What $ amount makes a whale?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    I have spent $250 since I started playing in mid-December($100 for Kylo bundle, which came with Poe and $50 worth of crystals. $50 for nightsister bundle with Barris, Ventress, etc. and $100 crystal bundle)
    I will probably buy another $100 crystal bundle soon. I don't do the chromium card lottery. My experience so far has been good to me, as I don't get thrown back further than #15 at any point in the day and love burrowing my way back into the top 5 by 6 p.m. I have placed #1 and 2 a few times each and enjoy getting some of my "investment" back in the form of crystals. A few of us like to toss the resident "killer whale" around. From the looks of it, he/she has spent hundreds if not low thousands for his Leia, FOTP, and Qui-Gon. I have written this for those of you who are interested in what is going on with other leaderboards.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I think what's amazing is how game makers have over time raised costs so high -- and gotten so good with the gambling / psychological manipulation -- that the amount for what's considered a "whale" has dramatically increased. I read an article from a couple of years back that defined a "whale" as anyone who spent more than $30 on a game. Around here anyone who has spent only $30 since launch is considered "near-F2P".

Oh the days when a simple video game would be $50, maybe $30 for a hand held device.

Remember when games went up to $60, and the SHTF.

Now, with all this micro-transaction stuff (which I hate and wish didn't exist) I would gladly pay $60 for a full, unlocked game... for any system/device.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    AAA game provides more quality , content is game time and mobile games due to the nature of casual gaming have more replay value i.e. Default content than a aaa title could

Also ease of access makes mobile have value

Then you have limitations of the platform , higher quality games on mobile are rare and therefore are able to gain high iap costs

Really mobile games have the perfect bubble economy

Casual who wants to be perceived hardcore
    Rarity of tog quality mobile
    Perceived competition (Pvp) in a mobile environment
    Pay to play advantage not available in a aaa title

Equals extreme spending habits and potential, its the reason all strong app games charge 4.99 9.99 19.99 49.99 and a best value iap for 99.99. Research has shown your brain logically assigns 99.99 as the value you now calculate down

I.e. You compare gem to cash ration and then rationalize that it makes more sense to pay 99.99 once than 4.99x20 because of roi

But the irony is that first purchase now becomes easier to influence more 99.99 and less anything else and solidifies ownership so when flash packs with quarented items or characters is offered not only are you more inclined to purchase but you now perceive your prior investment diminishing if you do not buy to stay on top of every meta shift

Facts are what they are , I am not assigning value statements to this as good or bad
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Hehe I'm a 'non-player' but ranked 11th on my server.

Go figure!
    Ummm...non-PAYer

ETA: And good luck in GW. ;)

Doh! Read it on my mobile.

Clocked GW again today. Wasn't too bad. No L70 teams today
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Prscustom wrote: »
    what a pointless thread why do you care

So when the OP has to start calling names, he at least knows which names to call whom! ;)

YES! You got it!

Prscustom wrote: »
    what a pointless thread why do you care

It's much less pointless than your response.

Because I read several times (including in this thread) "Whales have full teams of 7*" and I have experience with the chronium lottery. A full team of 7* even with lots of luck would cost around 2 grand, at least, chronium really is that bad. So I was curious the average idea of what a whale is. I've been playing under a month and spent over 1k, and I have 3 7*, JC, Lumi, and Sid, JC & Lumi are fairly easy to get, and there are far harder to get toons than Sid (Leia & Old Ben for instance)
  • Options
    I have spent over 400 bucks on this game in like a day. Mainly because i wanted Yoda but i realized the rolls are just plain bad. I feel horrible now. Enjoy your dinner EA.
  • Jaqen_Hghar
    491 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think what's amazing is how game makers have over time raised costs so high -- and gotten so good with the gambling / psychological manipulation -- that the amount for what's considered a "whale" has dramatically increased. I read an article from a couple of years back that defined a "whale" as anyone who spent more than $30 on a game. Around here anyone who has spent only $30 since launch is considered "near-F2P".

I always hated gambling. Then I decided to support this game by contributing while also helping speed up my process at getting Yoda. Ended well because I am happy and truly hope this game becomes successful because I love Star Wars. However, I still don't have Yoda and decided to remove my credit card from google play. "Oh it's just 1 chromium pack" ... 10 chromium packs later ... "I'M SO CLOSE JUST 1 MORE I'LL DEF GET IT THIS TIME". I also decided to stop drinking vodka while playing SWGOH during Yoda week.
  • Options
    Holy ****... I can't believe how bent over these companies have everyone. $60 for a PS or Xbox game used to be standard but now people are discussing spending hundreds, if not thousands, on a game they don't even own and can go bye bye at any moment. Insanity. And it accepted like its nothing and you are just 'supporting the game'. You don't think these developers were making money at $60 a pop?

It's a mobile app!! I think I'll take something tangible, like a Les Paul instead. Les Paul or virtual Yoda... Hmmmmmm.

