3615 posts Member
    Options
    We've done this dance
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    RedLetterMedia trashes them so much better than I ever could

• Options
    Haha, what a pathetic video. Anything without TIE's gets trashed, just nostalgia fanboys criticizing everythin and people hopping on the bandwagon to look cool.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Rogue One had TIEs and I didn't like it
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Rogue One had TIEs and I didn't like it

It's still quite obvious you like RO over the prequels though, isn't it?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    When judging star wars movies, I think its important to consider the context in which that movie is being (or should be) watched. Like, how much extra information do we need to know to appreciate the movie and understand the plot and characters? Should we have read a series of books beforehand? Do we need to watch the corresponding TV show to really understand whats happening? Should we have to do research before entering the theater? Can we watch this movie without ever seeing a Star Wars movie and like it?

I will admit, the prequels have some interesting ideas, but it wasn't until I saw the animated show until I was able to appreciate it. Apparently the characters from Rogue One had some interesting back stories that described who they are, where they came from, and what their motivations are, but thats all in some other book. I'm not just talking about little winks and nods to other material to enhance the experience for nerds like us, I'm talking about significant character and plot development that needs to be in the movie. If the excuse is "well there just isn't time in the movie! we couldn't make a 4 hour long movie could we?!" then its a bad movie.
  • Options
    When judging star wars movies, I think its important to consider the context in which that movie is being (or should be) watched. Like, how much extra information do we need to know to appreciate the movie and understand the plot and characters? Should we have read a series of books beforehand? Do we need to watch the corresponding TV show to really understand whats happening? Should we have to do research before entering the theater? Can we watch this movie without ever seeing a Star Wars movie and like it?

I will admit, the prequels have some interesting ideas, but it wasn't until I saw the animated show until I was able to appreciate it. Apparently the characters from Rogue One had some interesting back stories that described who they are, where they came from, and what their motivations are, but thats all in some other book. I'm not just talking about little winks and nods to other material to enhance the experience for nerds like us, I'm talking about significant character and plot development that needs to be in the movie. If the excuse is "well there just isn't time in the movie! we couldn't make a 4 hour long movie could we?!" then its a bad movie.

That's how it is in TFA aswell. You have to read alot of books to cover plot holes and some stuff/characters just makes no sense until reading the books. RO and TFA suffer from that aspect equally IMO. Disney really needs to fix that ASAP as I'm loosing interest and motivation to keep up with canon.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

That's how it is in TFA aswell. You have to read alot of books to cover plot holes and some stuff/characters just makes no sense until reading the books. RO and TFA suffer from that aspect equally IMO. Disney really needs to fix that ASAP as I'm loosing interest and motivation to keep up with canon.

I agree that TFA certainly has issues with leaving information out, but the reasons are intentional and lazy rather than inefficient filmmaking. The plot holes and omitted information from TFA are not covered by any canon material. The producers of the movie purposely left information out so that people would come scrambling back for episodes 8 and 9 (like a cliffhanger but not as fun). This is a symptom of all modern blockbusters (most of which are indeed released by disney) which use lazy, manipulative techniques to draw larger audiences. (if you want to learn more about that, Cracked has a decent video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3o2JYoK6Q)

But I dont think that applies to the prequels or Rogue One. The issues with those movies were not intended on being addressed later on. The Clone Wars TV show was the fire extinguisher for the garbage fire that George Lucas unintentionally started. He made those movies thinking that he had done a good job when it took the hard work of other people to clean up after it. With Rogue One, there aren't upcoming sequels being teased and it doesn't advertise Catalyst the way TFA advertises episodes 8 and 9. Catalyst is the clean-up to Rogue One like Clone Wars for the prequels.
  • Options
    I just don't like the movies... Has nothing to do with nostalgia; if the prequels weren't "Star Wars" they'd have been forgotten a decade ago for terrible dialogue (I hate sand, you're breaking my heart), lame CG (Episode I only), ridiculous characters designed to pander to children (Jar Jar), and asinine plot elements (Trade Federation, Padme dying of a broken heart).

