What do whales spend their money on? And how much would it be considered to call someone a whale?

Prev1
Hi! I'm new to the forums and the game, started around christmas and I have been playing non-stop since then. My question is:
I always see everybody talking about the whales, big spender guys that wrecks everyone because of the money they spent, but I don't really now how and where they do it. Do they buy only crystals and use it to refresh energy? Buy crystals to buy chromium packs? Buy only crystals to buy shards from the shipments? Buy toon's packs when they appear? What is the "right way" to spend money in this game?

I'm asking that because I got a few spare bucks from christmas and was willing to spend in this game, but a couple of guys told me that it's not worth to spend money on farmable toons (was talking about the AA+Luminara and Droid packs) and I can't seem to find a viable way to get really good toons so soon (because in my arena (lvl 48) there's already a lot of players with Lando/Wiggs, Rogue One teams and other really op things).
And how much is a ok amount to spend ? Because if a whole lot of money is needed to just be an ok thing to begin, I wont ever bother and keep as a f2p player, but if just a few bucks now and then can really help you, I might consider.

Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    Whales spend thousands. Your kidding yourself if you think a few hundred dollars will get you anywhere. WHALES SPEND THOUSANDS on a mobile game.... Don't be that dumb.
  • Rui
    80 posts Member
    Options
    If you're only going to spend $20 are so a month buy the crystals subscription. $20 gets you 100 crystals a day for 20 days I think. And use the crystals for energy refreshes are possibly some gear. Packs and chroms aren't worth it unless you plan to spend $10,000+
  • Options
    I think being a whale is more of an attitude. Like if a new character comes out or you hit a roadblock if you're first thought is to spend your way out of it then you're probably a whale.
  • Options
    Gear. From shipments.
  • Options
    I think being a whale is more of an attitude. Like if a new character comes out or you hit a roadblock if you're first thought is to spend your way out of it then you're probably a whale.

An attitude, huh? Let's not start whale shaming again. Whales have disposable income that allow us to spend. We make this game happen for F2P and for those who don't spend a lot. Appreciate us.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    I treat the game like Netflix or Hulu... it is a distraction / entertainment for me. I give myself a monthly budget and buy crystals for that budget. Your best bet is to figure out your budgeted and wait for sales on crystal packs. You don't need to spend a lot to compete (I have been top 3 on my shard for the last 2 months and top 100 since starting about a year ago, but you do have to spend wisely.

As far as spending, my advice is restrict it to gear and energy refreshes. Packs are useless unless you want to dump hundreds/thousands of dollars. Until EA/CG is made to disclose the drop rates (there is a new law going into effect in China in May that may force them too for mobile games), stay away from packs. Research the team comps you want to build and work in a systematic way to get there. The game is a grind. A good plan will help you.

Hope this helps.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • Options
    Yes to all the things you suggested. Whales spend money on everything. That's what makes them whales. Crystals, packs, whatever. Then they spend their crystals on packs, gear, chromiums, aurodiums, energy, shipments, refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh. They buy these things until they reach their daily limit of refreshes, and then they buy some more.
    If you got a few extra bucks, buy a crystal subscription and maybe a vault. Spend it slowly on energy refreshes and hard-to-farm gear pieces. When it's gone you may begin to understand how deep a whale is willing to dive into their wallet.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is buy the rogue one pack. Even at low star level they are so good.
    Spend the rest of money on high end gear in the shipments.
    Nuff said
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Yes, I realized whales would spend ridiculous amount of money in this game, but I was trying to understand what they spent on. I think I'll go the route DarthBarron said and keep a monthly budget, will start with the shard subscription and them after some time will see if I want to spend more/less/keep the same amount.
    Thanks!

Just one last thing: I'm hitting 2 refreshes on cantina and one refresh on energy daily, which makes my crystals end the day in the same amount they started. If I get the subscription should I save those 100 crystals and wait for gears that I want to show up or should I get another refresh for cantina or for the LS/DS battles?
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    My guild has a few whales, I know they spent at least $20-30k USD on this game, they maxxed out almost everything, and have heaps of the stock (I called it 'whales-gear-warehouse"). For instance they have 20+ furnaces and 20+ mk3 carbanti array in stock, so once their GK is born, they can get him to G11 for less than 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Actually this game is pretty fair to P2W and F2P players, if you are willing to spend $1000, you won't have great advantage than F2P players in long term, unless you spend much more than that, till a threshold I'd say $10k
  • Options
    I've sent $120, what am I?
  • Options
    The common misconception of whales is that it is determined by dollar amount. Not so.
    Whales may spend frivolously or strategically, but one thing is consistant. Anything directly or indirectly purchasable they have. Whales come in all shapes and sizes. From the big blue whales that spend thousands over a short period of time to wee Belugas who invest their hundreds here and there for optimum efficiency.
    Then there's those pesky Narwhals. Spending hundreds only to find an easier route days later. Theyre the dangerous ones, some are here on the forums and they tend to get what they want when complaining Even if it means the rest of us get scewered.
    If you want a dollar amount on it I'd say $1000/year is the number. Under that youre a dolphin or porpoise. Remember the days when video games only cost $50-$60 and you got the whole thing?
  • Options

120$ broker?
  • Options
    Bigboy2004 wrote: »

120$ broker?

