Timezone "preferential treatment"

Prev1
While these recent QOL updates all seem like good ideas to make our experience much more enjoyable and smoother throughout the game, and the communication from the devs as to what changes are coming, there still needs to be some kind of pre warning as to WHEN these changes go live. I realise that the devs themselves don't have the exact times as they have to wait for the hosting platform companies to certify the updates, but maybe just an estimated time when its close. Something like telling us when you have sent the updates off for certification, because dropping them out of nowhere like they do screws over multiple timezones because of the time they go live. Like GMT for instance, most players in this timezone will have finished all (or almost all) of their daily activities/challenges/attempts and now all of a sudden these challenges can reward more than before and we do t have to make a choice between challenge tiers for highly used equipment as a lot of them have been reorganised to allow us to get the priority gear all on one tier, yet us in certain timezones have been screwed over (again) by the timing and lack of warning.

Again, I would like to clarify that I think these changes in essence are fantastic and much needed for the game, and I'm not even calling for some kind of compensation for the potential missed rewards cause it's not feasible to work out everyone who missed out and come up with some kind of compensation for them. I'm just asking for a little bit more warning time even if it is just an ESTIMATED (albeit preferably an estimate of the day they would be likely to drop) that way at least we can approach those days with the right approach so we potentially don't miss out on things like this. "Hopefully next week" is a bit too vague of a timeline for us to practically be prepared for, thanks.

Replies

• Options
    ...Especially when they specifically stated that they would post when they had nailed down the date. I agree.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Not to take away from your main point, which I think is valid, but I think the "preferential treatment" part is not intentional. I'm sure it's just driven by the normal business hours for their time zone.
  • Options
    This first release was handled badly, especially with the squad power bug that came with it. A 24 hour heads up needs to happen. I saved my challenges today in anticipation of a surprise update (though to be fair, 1 day of missing out on a few extra rewards won't hurt anyone), but the GW update will hurt a lot more if missed.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    This is a one day thing, if someone gets the updates and uses them one day before you did, how does that matter at all? It is one day it is not that big of a deal
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    This first release was handled badly, especially with the squad power bug that came with it. A 24 hour heads up needs to happen. I saved my challenges today in anticipation of a surprise update (though to be fair, 1 day of missing out on a few extra rewards won't hurt anyone), but the GW update will hurt a lot more if missed.

More fair they said updates next week so expect it anytime between Sun to Sat. So expect bumps all week.
  • Options

If you're being a good guild member you're not doing GW today so that shouldn't be an issue
  • Options
    MilMuertes wrote: »

If you're being a good guild member you're not doing GW today so that shouldn't be an issue

^This. I've got my GW all saved up and ready to go to for Tuesday. But did they actually update the GW rewards yet? Or have they not done that yet and are you saying that if they don't tell us about the GW update beforehand it will really be rough?
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

^This. I've got my GW all saved up and ready to go to for Tuesday. But did they actually update the GW rewards yet? Or have they not done that yet and are you saying that if they don't tell us about the GW update beforehand it will really be rough?

With the increase in GW rewards, I'm expecting it to be harder. We can only speculate what other changes they had in mind but at least it's a win for those who are not at max level.
  • Options

So getting a few extra guild currency for yourself makes you a 'good guild member'?
    you are aware Raid tickets are produced by spending energy and cantina energy? not from the Daily Guild Activities?

• Options
    ABNRAS wrote: »
    Not to take away from your main point, which I think is valid, but I think the "preferential treatment" part is not intentional. I'm sure it's just driven by the normal business hours for their time zone.

