The Ultimate PvP Squad Explained In Detail

Prev13
WhipiT
591 posts Member
edited December 2015
After spending an embarrassing amount of money on chrono cards because I am a rere, SWGOH provided me with a large assortment of characters to choose from. But as we all know you can't gear and level them all unless your rich. So, I had to pick 5 characters from what I had to work with to take to the dance.

I consider myself an experienced gamer and my wife has played since September so I learned from her mistakes and success. It's designed a lot like a droid team but without the squishyness. If that's even a word. I hope to inspire others to create new awesome synergies of characters to push the limits of the game design. Please feel free to share your opinion, critique, offer suggestions or share your own designed team!

Boba Fett
Boba has two purposes. His AOE ability block at level five almost always lands on a clean hit. This is money against heavy healer teams which is 90% of current builds. Number two is his leadership skill which at level five grants 35% Critical Damage. Once I get to Lando you will fully understand why Boba is leader. Once in epic tier gear Boba does decent damage, is durable and once maxed his rez ability pops at critical times.

Sidious
A solid character but his main use to me is his AOE and Healing immunity ability. The AOE+DOT while not game breaking is solid damage. His healing immunity if timed correctly in the later stages of the match can insure a kill. Extremely high crit rate.

Luminara
I love her. Super easy to farm shards. In epic tier she has great durability, ridiculously good damage, a decent party heal & to top it all off she has a chance to land ability block. That's money. Her special ability as of tonight with Boba as lead was reliably critting 3600+. I have Barris unlocked but her damage is so pathetic it doesnt utilize this squads synergy which is big crits. She will be replaced with Darth Vader soon as this team has no need for a healer and Vader would synergize much better.

Princess Leah
I'll admit getting her was pure luck of the cards and a phenomenal advantage. Was my first chrono unlock at a whopping 2*. Luckily it blessed me several more times with her shards enough that she is a 4*. This character is the heartbeat of the whole synergy. Buffs entire team up to 25% critical hit. Yes you read that correctly. Has stealth, multiple attack, highest base critical hit of all my characters. When her buffs pop and coupled with Boba's 35% critical damage trait things go boom.

Lando

I saved the best for last. My secret weapon. He was the game changer and I built my entire squad around him. Double Down is what the developers call his AOE. In my squad It's called Good Game Sucka. He was an early unlock for me and I almost didnt even level him up my wife said he was weak. And in a typical team he is. But let's see how the buffs and synergy of this team take a mediocre character and convert him to a nuclear bomb.
Double Down starts off as a decent AOE in itself. Lando has an ability that buffs his crit by 12%. Couple that with Leah's possible 25% critical buff + Lando's base crit from stats and gear he crits way more than he doesn't. Which works perfect because if he crits two of my five opponents and he always does his AOE is instantly reset and gains....80%.......damage......increase. This is not a joke. Yes, it resets every round in this team. Now not only is it an 80% damage increase it's insanely magnified by Boba's 35% critical damage buff. To put it in perspective I can lay so much AOE damage in three waves by the end of the second turn there is nothing left but Barriss and maybe a tank with a smidgit of health if no stuns or ability blocks landed on Lando. My highest crit with Lando has been 3876....in an AOE. And it leaves plenty of room for ability blocks and stuns from my opponents attacks as all it does is delay the inevitable. There is a hard counter to this team using a different synergy of characters as there should be.

So that is the team synergy I designed and I hope it shows everyone that it's not all about stacking a misfit team of 3 dps and two healers. There are tons of variations of synergies between characters and hopefully I helped to show that the developers designed this game around that aspect. That weak character that you left at level one because you thought they were weak can become a wrecking ball with the right teammates. Good luck!!!!

Post edited by WhipiT on

Replies

• Options
    Thank you @WhipiT for spending the money, so that I don't have to :p

But seriously, nice post. I agree with what you've said about Boba, Sid, and Luminara.

