Mods are going to make me quit

Prev1
I've been playing the game for well over a year. Lots of starred.and geared characters. Even spent money occasionally. But I have been avoiding mods, and it is starting to be my bottleneck.

I hate them. I hate farming them, with drop rates that are crazy low. I just don't seem to get anything worthwhile from challenges... The right side of all my characters are empty. I save up for mod packs, but they are rare. I would buy them ,but rarely see 5 dots for sale for cash.

Am i missing something? I see F2P players with full rosters of five dot mods... Did they just get them at the beginning before the drop rate nerf?

If there isn't an easier way that banging my head against a .01% drop rate for the next year and a half, I am ready to call it quits.

How to mod?

Replies

• Options
    Use the mod shipments, if there is a speed primary buy it. Always worth it in my book.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    It's not the mods themselves imo its the random multiple bumps to the same stats. Especially speed.

If they would just make it gold mods is just an open book, what you see is what you get... that would do wonders.

Though I would guess it would severely hurt the mod shop since farming/grey mods could actually be useful.
  • Options
    It's gonna be even worse when the 6-7 rarity mods are coming...
  • Options
    Easybee wrote: »
    I've been playing the game for well over a year. Lots of starred.and geared characters. Even spent money occasionally. But I have been avoiding mods, and it is starting to be my bottleneck.

I hate them. I hate farming them, with drop rates that are crazy low. I just don't seem to get anything worthwhile from challenges... The right side of all my characters are empty. I save up for mod packs, but they are rare. I would buy them ,but rarely see 5 dots for sale for cash.

Am i missing something? I see F2P players with full rosters of five dot mods... Did they just get them at the beginning before the drop rate nerf?

If there isn't an easier way that banging my head against a .01% drop rate for the next year and a half, I am ready to call it quits.

How to mod?

I am F2P and have a pretty solid collection of mods. https://swgoh.gg/u/indominable j/mods/

I didn't get anything before the drop rate nerf (I'm not sure I completed any of the challenges at that point). I've gotten my mods by farming, farming, farming, as well as trolling the store for mods for credits. (Note, if you're not getting many 5 dots for credits,have you completed tier 3 of the defense mod challenge? Completing that tier increases the rate 5 dots show in the shop).

You have to focus on mods, at least for periods of time. I will farm a challenge for a week or two in between farming characters from cantina. Without mods you **cannot** compete at higher levels.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    Farm them like everybody else..
    I almost quit when mods were released. Didn't even play the whole first week they were introduced because I did not like them either.
    I soon realized they aren't that bad and actually add a whole new, fun dimension to the game. It's fun to make certain characters even better then what they are good at. For instance; it's fun to make my yoda super fast and throw out foresight+ tenacity. It's fun to make lando aoe for 20k. It's fun to have people try over and over to stun/shock my sf because he is at 90 tenacity. It's fun to stack protection on my gk and give him insane amounts of protection. It really is fun.

A big reason why I hated mods at the beginning is because I feel it was a very greedy, terrible way to add another grind; since we were already going through a huge grind at that time. Plus the way the released it was terrible with all the bugged drop rate and all the info they gave us in 1 day.
    I didn't play the first week of mods and did not benefit from the first day of mods, sadly :(

But I grew to like mods after I started farming them. I was in the same situation as you; just not as long as you.
    I suggest start farming them and check them out.
  • Options
    The drop rate for mods is farking pathetic. Mods are a forced implementation to create viable squads & they know this so it's never going to get better.
  • Maljr1980
    493 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If your goal is to have 6 5* mods each with 20+ speed on your arena team it's not going to happen. The best thing to do is unlock the last tier of health mod challenges and start farming for 4 and 5 star mods. Use all your cantina energy and refreshes on them for a week. Sell the 1-3* mods if you want. Start equipping them on your core group of characters.
    Even if they aren't great mods, you will get +30% health, some extra protection, and increased offense and defense and other key stats. You will at least have a team of characters with greater power, probably in a more balanced fashion, it would be like adding a couple gear levels or stars to your team and help you climb in arena and galactic war.
    Once you have that base, then you can look to specialize mods on key characters and start looking for mods with key attributes.
  • Options
    Getting 5* isn't exactly hard, getting arena/aat raid mods worthy though... thats a all different story.
    After 4 weeks of spending 4 refreshes per day, of checking mod shipments, and buying credit packs (till the daily cap), I have yet to find an upgrade to my arena/raid mods.. so, yes, it's frustrating to say the least.
  • Options
    Maljr1980 wrote: »
    If your goal is to have 6 5* mods each with 20+ speed on your arena team it's not going to happen. The best thing to do is unlock the last tier of health mod challenges and start farming for 4 and 5 star mods. Use all your cantina energy and refreshes on them for a week. Sell the 1-3* mods if you want. Start equipping them on your core group of characters.
    Even if they aren't great mods, you will get +30% health, some extra protection, and increased offense and defense and other key stats. You will at least have a team of characters with greater power, probably in a more balanced fashion, it would be like adding a couple gear levels or stars to your team and help you climb in arena and galactic war.
    Once you have that base, then you can look to specialize mods on key characters and start looking for mods with key attributes.

