10 Reasons Why The Force Awakens Is Utter Garbage

2Next

Replies

• Options
    Totally agree with the items you brought up. Few other things I noticed.
    1. People with Scottish/Irish/British accents. What planet do Scottish accents come from?
    2. Asian gang. What planet do asians come from?
    3. Chewie now looks like fu man chu with his slanty eyes.
    4. Interracial relationship brewing.
    5. Rey either becomes strong with the force way too fast or Kylo is just a major ****.
    6. How could Finn even stand up to kylo for as long as he did?
    Had a few others but can't remember now.
  • Options
    Thanks Disney. It's Star Wars. Not Narnia or Harry Potter.
  • NePlusUltra_kRh
    82 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Supercat wrote: »
    Worst part: says rebels won, but the first order controls the whole galaxy. What?! And then you have to deal with the first order being tiny, and the resistance is even smaller than 100 people...

First Order is not really tiny. It's not Empire-massive, but it has some size. Look at the '****-speech' by general Hux. That's a lot of guys.
    Go back and watch scenes of the resistance base. That's definitely more than 100 people. I'd put money on it being around a few 1000, because there is definitely more Resistance members than just pilots and flight officers.

For anyone confused about the First Order, read this. I know it doesn't cover really any of this in the movie, but then again, that would super-extend the movie to LoTR times...
  • Options
    Mo_man78 wrote: »
    Totally agree with the items you brought up. Few other things I noticed.
    1. People with Scottish/Irish/British accents. What planet do Scottish accents come from?
    2. Asian gang. What planet do asians come from?
    3. Chewie now looks like fu man chu with his slanty eyes.
    4. Interracial relationship brewing.
    5. Rey either becomes strong with the force way too fast or Kylo is just a major ****.
    6. How could Finn even stand up to kylo for as long as he did?
    Had a few others but can't remember now.

4. ehhhhhh??? And this is new/different how? Anakin and Padme are inter-planetary-racial by default. Han and Leia. Obi Wan and his old flame whatsernameagain.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    What do you expect when millenials are taking over and ruining everything. All things new or newish are catered to them. I think the movies should have stopped after episode VI. The first three were complete and utter garbage other then seeing Yoda fight. The cartoon series between movies is garbage and not written by Lucas even though it still has Lucasfilm on it. I'm not even going to mention the fan based books that gave no place in Star Wars. That about as awesome as having a new Harry Potter "book". Which is not written by JK Rowling nor has any place being a book. It is for a play and her name was on it to sell copies even though it was written by 2 complete unknowns.
  • Options
    If I have any typos or grammatical errors, I'm typing this on a tablet really fast.
  • Options
    GrizzlyPip wrote: »
    What do you expect when millenials are taking over and ruining everything. All things new or newish are catered to them. I think the movies should have stopped after episode VI. The first three were complete and utter garbage other then seeing Yoda fight. The cartoon series between movies is garbage and not written by Lucas even though it still has Lucasfilm on it. I'm not even going to mention the fan based books that gave no place in Star Wars. That about as awesome as having a new Harry Potter "book". Which is not written by JK Rowling nor has any place being a book. It is for a play and her name was on it to sell copies even though it was written by 2 complete unknowns.

Um, Revenge of the Sith was amazing! But I agree with everything else so +1
    If I have any typos or grammatical errors, I'm typing this on a tablet really fast.

It's readable so you're goo
  • DarthLucaz
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

There are two kinds of millenials, 90s kids and Hipsters. Hipsters are the ones you are talking about and generally they are a big group of whiners. They tend to listen to pop and hiphopsters like MGMT and Drake. They tend to live in cities without any knowledge of rural peoples. They liked Attack of the Clones the most. They voted for Hillary or didnt vote at all. Then the 90s kids. They grew up on Blink 182, Sublime and Green Day. They refused to listen to American **** because green day sold out. They voted Trump because they hate both parties. They have mixed opinion of the prequels. They were forced by good parents to watch the original trilogy before they were allowed to see Phantom Menace. They hate being grouped with hipsters as millenials.
  • Options
    DarthLucaz wrote: »

There are two kinds of millenials, 90s kids and Hipsters. Hipsters are the ones you are talking about and generally they are a big group of whiners. They tend to listen to pop and hiphopsters like MGMT and Drake. They tend to live in cities without any knowledge of rural peoples. They liked Attack of the Clones the most. They voted for Hillary or didnt vote at all. Then the 90s kids. They grew up on Blink 182, Sublime and Green Day. They refused to listen to American **** because green day sold out. They voted Trump because they hate both parties. They have mixed opinion of the prequels. They were forced by good parents to watch the original trilogy before they were allowed to see Phantom Menace. They hate being grouped with hipsters as millenials.

