10 Reasons Why The Force Awakens Is Utter Garbage

Prev1
#1 - It's a rehash of Episode IV

A protagonist on a desert planet has dreams of becoming a pilot and see the galaxies but doesn't know their real parents and runs into an old man who has been through decades of war (Han Solo). They try and successfully take down the government's base by blowing up the exhaust port.

#2 Kylo Ren's Whining

At least when Anakin was whiny, he did cool things like force choking, showing off impressive lightsaber skills, and for a reason (saving Padme's life). Kylo just smashed a computer like a toddler because a few Resistance members got away smh.

#3 - Rey

Worst. Character. Ever. She was a Mary Sue. Some people act like Luke was the same way, when in reality, he had many emotional flaws and was always whining (not to a Kylo extent). I hate bringing propaganda into this, but the part when she yelled "don't hold my hand" when Finn was trying to save her was a bit of a feminist move IMO.

#4 - Jar Jar Abrahams

Or who I like to call: The Franchise Killer. He didn't understand how planets work (the planets were too close to each other which may not be a problem at first but will be once the rotation is just right) in a Star Wars Film!!! I could go on further but I would just like to keep this list short.

#5 - Finn

I like Finn, and he is my favorite new character from TFA, but something about him bothered me. He was traumatized about his friend dying, yet he didn't hesitate to kill many troopers and mechanics in the First Order Base in the TIE Fighter.

Also, Poe killed his friend. Shouldn't that make his hatred grow for the Resistance not dissolve? Like I said before, I like Finn but some plot holes are going around here...

#6 - Han & Chewie

You're telling me through 30 years, Han never even tried Chewie's bowcaster once? That's hard to believe Jar Jar Abrams, but okay.

#7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Nostalgia fanboys drink this movie up because it's similarities to the originals. Disney knows this and they feed people content they've already seen decades ago without them knowing it.

#8 - It Made The Past 6 Films Useless

All the work the Rebellion did was for nothing. Wow. Moving on.

#9 - Lack of Screentime For Luke

In the first trailer, they acted like Luke will be one of or the main character of the movie but was shown at the last minute instead. What a let down.

#10 - Why Is Leia Not A Jedi?

Shouldn't Leia be a Jedi? You would assume if Leia wants to fight so bad, she would do so by chopping up people with a lightsaber and force choking them like Luke did. But nope, she just wants to do absolutely nothing in battle. Don't use her old age as assume reason, we all know in star wars everyone gave their best whether 30, 80, or 900.

Replies

• Options
    I agree but mabye they can make up for they're mistakes in the next movie. I especially agree with the Finn thing I thought it was a little backstory for captain phasma and she started hating the resistance a lot because they killed her friend but no it's Finn and he joins the resistance because they killed his friend doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    I agree but mabye they can make up for they're mistakes in the next movie. I especially agree with the Finn thing I thought it was a little backstory for captain phasma and she started hating the resistance a lot because they killed her friend but no it's Finn and he joins the resistance because they killed his friend doesn't make sense to me.

Glad you agreed on somethings! But the next movie has to be just as good as an original in order to make up for this disappointment.
  • Options
    #1 agree
    #2 I liked it. He's a stroppy kid in this movie, and will grow in the next. Also a fun dig at mardy man-babies.
    #3 Loved Rey. Great character. Full of flaws if you look: she stubbornly refuses help, she's damaged by parental rejection - which works nicely in contrast with Kylo's rejection of his parents. Not sure why you think a 'feminist' move is bad thing, but let's leave that alone.
    #4 Why do you call him Jar Jar? He had nothing to do with character. Not sure what you're getting at with the planets thing, but do you know how light works? Clue: in a way that makes lightsabres completely impossible. In a STAR wars film.
    #5 Fair enough
    #6 Really weird thing to get hung up on. I've known my girlfriend for many years but she's never worn my jeans.
    #7 The film sucks because of its fans?
    #8 What?! The rebellion only destroyed the current form of the Empire. The first order rose in its wake. It's what has happened across history forever. Or did you think blowing up a half built death star, killing an old man and letting some ewoks batter a few troopers would end the entire policital, economic and social structure of the galaxy?
    #9 Luke's a boring character anyway.
    #10 She wasn't trained. Maybe the force wasn't as strong with her? Maybe she didn't want to be a jedi? They were thought extinct, remember? Besides, she spent her time in public service, not boring about on a water farm daydreaming of being a hero.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    #11 if the first order was that small how did they control the galaxy?
    #12 force in rey
    #13 Luke is plain dumb now
    #14 Han Chewie and leia did nothing for 30 years but they were supposedly helping beat up the remaining
    #15 Were was the remaining empire
    #16 R2D2 went on low power mode. He isn't the type of droid that does that, he would go get things done.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    #1 agree
    #2 I liked it. He's a stroppy kid in this movie, and will grow in the next. Also a fun dig at mardy man-babies.
    #3 Loved Rey. Great character. Full of flaws if you look: she stubbornly refuses help, she's damaged by parental rejection - which works nicely in contrast with Kylo's rejection of his parents. Not sure why you think a 'feminist' move is bad thing, but let's leave that alone.
    #4 Why do you call him Jar Jar? He had nothing to do with character. Not sure what you're getting at with the planets thing, but do you know how light works? Clue: in a way that makes lightsabres completely impossible. In a STAR wars film.
    #5 Fair enough
    #6 Really weird thing to get hung up on. I've known my girlfriend for many years but she's never worn my jeans.
    #7 The film sucks because of its fans?
    #8 What?! The rebellion only destroyed the current form of the Empire. The first order rose in its wake. It's what has happened across history forever. Or did you think blowing up a half built death star, killing an old man and letting some ewoks batter a few troopers would end the entire policital, economic and social structure of the galaxy?
    #9 Luke's a boring character anyway.
    #10 She wasn't trained. Maybe the force wasn't as strong with her? Maybe she didn't want to be a jedi? They were thought extinct, remember? Besides, she spent her time in public service, not boring about on a water farm daydreaming of being a hero.

