline, a tanky rex team is gonna dish out more than they receive. And it doesn't hardly matter how hard and fast ur dps is.
  • Options
    P2P Rex. F2P B2.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Sandybard wrote: »
    You realize that non-clones only get half of his leadership benefit, right?
    Yes. I run Rex all the time. 75 turn meter (7.5%) per crit is massive.

His leadership is roughly 10-20 speed. Per crit. For everyone. Twice that if you have a clone (but in the current meta you don't).

U may not, I finish top 3 daily on a Nov. shard w/

Rex (L)
    CS
    Echo
    Ani
    Poe

The tm gains from echos assists, the aoe tm reduction from CS and his mad gains have him doing that a lot. Ani boosting the damage and they all get to go 1st thx to Poe. Once CS does his reduction, a couple of 'em get to go again. It's not what everyone else plays which is why I like it.
  • Options
    He is very strong and unrivaled as a leader. No one else even comes close to how useful his lead is, not to mention his utility in general.

Any whale who has Rex and hasn't been running him as lead since they got him is a big dumb whale. I don't care what excuses there are, but if I had Rex maxed I'd be running him as lead since the day I got him.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Options
    benacrow wrote: »

Any whale who has Rex and hasn't been running him as lead since they got him is a big dumb whale. I don't care what excuses there are, but if I had Rex maxed I'd be running him as lead since the day I got him.

Umm, maybe some folks like to play with other toons? Maybe there are more ways to play than the way you want? Maybe the world is dumb if they don't agree with you? Maybe... Forget it. Have fun with the game.
  • Options

Umm, maybe some folks like to play with other toons? Maybe there are more ways to play than the way you want? Maybe the world is dumb if they don't agree with you? Maybe... Forget it. Have fun with the game.

Just sayin...there's no one better. I ran with Phasma for 8 months because that was the best I had, but I didn't have Rex.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Landalash
    40 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    If he was just a leader than that would be one thing. Obi Won is just a leader (with a smattering of support). But Rex is also an awesome attacker and has the best support special in the game (dispelling all debuffs and providing tenacity up for a ridiculous number of turns).

Making him one of the best characters in the game AND making him hands down the best leader of the game is just ridiculous. Has been for a while. If he was not limited to P2W then no one would be able to run any droids, anybody who throws a thermal detonator, stun teams, etc.

The only reason Rex owners seem to stop using him is from getting bored with winning so easily.

spoken like someone who doesnt have rex, if you did you would realize he does not guarantee easy wins, he can be stunned with scoundrel han, ability blocked by 88 or old ben if they are behind sthan, like any character he has counters and instead of crying for him to get nerfed why dont you try and get characters that can counter him like everyone else who beats rex teams on a regular basis

This
  • Options

Just sayin...there's no one better. I ran with Phasma for 8 months because that was the best I had, but I didn't have Rex.

I run Rex but I'm soon going to go HK and droids. I love the way droids mow down any competition. Is HK better? Yes if you plan to play droids. My droids are almost ready. JE's modded for 260 speed, now to get those crit damage and chance mods on to B2,100, 88 and 47. 10 months of playing and I've used Dooku, Phasma and 88 at various times for leader and made no 1 consistently. I've even run with Teebo for a short while.

I agree that Rex is a great toon but I don't think I'm dumb because I want to play droids now. I'm guessing it was just an off the cuff remark so we're cool.
  • Options
    Whales on my server all use him as lead. Not so good for me, counters my EP.
  • Options
    To be honest I didnt read it all. But Rex is not a problem at all for me. He starts to be stunned and dead pretty soon.
    Rrraarrwhhgwwr - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    Sandybard wrote: »
    You realize that non-clones only get half of his leadership benefit, right?
    Yes. I run Rex all the time. 75 turn meter (7.5%) per crit is massive.

His leadership is roughly 10-20 speed. Per crit. For everyone. Twice that if you have a clone (but in the current meta you don't).