When TPM came out I liked it at first... Because I was nine. By the time AotC came out I was already sick of TPM. I can still watch the OT over and over and enjoy it.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    TFA is just terrible.#kylosteongorweek
    #remake #plotholes

RO is would be a great standalone, but since every big moment and the whole movie is a plot whole.....
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    All hail Jar Jar
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I just don't like the movies... Has nothing to do with nostalgia; if the prequels weren't "Star Wars" they'd have been forgotten a decade ago for terrible dialogue (I hate sand, you're breaking my heart), lame CG (Episode I only), ridiculous characters designed to pander to children (Jar Jar), and asinine plot elements (Trade Federation, Padme dying of a broken heart).

When TPM came out I liked it at first... Because I was nine. By the time AotC came out I was already sick of TPM. I can still watch the OT over and over and enjoy it.

I actually thought AOTC had the worst CGI. At least Phantom had a few real Naboo sets. Did you know not a single clone helmet prop was made? Every single clone was CGI.
  • Options

I actually thought AOTC had the worst CGI. At least Phantom had a few real Naboo sets. Did you know not a single clone helmet prop was made? Every single clone was CGI.

CGI isn't bad, it's when CGI is not well done. Many things in movies you would be never guessed were CGI. CGI is amazing when done right (which it rarely is)
  • Options
    I like Star Wars. Love the movies and watch them over and over. Best recent experience, the soon to be 8 year old asked "What's a Jedi?" I'm still smiling.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

CGI isn't bad, it's when CGI is not well done. Many things in movies you would be never guessed were CGI. CGI is amazing when done right (which it rarely is)

I agree that CGI can be used effectively to ENHANCE a live action movie (Mad Max Fury Road is a good example), but when its used as a focal point of a live-action movie when the ability to film on real sets on real locations with real actors using real props is available, its just lazy.

The prequels have this sterile, cartoonish, fake feel to them because they are fake. Its so painfully obvious that the actors are walking around some air-conditioned blue or green set in a studio. The cast never react to their surroundings never know where to look when talking to a clone or some other cgi character because theres nothing there to look at (except for the occasional morph suit).

47-rqNem8H.jpg
    0083.jpg
    oswuJ.jpg?1

I just dont understand why George Lucas decided to waste three enormous budgets on movies that look more fake than the original 30+ year old trilogy. When the clone wars tv show first came out, people complained about the animation and how fake it looked, but I honestly think it looks the same as the movies.

open-uri20150608-27674-3fnnku_6cec09f8.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1200%2C674

When you're given hundreds of millions of dollars to make a movie, there is no excuse for it to look worse than a 30 year old movie that had a fraction of the budget.

• Options

I agree that CGI can be used effectively to ENHANCE a live action movie (Mad Max Fury Road is a good example), but when its used as a focal point of a live-action movie when the ability to film on real sets on real locations with real actors using real props is available, its just lazy.

The prequels have this sterile, cartoonish, fake feel to them because they are fake. Its so painfully obvious that the actors are walking around some air-conditioned blue or green set in a studio. The cast never react to their surroundings never know where to look when talking to a clone or some other cgi character because theres nothing there to look at (except for the occasional morph suit).

47-rqNem8H.jpg
    0083.jpg
    oswuJ.jpg?1

I just dont understand why George Lucas decided to waste three enormous budgets on movies that look more fake than the original 30+ year old trilogy. When the clone wars tv show first came out, people complained about the animation and how fake it looked, but I honestly think it looks the same as the movies.

When you're given hundreds of millions of dollars to make a movie, there is no excuse for it to look worse than a 30 year old movie that had a fraction of the budget.

I agree, they overdid the CGI in the prequel movies. CGI isn't always terrible (RO had good CGI), but when you overdo it and make it look fake, it's better to just have practical effects.
  • Brek
    60 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Weirdo! Lol.
    After watching epsisode one i didnt bother with two and three. Watched then just before christmas, finally! I actually enjoyed the story line of how Darth was manipulated by palpatine, yer classic tradgedy trope. Episode one still sucks. Ewan and 'i will kill you' reminded me of men in tights, not that i would say that to his face.

