To buy or not to buy... Starter packs & such. Price discrepancies.

I recently started playing and love the game. I'm coming from Dungeon Hunter 5 where I paid2win, but they are ridiculously greedy over there and wanted something new.

I read previous threads about buying starter packs and they seem to have changed. Everything seems extremely overpriced. Also there are price discrepancies. I submitted a ticket and have talked with customer support but haven't really gotten an answer back. It shows one price, then when you try to purchase the price goes up? Has anyone else seen this? Here's a break down of what my prices are doing, first is the displayed price, then the price at checkout. I've never seen taxes on in game purchases before, seems shady.

Assassin Droid Bundle: $24.99/27.36
Jedi Starter Bundle: $39.99/43.79
Heroine Starter Bundle: $49.99/54.74

Which packs are worth getting and why?

Replies

• Options
    I didn't buy any but, the only one I wish I had got was the one with Dooku. For me the others were not really worth the price tag.
  • Options
    They are mostly not worth it, just the $5 starter pack was worth it. But now you can only get either dooku/savage/veers. Savage is not that great, don't know about Veers, but he doesn't seem to be used that much, so that says something.
    Creator of Dutch Bier Alliance [DBA] - Come and join if you're Dutch. More casual/low level? Come join Dutch Bier Alliance Academy [DBAA]
  • Options
    Welcome!

If you're being priced in CA$, there was a recent post that the CA$ prices have gone up (as a result of the devaluation of the Canadian Dollar), so the lower prices may be a display bug as a result of that change.

Over the long term, none of the bundles are worth it over buying the most crystals you can afford and refreshing Cantina (for shards) and LS/DS (for gear). However, when just starting out, a bundle helps build a team quickly to move up the Arena ladder early on a server.

People here probably can correct me, but if you want to concentrate on Arena I think that the Droid starter pack may be useful (Droids have great synergy), but if you want to improve GW you may want the Heroine start bundle (the extra healer is most useful).
  • Options
    Amalthea wrote: »
    Welcome!

If you're being priced in CA$, there was a recent post that the CA$ prices have gone up (as a result of the devaluation of the Canadian Dollar), so the lower prices may be a display bug as a result of that change.

Over the long term, none of the bundles are worth it over buying the most crystals you can afford and refreshing Cantina (for shards) and LS/DS (for gear). However, when just starting out, a bundle helps build a team quickly to move up the Arena ladder early on a server.

People here probably can correct me, but if you want to concentrate on Arena I think that the Droid starter pack may be useful (Droids have great synergy), but if you want to improve GW you may want the Heroine start bundle (the extra healer is most useful).

Thanks for the heads up, why are people not in Canada paying Canada prices? I'm certainly not buying anything then. I think you're right about buying crystals and not the packs. They put a limited time only thing on them to try and get new players to bite. Well not this guy! I wish there was a $5 starter pack, I'd totally buy that. But it's not available for me, they must have gotten rid of anything affordable.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Roadhouse wrote: »
    Assassin Droid Bundle: $24.99/27.36
    Jedi Starter Bundle: $39.99/43.79
    Heroine Starter Bundle: $49.99/54.74

Which packs are worth getting and why?

If you are going to spend money on this game, the dark side, heroine and assassin packs are worth considering.
    Dark side pack: super cheap, kind of a no-brainer, was better when Dooku was guaranteed.
    Heroine: Barriss was nerfed but then GW was changed and she's SUPER useful there. She will also help you a lot leveling up and staying competitive in arena at lower levels. She can be farmed but only very slowly. Asajj is also good in many ways, though bugged. Ahsoka Tano needs a rework but if she gets one she will be solid.
    Assassin droid pack: Relatively inexpensive and immediately useful, many players are still running this sort of team even at high levels. I wish I bought this one. That said, the droids are among the more easily farmed characters at lower levels (unlike someone such as Barriss or Dooku).

The Jedi pack is weak right now because Mace was poorly implemented. If they redo/buff him he'll be good to get.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    [/quote]
    If you are going to spend money on this game, the dark side, heroine and assassin packs are worth considering.
    Dark side pack: super cheap, kind of a no-brainer, was better when Dooku was guaranteed.
    Heroine: Barriss was nerfed but then GW was changed and she's SUPER useful there. She will also help you a lot leveling up and staying competitive in arena at lower levels. She can be farmed but only very slowly. Asajj is also good in many ways, though bugged. Ahsoka Tano needs a rework but if she gets one she will be solid.
    Assassin droid pack: Relatively inexpensive and immediately useful, many players are still running this sort of team even at high levels. I wish I bought this one. That said, the droids are among the more easily farmed characters at lower levels (unlike someone such as Barriss or Dooku).

