Make Leaderboards (Shards) Great Again!

Austin09370
850 posts Member
edited February 2017
IMO the best part of SWGOH is arena. The competition to stay atop or reach as high as you can is the reason why many people continue to play the game. New characters, gear levels, and abilities have the potential to shakeup existing metas and cause you to rethink our Arena lineup and strategy.

The problem: With mature shards, you've been facing the same set of individuals and can become pretty stale once you reach the top. Some may even have friendly agreements regarding attacking each other.

The Proposal: Merge Leaderboards! Stop. I know the first reaction is, "NEVER, that's a horrible idea!". At least hear me out and then you can bash the idea...you won't necessarily be worse off. This will bring new competition and perhaps the level of excitement that many initially had climbing the leaderboard and trying to maintain your ranking.

The Caveat: Compensation across the leaderboard would need to be updated. Nobody wants to automatically take less crystals even if the game does become more engaging. In fact, same rewards and more competition will give the push many need to quit the game entirely.

The Solution: At the 1 year anniversary of a leaderboard, it is combined with another similarly aged leaderboard. Additionally, as a reward for being loyal players and for the level of competitiveness increasing, the compensation structure would be as follows:

#1: 600 Crystals
#2: 550 Crystals
#3: 500 Crystals
#4: 450 Crystals
#5: 400 Crystals
#6 - 10: 350 Crystals
#11 - 20: 300 Crystals
#21 - 50: 250 Crystals
#51 - 100: 200 Crystals
#101 - 200: 150 Crystals
#201 - 500: 125 Crystals
#501 - 1000: 100 Crystals
#1001 - 2500: 75 Crystals

*It's important to not give away too many crystals as that will cannibalize actual crystal purchases and obviously CG doesn't want that and would never implement a change that does that.

Positives for CG/EA: Increased competition equals more urgency for top players to "whale out" to keep up with competition. This will also keep top ranked players more engaged (many who are high P2P users). Finally, it will also give incentive for players to stick around to their 1 year anniversary if they are close to quitting.

Positives for the Player Base: Arena becomes more exciting again. Maybe you'll join a leaderboard with one of your guild mates, old guild members, or someone you know. With the slight uptick in crystal compensation, those can be used for additional energy and saving to purchase full gear items. This is also a reasonable solution to help the gear crunch.

Thoughts? Negative and positive are both accepted. Specifically, why would these be bad for players or CG/EA?

Replies

• Options
    No it's a terrible idea.

Arena is a chore for me. I need the 500 crystals daily and have an agreement set up with my shardmates (also guildmates) so that we rotate for respective payout. I don't want to be forced to compete for top spot when I can get it now anyways with no hassle.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, no.
    1. Everytime i "catch up" and am able to consistandly beat the whales, they change their team, lvl cap gets increased, throw in a zeta or 2 etc. It's interresting enough
    2. I freaking hate sniping. I'm finally down to just 1 guy with the same pay-out, i'd really love to keep it that way.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    No matter how closely aligned the two theoretical shards are, one will be older than the other. That shard's players will have had slightly more time to farm toons, gear, and credits. Half the new shard would have an advantage over the other half.
  • UltimateZeus
    1221 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hell no

giphy.gif
  • Options
    No, lol at the gifs by the way xD
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • Options
    Hah, it's looking like I'm the significant minority in this. Seems like the overwhelming response right now, is I'm happy with the crystals and the amount of effort I have to put in and don't want to jeopardize that. That's fair and don't have a counter to that.

However, saying that one shard will have an advantage because it's older I don't agree with. After a year, a couple days will smoke zero difference. What are we taking 3 extra cuffs? @Nothermike

• Options
    After a year, what happens if that shard's top players have been coordinating payouts so a bunch of them get 500 crystals a day, while your shard has had two or three whales firmly entrenched around the clock? I don't want to add the potential for that type of increase in difficulty. Right now I fight for top 20 every day. Success is 200 crystals. I'm working on a team that will get me to the top ten, maybe. A merge could send me into the mid 40s easily. I'd go from fighting to get to 200 crystals to fighting to keep them, but with 25 spots to move up for the bracket I'm currently finishing 5-8 spots from. That's if they take your rewards payout plan unchanged.
  • Options
    I'm 100℅ for this. I have been battling the same guys for about a year now...It gets mad boring. Same whales with insane mods and the newest p2p toons, same f2p players with the same squads that slowly transition into the new metas..

I'd like to spice it up some, play against players and teams I haven't before and maybe even against some names I recognize.
  • Options
    No, no and no.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »
    I'm 100℅ for this. I have been battling the same guys for about a year now...It gets mad boring. Same whales with insane mods and the newest p2p toons, same f2p players with the same squads that slowly transition into the new metas..

I'd like to spice it up some, play against players and teams I haven't before and maybe even against some names I recognize.

@ObviouslyNot would disagree!
    And he said "merge", so you'd be still battling the same guys + some new guys. I'd have to admit, battling playernames i recognized from the forum and even guild mates in tournaments was rather fun!
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    If they have the nominal amount of crystal is identical to fleet arena yes, why not.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    Mullato wrote: »

@ObviouslyNot would disagree!
    And he said "merge", so you'd be still battling the same guys + some new guys. I'd have to admit, battling playernames i recognized from the forum and even guild mates in tournaments was rather fun!

Lol
    *Secret identity cover blown*
  • Options
    Looks like there is a little more of a positive response now! Overall, the intention is for everyone to still accumulate at minimum the current crystal amount they already are with the opportunity to likely receive more. Your rank # just might not be as high.

With any change there is always risk and scenarios where you might not be better off. @Nothermike you'd only need to reach the top 100 with the revised payout structure to be compensated the same and that should be easier to do even if another leaderboard even slightly more active players joined yours.

Even though in the back of mind I know CG has a plot to combine 3+ leaderboards without increased rewards. However, I'd be one of the 1st ones to quit along with many others. So in reality, I don't think they'd make that change without a prize restructure.