Thank You for the Great Event

Replies

• Brownie
    298 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Davo9999 wrote: »

Great so you used this
    "Tournaments are designed to provide a competitive environment for all players. We do this by grouping everyone by player level (ex. Players level 30-39 compete) or by max squad power for players at the level cap."

I just planned what toons were going to be consider max squad and you all in the guild put same mods ( because as you cant change gear is the only way to change power for those that are in the cap) and assumed before the tournament begin that you would be available to change defense team whatever you want. You just planned all of that the day before of the tournament...

Since the dev never give us the exact way on how the max squad was going to be calculated yes it was luck just that, I didnt figure it because the data wasnt there. What if the dev decide that each tournament will have limit amount and they create more than one tournament with same squad max because of the amount of people.

Nice rambling. Its hard to understand you man but yes we actually planned this at 8-9 am EST upon release of the tournament. We all joined the tournament at 12:30 EST and were in the same shard without any of the impatient whales who jumped right in...man that was really hard to accomplish...
  • Options
    The game makers decide on whether its cheating/ exploit. They clearly said its not intended but did not escalate to the level of cheat/ exploit.

And also did nothing about it, leaving the player the choice to take advantage of the system or sit idle and let others take advantage to the players detriment.

Its pretty clear to me. I sleep well at night.

**cuddled up to my 7* shoretroop **
  • Options
    KyleKatarn wrote: »
    Gamesmanship, pure and simple. Where there is a loophole to be found within the game mechanics, people are generally smart enough to figure them out.

I hated the tournament, and I expressed my view on the megathread; I think this will be an unpopular opinion but to those who were able to take advantage of the system - well done, you improvised and adapted and got the rewards.

The poor reflection is on the event and how it was handled, released and designed, not on the individuals who decided to think round corners and get the job done. That said, I sincerely hope this loophole is closed for future releases.

For the record, I did not participate in any gamesmanship, and finished 223rd in my group.

Nailed it! And I think we all agree with you. This loophole should be closed. I had a blast over those three days but I dont even want to attempt that again anytime soon. I went into the tournament expecting to finish nowhere near the top 100. But we as a guild found a way within the confines of the game, a strategy that was available to every single player, a strategy that EA themselves DID NOT classify as an exploit.

Look at how EA crafted that statement. Very carefully and choosing precise words for a reason.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The game makers decide on whether its cheating/ exploit. They clearly said its not intended but did not escalate to the level of cheat/ exploit.

And also did nothing about it, leaving the player the choice to take advantage of the system or sit idle and let others take advantage to the players detriment.

Most sociopaths, cheaters, ne'er-do-wells, miscreants, etc. sleep well at night also. Just sayin'.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    Brownie wrote: »
    KyleKatarn wrote: »
    Gamesmanship, pure and simple. Where there is a loophole to be found within the game mechanics, people are generally smart enough to figure them out.

I hated the tournament, and I expressed my view on the megathread; I think this will be an unpopular opinion but to those who were able to take advantage of the system - well done, you improvised and adapted and got the rewards.

The poor reflection is on the event and how it was handled, released and designed, not on the individuals who decided to think round corners and get the job done. That said, I sincerely hope this loophole is closed for future releases.

For the record, I did not participate in any gamesmanship, and finished 223rd in my group.

Nailed it! And I think we all agree with you. This loophole should be closed. I had a blast over those three days but I dont even want to attempt that again anytime soon. I went into the tournament expecting to finish nowhere near the top 100. But we as a guild found a way within the confines of the game, a strategy that was available to every single player, a strategy that EA themselves DID NOT classify as an exploit.

Look at how EA crafted that statement. Very carefully and choosing precise words for a reason.

Lots of posts justifying the action..... Just an observation.
  • LV426
    14 posts Member
    Options
    Wetwurx wrote: »
    Let the hate, discontent and flaming begin.

All you did was ruin the event for other people that are taking part, and now you're coming here and admitting you cheated everyone out of a fair game.