Couldn't disagree more
    Supercat wrote: »
    #11 if the first order was that small how did they control the galaxy?
    #12 force in rey
    #13 Luke is plain dumb now
    #14 Han Chewie and leia did nothing for 30 years but they were supposedly helping beat up the remaining
    #15 Were was the remaining empire
    #16 R2D2 went on low power mode. He isn't the type of droid that does that, he would go get things done.

Exactly, especially #16
  • Options
    Still better than any movie you will ever make.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

True. Because I won't make a movie.
  • Options
    Why do movies like baby females recently? All the crying is so annoying.
    Star Wars VII and Hunger Games.
  • Options

That's not my focus as apart of an audience. How good/bad a movie I can make has nothing to do with this film. Try again with a logical arguement and I'll get back to you ;)
  • Options
    Can't really agree with the OP's conclusion. TFA certainly wasn't ground breaking, but it was a good enough star wars movie. Certainly way better than Episodes I and II. Most of your points sound really far-fetched. I mean, really, physics? In a star wars movie?
    Why do movies like baby females recently? All the crying is so annoying.
    Star Wars VII and Hunger Games.

What do you mean? Kylo isn't female :p
  • Options
    Er.... I guess

1 remake
    2 non original
    3 soft reboot
    4 physics lacking
    5 coincidence land
    6 - I did like kylo as his whining shows how unstable he is - his power requires discipline tho so why is he so unstable....whatever the script needs
    7 incompetent resistance
    8 bigger death star
    9 no explanations for anything
    10 it wipes out all non first 3 movies canon books shows games
    11 no respect for fans - see coincidence land
    12 no explenations for anything
    13 stupid decisions - storm trooper throws gun to fight melee lol what?
    14 music is great but doesen't match with most scenes it feels forced
    15 Finn is psychotic, hates killing then kills former colleagues next scene , he has no name but is super sociable and savy
    16 rey - marry sue, knows how to fly a rare type of ship that didn't flew in years, super independent she don't need no man, gets gun for self defense but refuses it
    17 Han - no reunion tho luke is in movie
    18 kylo feels father aproaching planet in ship but can't feel him 3 feet away
    19 leya feels han but no ideea where here living jedi brother is
    20 I love the actors but there characters are inconsistent

and I'm bored the list goes on

Johny out
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    The more I watch the movie the less I like it
  • Options
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    The more I watch the movie the less I like it

Same here, it was such a disappointment
  • Options
    Disagree with everything except #3

Especially #1 is shortsighted, even more so because you use the nostalgia argument later on. TFA was clearly meant to be a modern take on the entire classic trilogy, not just episode IV. BTW, episode IV wasn't that great a movie, and everyone saying it was are infected by the memberberries themselves.

Short disclaimer: I am NOT saying TFA is an amazing movie, but I don't dislike it either.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Aknf2001
    546 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Disagree with everything except #3

Especially #1 is shortsighted, even more so because you use the nostalgia argument later on. TFA was clearly meant to be a modern take on the entire classic trilogy, not just episode IV. BTW, episode IV wasn't that great a movie, and everyone saying it was are infected by the memberberries themselves.

Short disclaimer: I am NOT saying TFA is an amazing movie, but I don't dislike it either.

I respect your opinion :)
  • Options
    I do not agree. I liked rey. She makes sense as a character. Same for kylo ren. Emotional and unstable, still an apprentice. Both have daddy issues. Makes sense.

