Sometimes random chance just isn't as random as you might think...

SifuSteve
439 posts Member
edited December 2016
Hear me out!

I have always thought all the RNG in this game was sorted out on the fly, during the match. I liked to imagine that luck plays its part and in the exact same situation, if I pressed the same button again, something different would happen... Not so.

It would appear that your 'destiny' is decided the moment you enter a match, to some degree. Obviously you have choices and your choices will effect the outcome but the random elements are all calculated beforehand. This shouldn't alter the player experience in any way as you can't actually see or know how the cards have been laid out but I find it unsettling for some reason.

I totally understand that other games may be coded this way and that this may not be a revelation for many. In all fairness it's probably how they can allow intermittent communication between the game and the server.

But still... Feels a bit odd, right? Or am I just a bit slow on the uptake? (",)
https://youtu.be/cLIXJlywbRY
Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.

Replies

• Options
    GW has always been this way.
  • Options
    Tannjam wrote: »
    GW has always been this way.
    I don't doubt that for a second. But I do doubt that 'only' GW has always been this way. I get that your entire daisy chain is decided in advance. I also think that it's the only real place you can test the fate mechanism. But I don't buy that the rest of the game is somehow coded differently.

I'm probably just the last one to work this out but for a random drunken Tuesday night musing, it's kept me entertained.

Feeling a bit Groundhog Day at the moment. (",)
  • Options
    Random number generators are "seeded". If you provide the same seed value, it will produce the same "random numbers". My guess is that every battle it generates a random seed value (probably from the date/time or some other algorithm). GW however probably stores the seed value so you get the same battle every time you try.

Just because GW is like this, doesn't mean the rest of the game is.
  • Options
    Only gw is this way.

If you go into arena and fight the same exact fight twice, it will go differently.

If you go into the rancor with the same exact squad, retreat then try the exact same things. It will go differently.
  • Options
    Random number generators are "seeded". If you provide the same seed value, it will produce the same "random numbers". My guess is that every battle it generates a random seed value (probably from the date/time or some other algorithm). GW however probably stores the seed value so you get the same battle every time you try.

Just because GW is like this, doesn't mean the rest of the game is.
    Ahh... ok. That's good insight and makes a lot of sense. Cheers. Feeling a lot less Groundhog Day now thanks to you bud.
  • Options
    Mullato wrote: »
    Only gw is this way.

If you go into arena and fight the same exact fight twice, it will go differently.

If you go into the rancor with the same exact squad, retreat then try the exact same things. It will go differently.
    I guess I've never really been able to test it in such a manner as I rarely abort matches and rarely fight the same fight twice. This settles me a lot better so I thank you too.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    I can second that, if you fight the same Arena team (like your and their line-ups haven't changed, even after retreating) the fight will roll different numbers.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Yeah, as has been said, Galactic War's always been like this. But it's really useful information and can reeeally help you a lot.

It's also worth pointing out that one minor change will ripple and affect everything else. So if you do the exact same thing every time (then retreat and do it over again) the results will always be the same. But if you use a different attack, for example, then everything will change--including, most importantly, who the AI will target with their attacks. I've used this in GW in the past to save characters who the AI blitzed down.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I assumed everyone knew this. It's been a pretty integral part of me getting through Galactic Wars for a while now. If my Biggs gets killed by a lucky triple-crit from a Leia half way through, I'll just retreat and use one different attack earlier in the match.

You also used to be able to just switch the placement of your team members when choosing them before the match for a different outcome, but I'm fairly certain they patched that out some time ago.
  • Options
    You can adjust your squad's positions so the right characters assist, say droids for instance. If I see JE assist, I'll retreat and swap JE and Iggy positions. If you change the composition of your squad, you'll have a new rng seed. Just pray to RNGesus and all will be well.
  • Options
    Sifusteve are you a pilot or summit?
  • Options
    Basically it's a deck of cards not dice. Certain inputs in GW result in the same deck, but the deck is shuffled fresh each raid slash PvP attempt.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'm not especially worried as I haven't flunked a GW in about 6 months (them droids is ragin'). It was just an odd thing to happen - only made odd because after a year, I haven't noticed it. I didn't retreat any matches until very recently when I simply fielded the wrong team and wanted to swap them out. For a long time I assumed it would simply count as a loss.
  • crzydroid
    7333 posts Moderator
    Options
    Definitely noticed going into GW and retreating, then going back in and doing the same actions has the same result. My guess is also it has the same seed. Do one thing different, and things will change up.
  • Options
    I had the last fight today be a Douku Lead and I had my Wiggs team in. I ended up retreating a few times, and found no matter who I targeted, Wedge missed at least his first two shots.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    I had the last fight today be a Douku Lead and I had my Wiggs team in. I ended up retreating a few times, and found no matter who I targeted, Wedge missed at least his first two shots.

That's when you toss in a different character into your line up. Changing just one character can give you different results immediately. And then if that's not working try a different character.