I agree that preferential treatment probably isn't quite the correct term and that it was not intentional, I couldn't think of another way to put it that was short enough to fit lol
    This is a one day thing, if someone gets the updates and uses them one day before you did, how does that matter at all? It is one day it is not that big of a deal

It's not a massive deal but when you've done your dailies and had to pick between prize tiers because the key hear was spread out, and then the update drops after that yet most western timezones will still have a lot of players that have a lot of their dailies to do means they can do the "new" top tiers with increased rewards and all the key gear combined into one tier so they don't have to pick and choose. If this was the first time this kind of thing had happened then it wouldn't be as big of a deal but this is at least the 3rd time in approx 6 months now that GMT and timezones close to that have been screwed over because of this timing... The last time double drops was implemented, it was 11pm in GMT so (probably almost) everyone in that zone had done all their dailies and refreshes for that day and effectively missed out on a day of double drops, also when ships came out it was 1am on Tuesday morning so we only had akbar's challenge and the ship credit challenge active when it came out, yet all of the western timezones were still on Monday so they had ALL ship challenges open meaning they effectively had a full week of rewards more than we did which was a fairly big gap for the very start of ships (having those creds 2 days in a row to level their ships have them a fairly big advantage at the time, not including the mega whales of course who just bought hundreds of ship cred packs anyway)
  • Options

Lmao, who cares about dailies anymore. With 2 raids now you get plenty enough of guild currency.
  • Options
    Tavanh wrote: »

With the increase in GW rewards, I'm expecting it to be harder. We can only speculate what other changes they had in mind but at least it's a win for those who are not at max level.

Without further clarification, I don't actually think the rewards are increasing, they just said scaling with your level. Meaning that most likely the rewards for currently low level players are going to go down and they will have to work their way back up to the higher level rewards as level up
  • Options
    JohnTS676 wrote: »

Without further clarification, I don't actually think the rewards are increasing, they just said scaling with your level. Meaning that most likely the rewards for currently low level players are going to go down and they will have to work their way back up to the higher level rewards as level up

Nope. Watch the update video. Rewards for level 85 are going up, and we'll be getting a lot more character shards.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options

According to the teaser videos in the official post, the rewards are indeed increasing. Lower levels may not get as much but the big guys are definitely getting more than we do now.

With regards to the timezone stuff, updates are always going to happen during business hours in San Francisco. That's when key personnel are available should anything go wrong (like it did today). Sure, they could make everyone come in at weird hours that day to accommodate other timezones but frankly, what's the point? No matter what timezone's ideal time they run the update in, they're always screwing over somebody.

And besides. GMT might get screwed out of being able to make use of daily refreshes for new content but NA timezones typically get screwed out of being able to snipe or protect their arena positions at payout.
  • JohnTS676
    369 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Nope. Watch the update video. Rewards for level 85 are going up, and we'll be getting a lot more character shards.

Oh ok, I hadn't watched the video so I stand corrected lol.

According to the teaser videos in the official post, the rewards are indeed increasing. Lower levels may not get as much but the big guys are definitely getting more than we do now.

With regards to the timezone stuff, updates are always going to happen during business hours in San Francisco. That's when key personnel are available should anything go wrong (like it did today). Sure, they could make everyone come in at weird hours that day to accommodate other timezones but frankly, what's the point? No matter what timezone's ideal time they run the update in, they're always screwing over somebody.

And besides. GMT might get screwed out of being able to make use of daily refreshes for new content but NA timezones typically get screwed out of being able to snipe or protect their arena positions at payout.

I know that you can't implement an update in any timezone without screwing over another, and releasing it at a different time is not what I was calling for, just a more accurate window of the anticipated release time rather than something as broad as "next week" other games and their devs notify players of when their updates have been submitted for certification and you can usually bet that the update will pass and roll out 1-3 days from cert depending on the size of the game and update, that is obviously a much smaller and more reasonable timeframe to "prepare" for the update
  • Options

Oh ok, I hadn't watched the video so I stand corrected lol.

I know that you can't implement an update in any timezone without screwing over another, and releasing it at a different time is not what I was calling for, just a more accurate window of the anticipated release time rather than something as broad as "next week" other games and their devs notify players of when their updates have been submitted for certification and you can usually bet that the update will pass and roll out 1-3 days from cert depending on the size of the game and update

I wonder if they released their updates through the App Store instead of through Client Restarts, then all this could be avoided. We would have advanced notifications, and maybe they would test out the updates more, resulting in fewer bugs.
  • Options
    @CaptainRex a lot of updates in this game seem to be designed along the lines of "rush it out and fix the problems at a later date" almost every update that comes out brings new bugs with it (which is expected most of the time) but also we see old bugs resurfacing a hell of a lot more than we should, delaying the updates a few days to allow for proper play testing wouldn't hurt the game but it just seems like the devs don't want to waste the time or resources and would much rather run "damage control" once the update is live and we have had to handle the bugs for a while
  • Options
    Jevon wrote: »

So getting a few extra guild currency for yourself makes you a 'good guild member'?
    you are aware Raid tickets are produced by spending energy and cantina energy? not from the Daily Guild Activities?