The Jedi pack is weak right now because Mace was poorly implemented. If they redo/buff him he'll be good to get.[/quote]

I'm not showing a dark side pack? Will it come after the temporary ones run out?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Usually that's the first one offered, I thought. (Teaser price.) What level are you?
  • Options
    I'd get the droid bundle, IG-88/IG-86 are good. The Heroine started bundle is definitely not worth it imo. You can farm the droid bundle for free, but you get a decent boost.
  • Options
    I'm a few points from 35. 3 days in
  • Options
    I should've bought the droid bundle when I had the chance
  • Options
    If I've already got a character, such as the IG-86 Sentinel Droid, and I buy the pack, will I have two or will they combine to a stronger one?
  • Options
    If I've already got a character, such as the IG-86 Sentinel Droid, and I buy the pack, will I have two or will they combine to a stronger one?

You will get shards instead which you can use to promote. Generally not many shards though (eg, a 4* unlock is about 80 shards, but I think you get about 25 (or much less) when you pull the character again). Less shards for other characters (as few as 7 for 1* unlocks).

Also, regarding CA$, if you're in the US that's not the problem. I don't see any discrepancies between listed prices and Apple store prices for crystals (I cannot see the bundles anymore), maybe Google pay is showing you the sales tax figures?

• Options

You'll get shards to promote him.
  • Options
    If I could re-do my first week on the game, I'd buy the droid bundle without second thought. 86 is lethal, I haven't yet used 88 as I only have him at 4* but once I get him to 5* I imagine he'll be just as lethal as 86.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options

I am surprised it is not there. I thought it was the first one. Could be wrong. You might try contacting customer support, though they are notoriously unhelpful.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »

I am surprised it is not there. I thought it was the first one. Could be wrong. You might try contacting customer support, though they are notoriously unhelpful.

Yeah, I started a few weeks ago, and the DS bundle opened up at the same time as the DS missions (15 or so). Unfortunately, it was Greedo (totally useless). IMO don't buy Greedo, get the Droids instead (and farm Daka unlock ASAP in Cantina) and you'll be good for DS missions for a while.

• Options
    I wish I'd have bought the daily crystal bundle in the beginning. The only character bundle that appealed to me is the one with Barriss Offee once i found out that she's a awesome healer, but for $50 there's no way i can afford that, i have mouths to feed lol. With only a chance to get Dooku i wouldn't spend $5, My luck i would end up getting Savage oppress.. Unless you have spare cash to gamble with I'd just get crystals and farm dooku in level 1 light and lvl 1 dark side hard matches, that's How i got him. I mainly use my crystals for energy refreshes and that helps get shards quicker.
  • Options
    Well I bought the droid pack, immediately regret it. I sure hope they can build up to better characters but they are very weak initially.
  • Options
    I purchased the Kylo pack. No regrets on it, it had a lot more upside than the others IMO.
  • Options
    Well I bought the droid pack, immediately regret it. I sure hope they can build up to better characters but they are very weak initially.

The droids team is well documented and works very well. Check the other section on characters and strategy and it will help.
  • Options
    The droid bundle is the best value in the game. Farm poggle and GS then get the droids past 4* without wasting time on many other heroes for the Arena.

You won't regret your arena ranking when they are maxed out, and frankly the price is cheap compared to all other bundles. Here is a tip for droid squad, focus on level and abilities first, then gear. The droids crit ratings go nuclear when there abilities are high. When you level into the 50's, switch to gear first, abilities and then level last.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the guides and work on them.
  • Options
    Droid are excellent high end. You combine three droids, Poggle, and Poe.... One of the toughest non whale teams. If not the toughest. Just be sure to level 88 first, Open Poggle through GW then Lumi(Poggle is viable at any level at 4*), then max 86. After you get 88 to 6 or 7*, level HK. Be sure to farm poe in cantina shipments, and level JC through his cantina node to help in GW.