Can I lose any ships to 3 star a Ship Challenge

I finally got enough ships to run Tier 3 of the Ship Ability Materials challenge. I was able to finish it but lost a couple ships along the way. How many ships can I lose to 3 star a Ship Challenge? I don't have to beat all 8 enemy ships with just 5 do I?

Replies

• Options
    sadly, yes.
  • Options
    You can't lose any. Which makes reinforcements pointless. Which is poor game design.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    You can't lose any. Which makes reinforcements pointless. Which is poor game design.

not entirely
    clearing the battle with help of your reinforcements > not being able to clear the battle at all.
    personally i'd rather sim a lower tier than having to battle manually, but that's just me.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Noval749
    117 posts Member
    Options
    If someone is trying to three star a challenge, reinforcements really are pointless and should not be required to start the battle.
  • Darkjoe1990
    197 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Noval749 wrote: »
    If someone is trying to three star a challenge, reinforcements really are pointless and should not be required to start the battle.

+1

For real just let me dump all my resources into 5 dark side ships and be done with it! it is so tedious to 4*/5* 8 dark side ships.
  • slugbahr
    365 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Noval749 wrote: »

+1

For real just let me dump all my resources into 5 dark side ships and be done with it! it is so tedious to 4*/5* 8 dark side ships.

It's 8 5* ships that can be a combination of light and dark. Not just 8 dark.

Edit: it is kinda stupid that you don't need more than 5, if you're trying to 3* it. But you need 8 to unlock it.
    Of course we want to 3* and SIM it, never to battle it again.
  • Options
    So wait why do people always say they need dark side ships at 5* to get Zeta's?
  • Options
    Because you need 5* Executerix for zeta challenge.
  • Options

Because you need them to get Tarkin's Ship in order to do the zeta tier
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

not entirely
    clearing the battle with help of your reinforcements > not being able to clear the battle at all.
    personally i'd rather sim a lower tier than having to battle manually, but that's just me.

Normally, yes, but with this being the only other place to farm zetas in the entire game than the awful exchange rate in the shipments, this is a case of poor game design. If I have to 3* a tier, then I will not ever use reinforcements, so why am I required to use them
  • Options
    Ah okay now that makes more sense!
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member
    Options
    Thecore wrote: »
    Because you need 5* Executerix for zeta challenge.

Because you need them to get Tarkin's Ship in order to do the zeta tier

I am pretty sure you only need five 4-star dark side ships to acquire the 5* executrix. Then, you need eight 5-star ships of either LS or DS to do the challenge.
  • Options
    Cool then I am one dark side ship away from being able to attempt it! However my dark side ships are not that leveled and I just have Sun Fac, Tie Advance, Slave 1, and Kylo Ren's Shuttle 4*. Everything else is 2* however my Tie Fighter Pilot is almost 7* so I'll work on his ship.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

not entirely

Normally, yes, but with this being the only other place to farm zetas in the entire game than the awful exchange rate in the shipments, this is a case of poor game design. If I have to 3* a tier, then I will not ever use reinforcements, so why am I required to use them

you don't have to 3* a tier to get the rewards.
  • Darkjoe1990
    197 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's not required but the idea is that it should be possible. If you can 3* a challenge with 5 ships it's just more economical for your resources to just focus on 5 ships. Obviously this does nothing for you in the fleet battles though.

If ship battles were balanced with regular battles then you should technically 3* a challenge as long as no more than 3 ships drop. I'm not sure I agree with this but that is the logic here.
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    Options
    I think if you have 5 ships standing at the end of the battle you should get 3*. I mean I know it's possible for your original 5 to beat the ais but as stated above the reinforcements are useless when it comes to getting the 3*. I wish this was something they would look into changing.
  • Options

not entirely

You do if you want to be efficient. If you have to actually do the battle every single time there's a chance that you will lose and waste an attempt at the already rare Zeta materials.
  • Options
    Probably because it's intended that once you unlock it, it will almost certainly require reinforcements to beat it. Then keep upgrading your ships for a few months and you will be able to 3* it with 5 ships. They don't expect you to 3* it the day you unlock it
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

not entirely

You do if you want to be efficient. If you have to actually do the battle every single time there's a chance that you will lose and waste an attempt at the already rare Zeta materials.

you won't lose an attempt if you fail.
    It should be difficult to get the ships needed to unlock the challenge. It should also be difficult to 3* the challenge once unlocked. It's not bad game design, it's intentional.
    You need the 8 ships to unlock the challenge and you'll need 5 good ships to 3* the challenge. It's as simple as that.
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options

not entirely

You're contradicting your own argument...