This.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's gonna be even worse when the 6-7 rarity mods are coming...

With the way the first round of mods went and all the rage quits, I think they will be hesitant to put those out any time soon.
  • Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »

This.

This was exactly my problem when I started to farm for mods...

I would get white 5dot mods and level them up. After about a month (or a few weeks) of farming, I ended up getting frustrated as I couldn't find any speed secondaries.

So in frustration I sold off every mod that didn't have speed secondaries...
    DO NOT do that, I've regret my rage since most of my characters now are under modded... (back then I didn't even consider putting the mod on).

Keep farming, the drop rates are low but it's worth it in the long run. Also, save up credits and look in the mod shipments. They have some pretty some good ones now and then.
  • Options
    The avoidance strategy rarely works out. Being that you've avoided mods since it's implementation, your problem is that rather then the drop rates. With that said, religiously check mod shipments for speed secondaries that are purchasable by credits, farm the mod challenges for rarity 5 a couple times a week, and if mod packs are available again I'd suggest loading up on those to makeup for lost time.
  • Options
    Well.. Start farming! Do ot 3 weeks, witout watching what u have got.. U will be surprised.. The same counts for others... Gear, shards whatever.. Farm them without watching what uve got.. U already have bad expectations so it cant get worse. U start feelin bad after seen 120 energy were spend for nothing.. But 1200 will bring 20 mods.. So after time u forget how many energy u have spended.. But u see ahundred new mods.. Feels good bro. Try it out.. I did this several times with stun guns.. I grinden them a full month without noticing i already got 261 of them
  • Options
    The avoidance strategy rarely works out. Being that you've avoided mods since it's implementation, your problem is that rather then the drop rates. With that said, religiously check mod shipments for speed secondaries that are purchasable by credits, farm the mod challenges for rarity 5 a couple times a week, and if mod packs are available again I'd suggest loading up on those to makeup for lost time.

I tried my luck with mod packs the last time they were out. I only got 3-4 dot mods but all were green/blue tier... was it just RNG that I got those? Or is 5 dot mods just rarer to get?
  • Options
    It's a mixture of the rarity mods unfortunately. I've gotten a ton of double digit secondary speeds, but some were rarity 4 (still useful). The other thing I like about the mod packs I have access to speed mods which I currently don't throgh the challenges. If they were all 5's I'd definitely just save my crystals for mod packs exclusively. However, I did luck out and get a +18 secondary farming recently.
  • Options
    When do I stop focusing on mods alone and start farming characters again?

I just finished wedge a couple days ago and since then I'm only doing mod challenges. Obviously I could keep doing that for month (for ever?) until I'm somewhat satisfied. How do I know when it's enough for now?

I'm lvl 76, so there is plenty farming to be done.
  • Options
    The layers upon layers of RNG (dots, color, primary stat, speed secondary, which secondaries upgrade, no mod drop at all, etc) is a bit excessive and unenjoyable. Mod management is a nightmare. Not being able to sort by primary/secondary, not being able to nickname, not being able to create sets that stay together for easy swapping between characters...these are all QoL things they could implement to make mod management less painful.
  • Options

I just finished wedge a couple days ago and since then I'm only doing mod challenges. Obviously I could keep doing that for month (for ever?) until I'm somewhat satisfied. How do I know when it's enough for now?

It depends unfortunately as there are so many areas to the game? Are you top 10 on the Rancor Raid? Where do you sit in arena currently and where do you want to be (At minimum I'd suggest at least top 50)? Without knowing that or your current roster it's tough to make a judgement, but I'd make sure at least your arena team is competive. If you have a switch.gg link that'd be helpful too
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    The layers upon layers of RNG (dots, color, primary stat, speed secondary, which secondaries upgrade, no mod drop at all, etc) is a bit excessive and unenjoyable. Mod management is a nightmare. Not being able to sort by primary/secondary, not being able to nickname, not being able to create sets that stay together for easy swapping between characters...these are all QoL things they could implement to make mod management less painful.