Unfortunately I don't have Leia or Lando (I really, really want him :s ), but I guess I'll just have to accept that I won't get him any time soon because I'm not paying for crystals right now.
  • davida8546
    216 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Man, you make me want to have a shot at Lando. Money more money lol. You have a good team with great synergies. I have the other chars but not the key one.
  • Options
    What you didn't mention dooku anywhere!? Blasphemy you know he's the most powerful character in existence. Just look at the topics lol
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Well, when you spend "an embarrassing amount of money on chrono cards" you don't need to use Dooku.
    Sounds like a cool team, but if you drop a grand on any game you should expect to do well. :)
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Wait...in the other thread you said you were a budget gamer. Which is it? :)
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    No, he was providing advice for budget gamers based on his experience, he didn't say he was. And it was kind of him to do so.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Thanks whip! Ill keep that in mind after i get my arena team sound! Ill work on them as well and have a secret wreaking ball team ;) it might be useful for darkside 5-L normal too. Struggling on that one.. cant 3 star it to be able to farm it quicker for the gear i need!
    ~ im2awesome ~ FC: 516-518-889
    "There can only be one, I will be the one!" - Jet Li

• Options
    Wish I had known some of this a couple days ago. I had asked if lando was a character worth building up as much as possible and hardly any responses came. I already have the sid and lando while working on a luminara. Now I know to be on the lookout for Leia and boba as well. Thanks for the post
  • Options
    Thanks for the enlightenment, and nicely done!

Surely, with this team you are #1 on your server's arena leaderboard?
  • Options
    This is definitely a fun looking squad, but does the computer play it effectively on defense? Seems to me That anyone with a pulse, even if they are thousands of points lower than you, can beat any setup you have when you are not in control.

I usually take #1 no problem on the server, but no setup I throw out there can keep it. I go offense heavy to win #1, then play someone from 2 - 4 not to necessarily win, but try to set up a defense. It doesn't seem to matter. Maybe I throw em off a battle or two with my 3 healer/2 tank setup, but they can come at me 6 minutes later with a squad that wrecks them.
  • Options
    notwebsafe wrote: »
    Wait...in the other thread you said you were a budget gamer. Which is it? :)

Lol buuurrrnnnn. That was good. See what happened was.......I got into an epeen war with the top dogs on my server. And I'll be the first to admit I foolishly overspent. Not that I can't afford it but realistically it wasn't very smart to waste money on pixels. You live and you learn.
  • Options
    When I first saw Lando and this ability, I wanted him, unfortunately I'm not in the position to spend on cards so won't be getting him. Thanks for reassuring what I was thinking about him from the beginning. Sans with Leia too....
    461-112-993
    Looking for allies level 40+
  • Options
    Im2awesome wrote: »
    Thanks whip! Ill keep that in mind after i get my arena team sound! Ill work on them as well and have a secret wreaking ball team ;) it might be useful for darkside 5-L normal too. Struggling on that one.. cant 3 star it to be able to farm it quicker for the gear i need!

Np brother! I still haven't 3 starred it myself. Barriss is level one with no gear lol but I think once I gear/level her up over the next week she might help me complete it.
  • Options
    Kabbage wrote: »
    This is definitely a fun looking squad, but does the computer play it effectively on defense? Seems to me That anyone with a pulse, even if they are thousands of points lower than you, can beat any setup you have when you are not in control.

I usually take #1 no problem on the server, but no setup I throw out there can keep it. I go offense heavy to win #1, then play someone from 2 - 4 not to necessarily win, but try to set up a defense. It doesn't seem to matter. Maybe I throw em off a battle or two with my 3 healer/2 tank setup, but they can come at me 6 minutes later with a squad that wrecks them.

when you are #1 and fight #4 for fun, do you trade places when you win? lol j/k

Not being able to hold your position seems to fit well with how this game is designed. Many different synergies and combinations to produce essentially a PvP Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Frustrating for those at the top, but great for new challengers to the throne.

This game is wickedly designed to maximize profits.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Well, when you spend "an embarrassing amount of money on chrono cards" you don't need to use Dooku.
    Sounds like a cool team, but if you drop a grand on any game you should expect to do well. :)

If I dropped a grand my wife would divorce me lol. True story. Honestly Ive dropped around 300 usd and have around 7k crystals put aside for gearing and leveling. I make around 750 crystals a day between arena, dalies and subscription service so I havent had to spend any of my saved crystals for a few days. Thats the only good thing about spending. If you stay on top game practically pays your way.
  • Options
    WhipiT wrote: »
    If I dropped a grand my wife would divorce me lol. True story. Honestly Ive dropped around 300 usd and have around 7k crystals put aside for gearing and leveling. I make around 750 crystals a day between arena, dalies and subscription service so I havent had to spend any of my saved crystals for a few days. Thats the only good thing about spending. If you stay on top game practically pays your way.

