Want to balance arena and sell more crystals? Lock gear/levels behind stars

Replies

• Options
    Hey I am all about getting more whale perks, but I think this will just tick off a lot of players and probably isn't a good idea
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JinSaotome wrote: »
    It's a shame a large number of the people replying here didn't bother to read my post. Iv'e enjoyed the destructive power of a 4* jawa engineer and a 5* GK has kept me in the top. It's not fair to others, this raw low-star power that's making gamebreaking teams instantly viable. I would rather have worked my way up to #1 as I starred up JE than instantly rose and held that spot when I unlocked him.

A slower pace means longer QoL. Here people instantly gear up and get bored of their characters. You can see it in the replies. "Waaah it'll be a paywall, waaah it'll destroy the game, waaah op wants to be #1 again". Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm finally enjoying battling my way into the top 20 again! With my 5* GK I can crush teams I normally couldn't touch with my 7* K2.

I don't struggle because of opponents character star level, rather RNG dodges/stealth/insane TM. I found I can beat a 7* Zaul team just as easy as I can one with less stars. It all depends if B2 can land ability block on Maul or Emperor. That's it. But I SHOULDN'T be able to stay in the 20's with just a 5* GK being the factor. Just like I shouldn't have been able to use JE at Max gear and Max level the moment I unlocked him.

A slower pace means more people quit because of a wider gap between p2p and f2p.

Sorry but if people insta gear a toon and get bored then they are playing the wrong game. And it is not easy to gear a toon, so anyone doing that is probably paying and would 7* if they choose.

What you are suggesting is more game breaking then a 3-4* toon being in the meta and possibly to place #1 every day, even 3 of them on a team is still less game breading then what you propose.

By the way, you do realize that the basic counter to the most common team using said 3-4* toons is a f2p set of "classic" toons that have been around for a while, with maybe 1 or 2 new ones and can do I with 1 or less zetas...
  • Options
    Horrible idea. I assume OP buys the premium toons. This would actually give credence to the complainers saying it's not fair they only got a 3* character and it's not viable. Additionally, then why would 99% of the player base care about new character releases? Also, it would cut into the $$$ for people buying gear.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    A slower pace means more people quit because of a wider gap between p2p and f2p.

Sorry but if people insta gear a toon and get bored then they are playing the wrong game. And it is not easy to gear a toon, so anyone doing that is probably paying and would 7* if they choose.

Except you're wrong, on both accounts.

#1. This game is all about slow pace. That's the very core function of it. EA wants you to keep coming back multiple times a day, keep coming back to farm Fotp and Ewok scout, slow and steady. They give you multiple goals that cannot be achieved instantly. Farm, Star, level, gear, team synergy, etc. Creating a usable character should follow the same system, except it doesn't right now.

#2. Apparently everyone is playing the wrong game. Everyone. Because I keep seeing "Lets have more content EA!" over and over on both forums. Didn't we just get a TON of new characters? A brand new sith meta? A bunch of events? Oh, you mean everyone has the same characters at 3-4* unlocked, using them in arena and are now bored? Gee you don't say. How's that Nhillus working out? And that Krooper combo? It's already stale? Go figure. Maybe if people had to work at levelling up their characters to be useful they'd discover new metas over time and let arena naturally evolve instead of drastically changing day 1 upon activation.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    Horrible idea. I assume OP buys the premium toons. This would actually give credence to the complainers saying it's not fair they only got a 3* character and it's not viable. Additionally, then why would 99% of the player base care about new character releases? Also, it would cut into the $$$ for people buying gear.

Not at all, I haven't bought a single toon. I farm everything through shops. In fact the only shards I've purchased were Lobot shards when Rex wasn't available so I could run droids on phase 1 of Rancor. By the way I have a 7* one gear away from 11 Lobot. I raised him from a tiny lil' circuit the hard way.

And to answer your questions:
    They would have to farm that character to know if they're viable or not. Rather than read about it day 1 on a site. There would be new discoveries all the time.

Why would they care about new characters? Because they will be given a goal and the chance to find a new meta themselves. A character at 3* would suddenly become the new meta at 7*, but they'd only find that out if they worked on it.

