Should I bother with ships? - Advice please...

DronGarath
33 posts Member
edited December 2016
Hi Everyone,
I'm a f2p player with limited resources. I have a reasonable pool of ok characters, but my best ones by far are my droid team. At the moment I see no reason to participate in ships until EA release the ones that my team could make the most of, or at least have a synergy with and I tend to just do what I must to get my daily rewards while I wait...

Am I missing anything?, is anyone else holding back and just letting the whales get on with it?

Replies

• Options
    Ships are fun. I play for fun.
  • Options
    Ultimately you are missing out big time, once people begin unlocking Zeta materials from ships, arena will become unplayable to those who ignore it. Should have been a seperate game really, feel like someone's making me eat my sprouts if I want more chips :lol:
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i think it's a mistake if you ignore ships, that decision will come back to haunt you. Or not and i'm completely wrong ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    The very least. Just do the dailies.
    That gets your 800 rewards.
    That's 10 character shards.
    That's for sun fac or rex
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    You will eventually need the zeta mats. It was probably a mistake to add those to ships, but it's currently the only tie in. To get zetas, you need 5 dark side ships and Tarkin's capital ship. So if the ships don't excite you, then you'll need to build up 5 ds ships at a minimum. I'd ignore the non-DS ships. As you're doing that, build up the pilots. You'll need the 2 tie fighter pilots, GSoldier, Boba, and choose someone else to farm and get their ship. GSpy, Maul, or Sun Fac. You also need to build Tarkin some. I'm not sure what the minimums for those toons are to run the challenge and get the zetas, as I'm not there yet. I'm farming Boba's ship and Maul's ship, because I have a 4* Maul from a chromium pull and never farmed any Genosians.
  • Options
    Do you like characters? Then do the stuff and get characters.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Yes for multiple reasons
    1) currently the only way to fame zetas which are game changers (though I wouldn't go all out to get these . You'll get them eventually )
    2) future game mods may require ships for non ship content. There may be a ship raid. You never know
    3) fleet arena rewards are very well constructed tier wise. 800 a day just for participating. Often you'll get more
    4) there are good characters abaible in shipments ( I wouldn't spend all on characters though as you'll leave yourself short on ships)
    5) it's a new game mode enjoy it! There will be more ships and content added to it in the future so you don't want to be so behind that the new content is inaccessible
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Zeta materials and charachter shards. Today I bought 5 Vader shards for 400 ship currency only. That's a bargain. You can buy gear as well, if you don't care about building a fleet battle team. If you care a little, them aim for rank 200. That's what I do, but I don't have time nor ressources to aim for top 10 like I do in arena.
  • Options
    I hate ships and was hoping I could ignore them as well. But you will need the goodies to compete in the long run I'm afraid. Today is actually the first time I'll get punished for my ignoring ships... I can't complete the challenge and therefore won't get my daily completion reward... fml
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I hate ships and was hoping I could ignore them as well. But you will need the goodies to compete in the long run I'm afraid. Today is actually the first time I'll get punished for my ignoring ships... I can't complete the challenge and therefore won't get my daily completion reward... fml

that's unlikely, have you tried them all? those ones on the right are ridiculously easy.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Yesac
    362 posts Member
    Options
    You don't need to only farm ds ships as stated above. You need to have eight 5* ships and executrix. You can get to that level with both ls and ds ships. Please let me know if I'm wrong. I have been focusing mostly on xwings.
  • Options
    I can't complete the challenge and therefore won't get my daily completion reward... fml

You could complete T1 ability materials yesterday but can't complete it today?

Does not compute.
  • Options
    bngman wrote: »
    The very least. Just do the dailies.
    That gets your 800 rewards.
    That's 10 character shards.
    That's for sun fac or rex

THIS. And I would also farm blueprints out of GW as well and build up a fleet commander (Akbar, Mace or Tarkin).

You don't need to be dominating right now, but IMO eventually Ships will matter more. Could be raiding or events, but they will only become more of a factor over time.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I can't complete the challenge and therefore won't get my daily completion reward... fml

Does not compute.

Pretty much this. Today is the "all challenges day" (like sunday is for regular daily challenges). If you could do material, credit or droid challenges before, you can do them today.
  • Options
    By definition you can do it better today.

Computation error, redo from start.
  • Options
    Yesac wrote: »
    You don't need to only farm ds ships as stated above. You need to have eight 5* ships and executrix. You can get to that level with both ls and ds ships. Please let me know if I'm wrong. I have been focusing mostly on xwings.

You need 5 DS ships at 4* in order to do tarkin's challenge that lets you get the executrix to 5* which is required to do the tier 3 mats challenge for zetas, so yes you do need to focus on DS more until you get to that point
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    There is no reason not to participate. Even if you put nothing in but what you earn from challenges. You are getting free toon farming everyday from the ship store. Or you can improve your ships to get more reward and get more from the ship store.

You don't have to spend any resources from the toons and those stores and you can farm toons. It's a win win.

Also I just want to put this out there, the other shoe will drop, right now ships have a loose connection that allows people to ignore or do the bare minimum, but this will not stay that way. Guild battles, possible ship raid, events, who knows what will be attached to ships next.
  • Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Does not compute.

Derp, one should properly look before complaining. I can't complete the capital ship ones... but right friggin next to them are the easy ones. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I propably wouldn't have checked again because mad ^^

Possibly they weren't available when I looked the first time today. Still haven't memorized the schedule. But I might as well just have been too stupid to see them.
  • Options
    Yeah, the capital ship challenges should be to the right of the dailies, if you want my two cents.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Zeta materials and charachter shards. Today I bought 5 Vader shards for 400 ship currency only. That's a bargain. You can buy gear as well, if you don't care about building a fleet battle team. If you care a little, them aim for rank 200. That's what I do, but I don't have time nor ressources to aim for top 10 like I do in arena.
  • Yesac
    362 posts Member
    Options

You need 5 DS ships at 4* in order to do tarkin's challenge that lets you get the executrix to 5* which is required to do the tier 3 mats challenge for zetas, so yes you do need to focus on DS more until you get to that point[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I only have five 3* or better ships so I can't even see the requirements for that challenge.

That makes my future a little more frustrating.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    You can farm the Fleet points in fleet arena at any level, just do the dailies so you can bring that income on. It doesn't take a lot of extra time, there's also auto. :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Barhebraeus
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    You will eventually need the zeta mats. It was probably a mistake to add those to ships, but it's currently the only tie in. To get zetas, you need 5 dark side ships and Tarkin's capital ship. So if the ships don't excite you, then you'll need to build up 5 ds ships at a minimum. I'd ignore the non-DS ships. As you're doing that, build up the pilots. You'll need the 2 tie fighter pilots, GSoldier, Boba, and choose someone else to farm and get their ship. GSpy, Maul, or Sun Fac. You also need to build Tarkin some. I'm not sure what the minimums for those toons are to run the challenge and get the zetas, as I'm not there yet. I'm farming Boba's ship and Maul's ship, because I have a 4* Maul from a chromium pull and never farmed any Genosians.

Don't ignore the LS ships ... once you pass the 5* Tarkin challenge you'll need 8 5* non-capital ships to get the zetas ...
  • Options
    Stick with dark side ships. IG-88 hopefully gets to be a pilot soon! Plus, there aren't any zetas (yet) for droids, but that likely will change at some point too.
  • Options
    Fleet shipments are an added source to farm toons, and I've found them useful in helping me get characters like Wedge closer to 7* sooner than I would if I hadn't earned the daily fleet currency for holding certain rank in fleet arena.