Thank You for the Great Event

Prev13456
First let me start by saying this is indeed a sincere thank you and congratulations to EA and CG on a fantastic fun filled 3 day event.

Was this Tournament perfect in its delivery or execution? No. Did it finally do what this game has lacked since the start of guilds? Yes. With the exception of Raids where you jointly play albeit separately from your guild mates, this tournament finally delivered an aspect to this game that I and I'm sure many others have been wanting. This tournament allowed you to play with your guild brothers and sisters towards mutual benefit. After all if you can't work jointly to attain better rewards whilst denying them to others what is the point of a guild? I certainly want my guild mates to get better gear, materials and shards drops than some random from Joe Schmo guild. And before you judge, we all fought our way to the top on day one of the event solo. We utilized teamwork to stay there. That's what smart team players do.

For those of you that took umbrage to the use of teamwork and say exploit, I say sour grapes. After all if you had managed to find a way to team up with a guild mate you would have. But since you couldn't, you say exploit and cheat.

I and one of my guild mates both got a 6 star ShoreTrooper and 3 others got him at 5 and 4 stars with some pretty awesome loot to go with. This was the most exciting, fun filled and intense 3 days since I started playing this game in November.

So once again thanks for the fun event. I look forward to its return and other such events. Although I'm sure they will be somewhat differently structured and delivered than this one was, that's fine. We will endeavor to do our best and have fun with this game we love and guild mates that have become great friends over these many months.

Let the hate, discontent and flaming begin.

Replies

• danrussoa
    964 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Disagree. I wouldn't team up with anyone to exploit the game. The issue isn't an exploit, it's the person who tries to justify using it..........

Agree, the rewards and event were great. A few tweaks and off to the next one.
  • Options
    danrussoa wrote: »
    Disagree. I wouldn't team up with anyone to exploit the game. The issue isn't an exploit, it's the person who tries to justify using it..........
    +1

You colluded with your guild to gain unfair advantage over other players by abusing the ability to change defense squads to allow easy wins in a way not intended by the tournament. It's an exploit, and you should at minimum receive no rewards for making use of it.

Luckily for you and those like you, EA seems to have little interest in punishing unethical play.
  • Boxandthefuzz
    362 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wetwurx wrote: »
    First let me start by saying this is indeed a sincere thank you and congratulations to EA and CG on a fantastic fun filled 3 day event.

Was this Tournament perfect in its delivery or execution? No. Did it finally do what this game has lacked since the start of guilds? Yes. With the exception of Raids where you jointly play albeit separately from your guild mates, this tournament finally delivered an aspect to this game that I and I'm sure many others have been wanting. This tournament allowed you to play with your guild brothers and sisters towards mutual benefit. After all if you can't work jointly to attain better rewards whilst denying them to others what is the point of a guild? I certainly want my guild mates to get better gear, materials and shards drops than some random from Joe Schmo guild. And before you judge, we all fought our way to the top on day one of the event solo. We utilized teamwork to stay there. That's what smart team players do.

For those of you that took umbrage to the use of teamwork and say exploit, I say sour grapes. After all if you had managed to find a way to team up with a guild mate you would have. But since you couldn't, you say exploit and cheat.

I and one of my guild mates both got a 6 star ShoreTrooper and 3 others got him at 5 and 4 stars with some pretty awesome loot to go with. This was the most exciting, fun filled and intense 3 days since I started playing this game in November.

So once again thanks for the fun event. I look forward to its return and other such events. Although I'm sure they will be somewhat differently structured and delivered than this one was, that's fine. We will endeavor to do our best and have fun with this game we love and guild mates that have become great friends over these many months.

+1

Looking forward to being at the forefront of the new meta with my shiny new legally obtained, legit 6* Shoretrooper.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options

It's the poor design. I don't blame people for taking advantage.
  • Options
    Wetwurx wrote: »

+1

Looking forward to being at the forefront of the new meta with my shiny new legally obtained, legit 6* Shoretrooper.
    Legally obtained? Perhaps. You weren't forbidden from exploiting defense squads. But it was unethical. And nothing you or anyone who tries to justify using the exploit will change that truth.
  • Options
    Unethical, exploit? I disagree with your characterization. It's a game, designed by EA/CG that was played within the rules, their rules, which were programmed and didn't change throughout tourny. And it took a lot of coordination and teamwork by his guild to play within those rules. If that's not how the game was supposed to work, that's not their fault, but someone else's.