U may not, I finish top 3 daily on a Nov. shard w/

Rex (L)
    CS
    Echo
    Ani
    Poe

The tm gains from echos assists, the aoe tm reduction from CS and his mad gains have him doing that a lot. Ani boosting the damage and they all get to go 1st thx to Poe. Once CS does his reduction, a couple of 'em get to go again. It's not what everyone else plays which is why I like it.
    I'm not doubting the efficacy of this team, not the enjoyment it gives you, but I wonder what the mods look like for you vs the other members of your shard.
    Because I'm not sure I see this team crushing other teams with the same (or equivalent) levels of mods, just because Poe is a full 10 sped behind Wiggs, 8 behind an Ackbar Han, and Sun Fac is just no fun.
    Or I see everyone having full tm immediately after your first Ani aoe. And then it's the gunfight in a broom closet issue with Rex v Rex teams.
  • Options
    The best way to defeat Rex teams is not use AoE characters. For example Dooku, Rey, GS, QGJ and RG is a good team against Rex teams, because Rey and GS have the best damage to a single target and QGJ is needed to dispel taunts, and Dooku also is good attacker and give evasion, offense up on evasion and will be attacking QGJ continuosly, then RG will activate the taunt if is needed and is useful to stun characters, so will be an easy win.

Anyway very soon the Rex teams will not be very useful in defense against Wedge and Biggs teams, because a Biggs and Wedge with good speed mods, like 100 speed (I have +93 speed and I'm F2P, so is not difficult to get), then with Lando as leader Wedge and Biggs will have a speed of around 270, it means that will be very easy attack Rex first of all, Biggs is around 12-14k damage, same for Wedge (12-14k) and the second assist maybe 10-12k, in most of cases the damage of Biggs will be around 35k, so Rex will die, and if he survive then will be the turn of Wedge, that with the AoE will kill Rex, he not have any chance to survive to these 2 attacks.

Also will be easy have Han Solo in the team and stun Palpatine at the beginning, for example, so if I'm playing with Lando, Wedge, Biggs, Han Solo and SHan I will have Rex killed and Palpatine stunned, if the enemy have Rex, Palpatine, QGJ, SHan and Lando, then doesn't matter if SHan taunt and QGJ play first than my SHan, because then when my SHan taunt I will use Lando, Han and Biggs and Wedge again, probably SHan will die, or will die in the next Lando AoE, then maybe the enemy Papatine will stun my team but doesn't matter, after it I will be able to use the special of Biggs again and kill his Lando, so will be very easy finish the battle with 5 characters or only losing SHan.

Rex is nice now against teams with Lando, SHan, Palpatine, QGJ and IG88/Ben/Phasma, because when this team use the AoE all the team gain 37% TM and Rex gain 75% TM, so if you use a fast SHan and then Ben to block abilities and you get block Rex, but you use Lando in the next turn, then Rex will gain 75% TM and will be ready to dispel all the debuff, so is better use characters with good dps, but without AoE, as Rey, GS, QGJ, IG86, and also use Dooku as leader is nice to have evasion, offense at evade and to block and stun the enemy QGJ, then RG is better than SHan, also Yoda is nice option instead of Dooku, to give tenacity up to all the team, useful against Palpatine, and in this case is not needed kill Rex first, the best is kill Lando first, then kill Palpatine, then QGJ, then Rex, and finally SHan, usin QGJ, Yoda, GS, Rey and RG, or Dooku, QGJ, GS, Rey and RG is enough good against Rex teams, and if they have SHan and Sun Fac in the same team, then use double dispeller, as Teebo as leader and QGJ, or simply use Palpatine and apply the basic to Sun Fac.

So currently the Rex teams are easy to defeat using the previous teams, before the AoE meta, as the Dooku teams with Rey and GS, and now with Wedge and Biggs the Rex teams also will be very easy to defeat killing Rex first, so probably most of teams that now are using Rex will change their leader to a Lando or Wedge leader.