+1
  • Options
    I would start with 5 LS and 5 DS characters, then do as you wish
  • Options

It depends unfortunately as there are so many areas to the game? Are you top 10 on the Rancor Raid? Where do you sit in arena currently and where do you want to be (At minimum I'd suggest at least top 50)? Without knowing that or your current roster it's tough to make a judgement, but I'd make sure at least your arena team is competive. If you have a switch.gg link that'd be helpful too

I'm fighting each day to stay in top50, my mods still are a problem.

I can't really contribute in raids, working on teebo right now, he'll be 7* in a week or so.

I'd appreciate an in depth look, didn't want to be too needy. Here's the link:

https://swgoh.gg/u/unimatrix010/
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    It's all about speed.

I've got tons of Mk V mods, but very few have speed secondaries. The small handful that do have a speed of +3, +5, or maybe +8 at best. I am defeated by enemies who have characters with multiple speed secondaries of +14 or more.

ALL of the best speed secondaries I have EVER received since mods first appeared are on my Boba Fett, and I was able to get him to a speed of 204. People above me in the arena have Fett at speeds of 240 and 265. I would be willing to spend money on mods with high speed secondary, but they have never appeared.

When I have purchased a mod with a speed secondary of 3 or 4, it stays at that level after upgrading from level 1 up to 15.
  • Options

How in the world do you sell mods??
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm fighting each day to stay in top50, my mods still are a problem.

I can't really contribute in raids, working on teebo right now, he'll be 7* in a week or so.

I'd appreciate an in depth look, didn't want to be too needy. Here's the link:

https://swgoh.gg/u/unimatrix010/

If your guild isn't significantly stronger then you, you're in pretty good shape for the Rancor. You already have a QGJ, Phasma, and Wiggs. With getting Teebo soon, you'll have the characters for a strong P1 team. Granted my account is older, but I use the same team and my personal best is almost completing the 1st two tiers of the Rancor Raid (Personal Best less then 10% left of P2).

As far as arena, I actually used a pretty similar team until recently. My best strategy was focusing your best speed mods on STH and putting Lando as your lead instead of Wiggs. Hopefully that will allow you to start first nearly every match because of the extra speed Lando provides to STH and then STH subsequently taunting giving the rest of your team turn meter to hopefully go next. Then obviously EP can shock them to slow them down and Wiggs can hopefully one shot a key opponent.

Now based on what I mentioned above, this is what I'd recommend....

You should be doing the Potency Mod Battles until you're able to equip with a full set of Potency mods for Teebo. Even rarity 1 and 2s work great as he still gets the 10% bonus with each set (with a potency cross you'll be close to an additional 50% potency which is critical for the Rancor raid).

Additionally, Potency Mod Battles will be useful for QGJ and EP and potency is important for both of those two. You want to ensure you have at least a potency cross for both QGJ and EP (and of course another potency mod somewhere).

Then with any leftover speed secondaries I'd move those to Biggs as using his assist with Wedge is important on your initial attack.

While speed matters, make sure you put a critical damage triangle along on Wedge for now. Eventually you'll want critical damage mods (and probably a critical chance set), but those can be substituted with health mods in the meantime if you don't have critical damage unlocked.

For Lando, you want to load up on critical chance, critical damage, and speed secondaries. I'd recommend making him your second fastest guy (behind STH).

To your original question, once you have have speed arrows for all your 8 characters (Wiggs, Teebo, EP, Phasma, QGJ, STH, and Lando) along with appropriate mod types (even from Mod Battles), you then will have a choice to focus on building up your mods (speed secondaries and rarity 5 mods) to reach the top 20 and beyond of arena and improve your Rancor score, or work on new characters.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    @Austin09370

Thank you so much for this detailed analysis.

You are a very nice person to go through so much trouble to help a random person on the forums out.

Really appreciate it, you even mentioned stuff I was going to ask.

You, kind Sir, are awesome!
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Austin09370

Thank you so much for this detailed analysis.

You are a very nice person to go through so much trouble to help a random person on the forums out.

Really appreciate it, you even mentioned stuff I was going to ask.

You, kind Sir, are awesome!

Not a problem. I hope it works out for you and if you have other questions feel free to shoot a PM.
  • Options
    Farming mods through challenges has been absolutely horrendous or me. I farmed mods for 2 straight months. I could count the number of 5* gold mods on one hand. Then you hope and pray one of them has a speed secondary. It was not worth ignoring cantina for 2 months when Wiggs was getting big.

As others have said mod shipments seem to be the way to go. I have gotten my best mods from there. The mod pack that appears in the store when tournaments are out also have some value imo. I've gotten just as many 5* gold mods out of 4 or 5 packs as I did with 2 months farming.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Darksteel wrote: »
    How in the world do you sell mods??
    Select any character.
    Hit the manage icon under mods.
    Bottom left corner of the screen under all of your mods.
  • Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »

This.

+1
  • Options
    Bye Felicia