I'm very afraid for rogue one though. I hope they don't change darth vader. He's not supposed to be like kylo ren.
  • Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Another reason is real mess in the plot.
    It start with big yellow letters.
    Empire lost, Republic reinstalled, but there is some 'resistance' still fighting against some First order! What the hell is that?!
    1. If Republic reinstalled, it is First order who should be called 'resistance'.
    2. Why republic does not help 'resistance' even under threat of 'billion lives'?
    3. Where the First order took money for building superweapon? What about contractors, material and other resources?! They are not goverment as it was Empire, they are just some organization!

etc. etc.

Film has SOOOO many lacks, guys, you simply can't deny it.
    This part is little drop in th ocean.

Hope they will fire the guy who took scenario from episode 4 wrote scenario for episode 7 and find some professional...
  • Options

True, but it doesn't follow that because it borrowed heavily (ahem) from "A New Hope", it's a bad film. I mean, look at Seven Samurai / Magnificent Seven...

#2 Kylo Ren's Whining

I thought this was quite fun, and personally found Anakin more annoying.

#3 - Rey

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you here actually.

#4 - Jar Jar Abrahams

It's a film, you know, like escapism. Get over it - it's not meant to be accurate to the nth law of astrophysics.

#5 - Finn

I'm with you again on this one.

#6 - Han & Chewie

Good point, well made.

#7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Partly - I *do* know it, and drank it up anyway.

Yep - very good point.

True, he didn't have much screen time, but as McGuffins go, he didn't do too badly ;-)

Because it just wouldn't work with the series as a whole.

So, you made some good points, but nothing that made me think it was a "bad film". I love Star Wars, I saw the flaws, and loved TFA anyway.

• Options
    While I'm not a huge fan of TFA, I did enjoy it.
    I agree with a lot of your points, but strongly disagree with your complaints about Rey and Kylo.
    They're both good characters with the potential to be great as the series moves forward.
    My biggest issues are also plot related.
    If you have the plans and technology to build a weapon that can blow up a planet or three in one shot, how do you not have the foresight to eliminate any critical weaknesses??? Seriously, they entire system was taken out by a former janitor and two retirees.... And why the heck wasn't your Achilles heel under more protection?? Really bad strategy...
    If you're the Resistance, how can you possibly put all hopes of survival into the hands of a guy you literally just met, because he claims to have worked there? And how does no one get more details from him about where he worked. Han finds out he was just a Janitor when the operation is too far gone to be cancelled????
    My biggest issue by far is how Abrams simply ignores time.... The fighters blow up the base in the last second, but Chewbacca has time to get to his ship, fire it up, find and load Rey and Finn and escape ahead of Poe... Finn and Han see Rey from across a very large trench. They turn a corner and Poof, she's there... Where the heck did Phasma come from and why was she alone and how did she have the clearance level to lower the shield around the planet and why didn't she put up a fight at all and... and... and...

I could go on forever, but I still enjoyed it. I was thrilled to see the old characters that I grew up with return and I can't wait for the next one.
    Mace is Snoke
    Jar Jar was a Sith
    Rey is Palp's grandaughter
  • Options
    I do not agree. I liked rey. She makes sense as a character. Same for kylo ren. Emotional and unstable, still an apprentice. Both have daddy issues. Makes sense.

I'm very afraid for rogue one though. I hope they don't change darth vader. He's not supposed to be like kylo ren.

I'm afraid Rogue One will ruin things too, but I have low expectations for it.
    KyleKatarn wrote: »

True, but it doesn't follow that because it borrowed heavily (ahem) from "A New Hope", it's a bad film. I mean, look at Seven Samurai / Magnificent Seven...

#2 Kylo Ren's Whining

I thought this was quite fun, and personally found Anakin more annoying.

#3 - Rey

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you here actually.

#4 - Jar Jar Abrahams

It's a film, you know, like escapism. Get over it - it's not meant to be accurate to the nth law of astrophysics.

#5 - Finn

I'm with you again on this one.

#6 - Han & Chewie

Good point, well made.

#7 - Nostalgia Fanboys

Partly - I *do* know it, and drank it up anyway.

Yep - very good point.

True, he didn't have much screen time, but as McGuffins go, he didn't do too badly ;-)

Because it just wouldn't work with the series as a whole.

So, you made some good points, but nothing that made me think it was a "bad film". I love Star Wars, I saw the flaws, and loved TFA anyway.

You're a respectable person - one who doesn't bash others for their opinions. Tbh me being annoyed at Kylo has slowly decreased.
  • Options
    Kudos @Aknf2001 , it takes a proper gentleman (-woman? I don't know a gender-free equivalent :P) to accept criticism with that much decency, especially on the internet.

