Wiggs mystery solved

Odin_Noah
230 posts Member
edited December 2016
It has dawned on me that in the movies, Wedge and Biggs don't really have any link other than being on the same 6-man team. So why do they have one of the best synergies in the game together?

The answer is that the developers are secretly Final Fantasy fans. If you recall FF6(or3) had Wedge and Vicks(later named biggs) as reocurring character names. The duo is usually bad guys, like Rocksteady and Bepop. However, in those games they always have synergy since they are usually like brothers. Even though FF stole the names from the original Star Wars trilogy(they were fans of SW), the synergy between those names is best established in FF.

So to conclude; SWGOH gave a respect nod to FF by creating a synergy so strong it was meta.

If this isn't the truth, then where is the Porkins synergy?

Replies

• Options
    Its from the whales who cried at purchasing wedge from aurodnium and him being complete horsepoo... (i would have too) but after his rework, EA decided to end aurodniums and make start bringing out as attainable and farmable toons...they brought balance to the galaxy.

Despite there synergy being bat guanno crazy powerful, they are now the best example of farmable must have toons.

Will they go the way of the dooku bird? Only time will tell, personaly I'd like them stay how they are
  • Options
    Odin_Noah wrote: »
    It has dawned on me that in the movies, Wedge and Biggs don't really have any link other than being on the same 6-man team. So why do they have one of the best synergies in the game together?

The answer is that the developers are secretly Final Fantasy fans. If you recall FF6(or3) had Wedge and Vicks(later named biggs) as reocurring character names. The duo is usually bad guys, like Rocksteady and Bepop. However, in those games they always have synergy since they are usually like brothers. Even though FF stole the names from the original Star Wars trilogy(they were fans of SW), the synergy between those names is best established in FF.

So to conclude; SWGOH gave a respect nod to FF by creating a synergy so strong it was meta.

+1, ff7 is the best
  • Options
    I would actually place Wiggs in the same category as Rey. Insanely powerful attack and was meta for a while but fell out of favour as other characters came into play that could one-shot her or otherwise shut her down before she did anything. Ironically, I think it was Wiggs and Palpatine that expedited her fall from grace.

IMHO, Daze is the Achilles Heel to the Wiggs combo. Biggs' assist attack isn't as powerful without Wedge chipping in (or the actual assist happening, for that matter), nor is he as intimidating without that 100% TM gain whenever he gets critically hit. Thus, characters like Maul who can inflict AoE Daze are a very effective counter to Wiggs. Sadly, Maul is rather slow and isn't likely to act in time to actually stop Wiggs from doing their thing so he isn't going to render them obsolete but a new, faster character with a similar ability just might.
  • Options
    Loose_Lee wrote: »
    Its from the whales who cried at purchasing wedge from aurodnium and him being complete horsepoo... (i would have too) but after his rework, EA decided to end aurodniums and make start bringing out as attainable and farmable toons...they brought balance to the galaxy.

Despite there synergy being bat guanno crazy powerful, they are now the best example of farmable must have toons.

Will they go the way of the dooku bird? Only time will tell, personaly I'd like them stay how they are

Lol Dooku bird.
  • Options
    Hk lead with K2 will almost certainly get a counter in and crit boosting tm to 100% and going b4 biggs, getting the daze in. The key is if biggs is fastest on enemy team or 2nd fastest.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    Donbot89 wrote: »

+1, ff7 is the best

Tactics was, and still is, the best title under the FF name.
  • Options
    Ha totally forgot the FF7 reference to them.. <3
  • Options
    Pretty sure Biggs and Wedge have been in all the FF games, along with a ****, as an in-joke because the developers of that series were Star Wars fans.

Wedge is strong based on his EU content. None of that is canon any more, but that's not important--this game isn't canon, either, so it's a moot point. Biggs... I don't know. I assume the same rationale. All I know of him is that he has a moustache and gets blown up. Time to do a wookiepedia deep dive, I guess.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Mol_Kelly
    259 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Oh my god yes! I've played when it came out on my ps1, continued to play it when my ps1 died and had to play it on the ps2 and still play FFT on my phone.... unbelievably addicting... best title of the series by far
    Maegor wrote: »
    Donbot89 wrote: »

+1, ff7 is the best

Tactics was, and still is, the best title under the FF name.

• Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Nope, they didn't "stole", FF's devs as sw fans took those names as a tribute/homage
    check it on the FF wikis :p
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    Finished my wookieepedia dive. Meh. Like everything else in fandom, it fetishizes minor characters and makes all of them major heroes (apparently in the original EU canon he stole the Death Star plans, for example). But he and Wedge flew a lot of missions together before Yavin 4. So their synergy stands to reason.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Fandom are not the only ones that fetishize minor characters (Devs I'm looking at you)

Luke, hero to many young boys in my age group, pretty much a non presence in this game. The two pilots that actually blew up Death Stars, not pilots in this game. However famous heroes such as the Jawa Engineer are quite commonly used.

Sure Luke is a bit whiny but someone needs to show him so love, or at least a Jedi or Pilot role :)
  • Options
    Wedge and Biggs are also apearing in FF XV