You just have sour grapes because your guild wasn't able to create the same synergy.

I played the event myself without an alliance, but I did spam the LB, for those sending out soft defenses, and jumped when the opportunity rised. Clearly I was not exploiting the game, but used my noggin to figure out an alternative strategy.

So stop with your characterizations because you didn't think of a winning strategy before the tourny started and implement it.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Options
    It's a fact. EA called this an exploit and asked nicely that player not make use of it. You all continued to do so despite that. In other games if you're caught exploiting gameplay you're banned. I just wish EA had the conviction to enforce their statement that it was an exploit instead of giving tacit approval.

• Options
    The intent of a defense squad was to try and defend against competitors who attacked, yielding a lower battle score. This was explained very clearly. Putting in a scrub team to get max battle scores every time was not how the defense team intro read.

I suppose if your car gets stolen, the guys who took it were just smart enough to figure out how to beat the anti theft system?????

People paid real money to compete and others used an exploit. This is indisputable.
  • Options
    I finished rank 3300 i understand nothing on that event
  • Stormy
    951 posts Member
    Options
    The only good/fun thing about it was the teamwork with guildmates- agreed. Coordinating to overcome/lock out others was like what we do on our private arena servers, just on a massive scale- so that was the silver lining we found too! Nice write up Dan!
  • Options
    The intent of a defense squad was to try and defend against competitors who attacked, yielding a lower battle score. This was explained very clearly. Putting in a scrub team to get max battle scores every time was not how the defense team intro read.

I suppose if your car gets stolen, the guys who took it were just smart enough to figure out how to beat the anti theft system?????

People paid real money to compete and others used an exploit. This is indisputable.

Please stop yourself. No one stole your Shoretrooper from you bub. F2P and mild spenders who thought they were going to be handed a 7-5* premium toon were kidding themselves. Exploit or not it was never going to happen, period. You've all put your malcontents out there and no one cares. I'm glad the tourney is over so I don't have to listen to your constant complaining through tear soaked keyboards.
  • Mogen
    69 posts Member
    Options
    The fact that it was so easy for those who went against the original purpose of the event by using the guild exploit and how it greatly disenfranchised F2P players, I have to disagree with this being a great event.
  • danrussoa
    964 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Please stop yourself. No one stole your Shoretrooper from you bub. F2P and mild spenders who thought they were going to be handed a 7-5* premium toon were kidding themselves. Exploit or not it was never going to happen, period. You've all put your malcontents out there and no one cares. I'm glad the tourney is over so I don't have to listen to your constant complaining through tear soaked keyboards.

You are correct. Wish I could afford to get a decent team on here and thought I could win a good player in the tourney. Can I borrow a Kleenex? Can we please be allies so I can test drive some of your premium toons?
  • Options

You are correct. Wish I could afford to get a decent team on here and thought I could win a good player in the tourney. Can I borrow a Kleenex? Can we please be allies so I can test drive some of your premium toons?

No you can't borrow a Kleenex. That would imply that you would return it to me soaked in tears or something far worse.

Unfortunately my ally list is full. Full of winners, no room for whiners.
  • Options

No you can't borrow a Kleenex. That would imply that you would return it to me soaked in tears or something far worse.