How would it cut into buying gear? Do you buy stun cuffs for the 15 different characters icons you see at the bottom of your screen every time one appears in the shop? Nobody does. And it's frustrating to see a giant scrolling banner if characters that need Holo disks. If they had to star up their characters before gearing them the 'gear wall' would be non-existent. Nobody would be cool planing about the thousands of purple items they need right now, immediately, to hear that 2* guy to 11!
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Not at all, I haven't bought a single toon. I farm everything through shops. In fact the only shards I've purchased were Lobot shards when Rex wasn't available so I could run droids on phase 1 of Rancor. By the way I have a 7* one gear away from 11 Lobot. I raised him from a tiny lil' circuit the hard way.

And to answer your questions:
    They would have to farm that character to know if they're viable or not. Rather than read about it day 1 on a site. There would be new discoveries all the time.

Why would they care about new characters? Because they will be given a goal and the chance to find a new meta themselves. A character at 3* would suddenly become the new meta at 7*, but they'd only find that out if they worked on it.

How would it cut into buying gear? Do you buy stun cuffs for the 15 different characters icons you see at the bottom of your screen every time one appears in the shop? Nobody does. And it's frustrating to see a giant scrolling banner if characters that need Holo disks. If they had to star up their characters before gearing them the 'gear wall' would be non-existent. Nobody would be cool planing about the thousands of purple items they need right now, immediately, to hear that 2* guy to 11!

First off, I can't help but wonder if this is actually a troll post. I'll pretend it's not, but a gear XI Lobot?

1). That's all well in good (I've done that for many too), but to 7* some of these new characters it will take a better part of a year if you're just starting. For example, you'd be okay with needing to wait a better part of a year to farm Shoretrooper so he's viable?

2). This is how Freemium works. Player is really close to the next gear level for said character and excited about getting the character to the new gear level. He then buys crystals (aka the micro transaction). While I have the crystals saved up, soon as the last piece I need for Shaman shows up in shipments better believe I'll have 1400 crystals less. I'd imagine impulse buys contribute quite a bit to the cash flow (probably 2nd to whales).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'll ask again, you think turning the meta upside down is a bad thing?
    What is delaying the meta-breakers arena viability going accomplish? He's still gonna break the meta, only difference is he won't be attainable that fast for light spenders and f2p players, if attainable at all. To me that doesn't sound like it would make the game more interresting at all. It will probably result in a super stale meta.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Jim17547 wrote: »
    Funny I haven't seen you as an option to attack in weeks. Probably cause I'm in first with some others and you dropped to 40th

Aww a proud sheep :lol::lol:
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »
    Jim17547 wrote: »
    Funny I haven't seen you as an option to attack in weeks. Probably cause I'm in first with some others and you dropped to 40th

Aww a proud sheep :lol::lol:

sheep > serial whiner ;)
    unfortunately the 2 aren't mutually exclusive
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Not really sure how truly paylocking all new characters helps increase profits. For whales, the star difference is probably inconsequential; for dolphins and guppies it's just more of a reason to stick with the classics (and, at that, just more of a reason to stagnate as arena becomes impossible to improve at); for totally free to play players it's just one more way the gap gets bigger.

I honest to God can't understand the impulse behind bashing people who stay competitive as the meta shifts. I transition from team to team as my shard demands, and I have a ton of fun experimenting with different teams in GW and battling my way through raids. What exactly do you want for sticking to the clunkers, a pat on the back?
  • Loken
    12 posts Member
    Options
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions...
  • Options
    @OP please no. What's next? Only megawhales can use the new 4* chars?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Except you're wrong, on both accounts.

#1. This game is all about slow pace. That's the very core function of it. EA wants you to keep coming back multiple times a day, keep coming back to farm Fotp and Ewok scout, slow and steady. They give you multiple goals that cannot be achieved instantly. Farm, Star, level, gear, team synergy, etc. Creating a usable character should follow the same system, except it doesn't right now.

#2. Apparently everyone is playing the wrong game. Everyone. Because I keep seeing "Lets have more content EA!" over and over on both forums. Didn't we just get a TON of new characters? A brand new sith meta? A bunch of events? Oh, you mean everyone has the same characters at 3-4* unlocked, using them in arena and are now bored? Gee you don't say. How's that Nhillus working out? And that Krooper combo? It's already stale? Go figure. Maybe if people had to work at levelling up their characters to be useful they'd discover new metas over time and let arena naturally evolve instead of drastically changing day 1 upon activation.