In regard to cgi, it was in its infancy back then, and compute power plus the skills were not available as they are now. They were inventing the techniques used today (or not if it didn't work) as they went along, Much like disney did with hand drawn animation 2d in the '30's, the nine old men pretty much wrote the book on 2d animation. Today, the stuff they do in green screen now is mind blowing once its all comped in nuke by people who know what they are doing. I.e. Super talented people.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

47-rqNem8H.jpg
    0083.jpg
    oswuJ.jpg?1

I agree, they overdid the CGI in the prequel movies. CGI isn't always terrible (RO had good CGI), but when you overdo it and make it look fake, it's better to just have practical effects.

I also believe the lazy use of CGI is emblematic of all aspects of the production of those movies. There's no passion. Nothing is real (not just the visuals). The characters dont feel like real people. They're inconsistent when they aren't completely boring and if we aren't told what character's relationships are, we would have no idea they exist (ex: we never see anakin and obi-wan as friends).

Instead of coming up with new ideas, Lucas took the same stuff from the OT and multiplied it by 100. Oh, you liked lightsabers? Well here's ten thousand of them! You liked space battles? Then lets cram every single frame of the movie with tons of fake, seizure inducing garbage so you have no idea whats happening! You liked when we added farting animals in the Special Edition? Well now you get an entire character dedicated to toilet humor! You liked when old ben came up with a basic training exercise using stuff he found lying around on the Millennium Falcon? Well turns out thats an ancient jedi training technique! lets have dozens of kids doing the same impractical thing right next to each other! Hey, did you like the Force? Turns out its not some mystical energy that binds and penetrates every living thing in the universe! Its actually microscopic organisms!
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Brek wrote: »
    Weirdo! Lol.
    After watching epsisode one i didnt bother with two and three. Watched then just before christmas, finally! I actually enjoyed the story line of how Darth was manipulated by palpatine, yer classic tradgedy trope. Episode one still sucks. Ewan and 'i will kill you' reminded me of men in tights, not that i would say that to his face.

In regard to cgi, it was in its infancy back then, and compute power plus the skills were not available as they are now. They were inventing the techniques used today (or not if it didn't work) as they went along, Much like disney did with hand drawn animation 2d in the '30's, the nine old men pretty much wrote the book on 2d animation. Today, the stuff they do in green screen now is mind blowing once its all comped in nuke by people who know what they are doing. I.e. Super talented people.

In the case of the prequels, its one thing for a big action sequence to look kind of fake because of the technical limitations of the time, but if you are literally too lazy to design and build a hallway or an office, then the flaws in your movie are inexcusable. If something doesn't look exactly how you want it, use some of your massive budget to invent new technology like James Cameron did with Avatar or Terminator 2 (which had better CGI than Genisys).

Part of what made the first Star Wars movie so iconic was how innovative it was. George actually got off his chair, put down his coffee and put some effort into making it. Completely different from his style in the prequels where he sits his @$$ in a comfy chair and arbitrarily points at people.
  • Options
    Brek wrote: »
    Weirdo! Lol.

In the case of the prequels, its one thing for a big action sequence to look kind of fake because of the technical limitations of the time, but if you are literally too lazy to design and build a hallway or an office, then the flaws in your movie are inexcusable. If something doesn't look exactly how you want it, use some of your massive budget to invent new technology like James Cameron did with Avatar or Terminator 2 (which had better CGI than Genisys).

Part of what made the first Star Wars movie so iconic was how innovative it was. George actually got off his chair, put down his coffee and put some effort into making it. Completely different from his style in the prequels where he sits his @$$ in a comfy chair and arbitrarily points at people.

Yup
  • Options
    I like the prequels. I don't love them. But they're ok. The story is great. How it's played out on screen? Not so much. But I still enjoy it for what it is. It's not winning an oscar for best picture but that's ok. Its kinda cheesy. Bad acting. Bad CGI. But it's SW so I'll still enjoy it. At the same time if Disney decided to retcon the prequels and redo them I'd be all for it. Won't happen but I can dream.