OK, feel free to flame away.
  • YoYoYoda369
    181 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rv8HgYu.pngyzhdRkA.png
    JeUGLcK.png
    7RP3bOa.png
    CKqeskf.png
    hQwvzz7.png

Does this make me a whale?
  • Options
    Holy ****... I can't believe how bent over these companies have everyone. $60 for a PS or Xbox game used to be standard but now people are discussing spending hundreds, if not thousands, on a game they don't even own and can go bye bye at any moment. Insanity. And it accepted like its nothing and you are just 'supporting the game'. You don't think these developers were making money at $60 a pop?

It's a mobile app!! I think I'll take something tangible, like a Les Paul instead. Les Paul or virtual Yoda... Hmmmmmm.

OK, feel free to flame away.

People pay hundreds for a female or male friend in order to get 30 seconds-45 minutes of entertainment. People contribute money all the time to support protest movements. Others buy the PS4, X box 1, tons of games, and spend money on DLC's. Tangible.... intangible... don't really matter with regards to your post.

Not flaming though :). You like this game so far? What do you think about the latest update?
  • Options
    Im sorry but $1000 a week. I can bet that $52,000 that no one spends $52,000 in a year on this game. Why would you make this an option ****?
  • Options
    I think if you spent more on the game than on a good device to play it, that's whale territory.
  • Options
    rv8HgYu.pngyzhdRkA.png
    JeUGLcK.png
    7RP3bOa.png
    CKqeskf.png
    hQwvzz7.png

King of whales, or King of Wallets. Not sure though.
    548-145-651 | Playing since Dec 28th (:
  • Options

I always hated gambling. Then I decided to support this game by contributing while also helping speed up my process at getting Yoda. Ended well because I am happy and truly hope this game becomes successful because I love Star Wars. However, I still don't have Yoda and decided to remove my credit card from google play. "Oh it's just 1 chromium pack" ... 10 chromium packs later ... "I'M SO CLOSE JUST 1 MORE I'LL DEF GET IT THIS TIME". I also decided to stop drinking vodka while playing SWGOH during Yoda week.[/quote]

I love vodka too. It's a bad combination with a credit card and this game. Next morning wake up to an evermore buyers remorse guilt trip.
  • Options
    where is the 7*Yoda from the Poll? 7*Yoda and you are whale
  • somegame8861
    271 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ChazSunray wrote: »
    I have spent $250 since I started playing in mid-December($100 for Kylo bundle, which came with Poe and $50 worth of crystals. $50 for nightsister bundle with Barris, Ventress, etc. and $100 crystal bundle)
    I will probably buy another $100 crystal bundle soon. I don't do the chromium card lottery. My experience so far has been good to me, as I don't get thrown back further than #15 at any point in the day and love burrowing my way back into the top 5 by 6 p.m. I have placed #1 and 2 a few times each and enjoy getting some of my "investment" back in the form of crystals. A few of us like to toss the resident "killer whale" around. From the looks of it, he/she has spent hundreds if not low thousands for his Leia, FOTP, and Qui-Gon. I have written this for those of you who are interested in what is going on with other leaderboards.

Same
    Post edited by somegame8861 on
  • Options
    @YoYoYoda369 Whale of the ocean.. How much you spent? im just wondering.
  • Options
    Fun read thanks

I wish i had a mobile game to play, but ...
  • Options
    As an advocate for animal welfare, id like to make a video game with IAP and a popular mobile game and then save animals and stop people who hurt then. Also educate and lobby politians
  • Options

Excellent post, Yoyoda. You are surely a guy to follow.
    Having all at 7* you still had F2P Poe team. What do you use now?
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1000 for a mobile app omg. For same price you could do a trip in a far country super cool
  • YoYoYoda369
    181 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am currently running QGJ (lead), Old Ben, Yoda, Geo Soldier, and Poe. Once I develop Anakin a little more, I will probably run a squad as him in the lead.

(And, I've spent just enough to be where I want....)
  • Options
    Song wrote: »
    @YoYoYoda369 Whale of the ocean.. How much you spent? im just wondering.

I would like to know that also. Just if you want to tell us of course.
  • Options
    Follow up questions to the whales that we'll never remember: what is your occupation?
  • MackemSLAM
    346 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've spend in the region of £500/£$700.

The 7* chromium characters are still a a dream to me.

I figure I'd have to more than double what I have spent already just to get Leia from her current 4* to 7* and level her up.

I don't even have Old Ben, Lando or Darth Maul unlocked, let alone starred, levelled and geared.
  • Options

I am currently running QGJ (lead), Old Ben, Yoda, Geo Soldier, and Poe. Once I develop Anakin a little more, I will probably run a squad as him in the lead.

What's left to develop for anakin? He's 7* and level 70......
  • Options

What's left to develop for anakin? He's 7* and level 70......

I haven't geared every character yet... that in itself is the most difficult task.