The truth is, players, including some players that are new to the the game will feel like they have been betrayed by EA and the devs letting you do it.

I for one am annoyed more by the reaction of the development team, by not stopping the event in its tracks, I got annoyed enough to not want to spend another dime on the game after throwing a fair amount in, I went and got it all back from Apple, so now they will lose out.

With any luck they'll log your IP address and ban your account ;)

• Options

Lol!! Snugs.
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    danrussoa wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    They swap payouts, decide who is gonna win hours before payout. Sadly, the mindset has become "if you can't beat em, join em", which is terrible. I will not amd have not taken a advantage of any exploits. I don't even use retreat, actually used it once, and just want a fair shake at winning straight up.

EA_Jesse how is groups of people clearly communicating to control arena not an exploit? I want a fair chance to win without having to feel " exploity" to do so.

If you can't win, join them :). I bet you can reach an agreement. Imho there's nothing exploity with that. The lock system is bad, other than that it's all fair game. How would you imagine CG preventing this, by not letting players organise? That's the point of the game.

Well, they shouldn't call it PvP then. And when guilds hit, could have sorted that out. I have twenty people from same guild. And finally, their forum doesn't have to have five thousand posts for people looking to hook up from same server.

If hitting a button several times is an exploit, I believe a actively coordinating the control of arena rewards to be one too. And finally, first place shouldn't be able to challenge down last twenty minutes before payout.

lol i love this thread you created. Cant win? Complain its an exploit. I like your style!

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/51437/collusion-in-arena-player-vs-player#latest
  • Options
    LV426 wrote: »
    Let the hate, discontent and flaming begin.

All you did was ruin the event for other people that are taking part, and now you're coming here and admitting you cheated everyone out of a fair game.

The truth is, players, including some players that are new to the the game will feel like they have been betrayed by EA and the devs letting you do it.

I for one am annoyed more by the reaction of the development team, by not stopping the event in its tracks, I got annoyed enough to not want to spend another dime on the game after throwing a fair amount in, I went and got it all back from Apple, so now they will lose out.

With any luck they'll log your IP address and ban your account ;)

Im sure EA is really hurting without your $100...
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    RonEmpire wrote: »
    Somebody admits to exploiting. I hope EA does something about this.

Lol'd
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    tRRRey wrote: »

Lol'd

You cant admit to an exploit when the game developer hasn't even called it one!
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options

Lol'd

Pretty much, I love how all these holier than thou players are ganging up on the so called "cheaters" when they really should be directing their anger towards the incompetent devs
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Lol'd

This is absolutely true. Any anger/frustration/whatever should be directly and only aimed at the developers. Blaming players for simply working within the confines of the rules set up by the development team is unfair.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • LordStyling
    1461 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    fellas;

don't blame people for abusing the system.
    They did not cheat, they didn't do anything "wrong", they saw a way to advance and used it.

We have to blame the devs for putting out untested content. It's 100% their fault and it certainly "ruined" the event in my honest opinion.

The concept was good but the delivery was very poor.

• Options
    j
    They swap payouts, decide who is gonna win hours before payout. Sadly, the mindset has become "if you can't beat em, join em", which is terrible. I will not amd have not taken a advantage of any exploits. I don't even use retreat, actually used it once, and just want a fair shake at winning straight up.

EA_Jesse how is groups of people clearly communicating to control arena not an exploit? I want a fair chance to win without having to feel " exploity" to do so.

If you can't win, join them :). I bet you can reach an agreement. Imho there's nothing exploity with that. The lock system is bad, other than that it's all fair game. How would you imagine CG preventing this, by not letting players organise? That's the point of the game.

Well, they shouldn't call it PvP then. And when guilds hit, could have sorted that out. I have twenty people from same guild. And finally, their forum doesn't have to have five thousand posts for people looking to hook up from same server.

