Please give guild officers the ability to lock out raid participation

Prev1
Gold_Leader
36 posts Member
edited November 2016
The heroic Rancor is too easy for my guild (and many others), even after the exodus of whales with the introduction of the AAT raid.

As a result, we have experimented with different raid participation formats, most of which have been ineffective. There is no place to post raid rules and coordination efforts and no way to communicate with players too young to use chat.

Guild officers should be able to lock out any non-officer members from participating in any portion of the raid. This would shift coordination away from a reliance on chat and actually allow us to use guild officer authority for something useful.

Disclaimer: I am not a guild officer. Just looking to make raid participation more manageable.

Replies

• Options
    Download an app that allows the guild to chat and post rules. Like line. Or make a facebook group.

Problem solved.
    Then boot those who refuse to follow rules
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The heroic Rancor is too easy for my guild (and many others), even after the exodus of whales with the introduction of the AAT raid.

As a result, we have experimented with different raid participation formats, most of which have been ineffective. There is no place to post raid rules and coordination efforts and no way to communicate with players too young to use chat.

Guild officers should be able to lock out any non-officer members from participating in any portion of the raid. This would shift coordination away from a reliance on chat and actually allow us to use guild officer authority for something useful.

Disclaimer: I am not a guild officer. Just looking to make raid participation more manageable.

But then people could be blocked from rewards, while officers take advantage to get better rank.

Just a thought
  • Options
    We have some members who can't use chat for the same reason they can't use in-game chat. I don't want to boot people just because they can't chat or don't have time to sift through hundreds of lines of unnecessary game commentary.

Also, this game shouldn't force the use of third party apps.

It shouldn't be hard to give us a place to post rules, etc, but a lockout is the simplest and most effective solution.
  • Options
    I agree with a lockout, it doesn't even have to be a full lockout just something along the lines of "participation in this raid has been locked for 12 hours" or something along those lines.
  • Options
    Put the rules in the guild description. If they don't know the rules by 1-2 raids they don't bother to read chat and a 3rd party app isn't going to change that. 3 strikes and boot.

People just don't want to do that because they don't want to lose members and get their tickets and activities points.
  • Options
    Put the rules in the guild description. If they don't know the rules by 1-2 raids they don't bother to read chat and a 3rd party app isn't going to change that. 3 strikes and boot.

If they expanded that description box, or have a description box for each raid, it would work. But fitting the rules for two raids in that tiny box? Hello clown car.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm also not really sure how it would work. If someone can solo p1 and into p2, but is supposed to be locked out of p2...what happens?

Not sure how someone would get kicked out while actively raiding.

It just seems like a bad idea, and just loaded with ways for others to be **** over. But I guess that would be a reason to leave the guild.
  • Options
    i'm not sure why these kind of rules exist at all. good think i'm not in one of these types of guilds. the guild i'm in is free as a bird. no limits anywhere. no need to punish anyone for any reason by limiting how much or or how little they can participate in the guild. you wanna be at the top of your guild get your toons geared leveled and starred.
  • Options
    holyjoe wrote: »
    i'm not sure why these kind of rules exist at all. good think i'm not in one of these types of guilds. the guild i'm in is free as a bird. no limits anywhere. no need to punish anyone for any reason by limiting how much or or how little they can participate in the guild. you wanna be at the top of your guild get your toons geared leveled and starred.

Its not about punishing anyone or micromanaging the guild or raids. We want to leave it open long enough for everyone to get in, including those in different hemispheres. Coordinating anything in this game is inherently difficult. So this would be a tool to use, or not, at the guild's discretion. Those who abuse it would find their members bailing in droves.
  • Options

Because a guild can compete a heroic raid in 30 minutes or less once open, with the top 10 players. That's 40 people who made contributions that don't get to participate and recieve rewards. There's also cases where top players are just collecting han shards for their GG fund, with other guild members without him unlocked or promoted. "Free bird" guilds have their own issues, especially with lower tier guild's, and sniping for position at reset. They generally don't care if every member it's on the board or not. It can't be like that, no matter what tier you run.
  • Options
    i personally would bail any guild that used this tool at all. i prefer the way we have our guild set up. first come, first serve. once the raid is started it's get in and get your battles done before the raid is finished. we have the same 3 members in the same top 3 spots each raid. after that it's whoever got there and was able to contribute.
  • Options
    i personally would bail any guild that used this tool at all. i prefer the way we have our guild set up. first come, first serve. once the raid is started it's get in and get your battles done before the raid is finished. we have the same 3 members in the same top 3 spots each raid. after that it's whoever got there and was able to contribute.

If you're okay with that, cool. I was in a guild like that once, after looking back, it was a terrible guild. On average 10-15 members didn't even get to attack or post 0 damage. Guilds should be about helping everyone advance, not promoting competition between members.
  • Options
    @holyjoe
    Are you running heroic raids?
  • Options
    we have before yes. it's about freedom and no pressure for the members to have to participate in every single raid. not everyone is glued to their phones and plays every single day.
  • Options
    Simpler answer, award all guild members who are present when the raid is launched 1 damage.
  • Options
    we have before yes. it's about freedom and no pressure for the members to have to participate in every single raid. not everyone is glued to their phones and plays every single day.