*Reads last sentence *
    *reads first sentence again*
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Supercat wrote: »

*Reads last sentence *
    *reads first sentence again*

Yeah I'm not proud of that lol. But facts is facts. I'm a millenial no matter how many times I say call me a 90s kid.
  • Options

Thanks for that, I love getting a little bit of info on younger people. BTW...who is MGMT?
  • Options

Blink 182 and Green day....no Sum 41 or My Chemical Romance? But I'm a 90's kid if anything.
  • Options
    Aknf2001 wrote: »

#5 - Finn

I like Finn, and he is my favorite new character from TFA, but something about him bothered me. He was traumatized about his friend dying, yet he didn't hesitate to kill many troopers and mechanics in the First Order Base in the TIE Fighter.

Also, Poe killed his friend. Shouldn't that make his hatred grow for the Resistance not dissolve? Like I said before, I like Finn but some plot holes are going around here...

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Was he traumatized about his friend dying or was he traumatized because of the horror of dying? Then, he sees his "friends" slaughter a bunch of unarmed people. The massacre causes him to question his loyalty for the empire, as in what am I fighting for. The death shows him his own mortality. Finn at this point does not want to die for no cause (shown again when he wants to run from the empire during the cantina scene). With this motivation, killing other troopers is an act of saving himself. He realizes these are people who would gun him down in a second if ordered. He believes at that point a stormtrooper has no friends. Poe isn't the man who killed his friend, but the only person who can get him out of his situation.

I think Finn for the first half of the movie is guided by self preservation and to escape from the empire. Later after meeting Rey, someone who treats him well and admires him, he gains a larger sense of duty.
  • Options
    RedSix wrote: »

#5 - Finn

I like Finn, and he is my favorite new character from TFA, but something about him bothered me. He was traumatized about his friend dying, yet he didn't hesitate to kill many troopers and mechanics in the First Order Base in the TIE Fighter.

Also, Poe killed his friend. Shouldn't that make his hatred grow for the Resistance not dissolve? Like I said before, I like Finn but some plot holes are going around here...

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Was he traumatized about his friend dying or was he traumatized because of the horror of dying? Then, he sees his "friends" slaughter a bunch of unarmed people. The massacre causes him to question his loyalty for the empire, as in what am I fighting for. The death shows him his own mortality. Finn at this point does not want to die for no cause (shown again when he wants to run from the empire during the cantina scene). With this motivation, killing other troopers is an act of saving himself. He realizes these are people who would gun him down in a second if ordered. He believes at that point a stormtrooper has no friends.

Poe isn't the man who killed his friend,

Yes he is^^^ but the only person who can get him out of his situation.

I think Finn for the first half of the movie is guided by self preservation and to escape from the empire. Later after meeting Rey, someone who treats him well and admires him, he gains a larger sense of duty.

Um, First Order engineers and janitors have a good chance of not being blood guilty. He's killing, and whether they have blood on their hands or not, that's wrong and contradicts why he left the First Order.

But treats him well? What, hitting him with a staff and yelling at him while Insulting him is treating him well? Disagree completely of what you said.
  • Options
    I do not agree. I liked rey. She makes sense as a character. Same for kylo ren. Emotional and unstable, still an apprentice. Both have daddy issues. Makes sense.

I'm very afraid for rogue one though. I hope they don't change darth vader. He's not supposed to be like kylo ren.

"Spoiler alert"...

Fears abated. Darth was in his groove. No messing around.
  • Options
    This is the problem of the Star Wars fanbase. It's so atrocious. They will whine how bad the new movie is but when the successor of the movie is released, they will now say that the movie is good and will complain how awful the successor is. If Episode 8 comes out, I am sure that all people will love The Force Awakens and say it is "one of the best movies of all time" and say that Episode 8 is "one of the worst movies of all time". And once Episode 9 is released, it will be next on the hate train and so on. Seriously, these people make me sick.

