PSA - Don't Omega Cassian's Crippling Shot

DrD
91 posts Member
So I just did the math and have determined that the Omega on Cassian's second special, Crippling Shot, is almost worthless. I wanted to share this with the community and call on the developers to change that Omega to a +15% damage increase or at least something besides Cooldown -1.

Here's an explanation:

In addition to calling a K2 assist and spreading 5 different debuffs, Cassian's second ability, Shock Grenade, grants him 20% TM for each debuffed enemy afterward. So if all enemies are debuffed after using it, he'll gain 100% TM, allowing him to go again. Since Crippling Shot grants no turn meter and is also debuff dependent, there's almost no situation where you would use it before Shock Grenade. One exception I can think of is if all enemies have Tenacity Up and no debuffs already, at which point using Crippling Shot is kind of a waste anyway, so you could just use his basic.

Assuming you Omega Shock Grenade, which is the obvious first omega to give to Cassian, it has a 2 turn cooldown. With Crippling Shot at level 7 (not omega'd), it has a 4 turn cooldown, so the turn sequence would basically always look like this (with SG = Shock Grenade, CS = Crippling Shot, and B = basic):

SG > CS > SG > B > SG > CS > SG > B > SG > CS > ...

So you'd use Shock Grenade every odd turn (1, 3, 5, ...) and alternate between Crippling Shot and his basic on the even turns.

Let's say you omega Crippling Shot as well, giving it a 3 turn cooldown. Here's the new turn sequence:

SG > CS > SG > B > SG > CS > SG > B > SG > CS > ...

It's exactly the same! Every time Crippling Shot comes out of its 3 turn cooldown, Shock Grenade will always be off cooldown, and since it's almost never appropriate to use Crippling Shot first, the 1 turn reduction in cooldown is pointless.

In summary, I highly suggest people hold off using an omega on Crippling Shot until the developers change the bonus to something besides reduced cooldown, unless you really think having an option every 3 turns, that you'll almost never use until the following turn anyway, is worth it.

Replies

• scuba
    14184 posts Member
    Options
    It probably works great like that on offense on defense the ai will not properly spread the debuffs.
  • Options
    Don't have cassian even close to unlocked so don't care lol
  • scuba
    14184 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Danbloo wrote: »
    Don't have cassian even close to unlocked so don't care lol

Well there are many that do.
  • Options
    Outstanding :)
  • Options
    Excellent information. Ty.
  • Options
    Of course you won't always get 5 debuffs and then the omega is useful.
    But with jyn's lead he has a pretty decent chance for 5 people to get debuffs.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • DrD
    91 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It doesn't only care if he lands his debuffs though. It also counts existing debuffs. So there's an especially good chance of all enemies being debuffed in any team that would run him, which would still grant him 100℅ TM.
  • Options
    Why not just do this?
    SG > CS > B > SG > CS > B > SG > CS > B > SG > CS > B...

Just because SG is off cooldown doesn't mean you have to use it. The debuffs last for two turns so there isn't really any need to re-inflict them every other turn, especially since Cassian will be going so much more often than they will.
  • DrD
    91 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Except the debuffs are randomly assigned, they inflict Expose if running Jyn lead, and call K2 assist if he's present. And if all enemies are debuffed, you get a free turn, so it costs nothing to use. It also makes CS stronger on its subsequent use.

Again, not saying there's no case where the lower cooldown can be useful, it's just going to be rare enough not to be worth the omega.
  • Options
    Upgrading abilities upgrades a pilot's crew rating. This might not be a priority Omega, but it's something to do eventually.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I'd still like the Omega made to be worth getting. The current version seems like an oversight by the developers, albeit one that's definitely not obvious. That's why I wanted to post this.
  • scuba
    14184 posts Member
    Options
    DrD wrote: »
    I'd still like the Omega made to be worth getting. The current version seems like an oversight by the developers, albeit one that's definitely not obvious. That's why I wanted to post this.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely something to think about.
  • Options
    I read that his crippling shot is the highest special damage attack in the game. Not omega it will lower your DPS.
  • Options
    Lysiris wrote: »
    I read that his crippling shot is the highest special damage attack in the game. Not omega it will lower your DPS.

Yup, the omega ability is worth it in my opinion for that reason https://swgoh.gg/abilities/special/
  • Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »

Yup, the omega ability is worth it in my opinion for that reason https://swgoh.gg/abilities/special/

According to swgoh.gg the omega doesn't change the damage multiplier, so unless you're specifically using it for the damage (and under Jyn lead it's far more worth it to use it to apply Expose) the omega doesn't do much for you.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

According to swgoh.gg the omega doesn't change the damage multiplier, so unless you're specifically using it for the damage (and under Jyn lead it's far more worth it to use it to apply Expose) the omega doesn't do much for you.

I don't really know about that... I would expect the raw damage to be higher than expose damage
  • Options

I don't really know about that... I would expect the raw damage to be higher than expose damage

There's no damage boost from level 7 to level 8 though. You get to use it more often, but Cassian has the opportunity to apply multiple Expose effects at once, so the most sensible route is to use it after grenade; the only thing that would change with omega is that you could use it out of sync with grenade (e.g., same raw damage, but the omega lets you use it without grenade first, in which case you're doing the same raw damage but with less chances to expose.