As for TFA.. I loved TFA. Probably my favorite. Great cast, great villain, great acting, great special effects. The only thing I didn't like was starkiller base and how it took a few mins of planning and a small battle to destroy it. Like c'mon.. How many times do we have to see this played out? Come up with something original. Really disappointed with that.

RogueOne. Was ok. I'd put it just above the prequels. It felt rushed. Especially with character development. The opening 10mins or so completely took me out of the movie. No crawl, jumping from place to place, naming the planets on the screen? It got better as it went along. I was just disappointed because I was expecting it to be better. Especially with that amazing cast.

The original trilogy is the original. Not much needs to be said there.
  • Options
    Its funny how many people hate on the prequels but they did do a few things right with them. The light saber duels were awesome the one with Darth Maul being the best out of the prequels. Also they brought star wars back to the theater and into more revalence i think if there had been no prequels we would not have this game or new star wars movies. Or other star wars stuff maybe more books but as some people said here they dont want to read books to understand some things. But people ate them up for the EU when they were published cause people craved more star wars. I am thankful the prequels were a box office sucess and made more star wars come into my life and everyone elses.

I will say the prequels arent great movies at all and only Revenge of the Sith was decent. Also Ewan Mcgregor was a spot light in all the prequels.

These are just thoughts of someone who didnt get to see any star wars till i was a teenager in the 90's so i didnt get the whole rose colored glasses view as when i saw the prequels.
  • Options
    Radonis wrote: »
    Its funny how many people hate on the prequels but they did do a few things right with them. The light saber duels were awesome the one with Darth Maul being the best out of the prequels. Also they brought star wars back to the theater and into more revalence i think if there had been no prequels we would not have this game or new star wars movies. Or other star wars stuff maybe more books but as some people said here they dont want to read books to understand some things. But people ate them up for the EU when they were published cause people craved more star wars. I am thankful the prequels were a box office sucess and made more star wars come into my life and everyone elses.

I will say the prequels arent great movies at all and only Revenge of the Sith was decent. Also Ewan Mcgregor was a spot light in all the prequels.

These are just thoughts of someone who didnt get to see any star wars till i was a teenager in the 90's so i didnt get the whole rose colored glasses view as when i saw the prequels.

Finally someone else who thinks Ewan made the prequels better
  • Options

Idk how anyone could think otherwise.
  • Options
    Mullato wrote: »

Idk how anyone could think otherwise.

Exactly, Ewan made cringy lines sound pretty good and had perfect emotions throughout ROTS.
  • Options
    I never knew those scenes from the prequels were CGI
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options

what he said... tho they look much better now after force awakens
  • 3Cheers4Tyranny
    2084 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

what he said... tho they look much better now after force awakens

Yeah, TFA IMO was the worst SW movie ever and deserves to be forgotten because it's pure garbage.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

I think the lightsaber duels are one of the worst aspects of the prequels. Theres no emotion or passion. Everyone just performs their highly choreographed moves until somebody is supposed to die. If you were to watch any of the battles without any context, you couldnt learn anything from them. Look at Luke v Vader in Empire. No, they aren't flipping around and acting like fools, but their feelings and emotions are reflected in how they fight. You can tell how nervous Luke is by his super "try-hard" technique while Vader is calm and clearly toying with him.
    untitled-151.gif

In ROTJ, you can see Luke using more and more anger in his fighting against Vader. Eventually he isn't using any technique, he's just hacking away and its awesome. You can feel the raw emotion in the scene and the fighting serves a purpose.

E7fFP1.gif

Never in the prequels does something like this happen. The fighting is ONLY for spectacle and there's no substance. The closest they get is obi-wan v Anakin and even with all of the emotion we're supposed to feel, its just more over-choreographed, emotionless, boring garbage.