It also annoys me that people keep hating on movies when the entire trilogy is not even released yet! They should learn how to wait for a movie to be released before complaining how horrible The Force Awakens is. If the entire trilogy is released, then you can complain how bad they were. But it's not released yet. As for now, your statement is invalid.

I also noticed that some of you say that some content of the prequels are better than The Force Awakens. Really? Boring lightsaber duels and fights are better than a completely realistic, sensible, and heartwarming story? I guess it would make sense if you are more into action-based movies than realistic movies.

Also, I disagree with all of your complaints.

1 - It's a rehash of Episode IV

Yes, The Force Awakens is somewhat similar to A New Hope but it's not entirely A New Hope. The Force Awakens has a deeper story that has deeper meanings and has more unsolved mysteries than A New Hope.

2 - Kylo Ren's Whining

So, the reason what makes a character is so great is because he/she is skillful and excellent at doing things that a normal person can't do even he is an annoying character in general? Also, Anakin was the reason why Padme died. Padme died of a broken heart because Anakin turned to the dark side. And no, Kylo Ren didn't just destroy a computer just because some random people escaped from the First Order. What if those people actually had significance to him? When Rey grabs the lightsaber using the Force, Kylo Ren murmurs "It is you." So, Kylo Ren destroying a computer makes sense. If I was him, I would do the same. You will probably do the same too.

3 - Rey

No, she isn't a Mary Sue. Rey needed skills to survive the desert planet on her own. But somehow she made it out of childhood without getting herself into trouble, that's why she is skilled. Also, if Rey is a Mary Sue then Luke is a Gary Stu. Destroying the whole Death Star without actually using a plane on his whole life? Sounds like an even more powerful Gary Stu to me. And no, it isn't feminism propaganda. The hostile environment she used to live required for her to be also hostile if one is to survive a planet like Jakku.

4 - Jar Jar Abrahams

Star Wars is a fantasy movie. Your statement makes no sense.

5 - Finn

He turned to the light side. He realized that killing people for no reason is not the right way. That's why he betrayed the First Order. Why would he regret killing people who killed innocent people? Also, he would be traumatized when his friend "died" because he was the one who helped Finn and he is basically the first good friend of Finn.

6 - Han & Chewie

What if Han was just exaggerating? And why would this be considered as a major problem to the story of The Force Awakens?

7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Only if you are a true fan would appreciate the nostalgia Disney has brought up to The Force Awakens.

8 - It Made The Past 6 Films Useless

The Resistance is the Rebellion. Only difference is that the Resistance opposes the First Order and the Rebellion opposes the Empire. Just got the names changed. No big deal about it.

9 - Lack of Screentime For Luke

It's like saying that you were disappointed because Luke Skywalker didn't have enough screen time in the prequels. Also, would you even trust the trailers? Just because it is in the trailer doesn't mean that it would happen in the actual movie.

10 - Why Is Leia Not A Jedi?

Because she didn't want to become a Jedi. Just because someone is force-sensitive doesn't mean that they have to be a Jedi. Look at Maz Kanata, she is force-sensitive (and a force user in the deleted scenes of the movie) but she isn't a Jedi.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    #7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Nostalgia fanboys drink this movie up because it's similarities to the originals. Disney knows this and they feed people content they've already seen decades ago without them knowing it.

That's funny, because almost all of the non-garbage criticism of The Force Awakens is based on nostalgia. By non-garbage, I mean the stuff that isn't just outright misogyny, like calling Rey a Mary Sue but whitewashing all of Luke's Marty Stu tendencies.
    Worst. Character. Ever. She was a Mary Sue. Some people act like Luke was the same way, when in reality, he had many emotional flaws and was always whining (not to a Kylo extent).
    Oh.

Oh, that's awkward...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    #7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Nostalgia fanboys drink this movie up because it's similarities to the originals. Disney knows this and they feed people content they've already seen decades ago without them knowing it.

That's funny, because almost all of the non-garbage criticism of The Force Awakens is based on nostalgia. By non-garbage, I mean the stuff that isn't just outright misogyny, like calling Rey a Mary Sue but whitewashing all of Luke's Marty Stu tendencies.
    Worst. Character. Ever. She was a Mary Sue. Some people act like Luke was the same way, when in reality, he had many emotional flaws and was always whining (not to a Kylo extent).
    Oh.