It's not about _having_ to participate. It's about giving them a chance to. As you say, not everyone is "glued to their phones", so when a heroic is opened and cleared in minutes, most people don't even have a chance or choice to play. Yes, everyone knows you do what you want, but others deserve a chance to play. Without the rules, they don't get that chance.
  • Options
    no answer needed for my guild. we realize people aren't glued to their phones and we have members who don't play everyday. those members are completely fine with missing out on raids.

i'm one of them. i miss raids all the time. i miss the daily energy refresh because of work. i don't feel the need to be glued to my phone or play this game or any game every day. life goes on if i don't play SWGOH for a few days.
  • Options
    If no one has suggested it. Slack is the best gaming community app. Imo. Discord has the voice chat which comes in handy too.
  • Options
    no answer needed for my guild. we realize people aren't glued to their phones and we have members who don't play everyday. those members are completely fine with missing out on raids.

i'm one of them. i miss raids all the time. i miss the daily energy refresh because of work. i don't feel the need to be glued to my phone or play this game or any game every day. life goes on if i don't play SWGOH for a few days.

I think we all agree that not everyone can be on all the time. But when you start doing heroics regularly you notice the guild begins to kill them faster and faster. If we just said smash it, it'd be done in 30 minutes. Nowadays many of us can only use 1 team and we have to schedule P1 solos. It's not about people not showing up. But if every time we started a raid it was done in 30 minutes it'd leave half the guild **** that they didn't even see it happen!

We either need management tools, not ideal, or maybe they need to provide a T8. But I do think at the very least a chalkboard for each raid where we could at least just post some guidelines that even non-chat folks could see stuff. At least then if DodgyDave123 always screws up we'd know he's at least seen the rules and could blame him.

LINE is nice, but how do you tell someone that can't see chat to download something besides guild description (which nobody really sees) is a problem.
  • Options
    I really like this idea.

Instead of giving people a choice of breaking posted guild rules, give the officers the ability to physically set rules when the raid is launched. Then there'll be no need for leaders to monitor or discipline anyone in the guild, and also lessen the reliance on a third party communication ap.
    • The ability to limit the number of battles, i.e. if your guild runs on a one team for a certain amount of time rule.
    • The ability to set a time lock when the raid is launched... such as 24 hours.
    • The ability to prevent a player from entering the raid for whatever reason.

Of course all of this would be governed by pre-existing raid rules, such as on T6 you can only have 5 battles.
  • Options
    Sorry, this idea is way to open for abuse to my liking.
  • Options
    +1

I think this is a fantastic idea. I had some thoughts on it and how it could work.

Here is a simple solution in my opinion. Let the leader handicap each player with 0-5/Unlimited attempts.

In the manage section next to each player have a setting for raids with an up and down arrow. Inbetween it reads as follows.

^ 0 v (not allowed to play)
    ^ 1 v (one attempt/24 hrs)
    ^ 2 v (two attempts/24hrs)
    ^ 3 v (three attempts/24hrs)
    ^ 4 v (four attempts/24hrs)
    ^ U v (5 max/unlimited during epic)

+1 and quote if you like that idea.
  • RancorPackGuild
    1363 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    IDobaFett wrote: »
    Sorry, this idea is way to open for abuse to my liking.

It does make alot of sense with trying to hold people back who cannot read the guild feed...

...and if a leader is abusive with it you can move to a guild where they are not.
  • Options

Also, this game shouldn't force the use of third party apps.
    Again. The guild chat is grossly inifecient and must be reworked.
  • Options

Because a lot of us could solo the majority of the raid, already have 7* han and could easily prevent you from participating at all by finishing it before you ever get a chance to go. Yes, rules need to be in place to help newer players.
  • Options
    You guys need to look at it from a computer programmer or coder. This lockout function you are proposing is pretty complicated to code into the game and not worth it. As others said, make the rules clear and simple and kick people not following rules.

My guild has a simple rule system: first 24hrs, do 1 atk with 1 character to log into raid. After 24hrs free atk. If you are top3, you must skip phase 1 the next raid.

Simple rules, everyone gets rewards and the top3 are always different so it's fair for others. I suggest you try something similar.
  • Options
    Most guilds already have rules in place. What the OP was suggesting was some form of game mechanic that could assist.

It is not unreasonable to have more guild management options. Leader and officer functionality is pretty limited. Game chat is terrible, and raid management is non existent. You can't even see who is in, how many turns someone has taken, dmg per phase or even damage posted from within a raid. Leadership is forced to screenshot leaderboards (4 players at a time) if they want to track damage posted.

The difficulty of coding these things is not our concern. We've all played dozens of MMOs with guilds and raids. If Ultima Online can have a functional guild chat in 1997, I'm sure the technology can be mastered twenty years later with 20x the computing power and bandwidth.
  • Options
    We have open recruiting and a mol eliza that keeps coming back like a punching bag....kick out back in kick out back in

He always hits the rancor when he's not supposed to.....

It would be nice to be able to ban him from the guild.....closing recruiting is the other less desire able way.

So I vote +1 for some kind of guild member management

Kakaka
    Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
    https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
    Código aliado 192-195-873
    https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    They could just adjust rancor to be balanced to the tier/character power it is targeted to.

Could increase resists to reduce the effectiveness of TM manipulation (reduce not eliminate).

IMO rancor tiers are too week and AAT doesn't have lower tiers for less powerful guilds.

Hard to tell what their expectation should be when they recommend power. I would prefer it to be a realistic recommendation and well known. When it says level 80 gear 9 does that mean one team per day, 5? How many players? 25? all 50?

I would like to see tier recommended power/level to be accurate on average to complete said tier in the time it takes to earn the guild coin (again a baseline average) to start the raid.

Sure team composition should have an effect but maybe 10-20% instead of soloing etc?

I would probably also limit the amount of attacks, easier to balance the raid difficulty/tiers that way.

I think they are going down the right road though with AAT where each part favors different types of team composition. THIS is what should reward deep rosters rather than 5 attacks. This way guilds could organize and schedule players with strong teams for certain parts AND deep rosters are still rewarded. This would also allow less powerful guild mates compete... Instead of getting smashed across the board in damage, they MIGHT be able to build a team that does well in one part (would be really effective if there were rewards for each part instead of as a whole).