Yes things are paced, but if I can unlock a character and gear them up while collecting shards, it gives me multiple goals. Concurrent things to do, and if I want to make a toon useful I can spend crystals on gear to get them ready.

In your system, I have 1 goal, then I hit a point and have another goal, this would kill the pace, and cause people who don't plan out multiple layers of gear (not shown in game) to not want to keep playing and those that might spend crystals on gear to wait because they know they have weeks to hit the next lvl cap even with some supplementing from the shop.

And then multiply this by 5 because that's the size of most teams.

Asking for new content is because the game pace is already slow, but you would make it slower, that's bad. People want new content because some of the farms are so long the toons they are farming may have goals but there is little to do while waiting. And yes some of them are, people want different things from this game very few (like very very few) want more of a grind and a slower tiered grind at that.

Anyone using an arena toon did work, gear is not easy. Most people asking for content want playable content, they want something to do with their shiny new nihilus. No one is asking for more grind all the time.
  • Options
    The best way they could make money is to charge crystals to remove gear from one toon to another.
  • Options
    Because spending months to unlock Kenobi, then spending a month or so on gearing him isn't enough? let's wait a few more months till we get him to 7*. great idea.

I definitely don't want my Baze, who took a month to farm to be any useful either. or my shoretrooper
  • Options
    I think having ship abilities locked by gear level will be motivation enough to Star up toons as they release more ships.

There should continue to be no star requirement in arena.

Early game it would absolutey imbalance the game even more as many toons are not farmable until later in the game.
  • Options
    NinFang wrote: »
    Because spending months to unlock Kenobi, then spending a month or so on gearing him isn't enough? let's wait a few more months till we get him to 7*. great idea.

I definitely don't want my Baze, who took a month to farm to be any useful either. or my shoretrooper

Huh? You don't make any sense. You can still collect the needed gear, just not equip it...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Huh? You don't make any sense. You can still collect the needed gear, just not equip it...

Which would then make him useless despite all the time spent already. How does that not make sense?
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

Which would then make him useless despite all the time spent already. How does that not make sense?

Because it doesn't. It won't make anybody useless, once you star him up you will still be able to equip the gear... According to OP's idea.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

Because it doesn't. It won't make anybody useless, once you star him up you will still be able to equip the gear... According to OP's idea.

Yes, but at one hard node it will take me a YEAR to star up Baze. Which means for that entire year, when I am not allowed to make him g11, he is useless.
  • Options
    +1. Ships are much more dependent on star level. I agree characters should too. There's hardly a noticible deference between 6* and 7* GK. But if you were locked out of g11 until 7*, it would be much more significant.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    This has got to be the worst idea I've ever seen floated on the forums.
  • Bossk_Hogg
    335 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Got killed plz nerf

Spoken like an entitled metababby.

Says the droid crybaby. "Mah droids! The same 6 toons I've used for ages! Why do I need to branch out?!"
  • Options
    Worst idea ever. Adding yet another grind to slow down f2p wouldn't add anything to the game it would remove tons of players. P2p need an advantage and they have one no need to make half the player base rage quit to give them a bigger one.
  • Options
    I honestly think this idea would make more F2P players leave the game than any other idea I've seen here before
  • Options
    Bossk_Hogg wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

Says the droid crybaby. "Mah droids! The same 6 toons I've used for ages! Why do I need to branch out?!"

+1

Like I said earlier, seems to be common among droid players. Same few toons their entire time with the game, all other toons barely an afterthought.
  • Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    This has got to be the worst idea I've ever seen floated on the forums.

Agreed. And that says something.
  • Options
    Thorozar11 wrote: »
    Bossk_Hogg wrote: »
    Got killed plz nerf

+1

Like I said earlier, seems to be common among droid players. Same few toons their entire time with the game, all other toons barely an afterthought.

:lol: What a silly, ingnorant thing to think. I've been playing since Nov 15, have a maxed res and empire team and an currently working on a BH squad. What do you think I did with all the free crystals I've earned from investing in such a good meta-proof team :wink:
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    it is way too late to change a game like that
  • rawman
    685 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are you even serious? That's by far the least worthy to support proposal I've ever read in the forums.