Zing!
  • NicolasRage
    1038 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Whales are people that are over privileged with mommy's credit card or grown adults with real careers that have disposable incomes. If you are neither of those, don't bother thinking you'll be a whale.

On the other hand, by all means, spend money on this game, it helps the game grow and give us new content. I've been playing for around 10 months and have spent around $600-$800, I am by no means a whale, but this game is a fun hobby, and if you have a few extra bucks each week, buy some crystals.

I'd say the best way to spend would be the crystal subscription option. Or just flat out buy crystals and use them to buy gear. Chromium and other packs and all that garbage aren't worth it unless you have a gambling addiction to satiate.
  • Options

a shrimp
  • Options

a shrimp

seaweed
  • Options
    Whales are most successful if they spend large amounts when the game is first released. Squad arena pays out the most crystals to the top players. If they buy themselves into top five right away - they will continue to earn the most crystal and continue to build stronger teams at a faster rate.
  • Options
    Since it's mentioned here, what exactly does one have to do to unlock the 21 day crystal deal? I'm f2p and have no access to it, but a friend told me it showed up for him after he purchased something. Any details?

Sorry for the tiny derail.
  • Options
    Since it's mentioned here, what exactly does one have to do to unlock the 21 day crystal deal? I'm f2p and have no access to it, but a friend told me it showed up for him after he purchased something. Any details?

If you are on android, no deal for you, it's only iOS, but you got KS2O for free ^_^
  • Options
    What are you on about??
    It's on android.
  • Options

Where did you sent it?
  • Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TofuMao wrote: »

If you are on android, no deal for you, it's only iOS, but you got KS2O for free ^_^
    slugbahr wrote: »
    What are you on about??
    It's on android.

Huh? :blush:

Playing on android.
  • Options
    MaTucci wrote: »
    Just one last thing: I'm hitting 2 refreshes on cantina and one refresh on energy daily, which makes my crystals end the day in the same amount they started. If I get the subscription should I save those 100 crystals and wait for gears that I want to show up or should I get another refresh for cantina or for the LS/DS battles?
    Thanks again!

Levels are very important for arena, I would say to buy two energy and only 1.5 cantina refreshes per day at that crystal expense level. If you can, do two of each refresh per day and then save any left over for gear.

It is actually possible to consistently rank in the top five of arena without spending money, but you have to be very active, and you have to know exactly what to do from right at the start. Once you have fallen behind it is very difficult to catch up without spending quite a bit on levelling, gear, and mods.
  • Options
    Droid pack isn't a bad investment as far as starter packs go.
    - R.I.P. Carrie Fisher -
  • Options
    MaTucci wrote: »
    Thanks again!

Levels are very important for arena, I would say to buy two energy and only 1.5 cantina refreshes per day at that crystal expense level. If you can, do two of each refresh per day and then save any left over for gear.

It is actually possible to consistently rank in the top five of arena without spending money, but you have to be very active, and you have to know exactly what to do from right at the start. Once you have fallen behind it is very difficult to catch up without spending quite a bit on levelling, gear, and mods.

Thanks!
    I can afford 2 refreshes of each per day, will do that. Just don't really know what to do with the energy, should I just farm gear? (I've beaten every level I can, the ones that are left is because I can't beat them right now).
    I can easily get below rank 50 on arena, but tried to get 20 today and couldnt, getting wrecked by Lando+Wiggs and those Rogue One teams (I'm almost lvl 50, with a GS 6*, STH, Phasma, JC and QGJ 4* as my arena team. I do have a 4* Tarkin/Chewie too, but I think the JC heal is very useful in arena)
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

An attitude, huh? Let's not start whale shaming again. Whales have disposable income that allow us to spend. We make this game happen for F2P and for those who don't spend a lot. Appreciate us.

I agree with this - and I definitely appreciate the whales. I'm just a guppy, but I appreciate not only the fact that whales make the game possible (and ad free) for all, but many post some very helpful information about heroes, gear, levels, etc., since they get them first and can help us avoid dumb mistakes.

Most of the videos and "how to" threads and guides are put together by whales and their guilds. Some of them, I am lucky enough to share a good with (WildGrunt, as an example).

Go hug a whale! Or at least thank one. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I agree with this - and I definitely appreciate the whales. I'm just a guppy, but I appreciate not only the fact that whales make the game possible (and ad free) for all, but many post some very helpful information about heroes, gear, levels, etc., since they get them first and can help us avoid dumb mistakes.

Most of the videos and "how to" threads and guides are put together by whales and their guilds. Some of them, I am lucky enough to share a good with (WildGrunt, as an example).

Go hug a whale! Or at least thank one. ;)

Awww! You're a good man!

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    Guys! There are some rich nerds in this world. Stop hating on them. Be thankful that nerds can succeed so hard that they waste money on a dumb Star Wars game for cell phones. That means that you too can succeed! Learn to code and go make some moneys!

Also I've spent $20 on this game so far and finished rank 5 in arena today. But I'm only lvl 56... I'm sure there are more whales coming for me.
This discussion has been closed.