If hitting a button several times is an exploit, I believe a actively coordinating the control of arena rewards to be one too. And finally, first place shouldn't be able to challenge down last twenty minutes before payout.

lol i love this thread you created. Cant win? Complain its an exploit. I like your style!

Lol. When I do something I feel is right, I NEVER explain myself. Wonder why so many posts are people justifying the usage of an exploit? Are they trying to convine the rest of O's or just their selves?

Lol'd

Pretty much, I love how all these holier than thou players are ganging up on the so called "cheaters" when they really should be directing their anger towards the incompetent devs

It isnt the devs fault people CHOSE to exploit an obvious oversight on their part.
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Lol'd

This is absolutely true. Any anger/frustration/whatever should be directly and only aimed at the developers. Blaming players for simply working within the confines of the rules set up by the development team is unfair.

+1 all EA had to do was say STOP...we dont condone this and violaters will be punished

The behavior would have stopped immediately. By saying what the said, they admitted it was okay this time...
  • Options
    j

Lol. When I do something I feel is right, I NEVER explain myself. Wonder why so many posts are people justifying the usage of an exploit? Are they trying to convine the rest of O's or just their selves?

Lol'd

It isnt the devs fault people CHOSE to exploit an obvious oversight on their part.

Honestly, I could leave this thread and be done but I find it quite entertaining to hear you talk...

This day has been fun so far and I have a 5* shoretrooper to play with later...
  • Options
    I disagree with the concept of unethical play, so long as one is not using a third party or proprietary software to hack the app cheating is not possible. I wish I had had guild mates in my bracket to collude with, but I didn't but I don't begrudge those who did.

What this needs though IMO was a b c and D defense. Why should my 22.6 k rebels even try a 41 k team? Waste of time. There needs to be a survivor bonus on retreat. So I could get 18 points for the two living toons after one enemy round. I spent five bucks in this just to space on the last refresh and be 1700. But I looked at it as paying for the fun of trying my squads again against Bariss rg luminara Rey and whomever.
  • Options
    I disagree with the concept of unethical play, so long as one is not using a third party or proprietary software to hack the app cheating is not possible. I wish I had had guild mates in my bracket to collude with, but I didn't but I don't begrudge those who did.

What this needs though IMO was a b c and D defense. Why should my 22.6 k rebels even try a 41 k team? Waste of time. There needs to be a survivor bonus on retreat. So I could get 18 points for the two living toons after one enemy round. I spent five bucks in this just to space on the last refresh and be 1700. But I looked at it as paying for the fun of trying my squads again against Bariss rg luminara Rey and whomever.

Anyway to make it so you use your entire rosters would be valid. I personally think the tournament should be different every single time.

One time defenses have to be tanks. Another time DPS. Next Jawas or Rebels or whatever.

Allowing the defenses to be the best of the beat meta teams means 3/4 of most peoples rosters go unused. Once at the top of the leaderboard there are really only 15-20 toons that can compete. Thats what I did not like about this event this time around.

How about actually allowing or encouraging teaming up in the tournament occassionally? When the event is always the same its boring and predictable.
  • Options
    @danrussoa I can't take any of your arguments seriously, at all. You don't even know how to do something as simple as using a quote feature on the forums.
  • Options
    Unethical, exploit? I disagree with your characterization. It's a game, designed by EA/CG that was played within the rules, their rules, which were programmed and didn't change throughout tourny. And it took a lot of coordination and teamwork by his guild to play within those rules. If that's not how the game was supposed to work, that's not their fault, but someone else's.

You just have sour grapes because your guild wasn't able to create the same synergy.

I played the event myself without an alliance, but I did spam the LB, for those sending out soft defenses, and jumped when the opportunity rised. Clearly I was not exploiting the game, but used my noggin to figure out an alternative strategy.

So stop with your characterizations because you didn't think of a winning strategy before the tourny started and implement it.

EA themselves called this an exploit at best, and asked people not to use it, and even if not it's common sense. Enjoy your pixels. Hope they're worth the cost of your broken moral compass.