Oh, that's awkward...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Luke:
    -Beating a trained enemy in light saber combat with no experience
    -Flying with NO experience
    -Doing mind tricks without learning them at all
    -and more

It's not misogyny if you think a female character is Better than they are supposed to be. That's absolutely crazy. That's just like saying someone is racist if they didn't like Saw Gerrara's character in rogue one. Everyone can have there own opinions, but you have no reason to call people misogonistic for thinking that a movie character does somethings too well based on what we learned about them
  • Options
    You could have just stopped at #1. You don't need any other arguments.

Abrams is a worthless, overrated, hack who made a TV series that was very mysterious, but ultimately about absolutely nothing, a remake of a Trek film and a remake of a Star Wars film, both of which are vastly inferior to the originals.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    #7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Oh.

Oh, that's awkward...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Luke:
    -and more
    --He piloted an X-Wing in combat with trained Imperial TIE fighters with no experience.
    --He blew up the Death Star with no training, no targeting computer, and only innate magic powers.
    --He faces down dozens of stormtroopers.
    --He romances a princess.
    --He single-handedly revives an ancient religion and is the strongest practitioner of its mystical arts with no formal training.
    --The entire Empire is dedicated to corrupting him, specifically, because he is the chosen one.
    --Shoot, give him a wolf pet and a light sabre katana and he's right out of a bad fanfiction.

If you're going to call Rey a Mary Sue, you have to call Luke one, too. But here's the thing: Being a Mary Sue or Marty Stu isn't a bad thing. Gilgamesh, Roland, Arthur, Liu Bei, and Odysseus were Marty Stus. It's one of the defining characteristics of being an epic hero. Epic heroes only get called out on their insane power levels when someone doesn't like them and can't figure out the deeper reason why.

I'm not saying everyone who doesn't like Force Awakens is a misogynyst or whatever... What I'm saying is that people have internal biases that they just don't question, for whatever reason, and when they come up against something they don't like, they assume it's because that thing is bad--not that their biases predispose them to not liking it. It's okay to not like TFA. But the reasons people cite for not liking it are usually smoke screens they throw up so they won't have to admit that seeing a non-traditional epic hero is uncomfortable.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • ObviouslyNot
    433 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Man you have to wait until the trilogy is over to understand why rey is so gifted, and literally every other thing about the movie

If A New Hope was released as a single movie with no trilogy in mind, you would absolutley think the same things about luke that you think about rey.

The reason luke "is ok in most people's books" is because you have seen 5 other movies that help you understand.
    - luke is the son of the chosen one
    - luke's dad was literally one of the most gifted and strongest jedi of all time
    - luke's dad was the best pilot in the galaxy
    - anakin as a kid blew up a Droid control ship with no starfighter ship experience
    - Anakin as a kid was the only human that could pilot a podracer
    - anakin had the highest midichlorian count of all time
    - wow this all makes sense now.

Give the new trilogy time to flesh out, I'm sure all of your questions and annoyances with it will be answered.
  • Options
    Luke flew a T16 Skyhopper and shot womp rats. No experience pffft. Yall trippin.

The problem with Rey is that her story is basic at the outermost layer of her character. A young adult with no one, left to fend for herself. Waiting for whomever left her to return. She's tech savvy from years of scavenging in a war machine graveyard. And suddenly she is force sensitive and beats a well trained albeit wounded warrior.
    Before the Awakening(the book) details about a year of Rey's life before the movie. She has a simulator that she has used for years and has perfected every single ship on its database from starships to freighters and cruisers. She finds and rebuilds a Freightor in secret in the desert over several months. Two other scanvengers help her despite great hesitation on her part. They fully repair the wreck and she flies it around. Finally they go to Unkarr to sell it. She triumphantly shows Unkarr her work only to see the ship leaving the atmosphere. She wanted to stay and wait for whoever left her. They wanted to leave the barren rock. So the flying experience and edginess has a place.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options

Actually, that's precisely what happens in Episode VI - the difference between Luke and Rey is that she actually HAS hand-to-hand experience. Well, staff-to-face. Luke did not. That gives Rey an edge. Also, you can see that she's barely holding her own against Kylo Ren, and he's WOUNDED. Luke, after a few months on Dagobah, goes on to the second Death Star and defeats one of the greatest swordsmen ever.