6827383467_38cb77135d_o.gif

Phantom Menace is the worst offender. Neither Obi-Wan, Maul, or Qui-Gon ever show any emotion with their fighting. At one point, obi-wan gets really ****. His master has just been killed and all he wants is to get at maul. You think "finally, he's going to use some anger in his fighting. He's going to have some emotion in his fighting." But the ray shields go down, and they resume the same monotonous, clearly-rehearsed movements.

darth-maul-vs-obi-wan-o.gif

For all of its faults, TFA's lightsaber duel was one of the best in the saga. The scene doesn't rely on some extravagant set piece, or use super complicated emotionless choreography. Its raw, its emotional, its real. They're fighting, but their conflict transcends the sabers. Both Kylo's and Rey's fighting styles are brutal and emotional. They aren't using technique or flipping around, they're trying to kill the other person without getting killed themselves.

Finn%2525201.gif

• 3Cheers4Tyranny
    2084 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I think the lightsaber duels are one of the worst aspects of the prequels. Theres no emotion or passion. Everyone just performs their highly choreographed moves until somebody is supposed to die. If you were to watch any of the battles without any context, you couldnt learn anything from them. Look at Luke v Vader in Empire. No, they aren't flipping around and acting like fools, but their feelings and emotions are reflected in how they fight. You can tell how nervous Luke is by his super "try-hard" technique while Vader is calm and clearly toying with him.
    untitled-151.gif

In ROTJ, you can see Luke using more and more anger in his fighting against Vader. Eventually he isn't using any technique, he's just hacking away and its awesome. You can feel the raw emotion in the scene and the fighting serves a purpose.

E7fFP1.gif

Never in the prequels does something like this happen. The fighting is ONLY for spectacle and there's no substance. The closest they get is obi-wan v Anakin and even with all of the emotion we're supposed to feel, its just more over-choreographed, emotionless, boring garbage.

6827383467_38cb77135d_o.gif

Phantom Menace is the worst offender. Neither Obi-Wan, Maul, or Qui-Gon ever show any emotion with their fighting. At one point, obi-wan gets really ****. His master has just been killed and all he wants is to get at maul. You think "finally, he's going to use some anger in his fighting. He's going to have some emotion in his fighting." But the ray shields go down, and they resume the same monotonous, clearly-rehearsed movements.

darth-maul-vs-obi-wan-o.gif

For all of its faults, TFA's lightsaber duel was one of the best in the saga. The scene doesn't rely on some extravagant set piece, or use super complicated emotionless choreography. Its raw, its emotional, its real. They're fighting, but their conflict transcends the sabers. Both Kylo's and Rey's fighting styles are brutal and emotional. They aren't using technique or flipping around, they're trying to kill the other person without getting killed themselves.

Finn%2525201.gif

You lost me at no passion or emotion in the prequel duels. You don't think Obi-Wan seeing some he was close to emotional? You don't see Obi-Wan heartbroken and trying to look away when Anakin was suffering? Tbh, ANH was the worst out of the saga regardless of technology's capabilites at that time.

Then I gave it a shot to endure the whole reading through. I literally burst out laughing when you called TFA duels one of the best in the saga. It was so dull, Rey was again a Mary Sue and beat one of Luke's students with absolutely zero training, it should've been pitch black outside since they were sucking out the entire sun, and it was just made to appeal nostalgia fanboys.

Also, I noticed you showed the Anakin VS Obi-Wan thing and like other prequel haters, you're absolutely ignorant on that subject. Obi-Wan and Anakin has similar lightsaber fighting styles with Anakin's being slightly more offensive and Obi-Wan's being slightly more defensive.

Anakin used form 5 which is what form 3 users used if they perfered a more offensive style of combat but gave up some protection form 3 had to offer. Obi-Wan used form 3 which is what he obviously taught Anakin. If someone's dueling styles are the same, the spinning will eventually end up happening.

The Phantom Menace had emotions in its duel. Obi-Wan saw the only person he was close be slaughtered right in front of him and fed off the dark side to finish Maul off like Anakin did when seeing Obi-Wan be knocked out by Dooku.

And last but not least I'll address yhe flipping thing. Some of the Jedi used form 4 which was an acrobatic form of lightsaber combat such as Yoda and Ashoka. Palpatine flipped around alot because he was a master of all 7 forms and used all 7 to counter the form his opponent was using (ex. Form 2 is Form 3's weakness, Form 3 is Form 7's weakness, ect.).