You and Charlie Sheen. You're winners all right.
  • Options

Well if any winners quit and there is an opening for a whiner, keep me in mind! :smiley:

• Starki11er
    50 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This was no different than what happens in arena daily. Guilds is a thing in SWGOH. Guilds aren't only a place you silently collect coins with screen names to raid....its an alliance of people, gamers, helping eachother, COMMUNICATING, and tackling content together. Join an active guild that communicates and is proactive. Work together and expand your SWGOH experience, if you dig it enough. That will also expand your view on what a SWGOH guild can be and you'll realize you were foolish to demonize smart players who entered a tournament, saw the arena thing going on and said..,if that's what's up let's give em hell. It was awesome. You need to rethink your positions and mindset.
  • Options
    Starki11er wrote: »
    This was no different than what happens in arena daily. Guilds is a thing in SWGOH. Guilds aren't only a place you silently collect coins with screen names to raid....its an alliance of people, gamers, helping eachother, COMMUNICATING, and tackling content together. Join an active guild that communicates and is proactive. Work together and exand your SWGOH experience if you dig it enough. That will also expand your view on what a SWGOH guild can be and you'll realize you were foolish too demonize smart players who entered a tournament, saw the arena thing going on and said..,if that's what's up let's give em hell. It was awesome. You need to rethink your positions and mindset.

+1. Well said!
  • Options
    This tourny didn't disenfranchised f2p. No matter how the tourny was designed, F2p would still be threatening to jump from the bridge because they couldn't get a 7* premium toon during the tourny's premier opening for free. The whole tourny was designed for customers to spend. So help me to connect the dots. Designed to spend, free 7* shore trooper. Isn't that a Daisy of a leap.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • unit900000
    626 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This thread... Nicolas-Cage-Facepalm1.gif
  • BowTieJedi
    36 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well written.

As concerns the burning question: was it fair play, Ethical?

A few words here:

The essence of Guilds is teamwork, a single entity composed of individuals.

Games have 3 components: freedoms, barriers and goals.

The nature of SWGOH has 1 more factor: timezones.

I was part of one of the earliest Guilds built months prior to Raids. (Original TNR).

Mates came and went, discontents mixed with joy; all culminating to various Guilds that were naturally woven together.

As the game matured and pressure increased wether to stick with the kinks or bail out, only team spirit driven people prevailed up to today, be it in game or in forums/chatrooms, still attached to this marvel of a game.

I am probably one of the oldest member of the targetted, flamed down Guild in question that is labeled in a most unruly way. And I can tell from, many sources, in and out of this said Guild, that our trademark is teamwork, unconditional one for all and all for one, F2P or P2P.

Unfortunately or otherwise, being too busy to fully partake this 3 day extensive rush, I could not follow my fellowship band wagon and went lone soldier throughout the Event, barely hitting over the 100 rank, to have Shore unlocked.

Having now observed the mechanics of the game, I can only see one answer that would nullify any dissonance in viewpoints and settle any quailms, which would have never come to be in the first place.

There is but one culprit.

This Event has been advertized as Squad Tournament.

The Tournament is a misnomer, or an incomplete name or description. All my top Guild mates did (out of tacit conscent), was add the missing data and went their ways as happy campers and busy bees, all with what I have come to understand, the feeling of having clean hands. And since we were at least 10 of the same Guild who jumped in at the same time, shortly after Tournament was available, it was even more applicable

Had EA/CG provided a complete, acurate name and feature description, the results of this new Event would have been quite different.

Further, this would have leveled out the wide F2P, P2P gap.

It is NOT a Squad Tournament, it ismore of a GUILD vs GUILD Tournament, with the obvious addition of time zones and the obscure shard binding.

For all of you adamant SWGOH lovers, please LOOK at the Tournament mechanics.

And think again, anew.

Now, was this Ethical play?

I will boldly say, it is for some to know and for others to find out. Nuf said!

Post edited by BowTieJedi on
    BowTieJedi
  • Options

lol this guy lost all credibility. Check his post asking the devs for clarification on teaming up in arena. Apparently collusion there is an exploit also. But thats only been working that way since the game began...

Man this guy is such role model for his moral and ethical superiority, he even refused to use the retreat button in GW. What a guy! I'm
    sure everyone on the SWGOH forums is so proud of you!

You know why I play this game? To have fun. NOT to impress people I will never know or meet in real life with my superior moral compass. Guess what? Getting a shiny new 5* Shoretrooper was pretty fun. And putting him to use to help my shardmates lockout crybabies like you in arena will be even more fun!