Suuure. Because Luke's T-16 experience was so very useful in space combat. As "Iron Eagle" has shown us, flying a Cessna is the same as flying an F-16. Obviously.

I don't recall Luke learning them. Like, ever. And then boom, he's an expert on them. Sadly, he completely forgets how to use them on Endor...

• Options
    Ring wrote: »

Actually, that's precisely what happens in Episode VI - the difference between Luke and Rey is that she actually HAS hand-to-hand experience. Well, staff-to-face. Luke did not. That gives Rey an edge. Also, you can see that she's barely holding her own against Kylo Ren, and he's WOUNDED. Luke, after a few months on Dagobah, goes on to the second Death Star and defeats one of the greatest swordsmen ever.

Suuure. Because Luke's T-16 experience was so very useful in space combat. As "Iron Eagle" has shown us, flying a Cessna is the same as flying an F-16. Obviously.

I don't recall Luke learning them. Like, ever. And then boom, he's an expert on them. Sadly, he completely forgets how to use them on Endor...

Almost everything you're saying is in relation to Ep.VI ... but that's Luke's THIRD appearance. Who knows what amount of training he's had at that point?

Even if Rey has the same powerlevel/midichlorian count as Luke, which presumably is the case, all these things happen in a two-hour timeframe (for the audience). They just tried to cram too much too soon in one single movie.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Almost everything you're saying is in relation to Ep.VI ...

Not quite. The X-Wing proficiency bit is about ANH - Luke is flying an X-Wing for the first time in his life and he's already better than trained and experienced TIE pilots. Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd? Sure, he's been flying T-16s for a while, but racing them in canyons is one thing, dogfighting is something completely different.

And what about his blaster skills? For the first time in his life he grabs an E-11 blaster rifle and already he's an expert, fragging stormies left and right, after which, with practically no aiming, he hits a blast-door control panel from the other side of a docking bay. Now, I've been handling guns for a while now and I'm yet to see someone who is proficient with, say, a pistol, grab an assault rifle for the first time and be an expert on that too. How come that doesn't bother anyone? O_o
    Who knows what amount of training he's had at that point?

Training? Most sources (geeks, since there's no official info as far as I know) state that Luke's stay on Dagobah was between a month and 3 months. That's more or less how long Younglings used to have to settle in a the academy in the "good ol' days". And this is practically all the training (well, that plus a couple of hours of in-flight training on the Falcon in ANH) Luke has before going up against the Emperor and Darth Vader. Please note that between ESB and RotJ he had NO lightsaber training, since he lost his old lightsaber at the end of ESB and the deleted scenes from RotJ show him finishing the new one just before heading out to Jabba's palace.
    Even if Rey has the same powerlevel/midichlorian count as Luke, which presumably is the case, all these things happen in a two-hour timeframe (for the audience). They just tried to cram too much too soon in one single movie.

She doesn't, at least not that we know of at this point. What she DOES have, however (and I pointed this out in my previous post), is skill and experience in what we'd call "martial arts". She's skilled with a staff, can hold her own in a fight (which, by the way, doesn't stress her out, so clearly she's been in a few already), which means she has a huge advantage over Luke. And that's why she manages to stand up to a badly wounded Kylo Ren. If he hadn't been hurt, the fight would probably last less than a minute. Compare how well she does with how poorly Finn handles himself - he's good with a blaster, but absolutely sucks at fighting without one (as the fight with TR-8R showed).

Another thing that many people seem to have missed is that at this point Rey seems to have had a brush with the Dark Side. Note that during the final part of the fight, when she gains the upper hand, she seems absolutely furious. She is no longer calm and collected, she has a fire in her eyes, she's clenching her teeth and is almost snarling. THAT is why she wins. And that is the exact same thing that happens to Luke on the second Death Star - he doesn't manage to defeat Vader until he becomes furious at the thought of losing Leia.

• Options
    Also to add onto what @Ring said about rey vs luke in fighting skill....

Remember luke feared the Tuskens, and one even snuck up on him and laid him out.

Rey was apparently used to hand to hand combat. She was handling goons with a stick like no problem.