Why don't we have anymore risky abilities...

Kyno
32087 posts Moderator
Anakin was given a great ability that in a way self balances him. There is a fair chance of getting offence up or become exposed ( or both I guess)...

I kinda love this idea, but we have not seen a single ability added after that point that has any down side possible.

His situation was unique and they were trying to match more of his story, but I feel it could work for many toons.

Thoughts??

Replies

• Options
    Arent revives risky enought?
  • Options
    Aizfgas wrote: »

No, there's no downside to revives. All of the abilities that have chances to revive, also do something else. Either that or they are guaranteed revives which can't be a downside. EE and Daka's "chance to revive" skills also heal or in EE's case also cleanses. There's never a possible negative ending. There's always something good guaranteed to happen, with a chance of another good thing happening, or maybe not. But theres no chance for something actually bad to happen. I agree with the OP, risk and reward abilities would be nice to see, but currently we're just getting characters that get straight up reward with no chance of risk at all abilities.
  • Options
    Yeah, that "expose" needs to be removed. One of the only abilities that has a downside is on one of the most talented Jedi of all time smh.
  • Options
    I agree the game has some truly awful balancing. When a simple pilot (wedge/Biggs) can blow up the two most powerful Jedi to have ever lived, (JKA/yoda) then the Devs have certainly messed up bad.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well just a thought but given everyone wants assaj ventress to be more like herself in cannon.

She could join enemy squad when you kill an enemy, rejoin your side when one of yours dies, rejoin enemy squad when next one of them dies, rejoin yours when another dies, and so on and so on.... and if she isn't dead she defects back to your side when enemy wins making it a draw, or a win.

Would be very much like assaj to do this. <3
  • Options
    Yeah, that "expose" needs to be removed. One of the only abilities that has a downside is on one of the most talented Jedi of all time smh.

He's also one of the most reckless Jedi of his age and often gets himself in bad positions thanks to arrogance or stupidity. I'd say it's fitting.
  • Options
    Nope, now we have the rogue one characters who have godly kits with no drawbacks. GG cg.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sapient2k7 wrote: »
    I agree the game has some truly awful balancing. When a simple pilot (wedge/Biggs) can blow up the two most powerful Jedi to have ever lived, (JKA/yoda) then the Devs have certainly messed up bad.
    It's the direction of burst damage this game headed in that I strongly disagree with that makes this game feel unbalanced. Wedge + Biggs + 3rd character in a single attack off a counter attack (Biggs gets 100% turn meter if attacked so you can't use an AoE, and all 3 almost always crit) will one shot every character except for the tankiest of support characters and tanks. It's ridiculous, but we have to live with it.
  • Options

He's also one of the most reckless Jedi of his age and often gets himself in bad positions thanks to arrogance or ****. I'd say it's fitting.

Then why doesn't Maul have an ability that is at risk? Exactly.
  • Options
    It would be nice, but if there were drawbacks, which is extremely uncommon, the main ability would be OP.

They don't really want to do anything that could discourage upgrading a character, and there is only 1 drawback ability in the game, so I'm guessing there won't really be more
  • Options
    Don't forget the Stormtroopers final upgrade on his basic. Or Fives ship.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Talias healing ability
  • Options
    Jedi Luke, if/when he comes could have a "Give in to the Dark Side" drawback. Like bonus damage/attacks, but Jedi abilities become unusable until he calms down. Kind of a "berserk" rage ability/drawback under certain conditions.
  • Options

He's also one of the most reckless Jedi of his age and often gets himself in bad positions thanks to arrogance or ****. I'd say it's fitting.

I'd argue Maul should have some sort of risk ability. Anakin got limbs sliced off from being arrogant, Maul got his entire bottom half sliced off from being arrogant.

I'm not sure it'd work exactly, but some sort of negative for getting an enemy low but not killing them would be interesting.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

No, there's no downside to revives. All of the abilities that have chances to revive, also do something else. Either that or they are guaranteed revives which can't be a downside. EE and Daka's "chance to revive" skills also heal or in EE's case also cleanses. There's never a possible negative ending. There's always something good guaranteed to happen, with a chance of another good thing happening, or maybe not. But theres no chance for something actually bad to happen. I agree with the OP, risk and reward abilities would be nice to see, but currently we're just getting characters that get straight up reward with no chance of risk at all abilities.