Phase 2: Hundreds of players catch up. 300$ still not back in wallet. Pressure to keep crystal income/arena rank: rising. Will you spend another 300$ on new packs and new units?

I have a feeling you will spend that grand sooner than later. The wife won't divorce you over this though. :)

What your Leia stats right now?

ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    Slushie wrote: »
    Thank you @WhipiT for spending the money, so that I don't have to :p

But seriously, nice post. I agree with what you've said about Boba, Sid, and Luminara.

Unfortunately I don't have Leia or Lando (I really, really want him :s ), but I guess I'll just have to accept that I won't get him any time soon because I'm not paying for crystals right now.

I dont blame you for not spending. 70% of drops were crap honestly and characters I doubt I will ever level. But the postive thing is im three promotions away from unlocking Vader because if the excess characters. And I really want Vader to fill Luminaras spot.
  • Options
    Kabbage wrote: »

Honestly no I can't keep #1 spot. You're correct. The only advantage I do have is I never drop below the teens that much and I can kill even the top teams within 2 minutes so that makes it extremely easy to snipe 1st right before reset.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Fantazy wrote: »
    WhipiT wrote: »

Phase 2: Hundreds of players catch up. 300$ still not back in wallet. Pressure to keep crystal income/arena rank: rising. Will you spend another 300$ on new packs and new units?

I have a feeling you will spend that grand sooner than later. The wife won't divorce you over this though. :)

What your Leia stats right now?

Good point my friend. Leia is 4* little under halfway to 5*. She lacks one piece from hitting the epic tier and Im waiting on level 53 to equip it so her stats arent anything special yet. She is around 6k hp and crits for around 2k but she crits all the time. I was fighting Barris last night and Leia attacked her for 2k, 2k, 2k in one turn lol. Doesnt happen often but when it does its a beautiful thing. One of my favorite characters because you can put her in any team and she synergizes perfectly. I expect them to nerf her multiple attacks as it needs adjustment.
  • Options
    TreTuna wrote: »
    When I first saw Lando and this ability, I wanted him, unfortunately I'm not in the position to spend on cards so won't be getting him. Thanks for reassuring what I was thinking about him from the beginning. Sans with Leia too....

Dont quote me on this but I think I remember reading in a Q/A that Lando will be able to be unlocked through grinding the cantina on one of the higher unfinished levels. Guess we will see.
  • Options
    Do you have Leia at 7* full gear + max skills? How's her HP like?
  • Options
    Great post - thanks for taking the time!
  • Options
    I think Counter Attack is a powerful way to have the AI play your team effectively. I use Ima-Gun Di as my PvP Leader and I'm not sure I'd ever switch. The notion of focusing on just one character isn't so simple with that running.

I also use Aayla, Kit, Old Ben and Bariss. I'm not sure there's a better Jedi comp, but if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Aayla is a truck. She is probably the most powerful character in the game. Her skills and synergy with the team is just so powerful. She Counter Attacks almost as much as Dooku, has a low CD self-heal that hits VERY hard, can assist attack with the other Jedi, and has a ton of HP. Oh, and every crit is a stun. Mmm.

Kit Fisto is another Counter Attacker and CA's about 60-70% of the time with Ima-Gun as leader. He is the only member of my team with an AOE, regrettably, (I hate AOEs in PvP) but it's a very useful AOE as it sets up Old Ben's ability quite well. He also gets additional hits in and as he hits pretty hard, this is quite nice.

Old Ben is just insane. His leveled up AOE skill is almost a permanent Offense Down against the enemy, as its on a 3 turn CD and lasts for 3 turns. If Kit can keep the Potency buff going, the resistances are few and far between. He is also incredibly tanky and there's no way the enemy will ever focus him down first, as his death buff is a GG, so he stands around AOEing for days.

Ima-Gun Di himself is also quite tanky, and applies the Defense Up buff to your team, quite frequently. He wrecks any droids the enemy may stumble in with and still does decent damage regardless. He also applies Defense Down on his base attack.

And finally Barriss, which we're all familiar with. Not much to say here.

So if the enemy comes in, where do you start? Do you try focusing down Ima-Gun Di, just to leave Barriss to heal him back up? Do you try focusing Barriss, and risk having her Counter Attack and AOE strike heal the group back up? If you focus on Kit, he may Counter Attack multiple swing on you, and you obviously aren't focusing on Aayla or Old Ben first. It's a very difficult team to fight against.