Hopefully you find a better way to put your model citizenship to good use in the future. I can't see how exposing my apparent unethical behavior is making the world a better place...Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I don't really understand this post. EA recognized that it was not working as intended and asked to stop but by the time they realized they didnt test correctly is was to late people spend money cristal and time and they learned from mods issue that rollback can cause a lot of people to quit, that is why they didnt do anything. However this doesnt change the fact that it wasnt working as intended and most probably next will be diferent and this wont be possible to do.

And for those who defend the guild work I understand your point, but the problem is that not all guilds members were in the same tournament so it was unfair since if you was luckly to be with your guild members you could use the team work but if you dont you just could never get to top raking. If all the guild members from the all guilds had been in the same tournament that may be a diferent thing but since it was not the case your point dont apply, it wasnt that the others didnt do team work, most cases they couldnt.

I will be happy if next is about guild team work, with my guild we can do great thing but me alone against a guild is simple not fair.

In the end it was all over again about RNG...
  • Options
    Somebody admits to exploiting. I hope EA does something about this.
  • Options
    I agree that the responsibility for this hodge podge rests with the developers. In ANY game/sport/etc you absolutely CANNOT rely on players determining what to do in the event of a "gray" area. In basketball they realized that game is not as fun if a 7 foot player stands in front of the goal and swats away every ball on the way down. Thus, they invented the rule of goaltending. Would you accuse the 7 footer of cheating before the goaltending rule was implemented? Absolutely not. Might make the game less fun for people, but until it is a rule, why would you not park your tallest player in front of the goal??

Same thing here. Kudos to the players that were smart enough to use the system to their advantage; the shame really rests with the developers. They REALLY should implement a team of rule testers. I volunteer as tribute.
  • Options
    Lol
  • Wiggo
    98 posts Member
    Options
    OMG....stop with the whining already...you sound silly and childish

So your argument is you threw money at and as such expected to and felt entitled to win....well that didn't go to plan did it for once.

You are griping cos people worked out a strategy to get ahead without chucking cash at it.

Well fair play to them. They broke no rules and played within the designed parameters. Was it morally right....possibly not but their strategy didn't break any rules.

And im not one of them before any says...im F2P and finished in the 500 bracket and was happy to get some free stuff
  • Options
    Hahaha, @TheRevJCred, in a pick up game youd be kicked off the court if not worse for playing cheaply before "goal tending" was an official rule because it was unethical.

At op, i realize it was probably cool coordinating attacks like we used to have to in the raid before mods, but it was still a huge d#ck move.

I dont have a problem with events catering to whales, but c'mon. Unlimited defense resets and character refreshes was completely absurd.

Congradulations on your shoretroopers you definitely deserve them. May the force end you in the pit of a sarlacc.

P.S. my grapes are fine
  • Options
    Working together by setting bad defense teams for easy wins for your friends is just sad. You're not winning anything. Beating up third graders for their lunch money isnt actually a job. Its like rigging the 1919 world series, done by the infamous "black Sox". The champions weren't really champions, they didnt earn anything. People threw the games.

You guys trying to justify it are just sad.
  • Fave
    96 posts Member
    Options
    I agree that the responsibility for this hodge podge rests with the developers. In ANY game/sport/etc you absolutely CANNOT rely on players determining what to do in the event of a "gray" area. In basketball they realized that game is not as fun if a 7 foot player stands in front of the goal and swats away every ball on the way down. Thus, they invented the rule of goaltending. Would you accuse the 7 footer of cheating before the goaltending rule was implemented? Absolutely not. Might make the game less fun for people, but until it is a rule, why would you not park your tallest player in front of the goal??

Same thing here. Kudos to the players that were smart enough to use the system to their advantage; the shame really rests with the developers. They REALLY should implement a team of rule testers. I volunteer as tribute.

Nice post. I agree most of the responsibility lies w/ devs. And they are about to make the same mistake again w/ given out max currencies to guilds for the next raid. Countless guilds will create alt guilds to jump to and gain and a stupid advantage. When this happens, there will be no excuse anyone from EA can give to justify it.