I always thought that till I used jyn AoE to revive and didn't pay attention that the entire enemy team had retribution... It did revive the other character but Jyn may rip. So jyn revive is risky in the right conditions.
  • Options
    Then the damage on his AoE needs to be reduced and the cooldown needs to be increased. The possibility of becoming exposed is the price you pay for such a powerful attack and the ability to gain 100% turn meter when another ally hits half health and AGAIN when they die.

It's one of the only abilities to have a downside because it's such a good ability.

Because his HP is so low. Maul is an incredibly fragile character that can be dropped like a sack of potatoes with enough attention--that's the main reason no one used him before his recent rework. His lifesteal is what makes up for it, as he'll heal back up to a reasonable amount with each AoE he uses, or with enough finishing blows from his basic. That's the risk inherent to him--He doesn't do well when focused on, but if he survives to his next turn, he'll be most of the way healed back up.

(To clarify--I've borrowed my roommate's Maul and that's how he worked. This was before the rework, however, so he may not be as fragile now or his health might not yo-yo all over the place any more. But that was the risk inherent in him before, anyway.)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Darthbinks wrote: »
    Nope, now we have the rogue one characters who have godly kits with no drawbacks. GG cg.

Tell this a buffed chirrut, when he runs into Bobas rocket
  • Options
    theHejiN wrote: »

Checkmate.
  • Options
    Anakin was a guy, who was a hothead and his ability reflects that very well. I think not all chars are appropriate for a possible downside ability.
  • Options

Checkmate.

Um.. not really, as that applies to any character that can or receive buffs (all of them).
  • Options

I'd argue Maul should have some sort of risk ability. Anakin got limbs sliced off from being arrogant, Maul got his entire bottom half sliced off from being arrogant.

I'm not sure it'd work exactly, but some sort of negative for getting an enemy low but not killing them would be interesting.

That's my point right there^^^
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Vertigo wrote: »

I always thought that till I used jyn AoE to revive and didn't pay attention that the entire enemy team had retribution... It did revive the other character but Jyn may rip. So jyn revive is risky in the right conditions.

Both of these while true are based on situations and not exactly the kit of the toon.
    NicWester wrote: »
    Then the damage on his AoE needs to be reduced and the cooldown needs to be increased. The possibility of becoming exposed is the price you pay for such a powerful attack and the ability to gain 100% turn meter when another ally hits half health and AGAIN when they die.

It's one of the only abilities to have a downside because it's such a good ability.

this is what I was getting at, we are seeing a lot of toons come out with good kits and some amazing abilities, and it would be nice to see a non situational down side placed in thier kit to help balance things, just like they did with Anikin.
    NDSnyder wrote: »
    Anakin was a guy, who was a hothead and his ability reflects that very well. I think not all chars are appropriate for a possible downside ability.

True, but there are more then just 1 where it does makes sense.
  • Options
    What I don't understand is that Rey is described as "Risky Attacker" but she doesn't have any risky abilities?
  • Options
    Actually, the ship of Fives has a constant downside on basic.
  • Options
    It's risky to use Rey, because one debuff can disable her kit
  • Options

She just loses her bonus offense when she receives a debuff, not disables her kit.
  • Options

One debuff can disable her unique until it disappears. A lot of characters in this game don't even have uniques though. Rey is described as risky attacker probably by the same person who described Chirrut as a balanced attacker.
  • Options
    I am not saying, I agree. But to the devs it seems using Rey could be risky, because you'll lose her full potential, once she suffers a debuff...
  • Options

Checkmate.

Um.. not really, as that applies to any character that can or receive buffs (all of them).
    So? He can't counter one character because counters all those characters? That's why he's good--he isn't a silver bullet.
    What I don't understand is that Rey is described as "Risky Attacker" but she doesn't have any risky abilities?
    She's risky because she's fragile behind that dodge. No foresight and she drops. Buffed before she uses Leverage and she drops. Debuffed and her damage plummets to average levels.

So that's the risk--high potential, but low durability.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.