AOE's on your team are 100% useless as using any means almost an instant death for that character. I guess your only strategy is to bring lots of stuns and single target DPS to focus fire down one target at a time, but then you're left with the difficult issue of having the AI play that team on defense. We all know the AI is incompetent when it comes to single target DPS.

So yeah... I dunno. I think it may be one of the best possible teams on defense.
  • Options
    @Naecabon Wow bro. Now that is the ulitimate
    PvP squad. I must say I am very impressed with the synergy in that team. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us. Thats something worth working towards.

I spoke in my post of the hard counter to my team and its the jedi counterstrike team. Those have been my only loses. They just rip my AOE'rs to shreds before Lando can juice up if they are equal power. Not sure if there is a counter to that team yet. I will def keep trying new combos. Fun battles none the less.
  • Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    I think Counter Attack is a powerful way to have the AI play your team effectively. I use Ima-Gun Di as my PvP Leader and I'm not sure I'd ever switch. The notion of focusing on just one character isn't so simple with that running.

I also use Aayla, Kit, Old Ben and Bariss. I'm not sure there's a better Jedi comp, but if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Aayla is a truck. She is probably the most powerful character in the game. Her skills and synergy with the team is just so powerful. She Counter Attacks almost as much as Dooku, has a low CD self-heal that hits VERY hard, can assist attack with the other Jedi, and has a ton of HP. Oh, and every crit is a stun. Mmm.

Kit Fisto is another Counter Attacker and CA's about 60-70% of the time with Ima-Gun as leader. He is the only member of my team with an AOE, regrettably, (I hate AOEs in PvP) but it's a very useful AOE as it sets up Old Ben's ability quite well. He also gets additional hits in and as he hits pretty hard, this is quite nice.

Old Ben is just insane. His leveled up AOE skill is almost a permanent Offense Down against the enemy, as its on a 3 turn CD and lasts for 3 turns. If Kit can keep the Potency buff going, the resistances are few and far between. He is also incredibly tanky and there's no way the enemy will ever focus him down first, as his death buff is a GG, so he stands around AOEing for days.

Ima-Gun Di himself is also quite tanky, and applies the Defense Up buff to your team, quite frequently. He wrecks any droids the enemy may stumble in with and still does decent damage regardless. He also applies Defense Down on his base attack.

And finally Barriss, which we're all familiar with. Not much to say here.

So if the enemy comes in, where do you start? Do you try focusing down Ima-Gun Di, just to leave Barriss to heal him back up? Do you try focusing Barriss, and risk having her Counter Attack and AOE strike heal the group back up? If you focus on Kit, he may Counter Attack multiple swing on you, and you obviously aren't focusing on Aayla or Old Ben first. It's a very difficult team to fight against.

AOE's on your team are 100% useless as using any means almost an instant death for that character. I guess your only strategy is to bring lots of stuns and single target DPS to focus fire down one target at a time, but then you're left with the difficult issue of having the AI play that team on defense. We all know the AI is incompetent when it comes to single target DPS.

So yeah... I dunno. I think it may be one of the best possible teams on defense.

Ima gun di is my favorite hero to borrow from other players. Watching everyone counter is hilarious lol
    ~ im2awesome ~ FC: 516-518-889
    "There can only be one, I will be the one!" - Jet Li

• Options
    @Naecabon - yeah, that is an awesome team. The trouble with that is Ima, Kit, Ben, and Aayala can only be upgraded via the slot machine of Chrmium packs, right? I can't imagine how much money that would take to get that squad up quick. That is definitely a long term dream for most people with shallow pockets.
  • Options
    Oh I don't disagree on it being difficult to star up, I was just posting it as a response to the notion of an "Ultimate PvP Build"

Ima-Gun Di and Barriss can be farmed later in the game without spending money, so it's a start. You could sub in Luminara as a second healer I guess, but I'm not sure Aayla can be replaced... she's too good!
  • woodchuck
    53 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think Counter Attack is a powerful way to.... blah blah blah

meh.. this is just another pompous "pls dear lord stay alive till I am saved by the 5 min bell" team
  • Options
    woodchuck wrote: »
    I think Counter Attack is a powerful way to.... blah blah blah

meh.. this is just another pompous "pls dear lord stay alive till I am saved by the 5 min bell" team

I'm not really worried about the timer - I'd be surprised if they don't kill themselves in five minutes ;)
  • Options
    Leia*

That's right I'm the annoying one in this thread lol.