I actually have high hopes for Rogue One, since they can't just make things up with this one. The characters, most notably Darth Vader, should suit the events in Star Wars Rebels. Let's hope (young) Vader retains his own enigmatic presence.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    Kudos @Aknf2001 , it takes a proper gentleman (-woman? I don't know a gender-free equivalent :P) to accept criticism with that much decency, especially on the internet.

I actually have high hopes for Rogue One, since they can't just make things up with this one. The characters, most notably Darth Vader, should suit the events in Star Wars Rebels. Let's hope (young) Vader retains his own enigmatic presence.

Thanks! And I'm excited for Vader in 8n Rogue One too!
  • Options
    I personally love the character of Kylo Ren. He is meant to be like a teen on drugs, lashing out at the world around him. Mentally unstable with heavy anger issues. It makes him unique. It would have been sooooooo disappointing to get another Darth Maul or Sidius or Grievous.
  • Options
    In rouge one they should get the info delivered but all die, especially because jyn erso is not in a new hope.
  • DarthLucaz
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    #1. Granted
    #2. If you've never known someone who suffers from depressive disorders you dont understand the character. Imo he nailed the character. Much better than his EU equivelants. God I hated Anakin Solo.
    #3. Hadn't thought of it like that. While I'm not a fan of her either thats stretching things a bit.
    #4. Yeah wasnt a fan of the choice to bring him in from the beginning. While starkiller base makes sense as far as the legacy of the empire and technological advancements go, it was a bit silly. I blame the EU for that as the base was pure homage.
    #5. You are overthinking it.
    #6. Thats not all that hard to believe, especially if you read Bloodlines or Aftermath where they state Han and Chewie have been seperated the majority of the time between TFA and RotJ.
    #7. There are more EU references than ANH copies. Blame those fanboys not us.
    #8. The Jedi are gone. They kept the integrity of the Galactic republic for 1000 years. Of course a republic wont work again after the empire. Read Bloodlines.
    #9. With you on this one. And R2 silent the whole movie? POODOO
    #10. Again read Bloodlines.

Edit: The thing I hated most about TFA and you didn't mention, the worst concieved creature in the galaxy far far away. Rathtars. They were awful. The cgi was 90s quality and the design was just the worst.
    Post edited by DarthLucaz on
  • Aknf2001
    546 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DarthLucaz wrote: »
    #1. Granted
    #2. If you've never known someone who suffers from depressive disorders you dont understand the character. Imo he nailed the character. Much better than his EU equivelants. God I hated Anakin Solo.
    #3. Hadn't thought of it like that. While I'm not a fan of her either thats stretching things a bit.
    #4. Yeah wasnt a fan of the choice to bring him in from the beginning. While starkiller base makes sense as far as the legacy of the empire and technological advancements go, it was a bit silly. I blame the EU for that as the base was pure homage.
    #5. You are overthinking it.
    #6. Thats not all that hard to believe, especially if you read Bloodlines or Aftermath where they state Han and Chewie have been seperated the majority of the time between TFA and RotJ.
    #7. There are more EU references than ANH copies. Blame those fanboys not us.
    #8. The Jedi are gone. They kept the integrity of the Galactic republic for 1000 years. Of course a republic wont work again after the empire. Read Bloodlines.
    #9. With you on this one. And R2 silent the whole movie? POODOO
    #10. Again read Bloodlines.

Edit: The thing I hated most about TFA and you didn't mention, the worst concieved creature in the galaxy far far away. Rathtars. They were awful. The cgi was 90s quality and the design was just the worst.

Yes, I've known someone who suffered from depressive orders - me. Except I felt no remorse or much emotions, I guess there is different kinds. Thankfully I'm mostly over that.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Worst part: says rebels won, but the first order controls the whole galaxy. What?! And then you have to deal with the first order being tiny, and the resistance is even smaller than 100 people...
  • Options
    Worst part: says rebels won, but the first order controls the whole galaxy. What?! And then you have to deal with the first order being tiny, and the resistance is even smaller than 100 people...

True that^^^
  • Options
    @Aknf2001 I know you said you had pretty low expectations for Rogue One...well, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised; it's a far superior movie.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that Vader is FAR more intimidating in this movie that I've ever seen him before. In my opinion, at least.
  • Options
    KyleKatarn wrote: »
    @Aknf2001 I know you said you had pretty low expectations for Rogue One...well, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised; it's a far superior movie.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that Vader is FAR more intimidating in this movie that I've ever seen him before. In my opinion, at least.

@KyleKatarn I'm sure excited to see it!! I heard some on the same level as the orignials. Still having low expectations because that makes any movie better.