If Zeta's are as important as you contend (which they are) and this is the only place you can get them from gameplay rewards (which it is) then any completion - whether it be 1* using reinforcements, 3* without them, or simmed - is a positive step and a god use of time.

All your evidence supports the exact opposite conclusion from the one you made.
  • Options
    You need 8 ships as a requirement to unlock the challenge. It doesn't mean you need 8 ships to complete the challenge.

I honestly don't understand how complicated this is to understand. If they made the requirement only 5 ships, then MORE people will be able to do this challenge. The game wants to make the requirement "longer", "more diffcult", etc to make you grind for more ships and make you "earn" the challenge.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    They should really change it. At least 6 ships.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    Options
    You need 8 ships as a requirement to unlock the challenge. It doesn't mean you need 8 ships to complete the challenge.

I honestly don't understand how complicated this is to understand. If they made the requirement only 5 ships, then MORE people will be able to do this challenge. The game wants to make the requirement "longer", "more diffcult", etc to make you grind for more ships and make you "earn" the challenge.

I don't mind needing 8 ships to unlock the challenge, it's just if you want to 3* the challenge then 3 of those 8 are worthless. I understand it is supposed to be a challenge to 3* it but 5v8 is bad odds. And while I know many out there have 3* it and it can be done, my idea was as long as you have 5 ships standing even if you lost 1 or 2 you should still get 3*, just my opinion though.
  • Options
    fascizio wrote: »

not entirely

If Zeta's are as important as you contend (which they are) and this is the only place you can get them from gameplay rewards (which it is) then any completion - whether it be 1* using reinforcements, 3* without them, or simmed - is a positive step and a god use of time.

Except for the time factor and they complete reduction of a failure. If you sim it is guaranteed to win, whereas if you actually fight you have the potential to lose and not get anything and you've just wasted 1 of the few attempts you have for that day. Next time actually look at my argument before saying that I contradict myself because my point is very clear if you can read. It is not efficient to 1* a battle and repeatedly do so.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    fascizio wrote: »

not entirely

Except for the time factor and they complete reduction of a failure. If you sim it is guaranteed to win, whereas if you actually fight you have the potential to lose and not get anything and you've just wasted 1 of the few attempts you have for that day. Next time actually look at my argument before saying that I contradict myself because my point is very clear if you can read. It is not efficient to 1* a battle and repeatedly do so.

again, you don't lose an attempt if you lose.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Kids, kids. Let's all just agree that the 3s requirements they have for any ship challenge is a very stupid carryover mechanic from arena battles and needs to be redone. Yes?

Personally I think the rule should be that you 3s it if you have 5 remaining ships. They can give me 3 reinforcements or no reinforcements so long as I have 5 ships at the end.

QOL upgrade achievement -> Completed.

PS. They should also remove broken FOTP's tie fighters from some of the captain challenges. They're so ridiculously jacked up on steroid speed that they're impossible to beat with the reqs. But I suppose that's a different thread for a different day.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    Kids, kids. Let's all just agree that the 3s requirements they have for any ship challenge is a very **** carryover mechanic from arena battles and needs to be redone. Yes?

Personally I think the rule should be that you 3s it if you have 5 remaining ships. They can give me 3 reinforcements or no reinforcements so long as I have 5 ships at the end.

QOL upgrade achievement -> Completed.

I had fun trying to get 3stars on the zeta challenge, it was in fact a challenge. So i guess i don't agreen ;)
  • Tilar
    22 posts Member
    Options
    And you don't get better rewards for 3 starring it... sooo doing it manual has no difference than simming besides saving time and not having to mess with it.
    -Mister Moo-