So you're saying making sure you get your guild the maximum amount of currency is a bad thing?
  • Options
    I wonder if they released their updates through the App Store instead of through Client Restarts, then all this could be avoided. We would have advanced notifications, and maybe they would test out the updates more, resulting in fewer bugs.

The problem with that is the App Store/Google Play can't force players to update to the latest version, potentially resulting in players accessing the game with different versions. The game itself can force an update if one is detected, which it already does, but if you do that, forcing players to go into the App Store is just an extra step that isn't really necessary. It's easier to just get the game to download the updates when it detects them.
  • Options

So you're saying making sure you get your guild the maximum amount of currency is a bad thing?

Did he ever say it was a bad thing?

I don't think most guilds even care about maxing out on dailies. Long as the 600 gets done. It's just another tedious unnecessary thing to do.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »

I don't think most guilds even care about maxing out on dailies. Long as the 600 gets done. It's just another tedious unnecessary thing to do.

I've seen posts for guilds requiring a minimum for each day's activity. I saw one that required 10 pvp attempts, which would require either skipping your own arena hour or doing a crystal refresh for arena every week. That, I thought was bonkers.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    Mullato wrote: »

I've seen posts for guilds requiring a minimum for each day's activity. I saw one that required 10 pvp attempts, which would require either skipping your own arena hour or doing a crystal refresh for arena every week. That, I thought was bonkers.

Wow.
  • Sleek_Viper
    345 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ABNRAS wrote: »

I understand both points. This just reminds me of how they would drop double drops out of no where around 7pm most days saying a "2 day event" when were already ending the first day. Its the lack of communication we're all upset with. A simple early message this morning could have avoided this entire botched update.
    Travelling through Hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy!
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Updates are probably released in miscellaneous time zones first that way if a big issue happens they can catch and fix it before releasing it in the US. Just sayin'
  • Options

the maximum amount of currency you can get your guild is 600/600 a day from energy and cantina energy...
    Doing 24 Galactic war nodes in a day only gets YOU (not the guild) additional guild currency at payout time.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

the maximum amount of currency you can get your guild is 600/600 a day from energy and cantina energy...
    Doing 24 Galactic war nodes in a day only gets YOU (not the guild) additional guild currency at payout time.

If not everybody is completing their GW, then some people doing more nodes means the guild as a whole is more likely to complete tier VII and thus everybody gets more guild coins, not just you.
  • DruBacca
    119 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

If you're being a good guild member you're not doing GW today so that shouldn't be an issue[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You couldn't be more wrong @Jevon, it absolutely benefits the other members when we all do it (and it's 36 nodes btw) because we get to higher payout brackets. And guild activities are the ONLY place to build raid tix
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I completed all my daily challenges, but a single day difference isn't going to make much difference out of months of playing. This is getting really picky to complain about in my opinion. Plenty of more important things in the game to have issues with.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    DruBacca wrote: »

You couldn't be more wrong @Jevon, it absolutely benefits the other members when we all do it (and it's 36 nodes btw) because we get to higher payout brackets. And guild activities are the ONLY place to build raid tix

No, guild activities don't build raid tickets. That comes solely from energy use, of any type, regardless of what the daily activity is.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    DruBacca wrote: »

No, guild activities don't build raid tickets. That comes solely from energy use, of any type, regardless of what the daily activity is.

^ this is the point I have been trying to make, raid tickets are only from energy spent, not activities. This is a common misconception people make. Activites only give YOU guild currency (the currency you use to buy stuff from the guild store) the 600/600 is what builds raid tickets for the guild to launch raids.