Give us a challenge: how Special Operations-like events should satisfy our gamer-needs

PoederAmon
261 posts Member
edited February 2017
TL;DR: Events should be more challenging for loyal players and should require more tactical skills and knowledge because we are not candy-crush playing teens and housewives, but SW-loving gaming nerds :smile:

First off, not going to complain about rewards, understarred toons or anything like that. I accept there is a businnes-economics perspective in this game I won't ever understand. Nonetheless I choose to play this game so I have to accept how the mechanics work or quit playing and go back to my PS4.
Second, I understand that SWGOH is not a game for 'hardcore-gamers' (has anyone ever defined the line between casual and hardcore-gaming?). But completing Special Operations gave me no satisfaction whatsoever.
I think this game is designed for two type of players:
1. The big spenders
2. The loyal login-every-day-for-over-a-year players.
Events like Special Operations could try and cater both these categories in order to retain player base and be viewed upon as a game that takes it's customers seriously. Special Operations was mainly for the big spenders who want a quick run trough several tiers, being 100% certain they unlock a 3* & 4* toon to buy the remaining shards.
Now, the loyal players have quite a deep 7* roster by now, with all 5* mods and gear X or XI. I won't be spending 3000 crystals for 10 - 60 shards and I don't even have activated the toons bc they are gonna be useless for a while. I knew this beforehand but I still looked forward to this event, because in theory it has a great design:
- multiple days
- multiple tiers
- diverse enemies per round
I was looking forward to great tactical battles, moving around some mods, having to try different comps. Maybe not on all tiers, but definitely on the tier III and tier IV battles. I could not be more dissapointed... I could have auto'd all battles and even do a random squad composition and still complete all tiers 3*. I don't mind the shaitty rewards, I am used to them, but please make these events more competitive. Give us a challenge, appeal to our tactical skills/knowledge and take yourself seriously as game designers!
I don't care how it is implemented:
- make the difficulty scale towards player level or #gear X toons (and higher)
- let us choose between difficulties
- create bonus tiers (without shard rewards, but maybe with credits and gear, even 2 salvage pcs would be satisfying)

Is it too much to ask for?

Replies

• Options
    Well I want zero more if it means we get toons at 2-4* with no sane way of getting them to 7*.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Options
    I am not so advanced player, but I agree with that. 1-2 more tiers with just gear/credit rewards would be nice. We are waiting for these events just to have a little fun and have different battles.
  • Options
    I agree, in term of events I really liked the first appearance of the Emperor's one (with all the super fast storm troopers of all kinds, Vader and the dreaded Emperor with his Guard). It took me the whole duration of the event to quickly develop, level, gear up my ragtag gang of Rebels from the point where they were hopelessly decimated before even seeing Vader to finally managing to (be much poorer, credit- and gear-wise, and) defeat the Emperor (only once). The actual rewards were, hum, as expected, but it gave me a Rebel team that would somehow become my Arena team later.

Similarly, the Ewoks and the Jawas event was also quite challenging, and forced me to develop a Droids team that I've now used countless times.

In comparison, yes, the K2SO and Krennic events were just excuses to get those shards by little more than just opening a gift in my inbox.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    benacrow wrote: »
    Well I want zero more if it means we get toons at 2-4* with no sane way of getting them to 7*.

Well, I would play them if they provide a challenge. I couldn't care less about the rewards in form of toons. I would rather see they a more poker-like structure, if I'm thinking up of new avenues. They could let us bet for example gear for completing a challenge. I would love to bet 20 cuffs to complete a tier if it rewards me with 20 when I win and take my 20 if I lose.
    Tiggus wrote: »
    I agree, in term of events I really liked the first appearance of the Emperor's one (with all the super fast storm troopers of all kinds, Vader and the dreaded Emperor with his Guard). It took me the whole duration of the event to quickly develop, level, gear up my ragtag gang of Rebels from the point where they were hopelessly decimated before even seeing Vader to finally managing to (be much poorer, credit- and gear-wise, and) defeat the Emperor (only once). The actual rewards were, hum, as expected, but it gave me a Rebel team that would somehow become my Arena team later.

Similarly, the Ewoks and the Jawas event was also quite challenging, and forced me to develop a Droids team that I've now used countless times.

In comparison, yes, the K2SO and Krennic events were just excuses to get those shards by little more than just opening a gift in my inbox.

Agreed, the Assault Battles and Droids Fight Back event provide far more challenge and require more tactical thinking than those cheap Aurodium-replacements.
    Wish they would take those as base structure when designing any future events.

• Options
    PoederAmon wrote: »
    benacrow wrote: »

Well, I would play them if they provide a challenge. I couldn't care less about the rewards in form of toons. I would rather see they a more poker-like structure, if I'm thinking up of new avenues. They could let us bet for example gear for completing a challenge. I would love to bet 20 cuffs to complete a tier if it rewards me with 20 when I win and take my 20 if I lose.
    Tiggus wrote: »

Agreed, the Assault Battles and Droids Fight Back event provide far more challenge and require more tactical thinking than those cheap Aurodium-replacements.
    Wish they would take those as base structure when designing any future events.

My issue is the Assault battles are quite easy for maxed gear teams with semi-competitive mods (+10 speed in each mod). I struggled to complete the normal stage of assault the first time, but the last couple have been too easy. I just desired they add a nightmare stage intended for G12 level 90 toons, like the last stage of Yoda was before.