I think other's have established that Ea never called it an exploit. Everyone has been saying that EA did probably because you guys all want to argue from the higher ground because you know your position has no merit. Before you use your moral compass, better make sure you get the facts straight. As for common sense, I'm sure you want everyone to have a participation award in sports too.

As for my moral compass? Why go there? I mean really.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Options
    There are so many reasons why this complaining is hilarious to me.

1. Even if there was no collusion, how many of you whining in here would have finished top 5? None? I thought so.
    2. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people complaining are F2V's*. Honestly, as an F2V*, this strategy would have helped you. When you saw it happening you should have figured out a way to make it work in your favor. You all cried that this was a whale event yet.. YOU HAD A WAY TO MAKE IT TO THE TOP FOR FREE/MINIMAL COST. DISCLAIMER: this required something called friends. Which judging by some of the posts you guys make, makes it clear that this is a foreign concept for you.
    3. Why you would question someone's morality in life over their actions in a mobile game is beyond me. While it may have been disadvantageous to you, you have to admire their creativity. Rather than blowing a mortgage payment on crystals, they did it with teamwork. Good on them.

*F2V is not a misspelling. F2V = F2Vegan. You F2P guys are the vegans of online gaming. Just like vegans go out of their way to tell everyone that they're vegan, you go out of your way to let everyone know how "you haven't spent a dime on this game". Just like vegans, you seem to think that you have some sort of moral high ground. Just like vegans, you seem to think that your opinion matters more than non-vegans. In short, you're the annoying weirdos that people do their best to avoid contact with.

• Boxandthefuzz
    362 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Deleted. Double post.
  • Options
    IRMINLE.jpg
  • Options
    Using exploits: Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
  • Options
    Using exploits: Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

Show me where it's ever been said it's an exploit. You've been seduced yourself into believing a common myth.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Options
    IRMINLE.jpg

i'm dead

lol
  • Options
    This has been an interesting thread to read. I don't have much of an opinion one way or another really. I figure it's up to CG/EA to decide how they feel about what went down this tournament. If they're fine with it, then they'll continue to allow it in future tournaments. If they don't like it, they'll attempt to make changes to prevent it. Simple as that. No need to start a war over it or cast insults at each other.

Then again, I never stressed out about this tournament to begin with. I only spent 90 crystals at the end to bump me up from the 1000s to the 500 bracket (probably could have gotten by just using 15, but wanted to make sure I didn't slip from 900s back out).

I still had some fun with it, it was obvious from the start you weren't going to compete without paying some money, so I had already came to terms that I wouldn't place high. That's probably what made the difference for me. Realistic expectations.

Enjoy everyone who won big, and good luck next time!
  • Options
    Most are missing my point and intent here. Whether intentional or not the developers and game designers finally gave us a way to truly interact and leverage my guild mates as a benefit to the whole group. You can agree or disagree on the ethics and morality of it, I don't care. My point was to say thanks for giving us this type of inter guild interaction that we've been sorely missing in this game, and I think we need more of it. It may of been a mistake or unintentional as "they" say, but I doubt it. I'm sure they knew exactly what would happen and didn't care because it would generate insane revenue. They claim unintended to calm the masses but I seriously doubt it.

This is a great point. As Wet has been saying, what is 100% missing from the guilds is any sort of real teamwork. In theory, the raid itself requires teamwork because you need everyone to contribute to win. But EA/CG completely ruined that by structuring the rewards in such a way that it became an individual, not a team game. The only team aspect was managing the raid so everyone could at least get some prize before it ended. That isn't fun.

The tournament, OTOH, was fun. Because you had the ability to coordinate with your guildmates and actually feel like you were a team. Intended or not, EA/CG actually stumbled on a way to make guilds matter. I hope they don't forget that next time the tournaments come back around.
  • Options

tumblr_static_67hpaqd42xgcw0skowo8scg4w_640_v2.png